• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Plan of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs

1. Form an alliance with the German Empire and increase relations as much as possible, if relations hit 200, increase the relations with Siam
2. Protect our own sphere of influence and expand it into Siam and Manchuria

Last edited:
Reactions:
Asano Yoshinaga laughs as he listens to the debate over the FLP affair

Honestly, when you watch how imperiously this man orders around his smallish party, you just imagine what he would do if ever puts his hands on the Prime Ministry. And yet he speaks of their "democracy" and our "dictatorial tendencies". By Ancestors, he reminds me of the scoundrel Mori who tried held same talks while trying to fabricate the results of elections, betraying both the Emperor and the populace! Honesly, this opposition is so full of corruption and ineffectiveness that it is not even worth mentioning.

I, for one, believe the Opposition should be erased.

Plan of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs

1. Form an alliance with the German Empire
2. Protect our own sphere of influence and expand it into Siam and Manchuria

While I wholeheartedly agree with the policy decision to pursue a diplomatic route in both Siam and Machuria, I must openly disagree with the first point- why, and for what reason, would we, an Asian nation, succumb to Western temptation? Why, for even a moment, would we dare surrender to the Germans, and form an "alliance?" Have we not seen how our former relations with the Europeans have been? Nothing but blood and turmoil! Filthy, lying scum who have, repeatedly attacked and assaulted our nation. I see no reason why a concession to these outsiders would ever be acceptable- if Japan can not stand on its own or with the remainder of this great Asian continent, we are nothing! It is for these reasons that I urge the Foreign Minister to withdraw the first point, especially as German allies continue to reach their imperial tendrils across the globe, attempting possession, corruption, and to become a threat against Japan at every corner, but also having become the "colonial masters" of our natural allies in Southeast Asia. No, if any course must be pursued, it should not be a course of friendship, but a course of direct confrontation.

Dr. Satake Hiroshi, MP

While I wholeheartedly agree with the policy decision to pursue a diplomatic route in both Siam and Machuria, I must openly disagree with the first point- why, and for what reason, would we, an Asian nation, succumb to Western temptation? Why, for even a moment, would we dare surrender to the Germans, and form an "alliance?" Have we not seen how our former relations with the Europeans have been? Nothing but blood and turmoil! Filthy, lying scum who have, repeatedly attacked and assaulted our nation. I see no reason why a concession to these outsiders would ever be acceptable- if Japan can not stand on its own or with the remainder of this great Asian continent, we are nothing! It is for these reasons that I urge the Foreign Minister to withdraw the first point, especially as German allies continue to reach their imperial tendrils across the globe, attempting possession, corruption, and to become a threat against Japan at every corner, but also having become the "colonial masters" of our natural allies in Southeast Asia. No, if any course must be pursued, it should not be a course of friendship, but a course of direct confrontation.

Dr. Satake Hiroshi, MP

Pragmatic policies dictate that the Empire of Japan should form an alliance with one of the great powers of the world that posses modern military technologies, formidable armies and industrial wealth, so that if another crisis or war happens, it is not left alone. A call not to cooperate with any of the realms of the West is, in fact, equal to the old dreams of isolation advocated by some - for without having a mighty partner from the ranks of the top countries of the world, it would be much harder for us to defend our status as a top country as well and maintain independent foreign policies. Apart from that, we should seek to divide the Nanban countries, not help them unite against us by rejecting friendships. Especially one of Germany with whom we have carefully built ties for many years.

There is no place for sentiments in such matters, Dr. Satake.

- Asano Yoshinaga, second Marquess of Hiroshima

Last edited:
Reactions:
I have clarified the terminology of my proposed Safety and Preservation of Important Persons Act to refer to appointed officials, not elected officials.

