• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Number 2 is the only one of those I really like. I do think that there should be more things for politicians to do, but they should be things apply to all politicians, whether they are currently in government or not.))

(("The politicians in government can also try to counter this but rallying the population for the government, eliminating the MIL and CON from the opposition and possibly lower MIL and CON altogether"

This is interesting, no? It makes having politicians important for both parties.))

A member of the Diet, known to be a hack of Kusaribe Zaibatsu, addresses the house with the following:

Cooperation between private industrialists and the military, on the issues of national defence and war policy, have led to the development of a particularly important web of connections, personal ties and acquaintances. By furthering the goals and ambitions of these informal networks within government, we can boost industrial and military investment and innovation. It is thus, in this difficult time, that I would like to propose the following bill:

Commissioners of Commerce

I. The Office of Minister of Commerce shall be placed in Commission.
II. The Commission shall be chaired and convened by the Minister of Finance.
III. The Chief of General Staff shall have a place on the commission.
IV. All economists shall have a place on the commission.
V. The order of business shall be decided by the Chairman.
VI. Commission policy must be approved by a simple majority vote amongst commissioners.

(( Enact Military-Industrial Complex. ))

Last edited:
15 March 1882
Nagoya

"Gentlemen, thank you for attending this meeting," began CEO Nagane. The youngest man in the board room, a mere 22 compared to an entire staff of men at least twice his age, took his place at the head of the table. He had the look of a man with vigor in his eyes as he explained the fruits of his travel to Kyoto.

"It seems that my dalliance at the Freedom Party convention recently did not go unnoticed. You all know of Hajamoto Yoshihiro-san, yes?"

"What, the boss of the Hajamoto Group? Of course I know him, what about it?" replied Morimoto, his chief financial officer.

"It appears," said Nagane, "that he has decided to place his assets in trust in the care of the Freedom Party itself. He's essentially created a shell corporation that the party will manage. Of course, that corporation needed an overseer, and he was looking for a promising young businessman to run it..."

"And?" asked Hanamura, the chief operations officer.

"Of course, he chose me," said Nagane, giving a wry smile. "You are now looking at the inheritor, and effective leader, of the Hajamoto Group."

Silence filled the room as the jaws of the assembled executives dropped to the floor.

"There's...there has to be a catch, there must be!" stuttered Hanamura.

"Well, yes. I - we, rather - must use the funds Hajamoto's trust generates for the benefit of the Party. As Hajamoto-san designed the agreement, should we change our mind with regards to political affiliation, the trust disappears as well. But besides that loyalty clause, the money is ours."

"With that kind of money, we're in a position to take on the Four Giants!" said Morimoto.

"I am afraid I must correct you, Morimoto-san: we now are one of the Four Giants. And I plan on putting our funding to good use."

As the boardroom cheered and harried plans were drawn up, Nagane smiled and looked out the boardroom window. It may have been sheer dumb luck, being in the right place at the right time, but he was in. He was going to make it. Here he was, only twenty-two and now one of the most powerful men in Japan.

He should start, he thought, by finding a wife. Kyoto girls would make spending any amount of time there hobnobbing with Freedom Party bigwigs bearable.

The sky really was the limit.

Nishimura Hiroshi proposes the following bills to the Imperial Diet:
((OOC effects need naxhi's approval))

Banks Act
This act lays the foundation and regulation for private banking in Japan.
((Non-economists may now own money in their savings account. Economists may gift money to other players, and if an economist dies and makes a non-economist character, his money will be transferred to his new character's saving account. Non-economists that own money may use it to perform financial activities like buying bonds or public stock, but they may not invest in building factories/railways. They and their money is ignored when calculating economist policy. When they make an economist character, their money will be transferred to the economist's assets.))

Government Bond Act
I. A Committee of Bonds would be established under the Ministry of Finance
II. The Committee of Bonds would have the power to issue government bonds including:
A. Setting the interest rate for the bonds.
B. Setting the maturity date for the bonds.
III. The government of Japan is obliged to repay bonds with interest after the maturity date.
((Money-owners(economists and non-economists alike) may buy bonds issued by the Minister of Finance. The money they pay will be added to Japan in-game. Bonds are trade-able. When the maturity date arrives, the may demand the money with the interest from the government. This amount will be removed from Japan in-game.))

Stock Market Act
This act lays the foundation and regulation for stock markets in Japan.
((Economists and the government may issue public stocks from the industry or companies they own to the stock market. Money-owners(economists and non-economists alike) may buy public stock. Each stock translates to 1% of the property. Stock-owners will receive a portion of the company's profits that is proportional to the amount of stock they own. Stock is trade-able.
Stock prices are calculated this way: 365i/100y, whereas i is the sum of daily incomes of the property/company in a year since westernization(If an update spans 2 years, for example, and daily income of a certain factory was 20, both years will have a daily income of 20) and y is the amount of years the property/company has existed.

Price example:
Factory A:
1864-1866 update: daily income = 45
1866-1868 update: daily income = 55
1868-1870 update: daily income = 59
i in 1870 = 45+45+55+55+59+59 = 318
y in 1870 = 6
Stock price = (365*318)/(100*6) = 193.45

The pricing mechanics may be changed, and I am open to suggestions))

Last edited:
((I think this may be a bit too complex, and I am fairly certain many people will not want to play an economist at all this game, so saving money for non-economists is pointless. Also economists also inherit their dynastic businesses if they continue to play as Economists, so saving is pointless should they get that money anyway. I do like the idea of bonds though, economists have already donated money to the government))

((How about everyone gets to use his money to buy VP in the elections?))

Nishimura Hiroshi, although not yet appointed Minister of Finance, drafts a budget that will be revealed if, and only if, he is appointed Minister of Finance.
((Seriously that's just a way to get the budget up before the deadline without having to wait for Revan to appoint the government))

War Budget of the Empire of Japan
This budget will exist while the war against Spain, Italy, Russia, and France lasts.

Taxes:
Poor: 85%
Middle: 85%
Rich: 85%
Expenses:
Stockpile:
Land: 100%
Naval: 100%
Construction: 30%
Other government expenses:
Education: 35%
Administration: 15%
Social spending: 100%
Military: 50%
Tariffs: 25%

When the war is over the budget will return to normal, and will be the same as the last budget.

Uesugi cradled his grandson, Uesugi Noriaki, and smiled. In the light of the war and death happening across the Pacific, this boy will be okay.

From the desk of the Minister of War:

It is imperative at this time that we do not flag from our duties in this dire time. We must stand strong and united as we struggle to force the Nanban from Asia. For this task to be success, our military strength must surpass that of all our enemies. Thus my orders for my ministry are as follows:

Regarding the navy, the process of naval base upgrades shall continue. Wherever there is a naval base that can be expanded, we must do so, if the funds are available of course. While our army throws back the Nanban from Korea and the rest of Asia, it is our navy that protects the home isles. Thus the navy itself must also be expanded. After the difficulties that resulted from transporting multiple armies to the Philippines, I believe it would be best to construct more transports. We should aim for our navy to possess enough transports to be able to transport two full armies at a time ((I believe that would be 18 transports in total if all our armies are 9 brigades)). With that in mind, we must also ensure we possess ships capable of protecting our shores and fighting the Nanban. I have heard of these wondrous ironclads that have been recently invented, ships encased in layers of metal that can withstand the toughest blow. It is imperative that we construct as many ironclads as we can support. They will surely keep the shores of Nippon safe from invasion.

Regarding the army, we must ensure that we have enough troops to fight this war to its end. As long as we have the manpower, we should replace any brigades or armies that are lost or have already been lost. We must not allow the Nanban hordes to overwhelm us. Perhaps the Minister of the Interior might consider funding recruitment efforts to aid the war effort.

- Count Ito Katashi of Miyazaki, Minister of War

((To sum it all up, upgrade all naval bases, build transports until we have 18 or enough to carry two entire armies, keep building ironclads until we can't support any more ships, and replace any lost armies/brigades.))

Second Date Munenari Government

Prime Minister: Date Munenari (Riccardo93)
Minister of Foreign Affairs: Asano Hisanori (Marschalk)
Minister of War: Ito Katashi (Michaelangelo)
Chief of the General Staff: Date Munenari (Riccardo93)
Deputy Chief of Staff: Asano Hisanori (Marschalk)
Minister of Finance: Nishimura Hiroshi (EmperorBasilius)
Minister of the Interior: Yamamoto Gonnohyoe (Davout)
Minister of Justice: Takeshi Ohba (LoggingOut)
Minister of Education: Kishiwada Yukio (mrlifeless)
Minister of Commerce: Kusaribe Kinzo (Keinwyn)
Governor General of Chosen: Asano Hisanori (Marshalk)

I further announce that Asano Hisanori is hereby promoted to General, and Ito Mizushima to Lieutentant General for meritorious service on the field of battle; Takeda Hitomi is also promoted to Captain for his exceptional service.

In regards to the court-martial of Colonel Tanaka, via special court it has been determined that he has committed insubordination on a number of occasions, and will therefore be sentenced to two months imprisonment, as well has no pay for the same period. Should further instances of this occur, a general court-martial is to be expected.

Kishiwada Zaibatsu
Expand:

Kansai Glass

Kyushu Fabric

Tohoku Fabric

Regular clothes Kanto

Luxery clothes Kansai

Chubu Glass

While the Diet votes on the Budget, it is imperative that the Privy Council select the candidates of their choice from the winning party in each region of Japan to present to the Emperor as their recommendations for Governors. The flagrant lawbreaking by the National Liberals and the subversion of the noble institution of the Privy Council by a dictatorial and unnecessary executive of said body has gone on far too long. I believe it is time to bring charges up against those officials who in their capacity as ministers of state in ruling governments have willfully subverted the representational administration law.
- Admiral Unryu Raizo

Player Actions Needed: Vote on the Reform of the Administration Act, Commissioners of Commerce Act, Government Bond Act, the Repeal of the Military Preservation Act, and the Budget ((EB I feel the other two bills make too complex OOC mechanics that would only be used by a select margin)). Also OOC-wise, vote on my proposed mechanics.

Sample Ballot:

Reform of the Administration Act: Yes/No/Abstain
Commissioners of Commerce Act^: Yes/No/Abstain
Government Bond Act: Yes/No/Abstain
Repeal of the Military Preservation Act: Yes/No/Abstain
War Budget: Yes/No/Abstain

^=Special Decision

[Specialty]
[Political Bonus]
[Economic Bonus]
[Bonus]

((

I. Political Rallies: Yes/No/Abstain
II. Lobbying and Funding: Yes/No/Abstain
III. Demagogue Abilities: Yes/No/Abstain
IV. Rounding to the Tenth: Yes/No/Abstain

))

Political Bonuses:
Michaelangelo: +2
EmperorBasilius: +2
LoggingOut: +1

Economic Bonuses:
mrlifeless: +3
Keinwyn: +2

Voting ends Sunday at 9:00 PM EST, or Monday at 1:00 AM GMT.

Last edited:
Lord Satake's bill has much to recommend it, but I cannot in good conscience vote for any piece of legislation which would undermine the Diet's status as a purely civilian body. Were it shorn of the fourth clause, the bill would have my utmost support.

Admin Reform Act: No.
Nishimura's acts: Abstain.
Budget: No.
Repeal of the MPA: Yes.

((Political Rallies: Yes
Lobbying and Funding: Yes
Demagogy: Hell No
Rounding: Who cares?))