• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Sorry King, I draw the line at "doing things that make people leave" ))

((Ooh, here's a useful trick...

I hereby threaten to leave this AAR unless Satake and allies man up, dissolve their little Monster Raving Ego Party and accept Unryu as leader until the next JMU party primary. :p))

Reactions:
((Ooh, here's a useful trick...

I hereby threaten to leave this AAR unless Satake and allies man up, dissolve their little Monster Raving Ego Party and accept Unryu as leader until the next JMU party primary. :p))

((Yea that's just player on player rage, what happened there was something game-changing. Its frowned upon for players to leave based on arguments with current players))

Reactions:
((Private))

Tanaka did not care anymore. He was fed up.

The opposition was impotent and felled once again by Satake's ego. Date would win again and his clique would rule Nippon till the end of the time. The Shogunate had risen again and the emperor was still a puppet.

Perhaps everything Tanaka believed in was wrong. What good was advocating for peace when no one cared? The violent men ruled the world and there was nothing to stop them. Maybe Date was right all along.

He would make his stand here, then, and embrace the doctrine of violence that taken hold of Nippon. It would not change anything in the long run but it would right one wrong in this world full of injustice. His political and military careers did not amount to much but this would accomplish something.

Tanaka Masahiro stood right next to Satake's estate, out of view of his guards. He gripped the bomb and flung it toward the manor.

"Sayonara, Satake!" he yelled. He prayed that it would work and the bastard would die. If not, then at least his house would burn down.

Then he ran as fast as he could.

((Trying to assassinate Satake))

((Trying to assassinate Satake))

Satake Yoshizane Killed in Blast!

The famed opposition leader and former head of the Freedom Party was killed in a fiery explosion yesterday in his home in northern Tohuku. Satake Yoshizane, the son of famous Shogunate Daimyo Satake Yoshinobu, was relaxing at home when a fiery explosion ripped through his parlor and killed him. He was found with over 60% burns on his body, and almsot disfigured to the point that he was unrecognizable. When guards rushed to find the assaliant, they found no one. Many suspect that it was a Freedom Party member fed up with the fact that Satake's lack of voting Freedom Party is causing them to slump in the electoral polls. Others theorize it was a conservative assassin who wanted to kill the former opposition head. Regardless of what happened, Satake Yoshizane is dead, and with the grounds of the opposition already on rocky footing, who knows what his death will bring...

((Firehound15, Andre killed you and got away.))

The assassination of our Chief Justice is unacceptable, and an immense tragedy; I call upon a full investigation to be commenced until we find the perpetrator, or perpetrators, behind this heinous act. I further wish to send my condolences to his family, and personally offer my support in these trying times.

~ Marshal Prince Date Munenari, Prime Minister of Japan, etc.

I resign from the Freedom Party leadership and designate Prince Sakamoto as my successor. I don't know who killed the Marquis but I knew my victory was legitimate, I didn't want it to be justified like this.
- Raizo

Last edited:
((Private))

"Well that was one way for Satake to shut up," Hideo Nomo said as he read the morning paper.

"It was good someone stopped him for the good of the party and the good of Nippon," Tanaka said to his friend.

"Yes, but it is a shame it had to end so violently. What is Nippon coming to?"

Tanaka twisted his hands uncomfortably.

"I do not know, my friend. All our traditions are burning down."

Reactions:
Another terrorist attack on our democracy. I give my official condolations to the family of Lord Satake Yoshizane and I demand an investigation to be carried out to find the perpetrator and give him justice.

Iroh Hirotaka

((Will you count FH vote?))

((Private))

Ryoma stormed into Sakamoto's study again.
"My son, what is it?" said Sakamoto.
Ryoma threw another newspaper on his father's desk. "Front page, there's good news and bad news," he said.
Sakamoto glanced at the paper. "So Satake is dead now, and I'm the leader of the Jiyudo," he muttered, "Well that escalated quickly."
"At least he didn't die in a manure explosion," Ryoma said, "You know how those plots end up."
"But I don't want people to think I was the killer so that I could seize the party leadership! I'm an old man now!"
"Father, just take the leadership and issue a statement," Ryoma said, "When you become Prime Minister you can sort things out (and purge all of the NLP legislation)."
"True," said Sakamoto, "(Then we won't need that orphanage anymore.) Assuming I don't die before the end of this blasted election..."

((Public))

I offer my condolences to the Satake family. As the new leader of the Freedom Party, the Freedom Party officially condemns this affront to our nation and will take all measures (within reason) to bring the perpetrator to justice.

~Prince Sakamoto Naotari, Chairman of Jiyudo

Reactions:
Party: NLP
(Militarist)
(No bonus)

Last edited:
Final Tally (Regionalism and Weight Added):

Chugoku: National Liberals - 35 Seats
Tohuku: National Liberals - 14 Seats, Freedom Party - 24 Seats, Independents - 1 Seat
Shikoku: National Liberals - 19 Seats
Kansai: National Liberals - 49 Seats, Radical Progress Party - 9 Seats, Kamikaze Party - 62 Seats,
Kanto: National Liberals - 35 Seats, Freedom Party - 32 Seats, Kamikaze Party - 43 Seats
Kyushu: National Liberals - 22 Seats, Freedom Party - 37 Seats.
Chubu: National Liberals - 31 Seats, Freedom Party - 53 Seats, Independents - 1 Seat
Hokkaido: National Liberals - 12 Seats

Total:
National Liberals - 212 Seats (45%), Kamikaze Party - 105 Seats (22%), Freedom Party - 147 Seats (31%), Radical Progress Party - 9 Seats (2%), Independents - 2 Seats.

((Private: Jiyudo))

The disastrous pursuit of a majority has brought us from being the largest party of Japan, the party of the people, to barely being larger than the KAP. It is not my place to lecture other parties, but I hope for the sake of Japan that the RPP will return to Kyushu, and we should return to our previous strategy. I regret listening to those who claimed we could seize a majority in a single election's worth of time.

Also, now that I am no longer leader, I can propose a party-wide vote without it smacking of strongman tactics. Should we disallow members who did not vote for the party in an election to vote or run in the primary for the next election?

Election of 1887

It should had been a shoe-in for the opposition.

The Freedom Party had the upper hand. Martial Law, while not the fault of the NLP, was not popular. Many Japanese felt that Munenari's crackdowns on the people caused the people to distrust Date to further lead the government should the National Liberals continue to win. To add insult to injury, former NLP party man and pro-Date man Mizushima Ito tried to kill the Emperor. This move bomb-shelled popularity with the NLP. While there were no connections between the two, many felt that Mizushima was exercising an NLP belief, and blamed the ideology of the NLP for almost killing the Emperor. The Katashi Plot also hurt the reputation of the Kamikaze Party.The opposition was gleefully waiting to see the NLP and KAP fall apart during the election. But the collapse never came. Date Munenari held his party together, and no one dared challenge the might of the Prince of Shikoku. That is safe to say, the Freedom Party did not fair better.

As soon as the primaries for the FP leadership closed the ground startd to come out from underneath the opposition. Unryu Raizo won in a three-way race, but Satake Yoshizane argued that Raizo should have a run-off on the logic that Raizo did not have an absolute majority backing for his leadership. Raizo denied this stating that he won the three-way race fair and square. Satake Yoshizane then left the Freedom Party, and along with Uesugi Narinori (who left due to the FP's abandonment of a pacifist policy), reformed the Unity and Honor Party. Unryu Raizo was furious. The Satake family would have greatly helped the chances of the Freedom Party in the election should they had come together and work things out. However, as one statesmen stated, "Raizo is an unmovable force, and Satake is an unstoppable object, they can never push each other to do what they want." Satake Yoshizane though would be murdered in an explosion. Raizo, ashamed that would serve as his "justification for leadership", resigned, and leadership passed on to Sakamoto Naotari, who was reaching the ripe old age of 90 years old.

The Radical Progress Party also went through drastic change. They adopted the idea of a planned economy to help remove monoplies from the Japanese industry, and would allow smaller firms to run unopposed. The RPP argued against an "oligopoly of the Japanese industrial sector", and stated that industry belongs to all, not just a few large firms. This prospect hit home better with many constituents, and the RPP for once actually started climbing in the number of seats from 1 to 9.

In the end, with the Freedom Party falling apart, the people decided that it was "either a stabilized hell, or an unstable heaven." and voted for the National Liberals due to the condition the FP was in. The NLP won a huge victory against the FP, taking in more then 60% of the seats with their KAP partners. Once again, the NLP has secured a majority, and once again, Date Munenari was posed to be seated as Prime Minister of Japan.

awurboa.png

-------------------------------
Player Actions Needed: Privy Council (Riccardo, Zen, Marschalk, Dadarian, and now Qwerty since he was appointed to it and is now back in action), please vote on who you want to be Prime Minister. You will take a MIL hit though if that person is not Date, and a larger MIL hit if that person is not in the NLP-KAP coalition

Sample Ballot:

((For Privy Council Only))

Prime Minister of Japan: [Insert Name Here]/Abstain

[Nobility Rank]

Last edited:
I support Prince Date Munenari for Prime Minister of Japan

~ Prince Date Munenari

[Prince (Date Munenari)]

Reactions:
186px-Sanetomi_Sanjo_formal_cropped.jpg

Rikugun-Taisa Count Tanabe Shinzō in 1877

Name: Tanabe Shinzō, 2nd Count of Wayakama
Born: September 8th, 1848 (39)
Titles: Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister (since 1893), Ambassador-at-Large (1891-1893), Ambassador to the German Empire (1887-1893), Count of Wayakama (since 1873), Member of the Imperial Diet for Wayakama (since 1877), Leader of the Onken-ha-shin (since 1879), Rikugun-Taisa in the Imperial Japanese Army (1873-1877, 1882-1886)
Party Affiliation: National Liberal Party
Speciality: Politician
Bio:

Tanabe Shinzō was born and raised as with the fruits of Japans' modernization, enjoying the best education in both martial and scientific matters that Japan had to offer, by his father, Rikugun Taishō Tanabe Shinzō, Last Lord of the Tanabe Domain, First Count of Wayakama, Minister of Finance and Commerce in various cabinets and Head Elder of Kansai. His father, Lord Tanabe, was a very demanding man, for Tanabe Shinzō was his only son and therefore chosen for and tasked with the responsibility to protect the legacy of the National Liberal Party and the Tanabe family in the every turbulent age. After finishing his general education, Tanabe Shinzō joined the Imperial Japanese Officers Academy as a prospective Artillery Officer in the Imperial Japanese Army, finishing his studies in 1871, after which he become Artillery Captain in the First Corps, which he would remain until 1873, when, together with, and as modern historians claim because of, inheriting the title of Count of Wayakama from his father, he was promoted to Colonel in the Imperial Japanese Army and became an important strategic advisor to Marshal Prince Date during his invasion of Korea. In said war, he was recognized by many of his superiors for getting the job no matter the cost, even after the war had ended and the Korean people needed to be disciplined. Lord Tanabe would resign from active service in 1877, after being asked to contest the seat of Wayakama, which, after the death of his father, had become a Freedom Party seat, in the 1877 General Election, after winning convincingly from the Freedom Party incumbent, Lord Tanabe would see his influence increase steadily in the Diet, becoming the leader of a 73 MP strong faction, aptly named the Moderates or Onken-ha-shin, which spoke in favour of limited Asian Expansion, a pragmatic, albeit still quite conservative, stance on reform and a strong and independent Japanese Industry, be it from foreign investors or government regulation. Lord Tanabe and the Moderates were proponents of Date's foreign policy and voted for many of the Government's measures during the Great Asian Wars. When the reservists were called to arms by the government, Lord Tanabe, albeit exempted from this call by both his title and his position as Member of the Imperial Diet, rejoined the Imperial Japanese Army as Artillery officer after a string of defeats at the hands of the Europeans nearly incapacitated the Japanese Armed Forces, after which he would serve in Korea during the war, where he and his artillery forces played a vital role in maintaining the front during the countless Russian offensives against the lines. After again resigning from active service in the Imperial Japanese Armed Forces, Lord Tanabe stood again in the 1887 General Election, in which he and his Moderates, who had become increasingly influential in National Liberal party politics after the murder attempt on the Emperor by Mizushima Ito, a man from the more reactionary elements of the party, won a large share of the vote and NLP seats. With the victory of both his Moderates and the NLP-KAP coalition, Lord Tanabe hopes for the return of the Date Government and with it a more stable and orderly Japan.

Titles:
The Hon. Lord Tanabe
MD, His Imperial Majesty's Ambassador to the German Empire, 2nd Count of Wayakama, Leader of the New Moderates (1887-1891)
The Rt. Hon. Lord Tanabe
MD PC, His Imperial Majesty's Ambassador-at-Large, 2nd Count of Wayakama, Leader of the New Moderates (1891-1893)
The Rt. Hon. Lord Tanabe
MD PC, His Imperial Majesty's Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs, Second Count of Wayakama, Leader of the New Moderates (since 1893)

((Well, this is a bio, I will return - mostly due to a combination of boredom and procrastination - as a Tanabe Lord, hopefully I will take a more active role in this game than my previous character))

Last edited:
140px-Alex_K_Hiroshima_Asano_%28color%29.svg.png

3nobuyoshi_oda_mcrop.jpg

Name:
Asano Naritaka, Lord of Clan Asano, 10th Daimyo of Hiroshima
Born: 20 September 1813
Clan: Asano
Specialty: Daimyo
Province: Hiroshima Domain (広島藩Hiroshima-han)

The Asano are descendants of the Emperor Seiwa (850-880), of Minamoto no Yorimitsu (944-1021), and are a branch of the Toki family. Minamoto no Mitsunobu, descended from Yorimitsu in the 4th generation, settled at Toki (Mino) and took the name of that place. The Toki were hereditary shugo (Governors) of Mino province until the 16th century. Wealthy and influentual within the region, they control nearly half a million koku of land property, including the whole Aki province and parts of the neighbouring Bingo province.

Born in the Hiroshima Castle, Asano Naritaka was always a person of brave and independent spirit. His father was often away and serving within the governmental councils and holding the office of shisha bugyo (the minister of shrines and temples). The young heir was educated by loyal samurai retainers and advisors of the clan. From his earliest childhood he has understood the importance the values of Bushido Code, of the loyalty to the Emperor and honorable behavior in all circumstances. A great lover of history,he quickly learned of the the story of Fourty-Seven Ronin, in which one of his bloodline participated, and with a beating heart, read aloud the death poem this hapless ancestor, Asano Nagahiro, had written before comitting seppuku.

「風さそふ花よりも / なほ我はまた / 春の名残を / いかにやとせん」
"kaze sasofu hana yori mo / naho ware ha mata / haru no nagori wo / ika ni yatosen."

"More than the cherry blossoms,
Inviting a wind to blow them away,
I am wondering what to do,
With the remaining springtime."

Gradually he became a great lover of poetry and started writing haiku. However, he did not limit himself to bookish knowledge. Avidly practicing with the sword, he imagined the battles of the future he would win. Lurking away from the castle, he conversed with strange white-haired foreigners in his port city - and then went to sea on a boat, eagerly battling the weather and winds...

When his father died, Naritaka was serving in military offices. Now he is eager to do his best to serve Japan and bring new glory to his clan. By his views he is a supporter of Japanese traditional ways - but believes that certain Western technical approaches may be useful for the Empire.
I assume this is a wikipedia link