((Private - NLP/KAP))

President: Kishiwada

Reactions:
Pragmatic policies dictate that the Empire of Japan should form an alliance with one of the great powers of the world that posses modern military technologies, formidable armies and industrial wealth, so that if another crisis or war happens, it is not left alone. A call not to cooperate with any of the realms of the West is, in fact, equal to the old dreams of isolation advocated by some - for without having a mighty partner from the ranks of the top countries of the world, it would be much harder for us to defend our status as a top country as well and maintain independent foreign policies. Apart from that, we should seek to divide the Nanban countries, not help them unite against us by rejecting friendships. Especially one of Germany with whom we have carefully built ties for many years.

There is no place for sentiments in such matters, Dr. Satake.

- Asano Yoshinaga, second Marquess of Hiroshima

It is not a matter of sentiment, Asano. This is a matter of independence- something that you seem all too ready to surrender. All Western imperialist scum must be expelled, not strengthened, and by allying with the Germans, we will only serve to weaken our own position in our continent and give an open door to the Germans and their ilk to enter not only East Asia, but slowly but surely to eat away at this nation from the inside. The Americans have a doctrine, that any act of aggression on the part of a foreign nation in the Americas is an act of aggression against that country. I am all too sure you would like to sign away this nation to outsiders in the interests of minor gains, but there will be no gain greater than repelling the Europeans in their entirety from East Asia- from Macau to Calcutta to Jakarta. Certainly, if we were seeking pragmatism, it should be evident that in a battle of wits and manpower, our own Asian continent would do far better as a unified body than as a puppet of the West. Remember that, long before my birth, it was the Chinese who came to our aid against the British, and it was the Chinese who overran our foes in India. We will stand, not with Imperialist scum, but with our natural allies... We stand with Asia!

Dr. Satake Hiroshi,
MP

As much as I hate the nanban and am appalled at the idea of considering ourselves equals with any of them, the Germans at least have not shown any interest in Asia and could be used against the much more hated British and Russians. Perhaps such an alliance could deter other nanban from attacking us, or we may even be able to use them as weapons against our enemies. Would it not be better to let the Germans die in vast numbers against the British and Russians so we can drive them from Asia? The best nanban is a dead nanban, and an alliance just gives us the ability to tell some nanban where and when to die at our convenience.

I am more curious why China has been continuously neglected by the foreign ministry for years. The Korean War left a bitter stain between us and nothing has been done to repair the rift. The closest we have is an economic agreement with one of their sub-states. I believe it would be worthwhile to take efforts to strengthen relations with our Chinese brethren. We are the two most powerful Asian nations and they could be most useful in driving out the nanban, as they proved in our first war against the British when they rampaged through India. Even if we do not seek an alliance, we should at least make the effort to remain amicable with them.

- Count Ito Masaki of Miyazaki, Minister of Justice

Asano Yoshinaga, second Marquess of Hiroshima, started to write a diary soon after his appointment as the Ambassador to Germany, and kept making entries until his death. This diary was found quite valuable by the historians of the future, for it gave a good portrayal of a mindset of a Japanese politician and aristocrat of the day.

The diary of Asano Yoshinaga (1893) ((Private))

Today, after a long and tiring voyage, I have finally arrived in Berlin. Dr Satake may roar within the halls of the Parliament as much as he wishes - as the Ambassador to the German Empire, I now have a real job to do. The change of water and new food made me suffer from indigestion - and yet the worst were the dreams. I again and again saw the great cannonballs slashing through the air, once again felt the sickening smell of the roasted human meat. I remembered the beggars moaning near the shrines in Chugoku, demonstrating us their empty eyesockets, stumps instead of arms or legs and boiled skin resembling the hide of some hideous dragon. They all have been asking for money or rice, singing prayers - and repeating one word. Khabarovsk.

Khabarovsk.
It may be so that one day we would burn it to the ground. It may be so that one day the revenge would come and the barbarian populace of the Ruski Far East would be сhucked out or put to sword. Only the scions of our majestic race would inhabit these lands with Russian women serving as their concubines. One day... And maybe it would be the German military machine that would help us in the future years?

