• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((I've been following for a while, and I think I figured out most of the stuff. So I thought I will join the fun.))

Name:
Kano Tetsuo
Specialty: Politics
Background: Tetsuo was born 1850 in the city of Kōfu. He lived in one of the poorest parts of the town. At the age of 17 he decided to join the Imperial Japanese Army. He took part in the Second Japanese Invasion of Korea. He was severely hurt during the war, loosing control of his left leg and losing feeling in his hands. After experiencing the horrors of war Tetsuo decided to give himself to politics. He is dedicated to the cause of peace, and he wants to improve the state of the poor.

Reactions:
Uesugi shook his head, all this nonsense between the parties were utterly disgusting to see. A wasteful war was only fueled by the madness by the lower chamber. To make it worse, peasants engaged in peaceful rallies to enforce their debilitating beliefs.

Such irresponsibility by all involved is nothing but treasonous.

Reactions:
Members of the Imperial Diet,

As war with the Russian Empire, as bloody as it is useless, has ended in a stalemate, this war waged by Japanese men for the Date Clique, has rightfully raised the population of Japan in anger, for how can a family survive on the pay of a factory worker and that of a small army pension, if your father died, as many others, in the fields of Korea. Thus they march, these men and women, sometimes even children, who are protesting for minimum wage outside our Diet, should be heard. They look to us, the leaders of their great nation and their representatives, to help them, since their employers, the bourgeoisie, do not. The Government has declared that they will lower taxes when the war ends to stop the exploitation of the people of Japan by the state, that is a honourable cause, I and most of us here would agree, if you forget that these taxes were raised to fight the horrible wars of the Date Clique. Some of these people, however, exploit their less successful employees as the State continues to exploit them, they work in unsafe envoiroments and if they do get hurt or disabled in an accident, it will lead to even more poverty, whilst it is not their fault, they work unsavoury long hours for a very small pay, just enough to live - in some case even to little - and not a pence more.

The National Liberal Party always talks about the individualism of the people, how people should care for themselves and serve the state and then everything will become alright in the end, but the individualism of the rich people leads to the inhumane conditions where a large part of our population in lives. In these conditions, individualism and nationalism cannot give you a better life, you will not survive if you only care for yourself, thus I ask you, NLP and FP Members of the Imperial Diet, what is a man supposed to do when the individualism and nationalism you and your members praise cannot save them, nor bring them a better life? I will answer with this, minimum wage, for a man cannot truely take care of himself with the small wages he gains after days of hard work. I ask this government to create boundaries for individualism, for a small group may prevent the majority to achieve full independence and is independence of a man, the ability to choose and do without the dependency on others a founding principal of Liberalism? Thus I ask this government to support Minimum wage to give the man and women, sometimes children, the right to be independent.

Furthermore, I also hope that the hopeful, reformist and liberal democracy that was the foundation of the National Liberals during the Boshin War may return once again and that the coming election will show how the people feel about the useless wars, the lack of reform and the corruption and cronyism of the National Liberal Government.

Takuma Kokuta,
Leader of the Radical Progress Party,
Kokkai giin of Nagasaki

Later that day Takuma Kokuta, Kokkai giin of Nagasaki, proposed the following act:

The Minimum Living Wage Act

- This act guarentees that all workers in Japan will be payed a minimum living wage to guarentee the wellbeing of all hardworking Japense citizens

((Trinket Minimum Wage))

((I will continue to rally for the creation of a minimum wage both inside and outside the Imperial Diet))

Kano hearing about a rally for the creation of a minimum wage being organized decides to join the people. The workers suffer in the factories for the good of their capitalist employers. They need guaranteed minimal wages, so they can provide for their families!

(( Rallying for the creation of minimum wage ))

*An aide to the currently-fasting Satake Yoshizane expresses the Leader of the Jiyudo's full and complete endorsement of the RPP-backed proposal as it is the natural extension of the opposition to slavery and serfdom that is inherent in the Japanese Constitution's ban on involuntary indenture*

((If any these reforms pass, militancy will go down, will it not? If militancy goes down, then the NLP benefits at election time, does it not?))

Count Ito Katashi gave fervent speech in the prefecture of Miyazaki in support of the war effort and NLP-KAP government. His words were inspiring, even as he practically frothed at the mouth while he praised Nippon and its people to no end and condemned all Nanban to every form of damnation known to man. A captured Russian soldier was paraded before the crowd as they threw insults his way. The man was blubbering like a baby, which only riled the crowd up with anti-Russian sentiment. The captured soldier was then shuffled away, returned to whatever prison camp he had been taken from. He served his purpose. The gathered crowd now knew the extent of Nanban weakness. Nippon would be victorious.

((Political rally in support of the war and current government.))

Reactions:
((If any these reforms pass, militancy will go down, will it not? If militancy goes down, then the NLP benefits at election time, does it not?))

((Except that they would both be forced reforms that would give MIL if passed.))

Reactions:
The people have suffered enough in this war, and the current government has not done enough to aid them. To fix this, I shall reintroduce the Reform of Healthcare Act that I proposed several years ago, with a few changes.

The Reform of Health-care Act
1. All Japanese citizens, including Koreans, will be provided with basic medical coverage, allowing them to seek medical care at the nearest hospital and/or clinic, which will be staffed with professional doctors and nurses trained through the Imperial University system (see Reform of Education Act). There are no penalties for not enrolling in the healthcare program, and enrolling is free. These privileges will be revoked should the citizen be convicted of a serious crime.
2. The government will pay for a fraction of each citizen's medical expenses using taxpayer funds. This coverage does not cover work-related medical expenses, which are covered in Clause 4 below. The amount that the government pays to each citizen for the purpose of covering medical expenses is inversely proportional to the citizen's yearly income (poorer citizens receive more than richer citizens).
3. Hospitals and clinics shall be set up in areas where they are most necessary (rural, low-income, Korea, etc.).
4. Businesses will be responsible for the physical well-being of their employees, and as such they must cover an fraction of each employee's work-related medical expenses. The amount that said business pays to each employee for the purpose of covering medical expenses is inversely proportional to the employee's yearly income (poorer employees receive more than richer employees).
5. A small to moderate fee shall be paid by all Japanese citizens enrolled in this healthcare program, with the amount inversely proportional to the citizen's yearly income (poorer citizens pay less than richer citizens, within reason).

((Health-care reform advanced three more reform levels))

~Prince Sakamoto Naotari, etc.

Last edited:
The people have suffered enough in this war, and the current government has not done enough to aid them. To fix this, I shall reintroduce the Reform of Healthcare Act that I proposed several years ago, with a few changes.

The Reform of Health-care Act
1. All Japanese citizens, including Koreans, will be provided with basic medical coverage, allowing them to seek medical care at the nearest hospital and/or clinic, which will be staffed with professional doctors and nurses trained through the Imperial University system (see Reform of Education Act). There are no penalties for not enrolling in the healthcare program, and enrolling is free. These privileges will be revoked should the citizen be convicted of a serious crime.
2. The government will pay for a fraction of each citizen's medical expenses using taxpayer funds. This coverage does not cover work-related medical expenses, which are covered in Clause 4 below. The amount that the government pays to each citizen for the purpose of covering medical expenses is inversely proportional to the citizen's yearly income (poorer citizens receive more than richer citizens).
3. Hospitals and clinics shall be set up in areas where they are most necessary (rural, low-income, Korea, etc.).
4. Businesses will be responsible for the physical well-being of their employees, and as such they must cover an fraction of each employee's work-related medical expenses. The amount that said business pays to each employee for the purpose of covering medical expenses is inversely proportional to the employee's yearly income (poorer employees receive more than richer employees).
5. A small to moderate fee shall be paid by all Japanese citizens enrolled in this healthcare program, with the amount inversely proportional to the citizen's yearly income (poorer citizens pay less than richer citizens, within reason).

((Health-care reform set to "Good" (or whatever is the maximum)))

~Prince Sakamoto Naotari, etc.

((This is considered a political revolution because it aims on putting through four levels of reform at once. You have a day to decide whether to roll back or push forward with it zen. Any one bill that aims of passing more then three reforms/reform levels total at once is a revolution. Upon change of the bill to below three reforms, the new vote will open. If a day passes and it is not changed, the revolution vote will start.))

Last edited:
Reactions:
((This is considered a political revolution because it aims on putting through four levels of reform at once. You have a day to decide whether to roll back or push forward with it zen. Any one bill that aims of passing more then three reforms/reform levels total at once is a revolution. Upon change of the bill to below three reforms, the new vote will open. If a day passes and it is not changed, the revolution vote will start.))

