• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Private letters to Lord Ito and Minister Kusaribe))

Most honorable Minister of Interior,
Most honorable Minister of War

While I am generally in support of the plans regarding the building of naval bases and railways within Chosen, I must note that I am slightly surprised that the Ministries of the noble gentlemen did not even ask the opinion of the General Government before voicing their plans regarding Chosen. I wish to remind my good colleagues and friends that I am the representative of His Majesty and Prince Date themselves within Chosen, that is a special entity consisting of recently conquered people that have their own cultural peculiarities and that it important for the center to keep the expertize of the local authorities in mind before making fundamental decisions regarding the area. Otherwise, due to the lack of the information in the capital and the cooperation and coordination of activities between the General Government and the Ministries problems may arise. In the years to come, if Korea is to be Japanized, such special attention and special governmental bodies may stop to be necessary - but currently we need to be careful and weight all our options before acting within the area.

With a patriotic greeting,
Asano Hisanori
Count of Hiroshima
Governor General of Chosen

To his excellency The Governor General of Korea

I apologise if the directive appeared heavy-handed, however I am always open to advice and suggestions. In specific regard to Chosen, the construction of the Pyongyang - Seoul - Pusan line, built in the aftermath of the invasion has been most successful. Building on this success will, I hope, have have many beneficial effects for the region and help ease governance and the maintenance of order. I would expect your office to be heavily involved in the execution of any infrastructure projects in the region, therefore any input from yourself is welcome. If you would like to suggest amendments or additions I will ensure the interior ministry cooperates in any way it can with your office.
I would also like to request information regarding educational facilities in Chosen. Is there any lack of resources or personnel? Whilst the Interior Ministry lacks the resources to rectify any issues at this time, if it is necessary I will ensure some are put aside in the future.

Respectfully yours,
Kusaribe Kinzo.

Kishiwada Zaibatsu

Domestic Investments:

Expand Kansai Liquor 9.09K

Foreign Investment:

Gotaland Luxury clothes 15.72K

Gotaland furniture 12.34K

Sveland liquor 9.09K

East Switzerland Glass 7.74

East Switzerland Luxury clothes 15.72K

Apparently some people lack the basic understanding of what my duties are as Minister of War. I cannot unilaterally declare war, and indeed I have not. What I can do, as I did with Korea and wish to do with Spain, is announce the intention to declare war and advise the Emperor on logical war targets. This gives the Emperor and his advisors time to prepare plans and debate on the whether or not such a goal should be pursued. I have simply announced that Spain is a viable target and it would be worthwhile for Nippon to declare war on them for the Philippines. I recognize and have always recognized that it is the Emperor who makes the final decision on whether or not war should be declared. I would appreciate if my colleagues focused on their own duties instead of telling me how I should do my job.

- Count Ito Katashi of Miyazaki, Minister of War

Reactions:
Date (1877-1879): Defeats and Victories

Date Munenari, Prince of Shikoku, Privy Councilor, Marshall in the Imperial Army, former Supreme Commander of his Imperial Majesty, former Minister of War, former and first Governor General of Korea, former Chancellor of the Realm, Chief of General Staff, and now Prime Minister of Japan, has a pretty large track record. He has been the symbol of Japanese strength, and is arguably the most powerful person in Japan besides the Emperor. That being said, is it any real surprise that he was chosen to be Prime Minister? The National Liberal Party was slowly making itself almost dictatorial in winning the position over and over again. Many credit the fact that many former Boshin War victors were part of the NLP and KAP. Others say the opposition is just not as popular compared to the agendas of the NLP. Some believe that jingoism is the best way to make Japan strong, as shown with the war against Korea. The NLP has always been given tribute for making Japan strong, and spurring the growth of industry on a rapid scale. The NLP has given prestige to the nation on a grand scale. Yes, the members are reaching their prime and/or have begun to become elderly, but wars have not stopped them before, why would they stop them now? This is the key to the success of the NLP, keep making Japan look powerful and they will become masters of Japan.

This is to the dismay of the opposition. The opposition, unable to even grasp power, has been slowly falling into disarray. Yet, they saw their chance when Date Munenari made his government. Date Munenari kept his position of Chief of General Staff while becoming Prime Minister. The opposition was outraged at the fact that a civilian position and a military position would be owned by the same person. Satake Yoshizone and Masahiro Tanaka boycotted and refused to sit on the Diet. However, few people joined them. Many opposition members did not even bother to vote, let alone join a boycott. Some believe that the opposition will never get in power, and have chosen to just sit and listen to the NLP make agendas. However, many feel that the opposition is what keeps the government from turning into a fully-fledged dictatorship. The idea of multi-party democracy prevents the belief that the NLP is becoming a dictatorship. Whoa to the NLP leader who experiences a Diet run exclusively by him.

sOJ17oZ.gif

(Date trying to join a "Imperialism Club", as the Freedom Party cartoon shows)

However, the boycott would also seem silly in the eyes of the Japanese people. A few months after Munenari took power, the NLP received word that their Nile Expedition Force failed to find the source. Rather than face embarrassment, Date Munenari sent more funds and ordered the expedition to press on. The results came with great success. A year later, the source of the Nile was discovered, not by a Western group, but by a group of Japanese explorers. The Japanese had beaten the west to something, the first time this had happened in history. The west was embarrassed by the Japanese. Glory and prestige fell upon the nation of Japan. Yet, it would be short lived. In early 1878, newspapers reported that Japanese soldiers had forced Filipino civilians to rebel, causing the Spanish to denounce Japan. Many in the international community denounced this attempt of the Japanese to spur conflict between Spain and Japan. The Japanese though, did not care for the international community, and pressed on in their attempt to “liberate” Asia from western domination. Though, the possibility of war seems far-fetched, it is still a possibility.

a5UJEkz.jpg

(Lake "Meiji" ((RL Lake Victoria)))
Korea also began to show signs of Japanesification (as the NLP calls it). Date Munenari appointed Asano Hisanori to the position of Governor General of Korea. Asano began to experience problems almost immediately. Korea was still resisting foreign occupation, with a known rebel group reaching 800,000 reported members, maybe more. So far though, they are just peasants, not actual soldiers. The militia in Korea also resisted the change in culture and resented the new technologies Japan presented. Date Munenari ordered that these lazy natives adapt to Japanese standards. Korea was becoming a hotbed of militancy for the country, and that is not a good thing indeed. Regardless, Japan would make Korea properly Japanese, and possibly annihilate the Korean culture for good.

8VkBOzO.jpg

(Japanese occupiers in Korea)

With the opposition sulking in defeat, the NLP boasting great achievements, and Japan growing ever so prominent in society, Japan seemed to be at peace. While many cried that Munenari was a shogun, he did not care and made Japan look great. The economy was doing well, even with a small deficit. So far, everything was going good in Japan, but something needs to be done, something that would propel Japan to the strongest power in Asia. What that thing is currently is unknown…
-------------------------------

Player Actions Needed: You have a CB on Spain for taking a colony. Also you discovered the source of the Nile. I will give you guys the rest of the day to submit things. I will have screenshots up by tonight (though no promises).

Last edited:
1IKKv9g.png

g4aobuh.png

8y8kYgM.png

sYmG9Qh.png

px9Ys8b.png

5hEohvv.png

hxRyyLC.png

xv4wgAu.png

Ncr6uG2.png

VDVjkSq.png

POMYeGa.png

D62Vtgs.png

tUh6lTd.png

UJ2uNVo.png

C6Y93qg.png

Z5t9sVG.png

cTIAg84.png

Vj9zyJg.png

LZjM7Q1.png

Industrial Wealth:

liefwarrior:
Profit: 75143
Earned: 62378
Debt: 0

mrlifeless:
Profit: 329594
Earned: 255465

Luftwafer:
Profit: 29413
Earned: 18250

Keinwyn:
Profit: 336051
Earned: 263420

Keinwyn has trumped mrlifeless and has taken the position as richest economist. He gets the +3.

Last edited:
((Also I am going to propose two OOC things

I. The idea that militancy reduces election VP for the ruling party. Basically is this goes into place, I will grant a 5% bonus to VP for every time the government reduces militancy a point from where it was at the start of their term, and grant a 5% penalty to election VP should they earn a point a militancy from where it was at the start of their term.

II. I feel that POP voting should be more involved. The idea behind this is simple. Basically I take the in-game election and apply that percentage to the total VP of a party. If the Nat-Libs, for example get 20% of the POPs vote, then I will give them 20% more VP. This way, the POPs will be a bigger determinate of VP

))

Motion to advise the Emperor on war against Spain

I. It must be recognised that the waters and islands extending south and west of Nippon are a natural part of our nation's sphere.

II. Western powers who find themselves in possession of colonies in this sphere must be aware that this is a transgression against Nippon.

III. In lieu of the above, the Japanese Empire asserts its right to the islands known as the Philippines.

IV. The Imperial Diet will therefore advise His Majesty to prosecute war against Spain over said islands.

((Declare war on Spain with the already justified 'place in the sun' CB for Luzón))

((Postponing vote since the guy who was suppose to do my wealth did not do it. Voting shall open tomorrow night once I get the wealth up))

Prince Date, upon hearing of the proposal being considered in the Diet, quickly assembles before the Privy Council a similar motion to weigh in on.

He then heard of Colonel Tanaka's remarks about him; disregarding his insulting a commanding officer, and his seeming desire to throw the political system into chaos - neither of which impressed the venerable statesman - he was slightly bemused by the colonel's steadfast desire to keep the Empire perpetually behind the European powers; surely even he could see that bringing prestige and accomplishments to Japan would gain them more respect and international power.

Last edited:
I will build regular clothes factories in Shikoku and Chugoku.

Player Actions Needed: Vote on my change in mechanics and the motion to declare war on Spain

Sample Ballot:

Declare War on Spain (Motion): Yes/No/Abstain

[Political Bonus]
[Economic Bonus]
[Bonus]

((

MIL Mechanic: Yes/No/Abstain
POP Mechanic: Yes/No/Abstain

))

Political Bonuses:
Tempest: +2
Michaelangelo: +2
EmperorBasilius: +2
LoggingOut: +1

Economic Bonus:
Keinwyn: +3

Voting ends Thursday at 9:00 PM EST or Friday at 1:00 AM GMT

I refuse to support this motion, as it is filed not with the intent to liberate and free the Filipino people, but rather to establish Japanese sovereignty over a region to which we have no claim or legitimate right to rule. If the motion were filed, instead, to wage a war with the aforementioned intent to liberate, I would wholeheartedly support it, but the current proposal is, certainly, a "no" from myself.

Declare War on Spain (Motion): No

[Masters of the Shogunate, +3VP]

((
MIL Mechanic: Yes
POP Mechanic: Yes
))

Declare War on Spain (Motion): Yes

[Minister of War: +2VP]
[Imperial Victor: +1VP]

- Count Ito Katashi of Miyazaki, Minister of War

((
MIL Mechanic: Yes
POP Mechanic: Yes

You may want to check with some of the parties about which ideology they are if we implement the last one since I seem to remember the NLP and FP swapping places or something.))

I must announce my fathers ailing health, and due to that his wish is to remain out of the public view for the remainder of his life.
As such I, Ito Chosokame will be taking his place as head of the household

((Class is politician so after the next update I will take my wealth, sell my industry and buy a viscountship? Or a baroncy))

I don't feel that this is the correct thing to do,while we must free our Asian brothers we mustn't anger the Europeans, who are powerful.

So I cast a nay vote on this proposal, as it will just cause unnecessary hardship for the Japanese people

((Mil mechanic yay
POP mechanic nay))

((I'm still technically Akio so I don't have to sell yet but I don't get voting bonuses))