• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(17581)

AARlander
Jun 12, 2003
Visit site
The latest AAR idea to come out of my brain in some time. With the official abandonment of the Delusions of Grandeur I AAR (Yes, I'm abandoning it a year later. The awful historical inaccuracy (many times contradicting and even exactly opposite to the real history) and bad writing quality forced that decision. ) I decided that I need to write another serious AAR. Something that's marketable to the dramatic explosions demographic, with fantastic plot devices to make sure that I don't have to be very historically accurate because I don't want to do much research beyond Wikipedia, and as often as possible not even that.

And guess what? Since I'm the HOI2 LibrAARian, I don't need to post anything at all in this first post about what scenario I'm doing or what mods I'm using or even what country I'm playing because I already know. But remember that if you try to do the same in your AAR, I will hate you. Just speaking as the HOI2 LibrAARian here.

Anyways, enjoy. It seems that my irreverence has somehow infected this post, too. It wasn't supposed to spread. Erase your memories of this first post and replace it with an equivalent one written by Rensslaer or The Yogi or something. That should get things back on track.

Wait, no, I did it again. Sorry.

Also, this is post #4402 for me. As such, I have changed my custom title to 'Imperfect Postcount' until I can think of one better. And I will sigh forlornly and long for the days back when my postcount was at a perfect 4,401...

Index will be here.

Nouvelle-Amsterdam

Région Nouvelle-Amsterdam , Nouvelle-France

6 janvier, 1939

You can never destroy me

The empty, snow-laden streets of Nouvelle-Amsterdam did not echo as she ran. The unswept snow dampened her footfalls, unswept because the city had been abandoned for a week, ever since the owner of that voice that spoke into her head began to grow very worried, indeed, that his destruction might come after all. The two running men beside her, German and French, could not hear that voice. They could not see the invisible wall, either.

You may have destroyed my body...

"Wall!" she cried, and a blast of psychic energy surged past her. In her mind's eye she could see the lattices of supernatural force shatter, lose cohesion, and disappear.

You may have destroyed my empire...

"Got it!" yelled Joachim, in his German-accented French as they passed where the barrier had been. It was far from the first time they encountered such obstacles, and it was also far from the strongest such they had defeated. He had grown mighty weak, indeed.

But you cannot destroy me

Another taunt, another flash, another hint at the location of the disembodied spirit they were hunting.

"Skyscraper, at the corner!"

"Got it-"

"No! Julian, teleport us. Fourth floor."

Right before the transition, she managed to get a good look at the name of the building. Sibil Industries. Of course. In the next instant they were a block farther and fifty feet up.

Even if you banish me from this world, I will find another...

"Back! Back!"

He didn't need to be told twice. Before the second word, they were once again on the streets, just in time to watch the very fourth floor they were so briefly on disappear in a ball of orange flame.

"That...was close..."

"Thanks for that, Julian," grunted Joachim. The teleport, on the other hand, was still shaken. "It wasn't the first time you've saved us from one of his tricks. I can't believe we fell for-"

"He's gone."

The interruption from the psychic puzzled him, the words specifically. The instance? It was far from the first time.

"He's incorporeal. That wouldn't have hurt the bastard a damn bit," the German growled in restrained incredulousness.

"No, it wouldn't have been the blast. But he's really gone. I can't feel a trace of his presence."

"What if it was like the last time this happened? What if he's still-"

"No, it's different this time. It's-"

She paused. A shimmer, in the corner of her mind's eye.

"A portal!" she blurted, as the information flooded through her head. "A strong one, but not through time, or space... That must be what he meant! It's to another world!"

"Another world?"

"Another timeline, a parallel one. Just as he came to our world from his."

"But that means that once the portal is sealed, he can't come back?"

"We won't have to worry about that. He must have been planning this. He must have also been weaker than we thought." Uncomprehending silence followed. She turned to the other two to explain. "He must have created the portal on the Checagou Nexus, then pulled it here along a ley line some time ago, holding it as an escape route. He must have known that by the time he needed it he would be far too weak to create one on his own. Now that his hold is gone, it's starting to snap back to Checagou, where it will simply be absorbed and disappear. Which means that if I hadn't caught it, we would never have been able to follow him. A clever measure, as usual for him."

The bustling metropolis of Checagou in the province of Nicolet was notable for many things, including being the site of the bloodiest siege in North American history, during the Second Louisiana War. All those lives, taken in malice, made for the easy creation of a nexus of power by their then-embodied adversary.

"Wait, follow him? We're done! We saved the world! Isn't this the point of the story where we all go home and live happily ever after?"

"We can't let him run loose on a whole world full of innocents! Besides, you know as well as I that we have no home to go back to. Destroying him was our lives, and as long as he remains out there, even in another world, we-"

She could easily tell when Joachim was not being convinced. This was one of those times.

"And Sofia would have died for nothing."

He cringed, as if stabbed. "Dammit, Marie..." He sighed wearily. "You're right. We must go on."

"So let's go. Julian, the portal is now forty kilometers from us, straight line to Checagou. Can you hit it?"

"Along a ley line? Of course. But... I just..."

His hesitation startled her.

"But what, Julian? The portal is accelerating, we don't have much time!"

"I just have a bad feeling about this."

"Well, you're not the clairvoyant here. Marie is. So quit whining and get us a teleport." Joachim was back.

"Julian... If need be, Joachim can jury rig a way to get us through the portal. It will be messy, and once we're on the other side you'll never see us again, and without you we'll have that less of a chance of succeeding."

"But I-"

"But if we go through together, we can all face this new world together, like we always have. Please... Brother..."

The silence seemed to last forever. In that eternity, a thousand thoughts and anxieties flitted through her head. Just what could be causing him to hesitate? Not a single likely possibility entered her mind. Just what could-

"All right, I'll come. Where is the portal now?"

"It's moving too fast now. Just aim for Checagou and hope."

"Huh. And you said that Joachim could have done this?"

"I was bluffing."

"Hey, I bet I could've-"

The rest of his sentence would never be heard in the world they left behind. It was already a timeline away.

Last edited:
Anyways, I would like to request a German translator that I can PM, as well as a backup French one in case the skies grow sunny over Southern France and Le Ran breaks from his wintry hole like a groundhog and goes on vacation. I may or may not need stuff translated into both those languages, which I only have one semester's worth of competence in. (If you can't tell, two of the main characters are French and one is German, all three from a France-dominated alternate timeline.)

And I'm not sure if one is out there, but someone for Arabic might be nice.

Veeery interesting! I will try to follow this one!
<suscribe>

Yep interesting start !, cant wait for the next one. Consider me subscribed :D

Looks interesting. Better be on now before this turn into an AAR that is impossible to catch up with (at least for an non native english speaker) It looks to become one of those.

An excellent beginning. So many questions!

Great beginning, this is so confusing though.

I'm competent enough in French and German that I've done an on-the-spot translation of Mack the Knife from the Brecht lyrics to French for karaoke purposes, and I'm often skulking around the forums here, but I'm not native to either language.

I can translate prose to either language better than you can to Italian, at any rate.

PM me if you wish.

Excellent, another anonymous AAR. Complete with great writing and a totally confusing opener.

*subscribes*

Interesting. I will read this.

When will you post your first map?

HannibalBarca: I hope it does

The Yogi: I hope you do

Spitfire_Pilot: I hope you are

Iron-Chef: I hope you reconsider (being a...greasy...fanboy)

Fiftypence: I hope you're able

Snake IV: I hope it will

lifeless: I hope it is

-Delta-: I hope you can

Jape: I hope you're happy

stnylan: I hope they're answered

GeneralHannible: I hope not

Brasidas: I hope you can better

Nameless: I hope it's great

Arilou: I hope you will

New York City

New York State, United States of America

January 9, 1938

So, who are you?

I come from another world. There I was a conqueror of nations. A destroyer of kings. A scourge of men. But I was defeated, and forced to flee here. And I will need your help. I need a strong mind, to reside in for a while, as I recuperate. Join me and I can make you ruler of this world beside me.

Wow, that is quite fantastic! I wonder what my imagination will come up with next. Maybe I can turn this into a novel...

I have had those that did not believe me before when I spoke into their minds. Unfortunately, in my weakened state, I cannot demonstrate directly that I am, indeed, real. But I can say this: If I were but a voice in your head, could you not make me say anything you willed?

Well... I suppose I can't. But maybe I've just gone mad, and you are but a figment of my madness. It does run in the family, after all. Really, if you are real, there must be some way to prove it. Perhaps telling me a fact that I don't know and could not have learned.

I come from another world. I know nothing of this one, nor do I know where these two worlds differ. So if I did tell you of my world, you would merely think it a product of your imagination. And that is one of the reasons I need you. I need to learn of this world through your eyes.

And what if I don't want you in my head?

The average human, even those completely lacking in psionic potential, is surprisingly resistant to psychic manipulation of their minds and bodies. If you truly willed me away, I would be gone from your mind, never to return. At least, until I regained significant amounts of my power. Then you will be among the first to be destroyed, for I cannot have one that was aware of me early in my existence here to continue living.

Hmm... That is quite direct. Perhaps you are not merely in my imagination. I would have imagined a more subtle entity.

At least I am being honest.

Yeah, unlike that bastard Colonel Warrington. When he stayed in my head for a few weeks back in '35, he had a party there, inviting the ghosts of Napoleon and General Washington. They left the place a mess, and he lied about it. Of course I had to kick him out.

You are not being serious.

No.

But this is serious. Will you help me?

I have to admit, I am now curious. Maybe I will humor you. I don't have to do anything like cut off my arm or kill the Governor, do I?

No, it will not be anything so dramatic. Unless in your world the simple gathering of information on the state of the world is somehow dangerous or very difficult.

I do not believe it is.

Good.

In the meantime, my madness, what shall I call you?

I have gone by many names, so much so that I no longer have a true one. Though I did, in the past, when I was a mere mortal. But those days are long gone, and each new culture I encounter seems to come up with a new name for me. But if you must, you may call me Iblis.

Iblis, huh?

Yes. And what may I call you?

You may call me Peter.