• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
8U1ylVN.jpg

Welp...

EezRD86.jpg

Our is hopelessly inferior compared to the Europeans'.

KFJJK79.jpg

dmZrU0B.jpg

We chased one of their armies into the province of Cayor. If it hadn't been because of the neighboring stack in Gabu, we probably would've wiped them. Now we are forced to retreat and replenish our armies.

12th of July, 1499 sees the English taking control of Gabu.

PUijB7y.jpg

We manage to pay the English off, and hope we have enough time to bribe them until the truce ends. The Spaniards still haven't landed in Africa. They seem to be content with putting up blockades.

They establish a colony in Trarza. This is bad, since it gives them a land bridge from their northern African holdings. We send a spy to incite the natives, and he is successful. Hopefully the Pig-God will forgive us.

g0I0qbl.jpg

They send us a peace offer, which we accept. I can spare the money and it gives us valuable time to be better prepared for the next war. I don't even know why I vassalized Songhai in the first place. They're Muslim and I wouldn't be able to diplo-annex them. Oh well, it came in handy.

I then declare war on Hausa to take Katsina and a bit of money. This gives fulfills my current mission and gives me a free core.

O67gnQs.jpg

The final slider move.

v2U9dCV.jpg

Soon all of Europe will tremble before our might. :3

Our new mission is to recover negative stability. Should be easy enough. The -33% stab cost bonus from being a tribal democracy helps a lot during westernization.

I8KeTR0.jpg

And this is what Europe looks like. Scandinavia formed and the Turks found a new home on the steppes. I was surprised that Castille hadn't captured more of North Africa.

Would it be possible to offer up your own vassalization to someone like England so you can incubate and Westernize in relative safety? Or will the AI never accept (or its a bad idea)?

Would it be possible to offer up your own vassalization to someone like England so you can incubate and Westernize in relative safety? Or will the AI never accept (or its a bad idea)?

Well, Portugal love me (they even offered me an alliance, but it broke automatically since we're in different religious groups) and I'm using them to westernize.

Wow i never managed to ally Portugal as a pagan.
Now you've like 10 years to westernize , some more for the units , but your situation will improve incredibly!
maybe you can try to steal their colonies next time , especially if they don't border Algiers or their NA holdings.

You can ally all you like as a pagan - I'm allied with Russia and Prussia in my Cherokee game at the moment. It's all about avoiding the -1.20/year relations penalty. If your relations dips below 0 during peacetime, they break the alliance. With a decent dip leader and a large SoI (and maybe a decent ambassador) you can overcome this penalty and they'll ally with you as readily as other nations.

You're very lucky to get such a kind treaty from England though! Normally they stick at the war quite a bit longer. Did you have to put up much of a fight, or did you avoid battles after the first one?

You can ally all you like as a pagan - I'm allied with Russia and Prussia in my Cherokee game at the moment. It's all about avoiding the -1.20/year relations penalty. If your relations dips below 0 during peacetime, they break the alliance. With a decent dip leader and a large SoI (and maybe a decent ambassador) you can overcome this penalty and they'll ally with you as readily as other nations.

You're very lucky to get such a kind treaty from England though! Normally they stick at the war quite a bit longer. Did you have to put up much of a fight, or did you avoid battles after the first one?

I retreated further into my mainland. I think they were willing to accept peace because France declared a war on them.

having vassals which you don't mind giving up in a peace deal is nice to have when playing small countries/other tech groups because it helps gaining peace without losing land :)

Well, here's an update! Finally done with everything at school, only got two days left, but no work.

vfGHQgr.jpg

The pig-god must've been pleased with our modernization efforts, and granted us a claim on our rivals. Unfortunately Portugal hasn't cored it, otherwise I would use it to create European soldiers.

IxKGKhk.jpg

Natives are incited, and we clear out the area for colonization. We also learn quite a bit about land warfare.

NPyXSoC.jpg

Our national and financial situation improves considerably. Very convenient event.

JZtJYQR.jpg

The pig-god wants us to conquer Zazzau.

oP8VfgP.jpg

But before we do so, we westernize further.

