• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Parliamentary Plebiscite on the Repeal of the Administrative Representation Act

A motion to decide, by means of popular vote, the fate of the controversial Administrative Representation Act once and for all. Members shall vote either to keep or to repeal the bill, and their verdict shall be deemed binding for the foreseeable future (at least for five electoral cycles.)

((Should the Members vote to keep the Act: The Incumbent government shall be bound to appoint regional governors according to the terms of the Act immediately before the next election, and then at the same time as it appoints its ministry for each successive term. Failure to do so during the set timeframe shall result in the government receiving electoral consequences equivalent to that which a government would receive for failing to appoint a ministry, as determined by Naxhi.

Should the Members vote to repeal the Act: the Act shall be abolished, and any similar act which proposes to appoint regional governors or equivalent shall be immediately quashed by imperial decree without having to be put to a public vote, for a period of five electoral cycles starting with the next. Korean Governors may still be appointed, Regional Japanese governors shall not. Failure to comply with this ruling shall result in the government suffering an electoral penalty equivalent to that for failing to appoint a ministry, as determined by Naxhi.))

(( The act was already delayed during a repeal vote already, it shouldnt have to wait during another. Lets appoint the governors now, and you can try to repeal it after we do so. My legislation has already had to go through hoops no one elses has, it deserves one full term of existence before being destroyed.))

Reform of the Administration Act: Aye
Commerce Act: Abstain
Government Bond Act: Aye
War Budget: No

((Politician Actions: Yes
Lobbying: Yes
Demagoguery: Please in the name of Izanagi NO
Rounding: Abstain

))

[Economist]
[Nope]

(( The act was already delayed during a repeal vote already, it shouldnt have to wait during another. Lets appoint the governors now, and you can try to repeal it after we do so. My legislation has already had to go through hoops no one elses has, it deserves one full term of existence before being destroyed.))

((The fact is it's going to wait whether you like it or not until the Coalition/Date is kicked out of power and no amount of histrionics on your part will change that. This will at least force the Coalition/Date to appoint governors whether they like it or not if a majority of users vote to keep the Act. If you have such little confidence in other user's support for the act, then Revan may as well abolish it IMO.

If the plebiscite goes ahead, I'll happily agree to abstain so there's no conflict of interest.))

((Just appoint some NPC governors and then everyone's happy. Those who don't like it can ignore it since players aren't involved, while those who want it can enjoy the fact it exists. Problem solved.))

((Just appoint some NPC governors and then everyone's happy. Those who don't like it can ignore it since players aren't involved, while those who want it can enjoy the fact it exists. Problem solved.))

((Not quite. The Act stipulates that Governors must be a member of the party which won the most votes in that region at the previous election. Corbusier can argue that NPCs aren't actually members of any party, as you have to be a PC to be a party member.))

((Not quite. The Act stipulates that Governors must be a member of the party which won the most votes in that region at the previous election. Corbusier can argue that NPCs aren't actually members of any party, as you have to be a PC to be a party member.))

((whunung isn't going to endear anyone to your cause))

((Well EB, Keinwyn, and I certainly don't make up the 100+ seats the Kamikaze hold, so surely that means there are roughly a hundred NPC members of the Kamikaze, unless we are suggesting that the majority of seats in the Diet are actually held by independents who happen to vote along a certain party's lines, which I doubt. Coalitions would fail miserably if parties only really had like half a dozen members.))

((Well EB, Keinwyn, and I certainly don't make up the 100+ seats the Kamikaze hold, so surely that means there are roughly a hundred NPC members of the Kamikaze, unless we are suggesting that the majority of seats in the Diet are actually held by independents who happen to vote along a certain party's lines, which I doubt. Coalitions would fail miserably if parties only really had like half a dozen members.))

((You don't make up the thousands of faceless POPs who would have "voted" KP either, but for all intents and purposes your votes determine how many of said POPs "vote" for the KP at any given election. Same goes for the rest of us.

Of course, if Corbusier is happy to be fobbed off by NPC governors and Revan's happy to appoint them then there really is no issue here.))

((The fact is it's going to wait whether you like it or not until the Coalition/Date is kicked out of power and no amount of histrionics on your part will change that. This will at least force the Coalition/Date to appoint governors whether they like it or not if a majority of users vote to keep the Act. If you have such little confidence in other user's support for the act, then Revan may as well abolish it IMO.

If the plebiscite goes ahead, I'll happily agree to abstain so there's no conflict of interest.))

((I. Don't tell everyone what will and what will not happen in terms of OOC mechanics without my approval.

II. The Privy Council had the power to appoint governors. They failed to appoint player characters, so please assume the Emperor appointed NPCs.

III. While EB and Michael do gain influence for their party, they only hold two seats on the Diet for the KAP, the rest of their 102 seats are held by NPCs, same with all other parties.

IV. Let's not make this a big issue that turns into a fight. I will run the bill anyway after the next update like always.

))

Reactions:
((I. Don't tell everyone what will and what will not happen in terms of OOC mechanics without my approval.

((Let me clear up something quickly before we go back to IC. If the NatLibs had wished to appoint governors they would have done so already; that's logic. The fact that they haven't done so at all: despite this act being several elections old; despite frequent protestations from FH and Corbusier to do so; and taking into account Date's recent attempt to abolish the act by decree, indicates that the NatLibs probably aren't going to do so any time soon. I'm stating a logical fact here regarding player behaviour, not OOC mechanics or anything else. I would never dream of overstepping my bounds vis a vis OOC mechanics))

Being appointed to his new position, Asano Hisanori arrives at the capital.

I thank His Majesty the Emperor and His Excellency the Prime Minister for their continuing trust in appointing and nominating me as the Imperial Foreign Secretary. Having spent the last years fighting the Spanish, I can only express disgust at the defeatist attitude of the some of the political elites of the country, certain representatives of which even wear uniform. They try to undermine the efforts of our great country at the time when all loyal subjects should unite around the Throne and Prince Date Munenari in their righteous efforts - and quarrel over petty matters when we are fighting for the place of our country under the sun and freedom from the Nanban yoke. As my first decision in my new office, I would order our ambassadors in the German Empire and the United Kingdom to continue working on furthering our ties with these realms in order to acquire allies even in the alien, yet diverse, world of the West. At the same time, in order to achieve the goal of the Yamato race to unite Asia, our agents would communicate with the rulers of Dai Nam and Siam in order to explain them the benefits of cooperating with our noble Monarch in our common attempts to stop the growth of barbarian influence in the East.

- General Asano Hisanori, Count of Hiroshima
Minister of Foreign Affairs, Depufy Chief of General Staff and Governor-General of Korea

((Increase our relationships with UK and Germany until we hit 100, increase influence in Dai Nam and Siam/then try to sphere))

Reform of the Administration Act:No
Commissioners of Commerce Act:No
Government Bond Act:Yes
Repeal of the Military Preservation Act: No
War Budget:Yes

[Militarist]
[No bonus]
((I. Political Rallies:No
II. Lobbying and Funding:Yes
III. Demagogue Abilities:No
IV. Rounding to the Tenth:No))

I thank the Prime Minister Date for my appointment as Minister for the Interior.

I agree with the insightful observations of the Minister for War and direct the Ministry of the Interior to promote recruitment of soldiers in Chubu, Kanto, Kyushu, Kansai and Shikoku until we reach 5% of the population in a particular province at which time the recruitment drive in that province is to be moved to Chugoku and Tohoku in seriatim. ((National Focii for Soldiers in those provinces)) Once peace is won, and the army restored, we will return our focus on our factories and schools although I would be recommending a focus on clerical employees for greater efficiency in our factories as we will have more than sufficient factory hands once the reserves are demobilised.

As a member of our Armed Forces, I would also humbly suggest to our Chief of Staff that we look to redeploy our mobilised Reserve to add to our existing standing army brigades on the Korean frontier to bolster numbers, whilst retaining a Home Guard of 2 Reservist Corps of 27,000 each. We should also ensure that all available senior officers are allocated front line commands fitting to their talents so that they are not wasted in office jobs whilst there is hard fighting to be done.

Yamamoto Gonnohyoe
Minister of the Interior
Count of Nagasaki