• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Of course Spain will have to be especially loyal to the Kremlin now.... Great to see you back.

I think the Bosphorus and Daradanelles are blocked by Turkey from everyone except for their allies, though I could be wrong. If that's true than it would have to be the long way from Leningrad.

Jape said:
the Bosphorus is an international waterway, even if Turkey controls the land around, unless the Turks wanted to upset their (VERY :eek: ) big neighbour I doubt they would have blocked them

Actually, I believe Turkey was (and is) bound by treaty to keep the Bosphorous closed to warships from warrying nations when neutral in the war. I could be wrong though.

EDIT: Of course, if the USSR was not officially at war at the time, this point may be moot.

Last edited:
Feedback

Thanks for the support and comments guys, I really appreciate it. :)

Gjerg Kastrioti: Yes, the Communist regime has been able secure itself so it will most likely take hold baring any unforseen events.

cthulhu: Thanks chtulhu :D Nice to see you again. I will have to pop into your French AAR and see what has been happening since I left.

Regent Horthy: Thanks RH, I appreciate your support. :)

VILenin: Yes, hopefullly this war will go to plan and I will have a second Commintern member (I don't really count Tannu Tuva and Mongolia :p).

Sir Humphrey: Indeed, the Spanish Communist regime owes its existence to the USSR so it should be a particularly loyal ally.

therev, Jape, VILenin, The Yogi (regarding the Bosphorus):

Well in the game, it seems I am not able to move ships through the Bosphorus even during peace time. Theoretically Turkey, according to the Montreux Convention Regarding the Regime of the Turkish Straits, should permit the Soviet ships passage through the straight as it is "considered an international waterway and the Government of Turkey is prohibited from restricting their use in peacetime." As the Soviet Union is not officially at war (Nationalist Spain is not recognised as a State by the Soviet Government), Turkey has no right to block passage. I have read through most of the text of the treaty, and I cannot see any Turkish justification for blocking the passage of Soviet ships in this circumstance. However, as the game automatically blocks all access to the straights, I will have no choice but to send my transports from Leningrad. However, for the sake of the AAR and historical accuracy, I will write that the ships were in fact able to travel through the Bosphorus, as realistically it would be illogical for the Soviet Union to deploy an invasion force destined for Barcelona from Leningrad when they do in fact, according to international law, have access to the Turkish Straights.

therev, I have 9 transports, not enough to send the entire Iberian Front at once that’s why I have to transport each army separately.

The next update will be up soon.

Last edited:
Until when will this AAR go?

Also what happened to Krucheshev, Bulganin, Brezhnev and even Kalinin, Kalinin was loyal to Stalin and I do not believe he would let Bukharin begin de-stalinization and get rid of Stalinists.

Polkovnik_Alex said:
Kalinin was loyal to Stalin and I do not believe he would let Bukharin begin de-stalinization and get rid of Stalinists.

I'm sure Kalinin was more pragmatic than you suggest. Besides, what can he do? He's just a front figure.

Lord British said:
cthulhu: Nice to see you again.

Right back at ya, old chum. :)

Polkovnik_Alex said:
Until when will this AAR go?

Also what happened to Krucheshev, Bulganin, Brezhnev and even Kalinin, Kalinin was loyal to Stalin and I do not believe he would let Bukharin begin de-stalinization and get rid of Stalinists.

I'm not really sure when this AAR will finish at this point.

During this time, Khrushchev and Brezhnev were not very important and did not hold important positions of power. They are members of the Moscow and
Dnepropetrovsk Party Committees respectively. As for Bulganin, he was elected a member of the CSPU Central Committee under Stalin, and that's where he remains. At this time he is not an influential Party member.

As for Kalinin he, as cthulhu suggests, was more pragmatic than you may think. Without Stalin, he realises that Stalinism cannot survive so why would he try to save it? Furthermore, Kalinin historically attempted to limit the severity of the Stalinist Purges and often called into question Stalin's heavy handed tactics. Therefore it can be said that Kalinin was not a staunch Stalinist, he had no ties to loyal Stalinists and after the death of Stalin in this AAR, he recognises the fact that Bukharian appears to be a more moderate and fair leader and therefore supports him.

Book II - The War in Iberia

headerpic2dw.jpg

The Kremlin, Moscow
August 18

kremlin6ar.jpg

Bukharin briskly walked along the dimly lit hall that ran across the East-West axis of the decaying Yellow Palace of the Kremlin. The grandiose and ornately decorated building, a crumbling relic of Imperial Russia, was in dire need of restoration. However, like the extravagant Winter Palace in Leningrad, the once immaculate palaces of the Kremlin had been neglected by their new proletarian masters, and the inspiring renaissance façades, fine artwork and luxurious furnishings were literally decaying and fading away before one’s very eyes. But this did not bother the demure Bukharin. He did not appreciate unnecessary luxury, and so refused to spend scant state funds on the maintenance of what had been the pride and glory of the Romanov dynasty. As he walked along the long hall each morning from his modest one bedroom private apartment to his small, unimpressive study in the East Wing of the palace, he certainly noticed the peeling paint, cracked walls and fading curtains, but it was not something that would preoccupy his mind, for as soon as he entered his study, his mind was focused solely on the affairs of the state. As Bukharin entered the small waiting room adjoining his study, his private secretary rose from his desk and frowned.

