• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Gnorf

do you even left
34 Badges
Jun 11, 2012
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • For the Motherland
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • East India Company
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Sengoku
  • March of the Eagles
  • Magicka
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Stellaris
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Cities in Motion
Oyo Empire​

The Oyo Empire was a Yoruba empire of what is today western and northern Nigeria. Established in the 14th century, the Oyo Empire grew to become one of the largest West African states encountered by pre-colonial explorers. It rose through the outstanding organizational skills of the Yoruba, wealth gained from trade and its powerful cavalry. The Oyo Empire was the most politically important state in the region from the mid-17th to the late 18th century, holding sway not only over most of the other kingdoms in Yorubaland, but also over nearby African states, notably the Fon Kingdom of Dahomey in the contemporary republic of Benin to the west.

Short term goals:
Annex Benin
Survive a possible attack from Hausa

Mid term goals:
Gain as much coastline as possible to increase the chances of gaining a CoT when Timbuktu gets starved
Annex or vassalize all of western Africa
Fortify every province

Long term goals:

Westernize
Control all of Africa
Become a major imperialist power

House rules:
No cheese
Stay pagan throughout the entire game
anything else?

Made this upon request. Let's see for how long I can survive.

1CE707AC174CFFED7D80CD793171059E5BE37EF8

First mission is to annex Benin. The game clearly wants us to become a colonial power. :rolleyes:

3927B6872EE5C63A30D55A6E5F895A2E55A5F0F4

To be able to become a rich and powerful kingdom we need to centralize the state.

3927B6872EE5C63A30D55A6E5F895A2E55A5F0F4

We raise a regiment of mercenaries and declare war on Benin. We need to be quick in order to snatch Benin before Hausa does so. A few days after us Hausa follows our footsteps and declare war on Benin. We get there first and destroy their army. We demand their full annexation.

D32BE4F32EC21AD7649D1350BB93E22812FD27FB

Next mission is to create an army for our nation. This is fairly simple since our forcelimits are three regiments. Our main rival Hausa has three regiments in their southern provinces and two more in their northern provinces. We disband our mercenary regiment and raise four more regiments and prepare to take on Hausa.

E7E2CD540C67AE84FBD093EAF4F95DCBBE0BA509

Their army of three thousand men are routed and retreat into Idah. The army is then annihilated by the natives, allowing us to seize their capital of Bonny and the neighboring province of Calabar.

C1738D48897FE1CE890706F369351AE54B509BC2

They're not willing to accept peace, and since I lack conquistadors I can't march through the undiscovered territories to capture their northern provinces. The war has come to a stand-still as I wait for their war exhaustion to rise and make them more willing to accept a peace offer.

Poll time:

Is selling provinces to a vassal considered too gamey?

Fighting these natives will be a pain though, since they are numerous and (I think Nupe has 5k if I remember correctly from playing Songhai) actually better fighters than your starting infantry. Hausa-north might catch you with your pants down there.

Last edited:
Fighting these natives will be a pain though, since they are numerous and (I think Nupe has 5k if I remember correctly from playing Songhai) actually better fighters than your starting infantry. Hausa-north might catch you with your pants down there.

Indeed. Took about four years to kill the natives of one province.

Selling provinces isn't gamey, if there's a legitimate reason. It's just you as overlord shuffling your duchies. (That ought to be a euphemism.)

Sounds about right.

Good so far. I told you my suggestions on Skype. :)

:DDD

Woo! :D

Shall be looking forwards to how you manage to overcome the issues that have and will soon arise.

The current issues are quite easy, but I dread the day when the Europeans arrive.

At this stage of game creating vassals is a necessity rather than being gamey. good luck!

Hah, I guess. Thanks!

The current issues are quite easy, but I dread the day when the Europeans arrive.

Theres a few starting issues with Oyo that can being fustrating :p ranging from the need to get through those damn natives with so little manpower/troops to trying to deal with Mali (or in one of my games a super Ashanti). With my game Europe was easy to deal with.

e7R7C3j.jpg

A quick peace is signed with Hausa, since exterminating the natives to be able to reach the northern Hausan provinces would take so long I'd get a forced white peace.

3WwoqR3.jpg

The Ethiopian oppression of fellow animists caused the province of Massawa to defect to us. I don't want it, as it's on the other side of the continent and it's going to slow down my already abysmal tech rate. Though I must say I chuckled a bit when it happened.

AhpKnuz.jpg

We take another step towards a modern and centralized state.

om32lm7.jpg

An event moved us towards free subjects.

JNbuZIl.jpg

Another event gave an increase of base tax in Oyo.

SnWyUIl.jpg

The mighty pig-god wants us to conquer more land from the muslims.

bdmZrU0.jpg

We hire an adviser to help improve our army.

2eNTUhH.jpg

While he has some unorthodox ideas, our glorious high elder, in his justness and glory, heeds his advice. Unfortunately his ideas were about our nations trade policies.

fH3p4F2.jpg

We declare war on Hausa, and get an untimely revolt.

akydjsC.jpg

Realizing that we cannot seize the Hausan capital we agree on a white peace, and focus on stopping the revolt.

MEYTwXS

In a stroke of genius, our High Elder realizes that the provinces of Bonny and Calabar are of Ashantese culture, he supports a revolt, in hopes that they would defect to Ashanti.

Yt9TOwv.jpg

While waiting for the rebels to do their work, we centralize the state even further.

Gi9Bi3F.jpg

The genius plan is successful, though deceit and trickery are not held high in the eyes of the pig-god. As a punishment, he orders us to save his followers in Tigre, on the other side of the continent.

azISEyf.jpg

Ignoring the will of the pig-god, our High Elder seizes control over previous Hausa-territory.

AhDdQKj.jpg

Intoxicated with success and snus, our High Elder disobeys the pig-god.

XxNNPb8.jpg

As you can expect, this is not appreciated.

sfBJiiu.jpg

Our new High Elder is quick to put the blame on the tribe of Ashanti, and his punishment is swift and relentless.

YFTmXLJ.jpg

With Mali already at war with Ashanti, our High Elder sees a chance to strike.

yrkHqgD.jpg

After a quick visit to the bank of Timbuktu, our High Elder offers peace.

t3gGWcP.jpg

Our vassal Ashanti grabs what's left.

nice ! :D That's a bold objective!
you can always try to sell those east african provinces back to get rid of them ... or keep them for a bit as you could modernize from memelukes ^^

80fNV2y.jpg

A few years later we were once again at war with Mali. They had started to recover from the previous tribal succession crisis, so we broke the truce and struck before they had a chance to recuperate.

OZ7DJDF.jpg

The goal with this war was the coastal CoT in Cayor. As you can judge from the picture, the goal was achieved. Jenne and Segu was later sold to Ashanti for 20 ducats a piece.

ZkBGpMY.jpg

Oyo now has a 50% bonus to defense. Too bad 50% of 0 is 0. This was surely the pig-god playing us a prank.

iJ3gWXz.jpg

We encourage divination, giving us a -1 revolt risk in exchange for a stability cost increase of 8%. Since being animistic gives a huge reduction of in stability cost (33% IIRC) this decision is a no-brainer.

GLEpkPZ.jpg

Mali collapsed, somehow defecting three provinces to Hausa.

WTB3OWf.jpg

Our glorious High Elder sees an opportunity to once again strike at Mali.

Sb8A1o1.jpg

Mali's part of the war, not even lasting six months, was very uneventful, seeing as Mali lacked both troops and forts. We still have Songhai to deal with though.

w93ljfc.jpg

We make a move towards innovative.

EDLuSDw.jpg

Having cleared out the natives of Nupe a few years back, we strike Songhai from two fronts. Our land tech advantage makes this war a walk in the park. The Songhain army is routed and wiped.

NsMx1Kv.jpg

Having occupied almost all Songhain territory, our High Elder goes to visit the Songhain National Bank.

dGS2o0G.jpg

Unfortunately, our High Elder tripped on the way out, landing face-down in a pile of cow-dung. The National Guard tried to save him, but it was too late.

XvsKOZ8.jpg

Both Wolof and Bambuk are sold to Ashanti, as I want to avoid going over ten provinces. The incapable ruler effects would would lower my infamy limit too much right now.

FnTFL60.jpg

For the same reason, we cancel our current mission in hopes of getting a better one.

pi1FLB5.jpg

Our High Elder obeys the will of the pig-god and declare yet another war against Mali.

RoDlNNA.jpg

To help in our current war, we pass a recruiting act, moving us one step towards quantity and one step towards innovative, among with giving us a manpower and reinforcement bonus.

3iMS95t.jpg

It is time for the annual visit to the bank.

3qom51T.jpg

Shortly after, we make peace with Mali, filling our coffers and pleasing the pig-god.

4C32SFz.jpg

Unfortunately, the whims of the pig-god are not understandable to mere men.

eyURjYa.jpg

At least to our High Elder.

mxXAigN.jpg

For now, the pig-god was understanding, and wanted us to take yet another province from Mali.

Last edited:
400 for an undefendable province is good :) now you might want to explore the northern neighbors , just to be safe.