9mVanBg.jpg

Here we go again.

IgiBFOB.jpg

Christian missionaries from Portugal enter the western parts of our country. We respectfully disagree with them.

nCJUl1i.jpg

We westernize the final step. Our research speed is now up to par with Castille and Portugal, though we'll need a few years to catch up.

dNxrYhY.jpg

As usual, Castille doesn't land any troops, and soon offer a white peace. I'm starting to think the AI just realized how to be gamey, and is just collecting war taxes for his own gains.

yma51Sc.jpg

I notice that Tripoli has gotten a core on Berber-cultured Tadimikket, and I immediately begin recruiting Charge cavalry.

z9SUqU4.jpg

I'm gonna fullfill my mission, and conquer even more of Africa.

zU40A9B.jpg

The war was nothing special.

RME2uZW.jpg

I centralize further to allow military modernization. The policy restriction hurts though. 6+ RR in all provinces.

rItLso6.jpg

I reach Government tech 9, and get a new national idea. I choose military drill because I'm going to need all the help I can get to defeat the Europeans until I modernize my military.

ScUGZqp.jpg

I notice Portugal has gotten a border dispute or something while they had a colony in Sierra Leone. I get better troops and a higher risk of them attacking me. Seems like a good deal to me.

D7vsWNZ.jpg

I begin to colonize my way north. I plan to eat up Algiers before Castille do so.

10th October, 1518, Tadimekket converts to the Yorumba culture.

t5FOs7F.jpg

17th April, 1519, I reach government tech 10, allowing me to reform my government. I have not yet decided what to do. If I do reform, I don't need to worry about the policy restrictions, the incapable ruler modifiers, and they wont get the colonial conquest against me, which means they'll only have the holy war casus belli, which ends after 1650. But if I don't reform, I can keep my tribal conquest casus belli on all bordering nations, allowing me to take provinces for 50% infamy. Since only Christians and Muslims get the holy war casus belli, I wont get a good casus belli until I can shift to absolute monarchy for the imperialism casus belli.

What do you think I should do?

You still have a good 130 years until Holy War fades away. That is truly a tough decision.

If you modernize your Gov, are you going to take the fight to Europe or are you using it to save your Hide.

Hmm.... I would go ahead and Modernize your government to relinquish smaller nations thinking they are big fish. Use the Tribal to take out Africa and go blob the holy lands and pray the hordes are still kickin it and gives you a gateway to India.

I'd reform my government if I were you. Yes, you'll lose the easy CB but tribal govs are a pain. Plus if you can become a noble republic then you'll have access to better leaders (or at least a mechanism to ditch bad leaders which will hopefully lead to better ones).

Glad to see this back. Not sure if you should reform yet, if you think that you can survive well without reforming and that you really need the CB in the longer term then go for it, otherwise I'd conquer as much territory as you can now with the tribal CB right before reforming. I guess it depends on what your objectives are, you have a more expansionist vs. easier / more stable but less aggressive option.

"...and they wont get the colonial conquest against me..."

they will. sadly enough it depends on your religion not on your government. and the post above mine says: there really isn't any reason for not reforming.

they'll keep their CB on you.
you'll lose your tribal conquest CB , but you will also lose the pretty awful tribal modifiers.

Who knows when the pig god will grant Oyo another ADM 7 ruler? If you're confident you can get that border with Algiers before the current guy dies, wait for it, otherwise spend your diplomats to declare those last tribal feud wars on your neighbors (pretty sure it's only 25% infamy) and say goodbye to incapable ruler penalties and hello to elections. Deus porcum vult! (I hope that sentence is correct)

Seeing as you are far off from 1650, you should modernize! Casus belli's always work the other way around aswell. If Castille declares war again you can take their african holdings for 1 infamy a pop. As others stated you can get the tribal conquest against others. If you then choose to focus on war leaders in a republic you will get more conquest CB aswell. Diplo for claims and or / BD is nice aswell though.

And you can ofcourse be gamey and declare like yequr suggested :p.