• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Private - NLP/KAP))

I Nominate my self for President of the Diet.

((Privy Council - Private))

Prime Minister: Yamagata Michitsura

[Count]

Lords of the Privy Council,

I motion that Count Yamagata Michitsura, when he has officially become the Prime Minister of Japan, will also be elevated to the rank of Privy Councillor, to strengthen our council with his wisdom and patience and to continue the precedent of Prime Ministers also occupy a seat in the Privy Council set by Marquis Oshiro and continued by his succesor Prince Date.

Lord Tanabe, Count of Wayakama

((The vote will end in 24 hours))
Elevate Count Yamagata Michitsura to rank of Privy Councillor upon recieving the mandate to form a Cabinet by His Imperial Majesty: Yes/No/Absain

Personal vote: Yes

((The PC voted, ending vote early))

[Insert Imperial Seal Here]

It is in our power to appoint Yamagata Michitsura as Prime Minister of Japan.

-Emperor Meiji

--------------------------------

Player Actions Needed: Maxwell you have two days to get a government going and a budget created.

General Yamagata mounted a stage setup outside the headquarters of the National Liberal Party adorned in his dress uniform.

"We have been given a mandate by the people of Japan, and the Emperor, to govern this country. It is an honor, a privilege and a sacred duty we must all swear to give our utmost to. It is before you all today that I give my pledge to use my mandate to restore order to the Empire, to rebuild our military and return the prestige and honor that we lost at the hands of the British and Russians. We cannot allow their actions, and the consequences of such, to dominate the way we think and act; we will rise stronger and we will learn from the mistakes that caused the disasters that led to the deaths of the honorable Prince Date, Marquis Asano and 150,000 brave patriots.

Our greatest task at hand has not changed; it is our duty to liberate the people of Asia and unite them under the banner of the Empire of Japan, for it is our destinies as the children of Amaterasu to accomplish his. The people have affirmed their own beliefs in this and we must stand lockstep together to achieve all of this. Already I have met with many of my brethren in the party and we have discussed and laid out a comprehensive plan of action including the restructuring of our military and state organs to facilitate the goals at hand. I promise that if you grant me your support, your dedication and give your utmost to the Emperor and Japan that we will rise stronger, as a phoenix from the ashes...

But most importantly I give my undying devotion to the Emperor of Japan, our God, the guiding beacon of light, and the originator of our national sovereignty."

At this General Yamagata got onto his knees and facing in the direction of the Imperial Palace he bowed until his head touched the stage, holding for a few moments before rising again.

"Long live the Emperor!"

Deputy Prime Minister & Minister of Foreign Affairs: Tanabe Shinzou (TJDS)

Ambassador to Germany: Asano Yoshinaga (Marschalk)
Minister of War: Nobunage Tadakaka (Dreumel)
Chief of the Army/Navy General Staff: Yamagata Michitsura (Maxwell500)
Deputy Chief of the Army/Navy General Staff: Kusanagi Miroki (Terraferma)
Military Attache to Germany: Date Munehiro (Riccardo93)
Minister of Finance: Nishimura Masaru (EmperorBasilius)
Minister of the Interior: Kusaribe Kinzo (Keinwyn)
Minister of Justice: Ito Masaki (Michaelangelo)
Minister of Education: Kishiwada Yukio (mrlifeless)
Minister of Commerce: Yamamoto Gonnohyoe (Davout)

Governor-General of Chosen: Kusanagi Miroki (Terraferma)
Governor-General of the Philippines: Iroh Hirotaka (DutchGuy)

Last edited:
((For Noco))

Court Case #567
Iraksun vs. The Empire of Japan
Sengo Iraksun is a convicted man. Iraksun has been arrested in a case of slander. Iraksun is a staunch pacifist, and was very anti-Date. Following Date Munenari's death, Iraksun published a pamphlet in the region of Kyushu painting Date as a blood thirsty tyrant killed by his own hubris. The NLP officials in the region have arrested Iraksun and have charged him with slander. Iraksun's case has been brought before you, Justice Shimazu. This case has far more societal importance then just a simple court case. This case calls into question "How free is our press?" This case can decide if papers can operate unrestricted and freely, or if they have to be watched by the government for "slanderous" effects.

Option A: We must uphold the constitutionality of free press! While it is immoral to paint legends in a bad light, Date's constitution asked for free press. The government has no role in what the papers print!

Option B: Date was an honorable man! This slander cannot be the norm in Japan. The government must take an active role in managing what comes out of the press in case of slander.

((If our law code classifies the publication of defamatory pamphlets as slander, then it really needs to be revised. :p))

Lord Tanabe, the new Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs, announced, while cheered at by the National Liberal Party MPs that he wishes to divide the Diet on the following bills:

Restoration of the Sacred Duties and Traditions of His Imperial Majesty Act - 神聖な義務と天皇陛下法の伝統の回復

Resolved, that His Imperial Majesty is sacred and inviolable and His Imperial Majesty is the head of the Empire, combining in Himself the rights of sovereignty, and exercises them accordingly.

I. The sacred and inviolable position of His Imperial Majesty by virtue of his divine ancestry unbroken for ages eternal is hereby reinsured by post-Meiji Restoration law
II. He who has, distributes, publicly exhibits, or possess to be publically disblayed and or be distrubuted, a document or image that contain an insult to the person of and or all actions and proceedings for which the person of His Imperial Majesty is responsible, His Imperial Majesty's family or his Regent, if he knows or has serious reason to suspect that in the writing or image prevents such offense, shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding seven years.
a. The same punishment is imposed on whom, with equal knowledge or a similar reason to suspect the contents of such a document or speech, spreads this insult by speech.

Protection of the Empire Act - 帝国法の保護
I. Any organized group seeking to destabilize Empire of Japan and its Government with violence is to be considered as "terrorist".
II. Any armed group not controlled by state and not authorized by the state with command system is to be considered "Paramilitary".
III. Membership in such group can be punished by up to three years in Prison. Leaders and commanders of such groups are guilty of treason.
IV. Members of such groups who are found guilty of crimes related to the group or its ideology are susceptible to harsher punishments than specified in the Penal Code. Length of imprisonment can be fifty longer than usual.
V. All existing groups fitting the descriptions in paragraph I and II are immediately disbanded. Creation of such group on future is considered null and void and will be considered as treason.

The Imperial Law Enforcement Agency Act - 帝国法執行機関の法
I. Imperial Law Enforcement Agency shall be a force created in order to maintain law and order.
II. Imperial Law Enforcement Agency shall be organised as a military force with specific ranks, uniforms and right to bear arms.
III. Imperial Law Enforcement Agency is responsible for public safety, investigation of crimes, searching and arresting criminals and punishing minor offences.
IV. Imperial Law Enforcement Agents are allowed to use the necessary means to prevent or stop any illegal activity and to apprehend criminals. However, those means must not be used too excessively or against the basic rights of citizens.
V. Imperial Law Enforcement Agency is obliged to respect the rights of citizens. Any offences against those are to be resolved by Regional courts.
VI.Imperial Law Enforcement Agency are allowed to punish minor offences with a reprimand, fines, seizure or up to 1 month in jail.
VII. The offender may choose to accept the punishment or appeal to a Local Court.
VIII. The Commissioner-General of the Imperial Law Enforcement Agency shall be the supreme commander of the Imperial Law Enforcement Agency , responsible to the Minister of the Interior. Commissioner-Generals in prefectures command the local forces and are responsible both to the Minister of the Interior and Commissioner-General of the Imperial Law Enforcement Agency.
IX. The Minister of the Interior appoints the Commissioner-General of the Imperial Law Enforcement Agency and Commissioner-Generals in prefectures.
X. The Commissioner-General of the Imperial Law Enforcement Agency is responsible for disciplinary actions among the Imperial Law Enforcement Agency.
XI. Commissioner-Generals in prefectures appoint the commanding officers in the districts.
XII. Commissioner-General of the Imperial Law Enforcement Agency can issue internal orders regarding any organisational or otherwise important internal matter. Those can be cancelled or changed by the Minister of the Interior, who can also issue his own orders.
XIII. All civilian police forces existing in Japan except for Imperial Law Enforcement Agency are to be cancelled. The Imperial Law Enforcement Agency shall be divided into different Directorates focusing on specific types of law enforcement.

The Special Higher Police Act - 特別高等警察法
I. The Tokubetsu Kōtō Keisatsu[Special Higher Police] (henceforth referred to as TKK) is by the passage of this act created. The TKK shall be organised as a military force with specific ranks, uniforms and right to bear arms.
II. The TKK will protect His Imperial Majesty, His Imperial Majesty’s Government and the Empire. The TKK will be a more organized and stronger Agency than the Imperial Law Enforcement Agency (henceforth referred as ILEA), and is a separate entity from the ILEA, yet retaining the powers of the ILEA. It will serve His Imperial Majesty, His Imperial Majesty’s Government and the Empire to their best interests and to for fill that task the TKK needs to be more independent than the ILAE. The TKK will be tasked with the protection of His Imperial Majesty and his family and government officials, notably the Prime Minister, the Ministers, and other important figures. The TKK will handle high-profile murders, organisations that wish to destabilize the Empire with radical ideas etc., terrorists and paramilitaries and other threats, both internal and external, to His Imperial Majesty, His Imperial Majesty’s Government and the Empire.
III. The TKK is led by the Director of the TKK; he is appointed by the Minister of the Interior and Prime Minister. The Director serves a four year-term. He can only be removed from office by the Council of Ministers.
IV. The TKK is divided in five Departments, North Japan, South Japan, Chosen and the Overseas Territories, these Departments are led by a Chief of [Name of Region]. These Chiefs are appointed by the Director of the TKK and can be removed by him at any time for any reason. However they remain a member of the Agency unless fired for legitimate reasons.
V. The TKK shall be the only police force exempted from the power of the Commissioner-General of the ILAE and it shall directly answer to the Minister of the Interior, who in turn is responsible for all actions done by the Director of the TKK, who in turn is responsible for the Chiefs, who in turn are responsible for the officers of their respective region, who in turn are responsible for their agents etc.
VI. Every Agent of the TKK, if on duty, has full legal power to protect himself, his colleagues, the His Imperial Majesty, His Imperial Majesty’s Government and the Empire.
VII. Every Agent of the TKK has the right to requisition a vehicle in order to apprehend a suspect, said vehicle must be returned within a fortnight, or the required funds paid for the vehicle must also be paid if the vehicle is in need of repair or damaged beyond repair.
VIII. Every Agent of the TKK, if on duty, has the right to confiscate proof if deemed necessary and to arrest any suspect if deemed necessary.
IX.The TKK may recruit civilians, both Japanese and other, to cooperate with them for the protection of the His Imperial Majesty, His Imperial Majesty’s Government and the Empire, who can receive legal and/or monetary help.

The Constitutional Principles Act - 憲法の原則法
The Imperial Diet resolves:
I. That, allqualified members of the diet or peers of Japan are required by oath to hold loyalty to the Empire, and to "swear loyally to observe the Constitution and the laws of the State and to exercise their functions with the sole goal of the inseparable good of the Emperor and of the Fatherland."
II. That as logically follows, the advocacy of republicanism violates the principle of loyalty to His Imperial Majesty, and the exercise of their functions towards the good of His Imperial Majesty.
III. That as logically follows, the advocacy of radical social change, the likes of which has been propagated by such disreputable persons as Charles Fourier and Robert Owen and other persons thereof, namely that which alters the fundamental monarchial nature of the state, and the establishment thereof violates the principle of loyalty to the Constitution
IV. That therefore, advocates of republicanism, radical social and anarchistical principles, and Freemasonry are ineligible to stand for election or service, or continuing service, for or within the Imperial Diet of the Empire of Japan unless they renounce their beliefs through swearing an oath to His Imperial Majesty and the Empire.

