• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nice AAR so far. Japan looks like a lot of fun in Victoria 2 as it was in Victoria.

I'll be keeping watch with interest.

Excellent. Subscribed.

Very nice. But don't be too afraid to run a deficit (from what I've read so far.)

Very nice. But don't be too afraid to run a deficit (from what I've read so far.)

You are completely right by that. The goldmine does wonders for a healthy income. After having 'discovered' Freedom of Trade this wealthy source of income is even doubled and now I have no idea what to do with the money until I have some factories to build. Which will not happen for quite some years.
Well, at least I can keep everyone happy, very happy.

its good to see that cement has a place in the world now.

2mhu6u9.jpg
Chapter III: Preparations; two steps forward, one step back

Having set up my budget and research, spend a couple of years doing this and checking out all the menus, I start focussing on some expansion. I will have to expand my army and conquer a neighbouring country. What else can I do then look at Korea?

The Japanese army isn't exactly small, six armies with a combined total of 54,000 troops. The quality of these is, what else could I expect, bad. All of them are irregulars and there is no proper infantry. But that's something I only find out later.

idc1o5.jpg

2hfqvtg.jpg

So, I build some artillery to keep off those pesky Koreans and two clippers to get my troops across the straits. To lead the men I will also need some generals and someone to shout orders to the skippers of the clippers. Generals Mineo Nozu and Tsu Yui are not of the sternest stuff and I already feel sorry for my troops they have to serve under these 'sad sacks'.

t5ly8i.jpg

I set the slider for military spending to 100% and start making ready for war. Only now, when embarking my troops on their glorious journey, I discover they are all irregulars (apart from the two artillery regiments). The mission is cancelled, half of the army is abandoned and the money-chest is plundered to recruit six regiments of regular infantry. The time it takes to train them and let them gain some organisation might just be enough to find another general, a capable one this time.

Is there a Perry mission from USA event that helps push any of these factors? Interesting to see the changes already from V1!

Only now, when embarking my troops on their glorious journey, I discover they are all irregulars (apart from the two artillery regiments). The mission is cancelled, half of the army is abandoned and the money-chest is plundered to recruit six regiments of regular infantry.

Haha this made me laugh :p. Imagine the general arriving at the scene and telling the troops; "Sorry dudes, you're not good enough for me, let's go home then!" :rofl:

For a second there I thought it was just your opinion that these were "sad sacks" but then I realized they were actually the description of the generals in game! :D

I suppose things don't look to bright for your future endeavors when the Shogun asks his adviser what are the names of the generals and gets a reply: Clueless, Toaday, and Sad Sack.

Might it be an idea to keep your irregulars for Home Guard duty?

In V1 you weren't exactly popular with the Japanese masses after modernising and had to deal with plently of revolts.

Its also interesting that you can DoW Korea. In V1 for an unciv to DoW a nation they had to have a land border with them.

Haha this made me laugh :p. Imagine the general arriving at the scene and telling the troops; "Sorry dudes, you're not good enough for me, let's go home then!" :rofl:

No love for the Samurai. What do you think irregulars in Japan are? Ashigaru and Samurai.

Might it be an idea to keep your irregulars for Home Guard duty?

In V1 you weren't exactly popular with the Japanese masses after modernising and had to deal with plently of revolts.

Didn't think of that. I will make sure the remaining irregulars get posted as Home Guard after the war with Korea.

Thanks for posting this AAR, warts and all. It will help me to avoid some of the "noob" mistakes you are bound to make learning the game.