However, currently this military machine is not experiencing the best moments. Germany has over the years battled with other Nanban countries and conquered Bohemia from Austro-Hungary and Besancon from France. At the moment they are fighting the largest war since the invasions of Napoleon, for France and Russia united against them, while they are supported by Italy, Greece, Belgium and Switzerland.

Emperor Wilhelm II granted me the audience soon after my arrival. When I was a military attache within the embassy, I have sometimes seen the Crown Prince - but it was the first time the man met me in his new role. To be honest, he talked so much that I got a headache - how different are his ways from the dignified manners of our own divine Sovereign!

- Our enemies are also the enemies of the Japanese state, Marquess, and we must here stand together. For have not both French and Russians committed numerous misdeeds towards you? They wish to subjugate Germans as much as they wished to do that to the Japanese - but it is an impossible task. Prussian might, Prussian honor, Prussian sense of duty is not something that one of these chaotic realms can overcome and I would severely punish who dares to challenge me, for I have a mandate from God to work for the good of my nation...

The Kaiser has been going on for half an hour, and I felt slightly dizzy after the discussion. I must note he spoke quite well, with considerable swagger, though constantly tried to hide his disfigured left hand, covered by a white glove, under the table.

Soon after that I visited the new Chancellor of the Reich, Count Leo von Caprivi. I found this old General a loyal and honorable man, but insignificant in personality in comparison with Prince Bismarck whom I have seen during my last tenure in Berlin. However, I am told that the Kaiser is tired of the imperious manners of the Iron Chancellor, calling him "a boorish old killjoy", and has chosen somebody whom he could trust to fulfill his every order instead. Count Caprivi ensured me that he is free of ProRussian tendencies of Bismarck and talked about the "The New Course" he and his Kaiser devised, that would bring Germany to new levels of greatness.

I was informed that the position of the new Chancellor is quite shaky. He does not have the necessary support within the German Conservative Party that now dominates the Reichstag - and therefore only the authority of the Emperor keeps him in power. Having met one of the leaders of the German Conservative Party, Elard Kurt Maria Fürchtegott von Oldenburg-Januschau, I got the confirmation of my doubts. The good deputy told me the following:

- The Junkers are the backbone of the Empire, we are the guard of the Emperor - and yet Caprivi seeks to undermine the landowners, undermine the agrarians by his freetrader nonsense! Why should we have any love for him, if he puts his hands inside our wallets? He also tried to deal with the Social Democrats, this Schweineband, which is simply a blasphemy! However, while this war lasts and while the Kaiser is with him, we would not make any moves - for the will of our Sovereign is above any factional matters for us. As I always like to say, the King of Prussia and German Emperor must always be able to order to a lieutenant: take ten men and lock up the Reichstag. Is not it the same in Japan?

I solemnly agreed that the supreme authority of the Emperor is sacrosanct for us and the Constitution is His instrument of governance.

However, what is important - is that Germany now in the middle of a Great War and Franco-Russian alliance is more successful. If we form an alliance with the Reich before the conclusion of the war, we could be drawn into it.

I would timely provide His Majesty, the General and my Minister with the communique containing the information I gathered.

Last edited:
Reactions:
As much as I hate the nanban and am appalled at the idea of considering ourselves equals with any of them, the Germans at least have not shown any interest in Asia and could be used against the much more hated British and Russians. Perhaps such an alliance could deter other nanban from attacking us, or we may even be able to use them as weapons against our enemies. Would it not be better to let the Germans die in vast numbers against the British and Russians so we can drive them from Asia? The best nanban is a dead nanban, and an alliance just gives us the ability to tell some nanban where and when to die at our convenience.

I am more curious why China has been continuously neglected by the foreign ministry for years. The Korean War left a bitter stain between us and nothing has been done to repair the rift. The closest we have is an economic agreement with one of their sub-states. I believe it would be worthwhile to take efforts to strengthen relations with our Chinese brethren. We are the two most powerful Asian nations and they could be most useful in driving out the nanban, as they proved in our first war against the British when they rampaged through India. Even if we do not seek an alliance, we should at least make the effort to remain amicable with them.

- Count Ito Masaki of Miyazaki, Minister of Justice

The Germans may not have a noticeable presence, but their allies, the Dutch, hold an exceptionally considerable one, meaning that an alliance with the Germans would be the acceptance of the Dutch control of Indonesia. A far more appropriate ally would be the United States, who has expressed little interest in Asian expansionism beyond their work together with our nation during the aftermath of the Boshin War.

Dr. Satake Hiroshi, MP

The Germans may not have a noticeable presence, but their allies, the Dutch, hold an exceptionally considerable one, meaning that an alliance with the Germans would be the acceptance of the Dutch control of Indonesia. A far more appropriate ally would be the United States, who has expressed little interest in Asian expansionism beyond their work together with our nation during the aftermath of the Boshin War.

Dr. Satake Hiroshi, MP
With all due respect, Doctor, did not the United States arise from Britain's former colonies? Did not the United States annex the island kingdom of Hawaii, purchase Alaska from the Russians ((did they?)), and express their willingness to purchase the Phillipines from Spain? And were they not our sphere overlord for some time? The Americans have in my opinion a large interest in Asian expansion.

I, for one, believe the Opposition should be erased.

Uesugi scratches his nose in a tired manner.

"I doubt you are the only one to think in such a regard."

Reactions:
Things would be much easier if everyone thought the same way.

Things would also be easier if we ate dirt and were labeled by number. However the ancestors don't want us to have it easy, they want us to be men that would make them proud.

Reactions:
Budget of the Empire of Japan:
Taxes:

Poor: 66%
Middle: 66%
Rich: 66%
Expenses:
Stockpile:
Land: 25%
Naval: 30%
Construction: 30%
Other government expenses:
Education: 60%
Administration: 5%
Social spending: 100%
Military: 50%
Tariffs: 5%

Contingencies: First contingencies override later ones(for example Cont. I overrides II.).

Contingency I: Major Armed Conflict ((Wars, or large rebellions)) :
In case of the Empire of Japan engaging on, or is about to declare the belligerency in an armed conflict, domestically or internationally, the Land Stockpile would be immediately increased to 100%, and in the case the war requires the active participation of the Imperial Japanese Navy, the Naval Stockpile would also be increased to 100%. Such increasing spending would require to levy more taxes and lower expenses:

• Increase tariffs by 5% until balance is achieved. Failing this:
    • Increase taxes by 10% on all strata until balance is achieved. Failing this:
    • Decrease education spending by 10% until balance is achieved. Failing this:
    • Decrease Administrative spending by 10% until balance is achieved. Failing this:
    • Increase tariffs again by 10% until balance is achieved. Failing this:
    • Increase taxes by 10% on all strata until balance is achieved. Failing this:
    • Decrease education spending by 10% until balance is achieved. Failing this:
    • Decrease Naval stockpile to 0% and immediately order all ships docked. Failing this:
    • Increase taxes on all strata until balance is achieved. Failing this:
    • Decrease Land stockpile until balance is achieved, refrain from engaging in battle and immediately convene the Emperor and the cabinet.
When the conflict is over the budget will return to its pre-war status.

Contingency II: Deficit:
A. Standard deficit:
In case the Empire of Japan has taken more than 1000 in debt, changes would be made to the budget to achieve balance:

• Increase taxes by 5% on all strata until balance is achieved. Failing this
    • Increase taxes by 5% until balance is achieved. Failing this:
    • Unless an important construction project is underway, decrease construction by 25% until balance is achieved. Failing this:
    • Decrease education by 10% until balance is achieved. Failing this:
    • Decrease administrative spending by 10% until balance is achieved. Failing this:
    • Decrease military funding by 5% util balance is achieved. Failing this:
    • Increase tariffs by 10% until balance is achieved. Failing this:
    • Increase taxes by 5% until balance is achieved.
After a steady surplus is achieved, begin reverting the contingency's policies in a reverse order((decrease taxes by 5, decrease tariffs by 10, increase military by 5 etc.)) until the budget is again normal.
B. Major International Debt:
In the case that the steps taken to fix the standard deficit problem have failed, and the Empire of Japan has taken extreme amounts of loans and is fearing bankruptcy, the following drastic steps would be taken to fix the issue: (those apply in addition to the standard deficit policies))

• Decrease administrative spending by 10% until balance is achieved. Failing this:
    • Decrease education by 20% until balance is achieved. Failing this:
    • Decrease military funding by 10% until balance is achieved. Failing this:
    • Increase taxes until balance is achieved.
After a steady surplus is achieved and most debts have been payed, begin reverting the contingency's policies in a reverse order.

Contingency III: Surplus:
A. Regular:
In case the Empire of Japan is running on a steady surplus of at least 150, changes would be made to the budget:

• Increase education by 10%. In case a steady surplus still exists:
    • Decrease taxes for all strata in 5% increments until they reach 50%, keep decreasing each increment as long a steady surplus still exists. In case a steady surplus still exists:
    • Increase military funding by 10%. In case a steady surplus still exists:
    • Decrease taxes for all strata by 10%.
B. Construction project:
In case the Empire of Japan is undergoing a construction project important on the national level, which may be the recruitment and training of soldiers, the building of naval ships or infrastructures, and is running on a steady surplus, priority will be given to increasing Construction funding to 100% until the important project is finished.

~Count Nishimura Masaru of Fukuoka, Minister of Finance

Kishiwada Zaibatsu Orders 1893
  1. Destroy Kyushu Fabric
  2. Build A Fuel Refinery in Kyushu
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

((Private - NLP/KAP))

President: Kishiwada

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1893 Ministry of Education Tech Plan:

1. Naval Plans
2. Cheap Iron
3. Associationism
4. Blue and Brown water schools
5. Electricity
6. Romanticism
7. Business Regulations
8. Scientific Management
9. Business Banks
10. Revolution & Counterrevolution
11. Deep Defense System
12. Steel Breech Loaded Artillery​

kr_jrg.gif

The Office of the Governor General of Chosen

I am humbled by the appointment of this post and will perform my duties faithfully and to the letter in the service of the nation and the exalted Emperor. With my charge there is much work to be done in the wake of the war that has left the Korean army in tatters. With express permission of the Chief of the General Staff I will begin aggressive actions on rebuilding this force as quickly as possible both to ensure the security of the designated area and to maintain order now that a large void has been created, for the time being those under my command including the 3rd Corps will maintain their guardianship of the peninsula but make no mistake, this is only a temporary fix.

As such we will offer incentives for the local population to join the military, especially if unemployment appears to satisfy both the needs the populace and strategic interests. I will oversee their training regimen myself so in the future we will not see a repeat of Khabarovsk which claimed the lives of so many. The primary goal will be to restore the might of our forces to pre-war levels within the next 4 years if possible. I will require the support of both the General Staff and the government in this endeavor to ensure that our interests are firmly secured while re-creating a more efficient fighting force to serve not only the capacity of defending the Korean Peninsula, but also able to rapidly deploy to any conflict zone in the name of the Emperor.

~ General Miroki Kusenagi, Deputy of the CoGS, CO of the 3rd Corps

Interior Ministry Directives #297, #362 & #363

As per research already documented, the need for greater efficiency in factories outside central Honshu may be remedied by the promotion of a larger, more competent managerial level within companies.

A recruitment drive shall take place in the regions of Kansai and Chubu.

The Ministry of the Interior will provide to the office of the Governor General of Chosen whatever assistance, material or otherwise, required for the speedy re-establishment of the Chosen garrison force.

Chubu: Soldiers
Kansai: Soldiers
Kyushu: Clerks
Seoul: Soldiers
Busan: Soldiers ((If Shikoku is fixed))

((Also, naxhi, could I get a vague indication of per-state literacy in the Japanese islands?))

Last edited: