• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Private - Jiyudo))

1. Mori
2. Sakamoto
3. Chosokame

((Private - Privy Council))

Elevate Asano Hisanori to Marquis: Yes
Elevate Yamagata Michitsura to Baron: No
Put Count Yamamoto Gonnohyoe on the Privy Council: No

[Count]

I do not know who these people that are being nominated for the Privy Council and some of our members wish to devalue our ranks. But I can say that a member of the Privy Council must be on it for a reason. If we wanted this to be a House of Lords then we should've said so.

Reactions:
((Private: Jiyudo))

Vote: Sakamoto

~Sakamoto Ryoma

((Private- Jiyudo))

At the present state no candidate has a majority of votes. Thus, in counting the ballots the voters who voted for the candidates with the lowest amount of first preferences would have their second preferences counted. However, both Lord Sakamoto and Lord Chosokame have the least amount of first preferences (1). Thus, their second preferences would be counted. However, neither of them have included a second preference so their ballots would effectively be wasted. Also, since they both have the least amount of first preferences they would both be eliminated. I would recommend they amend their ballots to include their second and third preferences to solve the former problem. To solve the latter problem I urge all Jiyudo members who have not voted yet to vote.

- Lord Mori

((Private: Jiyudo))

Adding second and third choices to my ballot:

2. Chosokame
3. Mori

~Sakamoto

"Ah, as usual a primary field consisting of three names and no policies. If we do not know what we stand for, how will the Japanese people?"

- Nagane Hidetoshi

Ballot: Abstain until further notice

--

Kirizai Zaibatsu Expansion Initiatives 1888

- Construct a steel mill in Shikoku.
- Expand the Kyushu steel mill.
- Expand the Kanto fabric factory.
- Earmark 20,000 pounds for the construction of railroads in Kyushu.

Final Tally:

Elevate Asano Hisanori to Marquis: 8/0/4
Asano Hisanori (Marschalk) is now a Marquis
Elevate Yamagata Michitsura to Baron: 5/7/0
Failed
Put Count Yamamoto Gonnohyoe on the Privy Council: 5/7/0

Failed

Date (1888-1890): Is Boring a Good Thing?

The peace established by the Date government in the late 1880s has become cemented as the years progressed. Date's government had lowered the militancy of the population dramatically. With the rise of industry, the fall of rebellious thoughts, and the expansion of influence over-seas, this new era of peace showed that the NLP can govern just as well in peace-time then in war-time.

Industry received a huge kick in the late 1880s. The fall of the rebellious groups that had been plaguing Japan for the last few years allowed industrialists to expand their businesses to new heights. The culmination of new steam engines, inorganic chemicals, and new commerce methods allowed industrialists to reap the rewards of their business. Subsidies from the government kept average total cost low. Japan though was entering an oligopoly. With three major industrialists providing many products to the people, the industrial sector of Japan was starting to become an oligopoly. With that, the industrialists were now price-makers instead of price-takers. The price of goods skyrocketed while output remained low. The flaw with monopolies and oligopolies was that the industry was starting to become less efficient in the long run. The people were also starting to get upset with the rise of prices and the lack of quantity among the items that they buy. Yet the industry continued to chug along as the three major industrialists continued to make economic profits and get wealthier and wealthier. The lack of rebellion also had an impact not only on the industry, but also on the people of Japan.

u2DAhI4.jpg

(A new fabric factory)

Militancy in Japan had dropped like a rock during the course of the decade. At one point, most people were up in arms over the government and its jingo-like policies, especially during the Great Asian War. Martial law did a lot to cut this in half, but the anger of the people of Japan was still high following the end of martial law. The people though have since cooled their heads, and have begun to stabilize. Kusaribe Kinzo saw this, and decided to address the Diet one day. "We have proven that the war-hawks can govern just as well in peace then in times of strife and war!". His speech garnered much applause from the Diet, and he even got a standing ovation from Freedom Party members. It seemed that the NLP was only getting stronger as the years progressed. The people were starting to turn towards the NLP and its leader for guidance. It reached the point that a member of the Diet suggested having Date Munenari be made a modern Shogun, or a Generalissimo. Emperor Meiji quickly shut that down before it even reached the Diet. The Diet though had other concerns, especially when it came to foreign affairs.

Nzr6svL.jpg

(Kusaribe addressing the Diet)

Qinghai was a sub-state of the Empire of China and the Qing dynasty. It had been eyed by Japan for years based on one thing, natural resources. Qinghai was filled with Coal and Lumber, resources heavily depended upon by the Japanese industrial machine. The Japanese had been trying to garner influence in Qinghai because of this, but were shut down by the Qing Empire, and the United States. American businessmen had for years rooted themselves in Qinghai, and constantly butted heads against Japanese interests. Japan tried for years to get the US out of Qinghai, and finally succeeded in 1889. Qinghai soon replaced all American businesses with Japanese businesses. Kusaribe Kinzo had funds poured into Qinghai for the extraction, transportation, and shipping of coal and lumber from Qinghai. The industrial sector received a healthy kick from these new resources. With Qinghai now under the hand of Japan, perhaps Japan can expand itself into the other nations of China, and perhaps into the royal court of the Qing itself?

Jdy8YCL.jpg

(Qinghai coal mine)

In all, as the new decade dawned, Japan had an unprecedented time of peace and prosperity. The NLP government had shown its ability to govern in peace and in war. With the boost to the Japanese industry, the fall of militancy in the population, and the expanding hand of Japanese influence across Asia, the Japanese people were proud in themselves for this new era. Perhaps this prestige can be used to better Japan even further?

---------------------------
Player Actions Needed: You have one day to propose acts, bills, and whatever you wish.

Last edited:
Screenshots

Industrial Wealth:

mrlifeless:
Cash: 1475833
Earned: 200987
Debt: 0

Keinwyn:
Cash: 1303075
Earned: 394109

Scrapknight:
Cash: 126583
Earned: 90083

Yen per VP is now priced at about 115000 Yen per point of VP

Last edited:
Lord Mori looks around to see his fellow party members applauding some N'AP member.

Why are we clapping for the Government? If we're going to do that we might as well join them.

((Private - Jiyudo))

Ballot:

1. Sakamoto ((Zenphoneix))
2. Mori ((Qwerty7))
3. Chosokame ((Luftwater))

As the leaves of trees,
Fall to the wayside calmly,
So will I return,
From the dust which I began,
And rejoin my ancestors

Death Poem of Uesugi Narinori, C.1889

--

Lord Uesugi Narinori, 12th Lord Uesugi & 1st Marquis Niigata

1820 - 1889

Mochinori_Uesugi.jpg
Name: 上杉 茂憲 | Marquis Uesugi Mochinori of Niigata, 13th Lord of Clan Uesugi, 2nd Marquis Niigata
Born: 15 April, 1844 (15 March, Tempō 14)
Clan: Uesugi
Specialty: Politician
Province: Niigata Domain

Bio: Uesugi Mochinori was born the 15th of April, 1844. Son of Daimyo Uesugi Narinori, he was long treated to the benefits of having access to the imperial court. For example in 1871 he moved to Edo, and then went abroad to England to study. Later, in May 1881, he became the second governor of Okinawa Prefecture. Upon becoming governor, he traveled the prefecture and oversaw a survey of conditions and lifestyle in the islands. He petitioned the Meiji government for permission and aid to effect a number of reforms, but was denied. However, under Mochinori's administration, a great many elementary schools were founded, along with a system by which the prefectural government funded students to study in Edo, and variety of other educational programs.

He was replaced as governor of Okinawa in 1883, when he returned to Edo to take care of his ailing father. His journals, of which he kept for the extent of his time as the Marquis of Niigata, recounts how his father, in the last month, grew increasingly unstable. It is recorded how he would often ask for the shogun, and would continually mix the late Lord Satake and Lord Date.

With the death of his father, Mochinori was elevated to his late father's seat and leadership in the Unity and Honour Party. However how Mochinori, a noted reformist of the domestic variety, would cope with this politiking of the capitol is yet to be seen.

Titles:

Governor of Okinawa ~ 1881 - 1883
Head of the Unity and Honour Diet Party ~ 1889 - Present
Marquis of Niigata ~ 1889 - Present
Lord Uesugi ~ 1889 - Present

((Private))

My Lord Prince Date

I wish to express my gratitude for your nomination of your humble servant to join the Privy Council. It is regrettable that the members of the Council loyal to the Jiyudo party placed their partisan interests ahead of the good of the Nation in order to claim a petty victory over your esteemed self. However, I appreciate the efforts which you made on my behalf.

I hope that I may be of greater service to yourself, the LNP and the Empire in the years ahead as I have a desire for a greater future for Japan than even now stands before us.

Your loyal servant

Yamamoto Gonnohyoe
Count of Nagasaki

I extend my sincerest condolences to the family of the late Marquis Uesugi, Nippon may never see a Lord so honourable and upright again.

---​

Kusaribe nocked the arrow and slowly drew back the string.

He was still mildly bemused at the show of approval his speech had garnered from the opposition. Nevertheless, it was fact that these last few years had been good for Nippon; she was prospering.

He exhaled and released the arrow.

It had been good for him personally too, of course. The new found prestige associated with the Empire had lent a deal of respect to Japanese business abroad; getting good deals was considerably easier when the perceived might of the nation stood behind you.

The arrow struck home with a satisfying thump, shy of the centre.

Much like the arrow, Nippon's trajectory was straight and true. There was however much to improve.
Whilst no foreign power could now base a navy out of Manila, the rest of the Philippines remained outside Japanese control. Russia still spread her poisonous influence far beyond her rightful sphere. Recent diplomatic successes in Quinghai were fantastic, but local methods were backwards and slow, transport abysmal and politics variable.

Kusaribe nocked a second arrow.

Displeased at the rumblings of new taxes from the government in Kyoto, Nagane gets some of his lobbyist friends to introduce the following:

Proper Industrial and Personal Taxation Act

1) The introduction of a tax specifically levied upon corporate entities is hereby declared illegal.
2) The government shall be obliged not to raise the nominal tax burden upon any citizen to a value greater than 75%.
3) If provision 2 is violated, the government will be obliged to refund all excess tax intake to the affected citizenry.

Player Actions Needed: Please Vote on the Proper Industrial and Personal Taxation Act.

Sample Ballot:

Proper Industrial and Personal Taxation Act: Yes/No/Abstain

[Political Bonus]
[Economic Bonus]
[Bonus]

Political Bonuses:
Michaelangelo: +1
EmperorBasilius: +2

Economic VP is 115K per VP. Voting ends Thursday at 9:00 PM EST or Friday at 1:00 AM GMT