• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Munehiro looked beyond the podium nervously; he had seen his grandfather and, more of than not, his father deliver these addresses to the annual National Liberal Congress; his father had a particular knack for them – perhaps that was why he had been made a spokesman for Kusaribe-san’s business. He glanced down at his notes, and sighed lightly. It wasn’t as though he had never delivered a speech before – he had even given on at the Congress three years ago, before the war… though that was different, not much had been expected of him… – and besides, it wasn’t as though he was speaking to strangers. He knew almost all of the faces before him, certainly in the upper rows: associates of his father and grandfather, and behind them, his own comrades. Most of them were older than him, of course, but even so he had always been welcomed – he was the grandson of the Prime Minister after all, and the son-in-law of the Commander in Chief of the Armies as well. He doubted few people would be opposed to being friends with him.

Still, as his eyes scanned the room one final time, he couldn’t help but feel anxious. His eyes fell upon the empty seats in the front row; he frowned and turned back to his notes. He cleared his throat and, with a half-formed smile, a weak smile, he began.

We have arrived here to celebrate another anniversary of this illustrious party’s founding, and to once again determine the leadership and future course of the National Liberals, and with it the entire Empire. We have, for three decades, stayed tirelessly at the helm of this nation, fighting foreign imperialists and asserting our position nationally as an economic and military powerhouse, the counter-balance to the West, the hegemon of Asia.

We could never have done so without the determined and inspired leadership of our forebears – he glanced down again at the empty seats that lined the front row ominously – and yet now, in this time of insecure peace, in this time of uncertainty, we must not waver, for if we falter, if we abandon their ideals and back away from the supreme confidence that they held in this nation, we will be left behind, a straggler in the world stage. To change course now, to concede defeat and wallow in weakness and defeat, is to strike our forebears, to sully their legacy, and to abandon our fatherland. I cannot bring myself to commit such cowardice.

Some would say the great and terrible defeat at Khabarovsk is a sign that we have overreached, that we have followed the wrong path, that the policies instated and pursued vigorously by our predecessors was the cause of that defeat. To them, I scorn them. To them, I mock them. To them, I laugh at them. For they chosen not to pursue glory and excellence, they have chosen not to reach for the high heavens, they have chosen not to reach the potential innately born within every son of the Emperor, for every child of the land of the Rising Sun. That battle, that great and awesome and terrible battle, was a testament to both how far we have come, and how much farther we must go before the dreams of our forebears is truly realised – we stood against the combined might of Britain and Russia, the two greatest of the Western Powers, and we held them. We drove them from our homes and our lands, and we pursued them, and very nearly broke them.

Lessons must be learnt from the defeat, and they shall. But not from men who hide from glory, who shrug off the mantle thrust upon them by the bloody arms of their comrade, pleading with their dying breaths to continue the fight. No, they will not lead us, for they cannot lead us. We are a nation of warriors, of brave men… and we will rise from this defeat like the Sun, and we shall reach our apex. We shall bring Asia into civility and into unity over the Western Powers.

The armies have been bloodied, but they have not been broken. Our will shaken, but forever unyielding. We shall rebuild. We shall rebuild, and we shall become stronger than ever. I place my utmost faith in my brothers and sisters, we the heirs of the Yamato, we the conquerors of Chosen, we who drove out the Westerners where all other Asians have failed.

It is only through good leadership, strong leadership, that we can do so – there is no other leader fit to command the Japanese, for we are a proud, strong people. I believe that General Yamagata, a hero of the Boshin War, and a veteran of countless battles and triumphant wars, is the man who should – who must – lead our party and nation. We must rebuild, we must recover, and we must impress upon our foes that we have not been broken, nor will we ever be broken.

In the name of Date and Asano, in the name of the Emperor, in the name of Japan, let us rise again!