“Good morning Chairman, Foreign Commissar Litvinov is waiting in your office.”

“Ah I see,” Bukharin smiled. “That explains that awfully grim face of yours Yuri.”

“Well he is certainly in a foul mood this morning Chairman.”

Bukharin’s smile grew even more. “Isn’t he always Yuri, isn’t he always?”

Bukharin walked into his office with the wide smile still planted firmly on his face. As he entered, he noticed that the Foreign Commissar, Maksim Litvinov, was seated facing his desk. Litvinov did not turn to face Bukharin as he came in.

“Good morning Maksim.” Bukharin still had his smile.

“Actually, quite the contrary.” Litvinov retorted in his characteristic hostile tone. With that, Bukharin’s smile instantly vanished. He sighed and sat down at his desk. Before he could say anything more, Litvinov launched into one of his tirades.

“See these?” Litvinov brandished a brown folder in front of Bukharin’s face. “These are telegrams from London and Paris. As I expected, the official announcement of our military involvement in Spain has attracted a hostile reaction from both the French and British governments. I warned you. This war in Spain is a folly. I told you nothing good would come of this, and now look!” Litvinov slammed the folder down on the desk. “All the progress that has been made over the past six months destroyed in one swoop. We are back to where we started.”

“I understand that you are frustrated Maksim,” Bukharin began, “but the coup has opened a unique opportunity for Communism. The workers of Spain desire to break free from the shackes of capitalism, and as Communists, it is our duty and responsibility to help them with all the strength we can possibly muster.”

“No need to regurgitate the propaganda. I’ve read it enough in the newspapers over the past few days, not to mention your endless speeches on the matter. We all know this isn‘t about liberating the workers of Spain from the clutches of Fascism, this is about gaining a strategic base in Western Europe. How can you do that while we are trying to gain Western acceptance for the Soviet Union? You pledged to improve relations with the Western powers, but now you have lampooned your own foreign policy by foolishly intervening in a war that has nothing to do with us. ” Litvinov then rose from his chair.

“Come now Maksim, you know as well as I do that…” Bukharin tried to explain himself, but Litvinov brusquely cut him short.

“I am afraid that I have to take my leave now. The British and French ambassadors have requested an urgent audience with me. I must prepare for the scathing verbal lashings I will shortly receive due to your foolish actions.” Litvinov picked up his attaché case and headed towards the door.

Bukharin managed a nervous laugh. “I don’t envy you Maksim.”

Litvinov stopped and turned around. He obviously did not appreciate Bukharin’s attempt at humour.

“This is a terrible mistake Nikolai, you will regret this.” Litvinov sneered.

“Maksim, I understand that you are not happy with my decision, but you have no choice but to accept it. Furthermore, you will respect my decisions no matter what your personal opinion might be.” Bukharin swiftly added.

Litvinov paused for a moment, and his eyes narrowed. “Let me remind you Comrade Nikolai, you are not Stalin.” His words were thick with contempt. “You cannot simply click your fingers and expect everyone to grovel at your feet. You have greatly angered and disillusioned many members of the Central Committee with your recent decision. I promise you, it will not be forgotten any time soon.” With that, he abruptly left, slamming the door behind him.

Bukharin sighed to himself, “and if I didn’t do this, I would have angered just as many members of the Central Committee, if not more.”

His eyes moved to the brown folder that Litvinov had left on his desk. He picked it up, and through it in the bin. He didn’t need to read the angry reactions from the French and British. He knew all too well that he had scuttled the delicate diplomatic relationship with London and Paris that he had been able to cultivate since coming becoming Chairman of the Sovnarkom in January. The British and French had lifted many of the trade restrictions that were placed on Russia in 1917, and as late as July the British Foreign and Trade Secretaries had hinted at Whitehall’s willingness to begin negotiations on a Trade Treaty that would have significantly benefited the Soviet economy. But that was all dead in the water now. Relations were back to where they were during the Stalinist era. He knew he had done terrible and perhaps irreversible damage, but he simply had no choice. He wanted the Soviet Union to be a major player on the world stage, he wanted his beloved country to be the equal of Britain and France. But that would never happen if he stayed within the restrictive boundaries drawn and imposed by the Western powers. This was the Soviet Union’s chance to rise to the international position it deserved, and Bukharin refused to waste the opportunity.

Last edited:
A ruthless opurtunist. Looks like there might be trouble at home as well as abroad. Smashing.

You know, I was just wondering when you'd be updating this. :)

Stellar writing and a good knowledge of history. I'm glad this one returned to life!

Look to Marx. "Workers of the world unite! You have nothing to loose but your chains![helped by the Soviet Union]". ;)