The State of Emergency Act - 救急法の状態
I. His Imperial Majesty may at any time enact a State of Emergency. This may only last for a period of two months.
II. A State of Emergency grants the Prime Minister and his Cabinet additional powers, as outlined in article III.
III. A State of Emergency allows the Prime Minister and his Cabinet to take the following actions in Japan:
1. Temporarily apply censorship to printed press.
2. Arrest individuals on Japanese soil for a maximum period of 48 hours, without providing any statement.
3. Declare general mobilisation.
4. Order policing forces to search individuals or property, if needed, on a random basis.
5. Deny certain or all individuals access to certain public areas.
6. Outlaw gathering in areas outside of public areas.
7. Use army forces as a policing force.
Points 2, 4, and 5 of the first paragraph do not apply to members of the Diet, the Cabinet, or members of nobility and their property.
IV. When State of Emergency for any reason is about to end a vote must be conducted in the Diet on whether or not it was legitimiate.
V. Such a vote as is meant in article IV shall be presented to the Diet as if it were a normal proposal. Should it be approved by both of the houses of the Diet then it is considered legitimate. Were the opposite to happen, the state of State of Emergency is deemed illegitimate.
VI. Should a declaration of State of Emergency be deemed illegitimate, those who have the power to enact it shall be prohibited from enacting it for a period of three months after the end of any ongoing State of Emergency.
VII. If a declaration of State of Emergency is deemed legitimate, the Prime Minister may, in accordance with the will of His Imperial Majesty:
1. End the State of Emergency and reserve his right to call for it at any other time.
2. Initiate a Parliamentary vote to prolong State of Emergency for a maximum period of sixty days.
VIII. A State of Emergency that has already been prolonged in accordance with article VII point 2 may be prolonged indefinitely. However, the Diet must vote on it once every eighty days.
IX. If public security and order are seriously disturbed or endangered within the Empire, the Prime Minister may take measures necessary for their restoration, intervening if need be with the assistance of the armed forces. The Prime Minister must inform the Imperial Diet without delay of all measures taken. These measures are to be revoked on the demand of the Imperial Diet.

Representation Act - 表現法
I. The Imperial Diet acknowledges that the current division of seats proportional to the amount of inhabitants of a region leads to undesirable results, namely the underrepresentation of the Armed Forces, whose ability to defend the Empire is vital for us all, due to the lack of the ability of our brave soldiers abroad and in the overseas territories to vote.
II. Henceforth, the division of seats in the Imperial Diet shall be fixed as such:
1. The prefecture of Tohuku shall be represented in the Imperial Diet by 35 seats.
2. The prefecture of Chubu shall be represented in the Imperial Diet by 77 seats.
3. The prefecture of Kanto shall be represented in the Imperial Diet by 100 seats.
4. The prefecture of Kansai shall be represented in the Imperial Diet by 105 seats.
5. The prefecture of Chugoku shall be represented in the Imperial Diet by 30 seats.
6. The prefecture of Shikoku shall be represented in the Imperial Diet by 18 seats.
7. The prefecture of Kyushu shall be represented in the Imperial Diet by 48 seats.
8. The prefecture of Hokkaido shall be represented in the Imperial Diet by 12 seats.
9. The military shall receive sixty seats in the Diet, to be appointed by the Chief of the General Staff on the advice of the General Staff.
III. The division of seats in the Imperial Diet by region may be altered by a subsequent Act of the Imperial Diet.

Last edited:
Iraksun vs. The Empire of Japan

Chapter II, Article 29 of our Constitution reads: "Japanese subjects shall, within the limits of law, enjoy the liberty of speech, writing, publication, public meetings and associations." However, the act of libel - printed statements with the intent to dishonor the reputation of others using false information - does not fall within the limits of the law, and has no afforded protections. Thus, it is fully within the rights of the Japanese Government to curtail any and all attempts at misinformation and written defamations.

- Justice Shimazu Narioki

((OPTION B))

Mochinori, seeing the flurry of legislation presented that would be sure to be rubberstamped through, stood up in the Diet.

"Noticing the place of the recently tabled legislation, I call into question the government as to why it bothers pretending to legitimise the organisation of opposition parties. If one is to do away with the parliament created by the Boshin War in the name of the Emperor, I beg you to at least do it proper. It offends my sensibilities as to the lack of direct action as expected by military men.

Further, I call into question the lack of social progress within the recent legislation tabled. Should not the children of Japan go to school? Should not Japan have adequate hospitals to service the ill? I call upon the government to right these wrongs and advance Japan into a truly modern state, since any and all legislation not brought up by a member of the National Liberals is no doubt doomed to fail."

Further, I call into question the lack of social progress within the recent legislation tabled. Should not the children of Japan go to school? Should not Japan have adequate hospitals to service the ill? I call upon the government to right these wrongs and advance Japan into a truly modern state, since any and all legislation not brought up by a member of the National Liberals is no doubt doomed to fail."

The hospitals are more then adequate and the children all go to school. What kind of "social progress" are you calling for that we haven't achived?

The hospitals are more then adequate and the children all go to school. What kind of "social progress" are you calling for that we haven't achived?

Are you saying that there is no possible way in which to better national healthcare and further ensure the education of our youth?

Are you saying that there is no possible way in which to better national healthcare and further ensure the education of our youth?
Yes

Robert Owens

In order to prevent the use of a potential loophole on the behalf of known republican socialists, I seek to inform the Honourable Lord Tanabe that there is in fact no such person.

-- Count Hosokawa.

In order to prevent the use of a potential loophole on the behalf of known republican socialists, I seek to inform the Honourable Lord Tanabe that there is in fact no such person.

-- Count Hosokawa.

My apologies, Lord Hosokawa, a clerk must have copied the bill wrongly. New copies of the bill are already being circulated to the members of the Imperial Diet.

Lord Tanabe

I propose the following measure to be reviewed by the Diet:

Reform of Old Age Welfare Act

1. All Japanese citizens, which include Koreans but as of now not Filipinos, are entitled to retirement benefits upon reaching retirement age, which shall be discussed in the next point.

2. The retirement age is set at 70 years of age. All citizens who reach this age have the option to retire from the workforce.

3. Retired citizens shall receive retirement pensions, the amount of which is to be determined by the annual income and occupation of the citizen prior to retirement. For example, a farmer would not receive the same amount of pensions as a trained doctor.

4. The pension amount shall at least be enough to pay for the citizen’s basic expenses (food, water, rent, etc.).

5. Retirement pensions may be stacked with military pensions and pensions for serving in the Japanese government. Said military and government pension amounts will be determined by the relevant military/government body.

6. ((Set retirement pension reform to maximum))

I welcome any criticism of this bill.
~Sakamoto

Members of the Imperial Diet,

The Bill proposed by the Hon. Prince Sakamoto is one the New Moderates cannot support. This bill will chain the government of Japan to enourmes expenses it can only pay with harsh taxes, which threathen the economic freedom and incentive of our markets and our people, an unfaltering constant in our policy, no matter the threats and acts of the Imperialists. Thus I ask the Diet to vote against this bill, to protect the incentive and economic freedom of our people and to save future governments from crippeling debts that this bill will undoubtedly force upon them.

The Rt. Hon. Lord Tanabe
MP PC, Second Count of Wayakama
His Imperial Majesty's Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs,
Leader of the New Moderates