• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Player Actions Needed: Please vote on the Sakamoto Remembrance Act, Amendment to the Act for Protection of Democracy, the Act to Secure the Stability of the Empire through Good Governance, and The Motion For National Salvation. Privy Council please vote on to Declare a State of Emergency, Making Yamagata President of the Privy Council, and revoking the Hajamoto Family's title.

Sample Ballot:

Sakamoto Remembrance Act: Yes/No/Abstain
Amendment to the Act for Protection of Democracy: Yes/No/Abstain
Act to Secure the Stability of the Empire through Good Governance: Yes/No/Abstain
The Motion For National Salvation: Yes/No/Abstain

[Specialty]
[Political Bonus]
[Economic Bonus]
[Bonus]

((Privy Council (EB, Riccardo, TJDS, Zen, Maxwell) only))

Declare State of Emergency: Yes/No/Abstain
Appoint Yamagata to President of the Privy Council: Yes/No/Abstain
Revoke Hajamoto Family's Title: Yes/No/Abstain

[Rank of Nobility]

Political Bonuses:
TJDS: +2
EmperorBasilius: +2
Michaelangelo: +1

VP is at 60,000 yen per point of VP

Voting ends Wednesday at 9:00 PM EST or Thursday at 2:00 AM GMT

Last edited:
((you took your time telling us this, what about all those times when we had state press?))

((Also everyone but me and Unwealdy get +0.5 VP))

((I think I can see which one of these acts will pass))

((you took your time telling us this, what about all those times when we had state press?))

((Also everyone but me and Unwealdy get +0.5 VP))

((I think I can see which one of these acts will pass))

((We never had state press...

If you are referring to pre-Boshin War Japan, this doesnt apply then since we were uncivilized and unable to reform))

Last edited:
Reactions:
Ito Masaki tours Nippon speaking out against the banned parties and their rebel-rousing. ((I'm holding political rallies for the government as a source of stability and to protect the divine right of the Emperor to rule over us.))

Sakamoto Remembrance Act: Yes
Amendment to the Act for Protection of Democracy: Yes
Act to Secure the Stability of the Empire through Good Governance: Yes
The Motion For National Salvation: No

[Politician]
[Minister of Justice: +1VP]

- Count Ito Masaki of Miyazaki, Minister of Justice

Mini: The Westernization of China and Fall of Russia

The Qing Empire had been lagging behind Japan for a very long time. While Japan has modernized and grown rapidly from a simple feudal nation, the Chinese have stayed stagnant. This was mostly due to the fact that China's government was much more conservative and reactionary than Japan's, and few western powers dared try to match it in combat. China's army could easily reach in the millions. Even as an uncivilized state, China's army scared most European powers senseless, preventing full scale conflict between China and the European powers. However, that all changed recently when China finally achieved a level of westernization similar to their Japanese brothers across the sea.

Some point to China's involvement in the War of Matsui's Folly as the oil to make the rusty cogs of modernization slowly begin to turn in the Qing courts. Slowly and surely, China began to enact policies to modernize itself. It adopted many of the army tactics, industrial technology, and bureaucratic administration that Japan had developed in its westernization. Soon, China would be seen as a western nation, technologically on-par with the Japanese. Yet, while China's industrial capabilities are tremendous, its fragile tributary system was destroyed by its westernization. Qinghai, Mongolia, Manchuria, all the vassals of China were no longer obligied to serve China following its westernization. Most of these nations developed western technology like China, and saw themselves as equals to China's growing power. The tributary system China had established fell apart, and now the former vassals are independent nations in their own right.

Most foreign observers thought that Russia would gobble these nations up. Russia though had its own problems. Russia lost the war it was fighting in Europe following the end of the war with Japan. It lost large chunks of Poland and Romania to the victorious German alliance. Most of its army was disbanded, and its industry destroyed. The prestige hit to Russia was great. Because of this, Russia sank down below being considered a great power, and is now classified as a secondary power. Russia is no unable to influence nations greatly, and because of this, it cannot influence the former Qing vassals to its side. This leaves many of the new nations defenseless, and attack able. It only takes one nation to conquer them totally and unopposed.

360px-Flag_of_the_Japanese_Resident_General_of_Korea_(1905).svg.png

The Office of the Governor General of Chosen

I am happy to report that the Korean Army has been restored to its former strength prior to the war with the hated Russians. However, despite this success on the peninsula, we face trying times for the Empire. The exploitation of the Korean Peninsula is not enough to help sustain our growing economy, which is helping fuel a portion of the discontent we face at home. Many former tributary states of China are now independent nations, they are alone as well. To our immediate north is Manchuria, with Qinghai as an ally our influence is already being felt, we must look to further expand our sovereign might in order to further exploit these lands to our advantage. The war can be used to unify our people behind a righteous cause that will ensure both our place in Asia and bring even greater prestige to the Emperor and Nippon. It is true that there are other areas we can focus on, but striking north into Manchuria should be our priority. I ask the government and the General Staff to consider this.

~ General Miroki Kusenagi, Deputy of the CoGS, CO of the 3rd Corps

Now that the Russians are no longer considered a great power, I would like to hear the government's opinion on a possible invasion of Siberia to seize the natural resources there should our armies be ready for such a war. Our factories are in need of resources which cannot be found in Japan, and we are at a disadvantage in buying such resources from the gaijin. To this end I would ask that the government consider launching an attack on the Russians while they are still weak. The benefits of a Siberian offensive are fourfold. First, the Russians would be even weaker and less likely to pose a threat to Asia. Second, we would gain control of the natural resources (coal, precious metals, and lumber, among other things). Third, we would boost our standing in the world and among the Great Powers. Fourth, we would gain more land to add to our glorious empire without harming our Asian brothers. In addition, Siberia is much closer to the Japanese home islands than other targets such as Indonesia, Dai Nam, and Malaya and thus would be easier to defend and administrate.
I ask that the Diet consider this proposal.

~ Prince Sakamoto Ryoma of Kanto

((Private))

Two years and Masaki had still been unable to find the murderer. He covered it up well enough, smuggling the body out by himself in the middle of the night and burying it far from his estate. No one had seen seen or heard him committing that act. Then began the investigation. He couldn't rely on anyone in the Ministry of Justice, but he did have full access to their files and resources. He scrounged up as much information about every single person who had been working at the Ito estate during the time of the murder. None of them seemed like possible murderers. It was a dead end. He'd dismissed those who seemed most suspect, but nothing could be proved. The true culprit went undiscovered.

Masaki slumped down into his armchair. He rubbed at the bridge of his nose. Why could he not find the murderer? He felt cursed by this whole affair. Somehow he knew it had something to do with his father. The man had attempted to murder the entire Privy Council. That was bound to draw violent individuals towards his family, either to target or intimidate him. He wished he had seen the signs before and stopped his father before madness could set in. He still worried that such a thing was hereditary. His nightmares seemed to be only getting worse, scenes of such a graphic and violent nature. Another problem he was unable to deal with.

Takeo, Masuki's longtime manservant, entered the room and placed a cup of tea down on the nearby end-table. With an emotionless face, he said, "Your tea, sir."

"Thank you," Masuki said as he picked up the cup. He took a sip and nearly spat it out. It's was incredibly bitter, much more than usual. After he stopped himself from choking on the tiny droplets that wound their way down his throat, he looked up at Takeo and asked, "Is this a new brew?"

"Indeed, sir. I believe this batch will help you sleep better."

Masaki nodded his thanks and Takeo responded with a deep bow. The servant backed out of the room, leaving Masaki alone. The count took another sip and immediately spat it back into the cup. He had been drinking these teas of Takeo's for years to help him sleep, yet he had seen no signs of improvement. This one was even nastier than the ones that came before. Not in the mood to down some putrid tea, Masaki made sure Takeo was not watching through the doorway and poured the tea into the nearest houseplant. After that, he went upstairs to his bedchambers for a good night's rest.

The sound of screams woke Masaki from his slumber. For once in the past few years, he had been sleeping peacefully, but someone had gone and ruined that. He bolted from the bed as the screams grew louder and more shrill. It was a woman's voice, and she was obviously in pain. Masaki dashed down the stairs to investigate.

When Masaki reached his study, he found the door to his father's special collection room wide open. Someone had gone into that forbidden place. Another scream sounded from within. Steeling his nerves, Masaki plucked his father's katana from its place above the mantle. With the upmost caution, he crept towards the doorway and peeked in.

The sight that greeted Masaki was horrifying. A young woman was lying on a blood-soaked table, her arms and legs tied down to the four table legs. Standing over her was none other than Masuki's servant, Takeo. He gave a wicked grin as he brandished a knife and sliced off a layer of skin from the woman's arm. The woman was already missing patches of skin on her other limbs. She let out another piercing shriek as the knife sliced through skin.

Unable to stand by while this woman was being flayed alive, Masuki jumped into the room with his katana in hand. "Get away from her, Takeo."

Takeo's head snapped up and he nearly dropped his knife in surprise. "Si-i-ir. What are you doing here? The tea should have knocked you out cold."

Masaki's eyes widened in realization. His own manservant had been drugging him. No wonder he had slept through a murder within his own home. He wouldn't be surprised if the drugged tea had been the cause of his nightmares too. Rage consumed Masaki. He let out a feral snarl and lunged at his servant. Takeo did his best to deflect Masaki's blows, but the count's fury soon overwhelmed him. The knife was knocked from Takeo's hand and Masaki carved a deep gash across his opponent's chest. He held the blade to Takeo's neck, a thin trail of blood dripping down the servant's neck as he pressed the sharp tip against his skin.

"Tell me why I shouldn't kill you now?" Masaki resisted the urge to just plunge the blade into Takeo's neck. The man surely deserved it. The woman sobbing on the table, her tears mixing with her own blood, was clear evidence of that.

Takeo blinked rapidly and his mouth twitched. "I did this for you. I did this to prepare you."

"What in the Emperor's name could this be preparing me for?" Masaki said in disbelief. He had not been around his father during the worst of his madness, but he suspected it was much like this.

"To save the Emperor, of course," Takeo said, completely convinced by his own words. "The vultures are circling. First it was the Privy Council and now the NLP. They seek to make themselves the true rulers of Nippon. They must be stopped."

"You are mad," Masaki said in disgust, pressing his katana harder against Takeo's flesh. Another trail of blood flowed down his neck.

Takeo started to laugh, twitching ever so slightly. "No, I am the only sane one. I see the truth, just like your father did. He at least tried to do something about it."

"My father was insane," Masaki said with a grimace. "He brought his fate upon himself."

"You are more like him than you think."

Masaki refused to accept that. He was not mad. No logical rationale could explain his father's action. He would never pursue such actions. Masaki was so nearly consumed by his own thoughts that he almost missed Takeo's slight movement. The man had managed to inch his hand towards his knife and wielded it once more. The servant lunged up at him, trying to stab him in the chest. Masaki spun aside, letting Takeo slip past him. Takeo may have been a butcher based on the mutilated bodies Masaki had seen, but he was no swordsman. Masaki's experience in the Imperial Army gave him an advantage. As Takeo stumbled past, Masaki swung his katana around with all his force. It cut through flesh, severing Takeo's head from his shoulders. The head rolled away and a fountain of blood spurted from the torso. The woman still tied to the table screamed at the sight.

It was over. Masaki had found the man responsible for the murders. He had almost started to suspect himself, fearing that he had gone so mad he didn't even remember committing them. He could finally sleep peacefully with the true culprit dead. Masaki cut the woman free and fetched some bandages for her wounds. He was going to have a hell of a time explaining this to his colleagues in the Ministry of Justice.

Reactions:
Ministry of Commerce
To this end, the Ministry proposes the following plan, the Sakura Regulations, to restore our industrial progress:

1. We humbly ask the Finance Ministry to subsidize all factories.
2. The various factory owners will reopen their factories with the Government to contribute 50% of the reopening cost.
3. The Government will raise a factory revival levy of 5% of gross profits for the next 2 year period only to help fund the reopening programme.
4. The Government will move from a laissez faire to an interventionist stance to protect our industries.
5. We need to develop our banking system to provide cheaper and easier finance to grease the wheels of industry, and promote efficiency in our tax system to increase the yield to the State. We humbly ask the Education Ministry to promote the study of Private Banks, Business Banks and even a Central Bank to help concentrate and distribute the money where it is needed.

Yamamoto Gonnohyoe
Minister of Commerce

I would to ask the Chiarman of the Commerce Commission, Minister of Finance Nishimura Masaru (EmperorBasilius) to start a vote to Veto the Sakura Regulations.

MoW plan:

Build naval bases.
Build 2 corps with our normal army compositions.
((GET THE FORUMS TO GODDAMN REMIND ME OF THIS AAR DAMNIT!))

Last edited:
Private - Foreign Office

Foreign Affairs plan remains the same, until the Imperial Armed Forces have been expanded and our reputation is less infamous

Final Tally:

Sakamoto Remembrance Act: 13/2/0
Passed
Amendment to the Act for Protection of Democracy:10.5/0/4.5
Passed
Act to Secure the Stability of the Empire through Good Governance: 15/0/0
Passed
The Motion For National Salvation: 2/13/0

Failed

jg1c0nk.png

It has come to our attention that the privy council, backed by elements of the National Liberal Party, have asked us to declare Japan in a state of emergency. The bloodshed inflicted on the people though has been a problem caused by the NLP's passing of many restrictive laws. Our personal opinion on these laws do not matter in the case of the people versus the National Liberals, but now because of these laws, the people have rioted and the NLP has come to us asking for control of the situation.

We shall provide Prime Minister Yamagata the needed guidance to lead Japan to a state of order and prosperity as it has seen under the late Prince Munenari, and give him full authorization to clamp down on those who take up arms against our sanctioned government by declaring a state of emergency in the Empire of Japan. However, we still hold the NLP's actions accountable for what has been happening, for the chaos and instability. If the NLP fails to fix its mistake, and instead agitate the people further by unwise actions and by passing unwise acts or bills, then it is in our authority to bring dishonor upon each of the families of the National Liberal leaders. Should the system that we have put in place collapse, then we shall make sure every single NLP member, starting with Prime Minister Yamagata, commits seppuku. Thus says the Emperor!

As for the other propositions brought before us, we shall appoint Yamagata to the position of President of the Imperial Privy Council. As for the case of Marquis Hajamoto's title, we feel that revoking his title will cause further agitation among the anti-NLP crowd, and thus proclaim that the Hajamoto family shall keep their titles... for now...

-Emperor Meiji

----------------------------
Player Actions Needed: I am tired right now, so the run-through has been pushed back to tomorrow at Noon EST, or 5:00 PM GMT. A state of emergency has been declared in Japan, and the Emperor has given Yamagata full authorization to do what is necessary to keep down MIL for a year. Should MIL be significantly higher then what it is now, there will be consequences...

Last edited: