• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
An open letter, published in newspapers across Japan:

320px-War_flag_of_the_Imperial_Japanese_Army.svg.png

From the desk of
Colonel Ito Mizushima
Commanding the Korean Central Army
for His Imperial Majesty the Emperor;
Grand Marshal of the Empire, Commander in Chief of the Imperial Japanese Army
大日本帝國陸軍
Dai-Nippon Teikoku Rikugun

Addressed to the Most Honourable and August Members of the Imperial Diet of Japan, and the loyal subjects of His Imperial Majesty;

From my post in Chosen, I have the honour of serving His Imperial Majesty in command of his forces; defending the Japanese Empire and the Home Islands. This war was declared with the sole purpose of furthering the divinely-ordained position of the noble Yamato race as the protectors of liberators of Asia. We have lost much, yes. Many souls, many kami, have been enshrined at Tōkyō Shōkonsha. Heroes all, who gave their most precious lives for the defense and the advancement of the Motherland.

And how do many members of the Diet propose we honour their sacrifice? How do we avenge them, and grant them memory eternal?

By running away like women, with our kimonos fluttering in the wind.

Shame and disgrace may be the living of politicians, but it is not something which military men are accustomed to. To those that oppose this war, the lilywhites, traitors, and cowards who say that the cost of blood is too high, I have nothing to say. Truly, what words could penetrate the hearts of piteous souls such as you; you with no concept of dignity and justice? Your souls are already soft and noxious, ripened melons left to rot in the sun. We must never retreat. Here we stand, and not a single step back. Instead I speak to those representatives of the people with resolve and duty in their hearts, and iron in their spines; and to the patriotic subjects of the Emperor that they faithfully serve.

Japan has lost much, and we mourn. But only cowards turn and run after taking a punch. Men stand and fight, and stand and fight we have. And we're winning. Do not snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Only the government can lead us to victory, only Prince Date. Do not change horses mid-stream, but stay the course towards victory. As I fight the nanban in the defense of the Japanese people, I shall be thinking of the politicians in Tokyo; who I am protecting just as much as I am protecting their constituents. I hope, and believe, that they will make the right choice.

Respectfully in service,

伊藤水島
朝鮮中央軍司令官の

Last edited:
In these trying times it is vital to maintain a strong, healthy economy. The Nanban must be pushed back. As such, Kusaribe Zaibatsu will take on the entirety of the government debt at this time.

- Kusaribe Kinzo

To make sure the goverment does not entire into debt once again Kishiwada Zaibatsu shall gift the goverment £50,000

(Private: Jiyudo)
I suggest the declaration period end at (5pm EST saturday) and the party begin the primary at that time. I ask that Lord Uesugi or Commander Kusenagi step up as a Party Secretary should they not be running for the leadership.

I also remind Lord Uesugi of his unique influence and suggest he might form a peace march.

- Admiral Unryu

Kirizai Group Report, 1882

Construction on our furniture factory has completed, and the facility has been operating smoothly. Or at least it would be, if the labor force was not so underdeveloped. This incompetent government is willing to let industry languish while pursuing its warmongering policy, meaning that we are currently lacking workers to man the factory. Competing with the four main zaibatsu will not be simple, as they have many more years to build up their facilities. Yet we are determined to make our mark on this country, and will not give up so easily.

It is my opinion that our remaining capital is best spent on an industry certain to make money that is not resource-intensive. I thus recommend we build a cement factory in Hiroshima (Chugoku). Cement is generally in demand worldwide and likely to be profitable. If we can acquire our fair share of the labor market, we should be able to begin competing with the giants - and perhaps one day take them on. If this fails, I know not what to do - perhaps we must expand internationally instead?

- Nagane Hidetoshi, CEO of the Kirizai Group

((Private Jiyudo))

I shall run for the position of Foreign Minister.

~Prince Sakamoto Naotari

I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so. Don't even try to chalk down the Franco-Russian intervention to bad fortune or a desire to trample over us "little yellow men", France and Russia were threatened by our invasion of Spanish lands and acted accordingly to protect their sphere of influence. Lords Ito and Date have the blood of hundreds of thousands on their hands.

--Hosokawa-dono

Reactions:
With the greatest respect Lord Hosokawa, Japan has not yet begun to fight.

A judicious adjustment of our spending priorities to put us on a war footing with marginally increased taxes and reduced education spending will put us into a positive financial position, whilst our mobilised reserves can be used to help fill the ranks of the Army to form a bulwark against the Gaijin armies. If the Navy maintains control of the Phillipines Sea and the Army can maintain the defences in Korea, the Russians and French will tire from their losses and seek peace. In a battle of wills, the determination of the Empire will prevail.

I would suggest that every Japanese subject do their utmost to serve, including all available Generals be appointed to commands, including myself. I seek leave of the Prime Minister to serve with the Army as he sees fit.

Yamamoto Gonnohyoe
Count of Nagasaki
Minister of Commerce

Reactions:
REFORM OF THE ADMINISTRATION ACT
行政改革法
Gyōsei Kaikaku-hō
-1882-

Preface.
Resolved, that in times of major war, the holding of major cabinet posts by active members of the Japanese Army and Navy is inefficient and runs against the expectations and confidences of Japanese citizens, it should be the prerogative of the Diet to immediately issue an order to separate during those times of war and martial crises, the offices of military officers and political figures.

Section I.
Art. I - Military officers, during any time in which they are stationed abroad, are leading troops, or are altogether not present in the Japanese Home Islands for any reason relating to their roles as soldiers or sailors are to be restricted from holding the offices of Prime Minister, cabinet ministries, et al. In the event that a sitting government enters war under peacetime circumstances,
a. the sitting government will be granted the option to either resign their positions in government for the duration of the war or to retain their duties within government and temporarily be excluded from military command for the duration of such a split;
b. any and all officers in political roles will receive their military stipend regardless of deployment.

Art. II - The Chief of General Staff of the Empire of Japan shall be appointed at the discretion of the Emperor of Japan with the advice of the Japanese Officer Corps and shall be forbidden from holding a political post aside from Minister of War or Minister of the Navy for the duration of his appointment and is required to follow all prior duties and restrictions placed upon officers during times of war.

Art. III - The positions of Minister of War and Minister of the Navy are to be appointed at the discretion of the Emperor of Japan with the consultation of his Prime Minister and shall not be held simultaneously with any other cabinet position or political post.

Section II.
Art. I - The number of elected seats in the Diet will be increased and capped at 700, to be apportioned to each province of Japan through the largest remainder method.

Art. II - The military shall receive fifty additional seats in the Diet, to be appointed by the Japanese Officer Corps. These fifty military seats are to be non-partisan and led by the most senior retired flag officer of either the Japanese Army or Navy, who will be guaranteed one of the fifty seats. In times of war, any of these seats occupied by actively serving officers are to be closed for the duration of that officer's service. Officers who hold any of these seats shall not be allowed to command troops in peacetime.

I had intended on serving but a single term as the Emperor’s Prime Minister, yet it seems that at this juncture, when the Empire needs stable, capable leadership, to selfishly retire to my own devices is a luxury I cannot afford. Therefore, I announce my intention to run once again for the position of leader of the National Liberal Party.

With wars of aggression being waged upon the Empire of Japan, we cannot stray from the course, or allow for a change in leadership – particularly from an established military figure, one who threw back the Russians and the Italians in lieu of politicians and insubordinate officers. Even now those politicos seek to undermine the Imperial Army, as evidenced by the latest legislation, whilst the officer class of the opposition insults superior officers, officers fighting to protect the Homeland whilst he is secure in his home, able to salvo these polemics.

Putting them aside (as they should be), let us review what has happened in these war – the Philippines have been occupied, the Spanish army decimated, the Italians and Russians put to flight, and the Homeland has been kept safe. Many lives have been lost, unfortunately, but they were lost in the protection of the Emperor’s honour, in the preservation of the Japan’s might and safety – they were lost in the jungles of the Philippines defending our fellow Asians, casting out the gaijin. They have been lost in Chosen, where the invaders sought to tear asunder our good work there. They have sacrificed all for the Empire, and yet now the politicians seek to make a waste of their heroism – what shall Marquis Satake or Colonel Tanaka do in regards to the wars? Shall they surrender, as their party seems wont to do? Or shall they continue to fight, without the experienced leadership of officers such as myself and others leading the struggle? In the former, they will bring dishonour to Japan, in the latter, they shall betray their principles – all the while fighting ineptly.

To my fellow officers, those loyal to the Emperor and respectful of the superiors, let us continue to fight for the Empire’s glory, and in every instance bring honour and dignity to the Emperor and his people – let us throw back the foreigners with our force of will and tenacity.

~ Marshal Prince Date Munenari

Player Actions Needed: Militarists have from now to the start of the election to declare their intent to run for Minister of War or to nominate another for the position.

I continue to support Ito Katashi as our War Minister; his service during this war has been, as always, exemplary.

~ Marshal Prince Date Munenari

I put myself forward for the post of Minister of War until Lord Justice Satake's wise new legislation may be passed. I have been notable in the past for my organizational skills, if I say so myself, and while politically the glory of battlefield is good for my career I feel I can contribute more to the war effort in the logistical arena where my talents lay.
- Admiral Unryu Raizo

((Private Jiyudo))

Jiyudo Candidate: Satake

~Sakamoto