• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Lord Uesugi, newly elected to his chair in the Diet, nods at the words of the other members.

"Yes, I do not oppose an electoral commission. Such a body would completely clarify the results of this election."

I for one find it quite amusing that despite the overwhelming vote cast for the Jiyu Minken Undo in the 1882 election, our good Shogun never once saw the need to investigate the lopsided results of that election, after he claimed victory, and the opposition had such faith in the justness and rightness of His Majesty's democracy that not a single Opposition member of the Diet demanded a review of the clearly questionable results. It saddens me to see that such faith in democracy and the honest judgement of the Emperor's subjects is not shared by the spiteful members of the Date faction in the Diet.

The Honourable Lord Oshiro would be turning in his grave.

-- Count Hosokawa.

Reactions:
My Lord Hosokawa, I am disappointed that you have lowered yourself to the infantile denigration of the great Prince Date. Such puerile discourse is beneath you. You should strive to maintain the dignity of your clan's proud name.

Also, I doubt the late Lord Oshiro would be turning as ashes tend to just sit in a pile. Please choose less Gaijin idioms in future.

Seeing as I still serve as Minister of Justice until the new Prime Minister comes to power, I formally call for an investigation of the election results. The fact that such rumours are widespread cannot be ignored. If such rumours prove false, I will accept their ascension to government with grace.

- Count Ito Masaki of Miyazaki

Fraud in Election!
Mori Cheated!

The recent Election was suppose to be a landmark election. The Freedom Party had finally been able to trounce the National Liberals for the first time in 35 years. It seems that a new regime in Japan was squaring up to create a new type of society. It had been known that the Freedom Party was desperate to win, but recent uncovering by an election committee has found that Mori Takachika was extremely desperate in trying to win the election.

In the last hours of the election, the deadlock breaking districts were late in giving out their polls, the reason why before the investigation was unknown. Most people tended to ignore this as the districts proclaimed the Freedom Party and the CDP winners of those districts, propelling the Opposition Coalition to a majority in the Diet. National Liberals and Kamikaze Party members thought this was weird. All the districts that were late had voted for opposition parties. While the population ignored this, the NLP's last act as government was to investigate the electoral decisions made by the districts in an investigation by the government. Most of the opposition, especially the higher ups in the Freedom Party, saw this as insanity by an aging Date Munenari, who they thought was bitter for loosing the election. They even asked that he be put into a mental institution. Date would not back down, and sent investigators into the late regions.

At first not much evidence appeared that supported the Freedom Party engaged in fraud, until the committee reached Osaka. Osaka had a huge National Liberal population, being home to Kishiwada Yukio, the wealthiest of the Nat-Libs. While searching through the books of registered voters in the region, and who they registered for, the committee found that 70% of voters in Osaka registered as National Liberals or as Kamikaze Party members. This was all fine and good, but there was one small problem...

The Freedom Party had won the majority of seats in Osaka. 30% of the population were registered as opposition supporters, but the Freedom Party had won 60% of the seats from Osaka. This number seemed to appear odd, the opposition supporting population would not have been split up enough for the Freedom Party to win that many seats. The committee found these oddities across the late districts, large NLP supporting districts being won by opposition parties. The search for why continued, but it was clear the committee was on to something big. Eventually, they got a confession, based on the evidence found, by a Freedom Party party boss that they did engage in fraudulent activity.

The election committee pressed on to find who among the ranks of the Freedom Party leadership knew about this. The evidence would probably been seen as patriotic party members doing extreme measures to guarantee party success. Either way, the Freedom Party was not looking as mighty as it did during the election. The committee found more and more people engaging in fraud, and they started to see a climb up the party hierarchy. Eventually they came to Mori Takachika himself, party leader and supposed Prime Minister. The Prime Minister denied everything, but the committee wanted to make sure that Mori was telling the truth. They had no evidence to put Mori on the spot for election fraud, until two days ago that is.

A high-ranking Freedom Party member ((an NPC)) whose name we shall not disclose came to authorities and told them that Mori indeed was involved in the fraud. In fact, he authorized the party bosses to rig the election according to the member. He proceeded to procure letters written by Mori to replace National Liberal votes with Freedom Party votes. The letters were confirmed to be written by Mori himself.

Mori Takachika has been exposed as a cheater. The Emperor will be making a speech about this matter in a few days, and it is unknown if charges will be pressed on Mori.

((Qwerty did rig the election to give himself some extra seats after he confirmed with me (after I made 100% sure he wanted to do it) that is what he wanted to do. Do with him what you please))

Reactions:
((Election Rigging is something I should discuss in detail now that this has come to light

Basically if a party wants to, they can try and rig the election to get more seats. It is a very risky business for sure.

I take into account the party reform (currently secret ballots), and the closeness of the election (small difference leads to changes being less noticeable) and roll to determine the success of the rigging. If they succeed, I roll to determine how much VP they get to add to their party's total VP. Should they fail, or should an investigation as the one into this election come back with fraud, then the consequences are very bad. Usually they entail the election being called illegitimate, the party receving a penalty for the next election, and the persons involved getting arrested and loosing honors and whatnot. BIG RISKS FOR BIG REWARDS!

So yea, Qwerty got away with it at first, but the investigation came back busting him))

Lord Uesugi, much like many others of the Diet, clamoured at the hearings for the Mori Report.

"This is nothing less than a disgusting abuse of the institutions that have made this nation great. I ask that new elections are managed and that Mori face criminal charges for his unbecoming actions!"

This disgrace cannot stand. I, too, call for fresh elections to be held, so that Japan may have the democratic government she deserves.

~ Otuma Makato

Due to the disgusting and criminal electoral fraud perpetrated by Lord Mori and the Jiyudo Party the Farmer-Labor Party officially condemns the Lord Mori and backs out of the Jiyudo-KMT coalition. We cannot and will not work with men who manipulate our democracy to corrupt means. The reign of Date must end but we must not replace him with a more corrupt and power hungry option. The Farmer-Labor Party further calls for a new election to right this historic and disgusting wrong. Further Lord Mori should be arrested and charged with fraud in our criminal courts. In spite of this betrayal, the Farmer-Labor Party will fight for the rights of our constituents and all men of Japan in the Imperial Diet.

- Murayama Kuri, Leader of the Farmer-Labor Party

I refuse to partake in a government that has been elected by fraud, no matter how it benefits me. I shall also call for new elections to be held in the interest of fairness.

((Private Jiyudo))

I call for the Lord Mori to resign from his posts and elections to be held within Jiyudo to elect a new and more ethical leader.

~Sakamoto

I had hoped this was all a misunderstanding, that no one would ever purposely rig the elections and the rumours were false. I had thought perhaps the Freedom Party had finally managed to reorganize itself and present itself as a viable alternative to the current government. Now I see I was wrong. The Freedom Party is and always will be a joke. They accuse Date and the National Liberals of being corrupt and dictatorial, yet they do not shy away from the very methods they blame Date's government for. This offense cannot stand. I stand with the other members of the Diet in calling for a new election. I also recommend that a non-partisan electoral committee be put in place, with members personally appointed by the Emperor, to ensure the election remains fair and no tampering is committed.

- Count Ito Masaki of Miyazaki

Gentlemen, it is true that I did indeed fabricate some results. But I think it was more than justified. It was necessary for Japan.

Ask yourselves. Is 35 years of rule by the same party and same military chieftain democracy? Is the military being full of government supporters democracy? Is ignoring the opposition and disregarding compromise democracy? Is martial law democracy? Any man with some decency would answer no to these.

For too long Lord Date has let the nanban rape our nation and steal Japan's fruits. Date and the NLP have attempted to brainwash the Emperor. I could not let our Emperor be swayed by such unreasonable men. I could not let Date's greed cause more wars like this one. I had to take democracy into my own hands.

I will, however, not yield any sword for I am not as barbarous as Lord Date. I shall retire to my manor until I am needed. I will wait the day the Japanese people are free from Date's tyranny.

- Lord Mori Takachika

Reactions:
It appears we were quite wrong- the man who must see a doctor is not necessarily Lord Date, but rather the Jiyudo's own Lord Mori. It is disappointing that this fault victory was afforded through such underhanded means, that a well-respected man would be willing to betray the love of civic rights that his party's own members have historically held. With that in mind, however, I implore the Emperor to select a new prime-minister, as Lord Date will soon be indisposed and busy leading our war effort. What we need most is a political leader who may hold the reins and maintain stability between all political factions in such dire times. We do not need infighting, which is the only possible future under a continued Date administration.

Dr. Satake Hiroshi

((Privy Council))

Revising my vote for Prime Minister (should we not hold new elections).

Prime Minister: Sakamoto

[Prince]

The actions of Lord Mori are beyond disgusting, he has been blinded by his greed. For almost a decade the Freedom Party has suffered from corruption and infighting, perhaps now they have the opportunity to purge themselves of such filth. It is my belief that a trial should be conducted, that Mori should suffer for his crime. I second the idea of the Honorable Count Ito, I too believe that we need a bipartisan commission to ensure the fairness and legitimacy of future elections.

~ Hajamoto Kiyotaka, Second Marquis of Izu, Member of the Imperial Diet & Man of the People

Mori Killed!
Masahiro Hanged!

Mori Takachika, the corrupt leader of the Freedom Party who would had been charged with fraud, was killed today in a bombing by former Colonel Masahiro Tanaka in Mori's estate in Chogoku. Masahiro had thrown a bomb into the bedroom of Mori while he slept. The resulting explosion killed Mori instantly, bruning much of his body. Masahiro would be captured by Mori-Family guards and sent to the local authorities. Tanaka has already pleaded guilty to the murder of Mori and the murder of the late Satake Yoshihiro a few years prior. It is expected for Tanaka to be hanged for his crimes. With Mori dead, the fate of the Freedom Party remains uncertain.

((Andre successfully killed Qwerty in an assassination attempt, but was caught and executed. You can no longer try to assassinate someone for 10 years Andre))

((Private: Privy Council))

I believe it is understandable and indeed wholly necessary to strip the Mori family of their peerage; the Count besmirched this noble body and the Empire.

Nippon was ruined. So Tanaka did the only thing he could...again.

He had restored the Opposition's honor. But he would have to pay for his actions. As the noose tightened around his neck, he shuddered as he envisioned the future of Nippon.

"I only regret that I had but one life to give for my country. Death to Date and the enemies of Nippon! Long live the Emperor! Bansai!"

Crunch

Masahiro Tanaka was dead.