• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Writewolf

Sergeant
44 Badges
Nov 24, 2020
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Empire of Sin
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
Hi there, thanks for looking at my AAR ^^ It's my first AAR so I hope you'll be costructive in your comments.
I took the inspiration from the story of Tomas Torquemada, infamous inquisitor under the Reyes Catolicos. And my "What if?" was: what if Ferdinando and Isabella didn't support Torquemada?
I also decided to start with the canonic start date, in order to control a bit more the events.
I'll try to be engaging even if I found natural to keep a "history book" POV.
This is also just a gustatio, an appetizer, mainly focused in presenting the starting situation, so maybe it won't be the best ^^'

Spain, A.D. 1444. The King Juan de Trastàmara is on the throne. Although he had a fine education, his talents are hampered and deeply choked by his natural shyness. Juan was trained for the battlefield but he liked better to study literature.

His plan was to unify the Hiberia, in order to create a new spring of culture. However it wasn’t an easy game: the nobility was very powerful and Juan’s preference for refined pleasures wasn’t something they liked.

Juan started committing to a royal marriage with Portugal, Aragon and Navarra, conscious that “together we stand, apart we fall”.

Meanwhile he decided to settle clear borders between Hiberia and France, declaring as rivals France and Burgundy. He wasn’t sure about a war against them but he was sure that he needed to soften the rivalry against England, in order to please Portugal.

Juan then confessed to his wife, Dona Isabella, that he wanted to “make the rose wilt”, referencing to King Henry the V. Dona Isabella smirked and whispered to the King that it was easier to “wilt the lily”, suggesting perhaps to compete against the France.

Thanks ^^ Counting I am a chump in EUIV (I sometimes can't quite enter in the game) I'll just try to make an entertaining story. I guess it's the best way to learn, no?
It is indeed the best way to learn. :D

Welcome to AAR writing!

Welcome! And already a dispute between our monarchs! That might not bode well.

Welcome! And already a dispute between our monarchs! That might not bode well.
Hi ^^
it wasn't actually a dispute. Dona Isabella is a clear minded woman, who knows how to play the game well and King Juan appreciates her support. And after all, we're on 1444, so soon choices may be easier to be made....I guess you can work out what I mean ;)

(This new chapter will take longer. Aside that I need to get familiar with EUIV, I want to keep this "history book" style. I had a smooth game, so I tried to make it deeper. The problem is that I have to, like, make some researches or at least invent something about the new events. I hope I can publish something before CHristmas though)

(This new chapter will take longer. Aside that I need to get familiar with EUIV, I want to keep this "history book" style. I had a smooth game, so I tried to make it deeper. The problem is that I have to, like, make some researches or at least invent something about the new events. I hope I can publish something before CHristmas though)
Take the time you need. :)

Peekaboo! After AGES, I managed to write this new chapter. Things were a little more symbolic in the game so I had fun flowering them with some episodes. Studing Ancient Literature and having a penchant with everything tied to culture it was a rather easy game to build something. Of course the downside is that maybe it would be hard to distinguish reality, game and fiction, but I did my best. Sorry for the form, since I am writing this part a bit high on coffee XD (Yes, I'm a bit of a coffee addicted)

Maybe God listened to Dona Isabella, for after few years, England and France declared war to each other. The cause was the Surrender of the Maine, the holding which was given in the treaty of Tours. Regrettably, England was weak but not humble, and so war was declared.

Neither the Lily nor the rose were near to the gardener, as well: if England was so weak that wilting was almost natural, Portugal didn’t wait to support it. As for France, it could count with his vassals while alliances and vassalization was still at the starting line for Castille.

Juan retreated then in developing his domain, starting from hiring Ermenigildo de Zuniga, an old and experienced diplomat, who had a strong way of speak, unexpected from his ailing and fragile physique.

His passionate and decisive campaign as Castille as the champion of the faith, realized by the Avilian poet Paco Ramirez, filled the castillan regions of Soria and Roja of zeal against the Moors, so much that a new and more ordered enlistment was required.

Another beneficial effect of the campaign was that the state of Naples considered to ally with Castille. This sympathy was not stranger to the exploit of the precious dresses of Palencia. The Palencian women, in fact, started to sew magnificent dresses with elegant nuances, thanks to a particular sewing technique discovered by the old and wise Magdalena Alquantara.

The old lady, which was immediately nominated countess of Palencia, was married immediately to the count of Avellino, Maso del Sasso.

Sadly the marriage was abruptly interrupted by the war between Aragon and Naples.

Juan didn’t join the fight, both for his still unready battalions and for the difficult choice between a weak and interesting port and an old-timed friend and companion.

Juan was frustrated by the constant indecision so the claim of Granadians against Sevilla was a beneficial target for all the energies of his nation.

So much people were interested in the incoming fight that nobles asked for help to the king against the migrations. In fact, serfs slowly started to move in cities and become artisans, instead of staying in the latifundia producing raw products. Juan decreed that any serf under an outrageous incoming level (cronicles tells us that any serf with that unprecised income could just buy the whole estate and run it as a noble) couldn’t move out the estate.

Although this spurred corruption and dependence between working class and nobles, two notables exceptions happened:

In Cordoba, the old Hebrew Miriam, who were working under the arrogant Duke Bartolomé Quintana, was saved from a cruel flogging by the apparition of the grancousin of Juan, the Bishop Martin de Sevillan, recently deceased. The apparition was enough for make Martin a Saint (celebrated on the 15th of April) and convince the old Miriam to be baptized with the name of Martina. Her story and genuine faith made conversions so frequent that Juan allowed special permission for even moriscos to take vows, at price of serving for a certain period in the Royal Tailoring, before taking vows.

The fact and second exception of the increasing power of the nobility was exactly the Royal Tailoring, located in Palencia. Dona Magdalena, in fact, pleaded the king for not leave her fellow women without future, and the queen (more than Juan itself) personally coined for the Palencian women the title of Tejedoras Real: each month, the most prolific tailor was invited to supervise the royal tailoring, where the eldest “tejedoras” worked for the crown.

All luck was not only on the economic side: Grenada had to fight a rebellion and it would have been delightful to take this offer from luck...but Juan said “Dogs mingle with trash, lions with gold”. No one was sure about the meaning, but most probably he was saying that, while Granada was getting weakened by the rebels, Castilla could reinforce herself in order to get ready and crush it while it was still prostrated.

Meanwhile, the queen’s lady in waiting Ursula Marescoto was married by the Breton lord Benaed Le Coq, and her dowry counted, as well as jewels and Palencian drapes, even ceremonial weapon, in order to suggest an alliance.