-

Leader: Yamagata

[Militarist]
[Masters of the Empire; +4, Constitutional Bonus; +1]

~ Count Date Munehiro

Reactions:
The death of Date Munenari is the worst thing to have happened to the kingdom in the last 50 years. We lost a great military and political leader.

I believe general Yamagata will lead Nippom to become the greatest nation on earth, but we will need to get our army back to strength. This war has been disastrous and we cannot have such a humiliation happen again.

This is why I suggest to increase our efforts in propaganda to have more people join the military. ((Requesting regional focuses to be put on recruiting Soldiers))

In an ideal world, we would have a standing army of atleast 500K men at all times.

In order for Japan to dominate Asia we have to do one thing. We have to crush China under our iron fist. Diplomacy is not working, we'll have to teach them with steel.

- Nobunage Tadakaka, Minister of War.

With all due respect to the Minister of War, I fail to see how a diplomatic approach has at all failed. When a diplomatic approach was pursued, we were exceptionally successful in gaining access to several of the regional authorities of China, and, if we were to continue this approach, I am certain that we could find ourselves in a strong position within ten to twenty years. As we have seen in this humiliating defeat at the hands of the Russians and their ilk, our true enemies are Western imperialists. It would be counter-productive to give them any opportunity to expand their authority in our East, as an invasion of China would be likely to lend itself. No, but if we could reform our former alliance with China and work to bring them to modernization, they could serve as a partner and bulwark against the foreigners, particularly the Russians. Furthermore, peaceful, diplomatic access to their natural resources would allow for Japanese industry to accumulate great wealth with minimal cost in administrative fees- and, of course, without placing hundreds of thousands of Japanese lives in harm's way during a time when the military is still recuperating from a great loss in Marshal Date.

Dr. Satake Hiroshi

Reactions:
((Private - NLP))

Leader: Yamagata

[Politician]
[None]

Members of the Farmer-Labor Party I thank you all for joining us to elect our party leader. Please fill out your ballots.

Murayama Kuri: Protectionism / State Capitalism / Pacifism / Pluralism / Limited Citizenship

Hajamoto Kiyotaka: Protectionism / State Capitalism / Pacifism / Pluralism / Limited Citizenship

My Ballot, comrades is:

FLP Party Leader: Murayama

((Private - NLP))

NLP Leader : Yamagata

KGrHqZpQFD8e95s+hBRLF3W-pg60_57-812x1024.jpg

Name: Daisuke Matsuzaka
Date of Birth: May 9, 1858
Class: Militarist
Bio:
Matsuzaka was born in Kyoto to an officer in Date's army in the Boshin War. Daisuke followed his father's footsteps and joined the Imperial Army where he became a fanatical Dateist. He served with distinction and valor in the Korean War and was promoted to corporal. However, Daisuke soon became enamored with new technologies from the West and believed it necessary for Nippon to adopt them to survive and fulfill her destiny as hegemon of the East. He became fascinated with steam ships and joined the Imperial Navy, where rose to the rank of captain in the Great Asian War. During the War of Nanban Aggression he fought valiantly against the might of the Royal Navy, fighting to the last man in his outgunned frigate which was nearly sunk. When he heard the news of Date the Great's death Daisuke spent the next three months in morning, is dedicated we he to his general.

Matsuzaka is a fanatical believe in the Emperor's divine right, Date's legacy, the NLP, and Nippon's eventual destiny as ruler of the East. He seeks a society fused in the ideas of Japanese tradition and her most recent advances and victories using Western technology. With the Imperial Navy in need of rebuilding he hopes to ascend to the rank of admiral.

Last edited:
Rumours quickly spread of the abundance of sodomy and drunkenness on Daisuke Matsuzaka's infamous frigate, whose crew was so incompetent that they could not even adequately defend themselves against gaijin.

The NLP leadership elections have ended, The new leader of the NLP is General Yamagata.

General Yamagata mounted the stage after the results were announced, he bowed his head to the assembled dignitaries.

"It is both an honor, and a privilege, to be entrusted to lead the National Liberal Party: the party of Prince Marshal Date, the party of progress and prosperity. For the last twenty-nine years this party has guided the Empire of Japan, by the will of the people and grace of the Emperor. In return we have given them our utmost devotion and dedication, building a stronger and better Japan as each year has passed. In truth, who can say Japan would be where it is now without the National Liberal Party?

It is as such that I accept this responsibility with the knowledge that I have the legacy of one of Japan's greatest heroes to follow and although I know no one can truly surpass the achievements of the Prince Marshal, I will endeavor to do my utmost for our party, for Japan and for the Emperor. We have had our honor and prestige put to question with the Second Anglo-Japanese War but it is my commitment to all of you today that we will rise higher, like a phoenix reborn from the ashes. We will right the wrongs delivered to Japan, and we will rebuild our armies and strengthen our navies. It is our destiny to unite Asia under the banner of Japan, the chosen children of Amaterasu.

These elections will be our greatest triumph, and the final proof that the people of Japan have placed their trust in the National Liberal Party. We will not forsake their trust, and we will deliver all that we promise to the people. It is my sincere hope that through this all that you will stand by me, we have much to do.

Long live the Emperor."

I am pleased to congratulate the Honorable General, and while we do not view every issue the same, I can think of no other man who is truly fit to take the reins of the National Liberal Party at this time. This will certainly be an election and a government that will not be forgotten for generations to come.

Dr. Satake Hiroshi, MP

It would seem that there is no opposition for the Constitutional Democratic nomination, and thus I will take up the position of General-Secretary once again.

- Nagane Hidetoshi

I for one see little point in our party hosting mandatory leadership primaries election after election. Japan is not a Presidential Republic, and we are not republicans - indeed, we oppose a strong executive. If none of our party members is either bold enough or unsatisfied enough with our party leadership to challenge the incumbent leader in the period following an election result, then our leader should not have to undergo the embarrassing ritual farce of resigning his post, putting himself up for re-election and then waiting for nobody to challenge him every four years for appearances sake.

-- Count Hosokawa

Farmer-Labor Party Leader : Hajamoto Kiyotaka

~ Hajamoto Kiyotaka, Marquis of Izu & Farmer-Labor Member of the Imperial Diet

Address of Prime Minister Nishimura Masaru to the Nation:
If His Imperial Majesty is the father of Japan, Date Munenari was its eldest son. Through courage, wits, cunning and limitless devotion for His Imperial Majesty he managed to lead this nation, decade after decade, war after war, during times of prosperity and during times of unrest. His legacy lives, and will forever live, in Nippon.

This is also a time to address a certain topic: The proper authority of His Imperial Majesty in the Japanese political system. Factionalism and partisanship is trying to rip our nation. We see violent protests and assassination attempts that raise doubt over the rule of law. In this times, Japanese needs a uniting feature, something they can be guided by. His Imperial Majesty has been for millenia the symbol of Japan. In order to ensure a proper stable society His Imperial Majesty needs to have a greater presence in our politics. While some nanban talk about Separation of Powers, we should embrace Consolidation of Powers, all in the Highest authority - The Emperor.

-----------------------------------

((Private: Privy Council))

The death of Date left many empty spaces behind. One of these spaces was the President of the Privy Council, a title which Date created and held for many years. The Privy Council should pick a new president and therefore nomination period for the President of the Privy Council begins now and will end in Wednesday, 20:00 GMT. I would also nominate myself to the position of President of the Privy Council.

In additions, the past events and most notably the Great Asian Wars had brought many military and political achievements and those great people who greatly served their Empire should be rewarded with participation in Orders.

The following list of titles is advised:

General Yamagata Michitsura

Collar and Grand Cordon of the Order of the Chrysanthemum
Grand Cordon of the Order of the Paulownia Flowers
Order of the Rising Sun, 1st Class
Order of the Sacred Treasure, 1st Class
Order of the Precious Crown, 1st Class
Medals of Honour: Red and Yellow Ribbons

Lieutenant General Kusenagi Miroki

Grand Cordon of the Order of the Paulownia Flowers
Order of the Rising Sun, 2nd Class
Order of the Sacred Treasure, 2nd Class
Medals of Honour: Red Ribbon

Lieutenant General Nobunage Tadakaka

Order of the Rising Sun, 3rd Class
Order of the Sacred Treasure, 3rd Class
Medals of Honour: Red Ribbon

Major General Toyokawa Itakshir

Order of the Precious Crown, 3rd Class

Colonel Ryuu Makino

Order of the Precious Crown, 6th Class

Colonel Asano Yoshinaga

Order of the Precious Crown, 6th Class

Count Nishimura Masaru
Order of the Rising Sun, 2nd Class
Order of the Sacred Treasure, 1st Class
Medals of Hounour: Yellow and Green Ribbon

Count Kusaribe Kinzo

Order of the Sacred Treasure, 3rd Class
Order of the Precious Crown, 2nd Class
Medals of Honour: Yellow

~ Nishimura Masaru, Count of Fukuoka and Prime Minister of Japan

*Meiji stood at the casket of the late Date Munenari, and began to speak to the massive crowd*

My friends, today we celebrate the life of a man who constantly climbed skyward only to be struck down by a thunder that split the clouds and woke the world.

Munenari has been by my side since I was a little boy. He was just an ordinary Daimyo when my grandfather and father reigned over Japan. From what my father told me about him, Munenari was a man who wanted nothing more then to see a modern army, able to repel any western invasion that came upon its shores. He was a quiet man from what my father told me, always kept to himself on Shikoku, only appearing at the Shogun's Roju council to discuss decisions that came before the Shogunate. My father never really thought of him much. Most Daimyo said that he only cared about the army and nothing else. When my father died, and the War of the Dragon began, the one name that everyone told me to get on the side of the Imperial Throne was Date Munenari. The decision to get Munenari with the heirs of Amaterasu was one of the best decisions I have ever made. Munenari served the Imperial Throne diligently, leading our forces into battle and defeating the old Shogunate. Without him, the Shogunate would still be ruling a backwater state.

Munenari was my father-figure, not just Japan's. He was a man who taught me everything I needed to know about politics, government, war, and court affairs. He guided me as I grew and Japan grew into a modern western state. I remember that his skill with modernization guided many of my decisions in the early modern era.

He never shied away from his duties to Japan, whether that be being a Marshall of our Army, a Prince on the Privy Council, or as Prime Minister. He did his duties like no man before or after him had or will.

Most people have compared Munenari to that of a Napoleon of the East, I compare him as the incarnate of the three great leaders of our country in the Sengoku Jidai. He is Oda Nobunaga with his booming command, strong control of his army, and ambitious in his quests of conquest for the greater goo of his people. He is Toyotomi Hideyoshi, for his reforms, his leadership in Japan transitioning from a feudal backwater to a strong modern nation. He is last Tokugawa Ieyasu, with his strength, mercy, and ability to hold tradition firm while dealing with change. He is a man who shall forever be hailed as a legend in the eyes of Japan. A man who has done great things for our country, and whose legacy still holds true to this day. May Amaterasu guide Munenari to a hero's rest.

Reactions:
((Private - Privy Council))
Members of the Privy Council,

I do motion today that we will prorogue this session of the council until after the General Election, for taking such important decisions on succession so soon after the death of our former Lord President may lead to uneducated and eventually unwanted decisions. Thus I motion the former Deputy Prime Minister to cease the nomination period until some time has passed and the General Election has finished.

Count Tanabe Shinzou

((Private: Privy Council))
After feedback from another member of the Private Council about the inconvenient timing of the nomination for President of this establishment, the nomination period is cancelled and will begin again after the general election.