• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Military Provision and Aid Act of 1887**: No
State Hospital Act of 1887: Yes
Military Dinity Act of 1887: Yes
Spiritual Welfare of the Empire Act: No
Budget: Yes

(Militarist)
(No Bonus)

From the Ministry of Commerce

The Ministry notes the continued strong performance of our industries in the Home Islands. The Ministry would like the Government to explore whether our possessions in Korea and Luzon are ready for possible expansion to industrial production given the limited land left in Japan to build new factories. ((Is the colony flag in the Diplomacy box as sign that we can upgrade Korea or Luzon to states so that we can start building factories there?))

The Ministry also asks that the Foreign Ministry consider promoting friendship with Manchuria, to move them out of the Russian control, and possibly to allow our industrialists to access their vast natural resources which we need to maintain the fire of industry.

The Ministry applauds the Minister for the Interior in his promotion of workers for the factories, and we implore the various corporations to consider expansion of their existing works to take advantage of the labour coming in from the farms to the cities.

In return, the Ministry asks the Finance Ministry to maintain subsidies for all of our factories as the Government's guarantee and vote of confidence in our capitalists. Hopefully, the industrials classes will realise that the NLP is the party they should support for ongoing profits and jobs.

Finally, to the Minister of War, I note that in my previous role as Minister for the Interior, I undertook a programme to promote enlistments to bolster our army during its conflict with foes without and within Japan. As a result, we now possess the capacity to raise a further 36 brigades. Rather than place a strain on our industry with a mass arming, may I humbly suggest a first stage of filling out all existing Corps to a new standing Order of Battle of 39,000 men, from the current 27,000, by adding 2 Rifle and 2 Artillery brigades per Corps, which plays to the strengths of our machine gun and breech loading howitzer companies. This would involve raising a total of 36 brigades. I would also suggest reviewing our Transport fleet to ensure it has a capacity to carry a Corps at any one time, by having at least 13 Steam Transports. Over time, we can look to raise a new marine Corps, the Special Naval Landing Force, for a rapid amphibious force for our Pacific possessions.

Yamamoto Gonnohyoe
Minister for Commerce
Count of Nagasaki

The Office of HMs Secretary for Foreign Affairs would continue its long-term programs of building friendly relationships with Germany and Qinghai, seeking to conclude a treaty of common market with the latter. It would also take actions as suggested by the Imperial Secretary for Commerce regarding Manchuria.

- General Asano Hisanori, Count of Hiroshima
Minister for Foreign Affairs, Deputy Chief of General Staff and Governor-General of Korea

((Continue sphering Qinghai. Continue working on improving relationships with Germany, improve relationships with Manchuria until they hit friendly, then remove them from Russian sphere and sphere them ourselves))

Military Provision and Aid Act of 1887**: Nay
State Hospital Act of 1887: Yes
Military Dignity Act of 1887: Yes
Spiritual Welfare of the Empire Act: Abstain
Budget: Yes

[Militarist]
[No bonus]

Honours to Nobunage: Yes

[Count

((Private - Privy Council))

Lord Uesugi, looking noticeably weakened by age, makes a rare appearance and rarer address to the Privy Council.

Lords of this council, I am getting old. Soon, the last leaf of my tree shall fall and my son shall be taking my place. However, until that day, I wish to make my days worthwhile.

To which I am making this address. I will be brief, I have served three Emperors, three Shoguns, and seen much death and bloodshed. We all remember the days where man stood against man and the capital was engulfed in flame. It seems that the peace of my youth will be forgotten upon my death. However, give the recent events, I realised something.

I wish to address the August Marshal Date. A man who has done more for the Empire since the the winds of divine fury had sent back the Mongol hordes. It is he that wreaths his own brow and bears his own breast to an endless stream of medals. It is he that populates this Empire's bodies with brave men whom had survived death's door to be crowned with positions of honour and distinction. It is he that saved Japan from wars of his own making.

To which I motion that we accept what has happened and honour Date with the position of Shogun. He has proven himself to be the arbiter of the Emperor's Will, and his greatest hand.

((Private - Privy Council))

Lord Uesugi, looking noticeably weakened by age, makes a rare appearance and rarer address to the Privy Council.

Lords of this council, I am getting old. Soon, the last leaf of my tree shall fall and my son shall be taking my place. However, until that day, I wish to make my days worthwhile.

To which I am making this address. I will be brief, I have served three Emperors, three Shoguns, and seen much death and bloodshed. We all remember the days where man stood against man and the capital was engulfed in flame. It seems that the peace of my youth will be forgotten upon my death. However, give the recent events, I realised something.

I wish to address the August Marshal Date. A man who has done more for the Empire since the the winds of divine fury had sent back the Mongol hordes. It is he that wreaths his own brow and bears his own breast to an endless stream of medals. It is he that populates this Empire's bodies with brave men whom had survived death's door to be crowned with positions of honour and distinction. It is he that saved Japan from wars of his own making.

To which I motion that we accept what has happened and honour Date with the position of Shogun. He has proven himself to be the arbiter of the Emperor's Will, and his greatest hand.
((lolk))

Reactions:
Military Provision and Aid Act of 1887**:No
State Hospital Act of 1887:Yes
Military Dinity Act of 1887:Yes
Spiritual Welfare of the Empire Act:No
Budget:Yes

[Economist]

From the Ministry of Commerce

The Ministry notes the continued strong performance of our industries in the Home Islands. The Ministry would like the Government to explore whether our possessions in Korea and Luzon are ready for possible expansion to industrial production given the limited land left in Japan to build new factories. ((Is the colony flag in the Diplomacy box as sign that we can upgrade Korea or Luzon to states so that we can start building factories there?))

It is my experience - from my dealings in the peninsular's natural resources and my exploration of rail construction - that the average Korean lacks the discipline and due diligence of their Japanese counterpart. When presented with the opportunity to better themselves through exertion it seems to be their national disposition to shy away rather than seize the opportunity.
In addition, the recent, unprovoked rebellion against His Imperial Majesty in the peninsular demonstrates a flagrant disregard for authority. Perhaps it is also indicative of a greater national trend for disobedience. I shudder to think what would happen if we attempted to open factories in such an environment.
The empire struggles to provide enough raw materials for the factories at home, and I do not see this changing in the immediate future. Whilst it is true that we will soon wrench some of the Chinese regions out of the insidious nanban grasp, this should be enough to sustain home growth only. Perhaps in the future, when resources are more abundant and the Chosen have been properly re-educated, it would be opportune to consider properly industrialising the peninsular. At this time however, I would oppose such measures.

---​

Kusaribe Zaibatsu Activity '87

Continue investment in Nippon Rail for the expansion of rail in the wider Japanese Empire, with priority on the home isles.
Investment of ¥60k

Should it be possible, Nippon Rail shall investigate commercial ventures in Manchuria with a preliminary investment of ¥20k from Kusaribe Zaibatsu.

Fundraising: -¥125,216

Either:
¥833,984 or ¥813,984 remaining ((depending on Manchuria))

Final Tally:

Military Provision and Aid Act of 1887**: 5/6/16
Failed
State Hospital Act of 1887: 23/0/6
Passed
Military Dignity Act of 1887: 20/3/6
Passed
Spiritual Welfare of the Empire Act: 2/9/16
Failed
Budget: 20/6/1

Passed

((Private))

Ryoma knocked on the door of his house. He had just returned from the Korean orphanage and wanted to discuss the progress with his father.
There was no answer. Normally his wife and children would be home, but his sons and daughters were off at the university and his wife was out shopping. His father never hired any servants. He was perfectly capable of doing everything on his own.
Ryoma knocked again. "Hello?"
Still no answer.
Ryoma started getting nervous. He knocked harder. "HELLO?!"
Finally he decided to drop the formalities and pulled out his key. He quickly unlocked the door and rushed inside. All of the rooms in the small house were empty, except one--his father's bedroom.
Sakamoto Naotari lay on his bed, almost as if he was sleeping. He lay very still--in fact, too still.
"FATHER!" Ryoma shouted.
The old war hero and politician did not move.
Ryoma felt for a pulse. There was none. His father's body was cold.
"No, no, no..." he muttered, breaking into tears.

((Public))
Sakamoto Naotari, the man who had defeated the Shogun's armies and led the Emperor to victory in the Boshin War, was dead.

640px-Kiky%C5%8D_mon.svg.png

c8f36cb4dda9108cbd58b4c2f8fa1fd1.jpg

Name: 坂本 龍馬 | Sakamoto Ryoma
Born: 1 January 1836 (~50)
Title(s): Prince of Kanto
Party Affiliation: Freedom Party
Class: Politician

Bio:

Sakamoto Ryoma was born in 1836 in Shikoku to a minor samurai, Sakamoto Naotari. As his father rose through the ranks and eventually led the Imperial armies to victory in the Boshin War, Ryoma was sent to Prussia (later Germany) to study Western ideas; he is proficient in German, French, English, Korean, Chinese, and Japanese. Despite his Western education, he still holds traditional Japanese culture in high regard, seeking to establish a balance between Western technology and Japanese traditions. He was among the founding fathers of the Loyalist Association and one of the first to join the Freedom Party. Ryoma is against war with any fellow Asians, as like his father he believes that doing so would make Japan lose its way and become like the Europeans it sought to defeat and expel. This pacifism does not apply to wars with European powers, though he prefers that Japan only wage war in self-defense or to protect other Asians. Unlike his fellow Japanese, he secretly sympathizes with the plight of the Koreans.
Ryoma lives in the shadow of his father, the great war hero. Many expected him to go into the military, as he came from a military family, but after a brief stint in the Navy he decided to take up politics like his father. With the passing of his father, the rest of Japan expects much of Ryoma. Only time will tell if he can become the statesman Naotari was...

((Private- Jiyudo Party))

I suggest all the minds of the party gather together to draft a constitution for the party.

((Join #Jiyudo on coldfront if you wish to work on the constitution. I'll be getting a google doc up soon that I'll edit the link in.))

Date (1887-Summer of 1888): Peace at Last

Date Munenari, no surprise to many, won the election and was once again selected to lead the country as Prime Minister. Date has been in power for over ten years, and many felt that he has overstayed his welcome. Many also felt uncomfortable with his suddenness to revert to martial law to quell a simple uprising. Yet, he was selected by the Emperor to lead the government and set out on a path to restore stability to Japan. With the fall of the Jacobins and Reactionaries, all that was needed was to beat out the Korean rebels.

Asano Hisanori would assign Yamagata Michitsura, an elderly general in the Imperial Army, to one of his sub-armies in Korea to help fight the rebels. Alongside of Asano, Yamagata would help break the Korean rebels. At the end of the year, all Korean nationalists had laid down their arms and surrendered. Yamagata was praised for his efficiency, but many critiqued his aggressive behavior, and his cruelty to prisoners. Regardless, Yamagata would swiftly rise through the ranks of the Imperial Army for his efforts to beat back the rebels, and he and Hisanori would both be awarded by the Emperor for their efforts.

SKvD5hv.jpg

(Korean Rebels)

In Japan the situation was not as stable as it seemed. Reactionary and Jacobin rebels both rose up again. This time though, the Imperial Army was ready. New artillery, elite units, and elite cavalry, were deployed and made quick work of the rebels. Date Munenari would appoint Nobunage Tadakaka to help him deal with the rebels following the death of Mizushima Ito. The rebels were cut down quickly and did not have a chance to occupy large swaths of the country. By the summer of 1888, the rebels were all destroyed, and Japan was once again at peace. Date Munenari finally had stability, and for once the nation was not at war. Militancy overall fell, and the people were content. It seemed that Japan had returned to a state of normality, and with it, a chance to further expand itself as an industrial power. Japan had its cake, and actually had a time to eat it, many historians agree.

c4qGVx3.jpg

(Soldiers enforcing the peace)

In foreign affairs, problems arose. Asano Hisanori, Minister of Foreign Affaris, was bogged down in Qinghai, a vassal of the Qing Empire. Asano had tried to undermine American influence in the region for years. Qinghai had huge quantities of coal and natural resources, resources that would have tremendously helped the development of Japanese industry. American capitalists beat them to it, and had already begun to invest heavily in the region. The ruling family of Qinghai was close to the United States. Asano kept getting shut down every time he tried to make a deal with Qinghai. Americans had the upper hand, and even expelled the diplomats from Qinghai. Asano had success though. He boosted relations with the United Kingdom and Germany. He also helped solve a colonial crisis, though not in a way that pleased the British. The Japanese claimed an area of land in a British colony, much to the dismay of the British.

In all, Japan was at peace, its people were happy, and its country was stable. Much could be done in this time, but for now, the government deserved a time off to pat itself on the back for all it had done over the past decade. It was a time of celebration for the NLP, and the Freedom Party since Japan had a break in warfare. But for how long this peace can last is unknown...

-------------------------------------------
Player Actions Needed: In respect to Thanksgiving, and to the fact I feel family and real-life relations should be exemplified over online relations, Under the Rising Sun shall be taking a hiatus for the week in celebration of Thanksgiving. If you are an American, enjoy the time off to spend it with family and loved ones while stuffing your face, and if you are not American, well do what you normally do...

UtRS shall resume Saturday the 28th, but for now, if you wish, you may post bills, acts, and other things. Otherwise, I wish you all a happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited:
Reactions:
Screenshots

Industrial Wealth:

mrlifeless:
Cash: 1274846
Earned: 188012
Debt: 0

Keinwyn:
Cash: 970156
Earned: 138956
Debt: 0