((I'm going to change it to three reform levels, then.))

((Alright crisis averted :p. Remember from now on, if a bill tries to pass more then three reform levels at once, then it will be a revolution))

Reactions:
Whilst I have the utmost respect for the august body that is the privy council, recent advice given by certain members to His Imperial Majesty is, to say the least, highly damaging. Not to mention its disregard for the manifest will of the Japanese people. It is therefore with great regret that I propose the following:

Motion to advise His Majesty the Emperor on Stable Government

I. It is recognised that the formation of a stable government is paramount to the continuance of a democratic system under His Majesty's auspices.

II. A Prime Minister and Cabinet unable to command the confidence of the house is not conducive to stable government.

III. In lieu of I & II, His Majesty is advised to reconsider the appointment of a Prime Minister incapable of commanding the confidence of the house.

((Basically, if a party/coalition does not have a majority of seats in the diet they either need to attract defectors or they suffer a vote of no confidence.
If Party A gets 100 seats and Player X wielded 1 VP during the election and voted for Party A, then they can take 10 seats and add them to the total of the proposed PM to try and make up a majority.
Is this ok, @naxhi24 ?))

Individuals in the employ of Kusaribe Zaibatsu are found in various smoke filled rooms convincing members of the diet to remain strong in the face of opposition calls for reform and peace. They extol the virtues of standing up to Russian Aggression, of not submitting to containment.
They also press home the need to maintain stability and consistency on the home front, rejecting the idea of forcing through unpopular and unneeded reforms.

((Purchase 1 VP))

((Basically, if a party/coalition does not have a majority of seats in the diet they either need to attract defectors or they suffer a vote of no confidence.
If Party A gets 100 seats and Player X wielded 1 VP during the election and voted for Party A, then they can take 10 seats and add them to the total of the proposed PM to try and make up a majority.
Is this ok, @naxhi24 ?))

((It would make having a minority government harder, figuring all a minority government would have happen would be a vote of no confidence called against it to shut it down. Also this possibly bipasses Imperial Decree (if the Emperor makes a minority government upon recommendation), so the Emperor may not approve this idea that challenges his authority.))

((It would make having a minority government harder, figuring all a minority government would have happen would be a vote of no confidence called against it to shut it down. Also this possibly bipasses Imperial Decree (if the Emperor makes a minority government upon recommendation), so the Emperor may not approve this idea that challenges his authority.))

((Maybe give mil if the diet rejects the emperor's choice? That should give incentive to try and form a coalition around whoever the Emp apoints. Otherwise elections are meaningless; whoever the PC appoints becomes PM, and ministerial bonuses see that the government can get legislation through irrespective of a majority.))

((Maybe give mil if the diet rejects the emperor's choice? That should give incentive to try and form a coalition around whoever the Emp apoints. Otherwise elections are meaningless; whoever the PC appoints becomes PM, and ministerial bonuses see that the government can get legislation through irrespective of a majority.))

((Minority governments are fun though. Maybe we could elect the PM. :p))

Player Actions Needed: Vote on the Parliamentary Plebiscite on the Repeal of the Administrative Representation Act, The Minimum Living Wage Act, The Reform of Health-care Act, Motion to advise His Majesty the Emperor on Stable Government (Basically puts a minority government should one appear on a timer to get defectors else be replaced), and the Franchise Reform Bill.

Sample Ballot:

Parliamentary Plebiscite on the Repeal of the Administrative Representation Act: Yes (Repeal)/No (Keep)/Abstain
Minimum Living Wage Act**: Yes/No/Abstain
The Reform of Health-care Act**x3: Yes/No/Abstain
Motion to advise His Majesty the Emperor on Stable Government: Yes/No/Abstain
Franchise Reform Bill**x2: Yes/No/Abstain

**=Forced Reform
**xN: Forced Reform times number of reforms (N) to be put in place should bill pass.

[Specialty]
[Political Bonus]
[Economic Bonus]
[Bonus]

Political Bonuses:
Michaelangelo: +2
EmperorBasilius: +2
LoggingOut: +1

Economic Bonuses (Currently):
Keinwyn: +1

Voting Ends Thursday at 9:00 PM EST, or Friday at 1:00 AM GMT. A run-through shall follow.

Last edited: