• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I believe it is time that Korea be forced to pay for aiding Matsui in his attack on Kyushu. There are those who say we should just seek financial compensation. They were not in Kyushu when Korean mercenaries slaughtered innocent Japanese citizens. Taking funds from their treasury is a mere slap on the wrist. They will merely resent us and that will encourage them to make another attempt in the future. We must strike hard to ensure they never consider such a thing again. As Minister of War, I call for our fair nation to make Korea into a protectorate. Just as Korea once served as a tributary state of China, we shall establish a presence there to ensure the Koreans behave. Not only that, but this gives us the chance to protect the Koreans from the Nanban, if perhaps against their will. They have been influenced by the Americans and Belgians, but they are too weak to ever be able to overthrow such puppet-masters. We shall save them from that fate. Let Nippon grow strong through war so it can protect our brethren in Asia from the Nanban.

- Ito Katashi of Miyazaki, Minister of War

((If it isn't clear, I want us to fabricate an establish protectorate CB on Korea.))

War, what is it good for? I say absolutely nothing. Listen to me!

-Tanaka

Last edited:
Reactions:
War, what is it good for? I say absolutely nothing.

-Tanaka

I am personally against the annexation of Korea, as they are fellow Asians. If we absolutely must go to war with Korea, we should limit it to a humiliation/cut down to size mission, to remind them of their place in the world.

~Sakamoto

((I suggest humiliate/cut down to size/add to sphere war goal))

((I'm beginning to understand why FH and Zen's proposed United Front never came to anything...))

Reactions:
Final Tally (With Bonuses):

Guide: Yes/No/Abstain

Shareholder Security Act: 14/0/5
Passed
Budget: 9/2/8
Passed
Amendment to the Military Discipline Act: 9/3/7
Passed

((Update Tomorrow, it will be short since I had to be pulled aside for an interview for a moderator on a GMod server, but it is filled with nice stuff))

Oshiro (1873-Mid 1874): The Bussan Incident
Oshiro Kazuki was once again Prime Minister of Japan following the successful election of his party into the majority of the Diet. While Hosokawa Mitsuhide had already dishonored himself via his attempted major reform program, Oshiro saw this new era as an era of stability and prosperity. Yet, one thing that many in the government did not expect was peace, Asian peace that is. The biggest issue of this third term had to be Korea.

Korea and Japan have had an up-down relationship over the past few centuries. During the early Empire and Shogunate, Korea was Japan's primary trading partner in the region. Many speculate that Korean traders brought Chinese aspects of life to Japan. In the late 16th century, Toyotomi Hideyoshi launched an invasion of Korea in hopes of conquering Korea and China. This was a disaster, and completely undermined Hideyoshi's legitimacy. Some say his rule of not letting Tokugawa Clan soldiers fight in Korea helped keep Ieyasu strong enough to take over right when Hideyoshi died. Following the rise of the Tokugawa Shogunate, Korea was one of the few nations actually allowed to trade with Japan, and the governments of Satake Yoshinobu helped keep it that way by granting Korean traders special privileges over European traders.

3oZ6ixh.jpg

(A Scene from the Japanese Invasion of Korea, circa 1596)

Korea though was still uncivilized when Japan embraced modernization. The root of all problems currently between Japan and Korea started at the end of the Boshin War. Matsui Ichiro fled Japan with an army of 10,000 soldiers to Korea. From there, he invaded Japan. Ichiro was ultimately killed, and his army crushed, but for the next few years, the Diet argued over if Korea helped sponsor the rebellion. That is not clear as of now, but evidence did show that Korea was not very keen on Japan's modernization. King Gojong (Who will become Emperor Gwangmu) of Korea was only an infant when Matsui came to Korea. His regent was Yi Ha-eung, a staunch isolationist. Yi persecuted westerners, Christians, and anyone who tried to introduce modern ideas to Korea. It would be no surprised that he was angered by the Japanese modernization of the Meiji Restoration. However how far he was angered is up to speculation. Many claim that Yi funded Matsui with troops and supplies to attack Japan to keep Asia traditional. Some go even further and say the Chinese spurred Yi on. However no evidence existed that showed Yi had any involvement in Matsui's rebellion.

QuxPKYT.jpg

(Yi Ha-eung)

Regardless of their involvement, Korea was condemned by the Japanese Diet for allowing Matsui to live in Korea, and to allow him to attack Japan from Korea. Korea should have shipped Matsui backed to Japan for a trial as soon as he landed on Korea, claimed the Diet. Korea ignored these claims. Relations became very bitter between the two. War was a possibility, all it needed was an explosion, which is what this whole thing got in early 1874. In the port of Bussan Korea, a Japanese troop transport ship was unloading troops. The Emperor and Korea had agreed to allow Japanese soldiers into Korea to help with combat strategy. This was done in collaboration between the Koreans and Japanese. However, the transport ship, overnight, mysteriously exploded. The ship was torn apart, and by the end of the day, 100 Japanese sailors were dead.

gGt2Z50.jpg

No one knew who was responsible. Some say the boiler exploded, others say a bomb destroyed it. Regardless of what actually happened, the press in Japan blamed Korea for this. Korea denied these claims, and the scene was right for war. Oshiro Kazuki though would try once more for peace, and sent Minister of Commerce Kusaribe Kinzo to Korea. The Koreans, not wanting a war with a superior force, decided to pay compensation to the Japanese government in the form of 200,000 credits. Peace was restored, but the anger over the past decade of Korean negligence, and now this incident in Bussan, could be enough for war. Minister of War Ito thought so, and fabricated a war reason to make Korea a vassal to Japan. Now all he needed to do was secure the Emperor's favor and the support of the Diet, before war can be achieved.
-----------------------------
Player Actions Needed: I will give you the rest of the day to declare war on Korea get stuff up. Note that you have a CB to establish a protectorate over Korea.

Last edited:
3LkmUGa.png

GLTjMfM.png

KRlzuLn.png

HXcjPbE.png

GFbQxEM.png

6kidtt8.png

PcLmWsl.png

Vi0jSDW.png

GvCjOY2.png

t2lwWqU.png

A9EDlmj.png

FS4WSVJ.png

RvMlIHw.png

6aHA6i8.png

1J8CFi2.png

J8Ntwhj.png

8DhsBpd.png

8aCEGK0.png

Industrial Wealth

Hajamoto Yoshihiro ((liefwarrior)):
Profit: 64458
Earned: 34894
Debt: 29040

Kishiwada Yukio ((mrlifeless)):
Profit: 57953
Earned: 44238
Debt: 15400

Akio Chosokame ((Luftwafer)):
Profit: 7508
Earned: 1168
Debt: 12100

Kusaribe Kinzo ((Keinwyn)):
Profit: 29798
Earned: 29310
Debt: 26400

liefwarrior is the richest and gets the +3

Last edited:
Nishimura Hiroshi proposes this bill to the Imperial Diet:

Motion to Advise the Emperor on War against Korea
提案は韓国戦争に天皇に助言します

Reacting against the crimes of the Korean government that helped the vile Matsui Ichirou in his rebellion against the Emperor
AND
Reacting against the deaths of hundred brave Japanese soldiers who were cruelly killed on the shores of Korea.
AND
Accepting the just claims of the Empire of Japan to rule over the Korean peninsula.

The Imperial Diet will advise His Imperial Majesty to declare war against Korea in order to establish a Japanese protectorate over the Korean peninsula.
((Private: Privy Council))

Seeing the debate in the Diet, the Privy Council should decide what to advise to His Imperial Majesty in regards to war against Korea.

((Start PC vote for the war))

~ Nishimura Hiroshi, Count of Fukuoka and Minister of Finance

I wish to announce that in my capacity as a member of the Imperial Diet and a member of His Majesty's Privy Council, I support the motion in favour of Seikanron.

-- Hosokawa-dono

I believe first and foremost it is necessary to conduct an inquiry into the sinking of the Bussan more fully before we condemn the Koreans for this incident; nevertheless, their multitudes of actions taken against the Empire compel me to announce my support for the Finance Minister's Proposal, both in my capacity as a Peer and a member of His Majesty's Privy Council, regardless of the outcome of any such government-led investigation. Joseon has long since been a haven for dissidents and traitors, and this must come to an end.

~ Prince Date Munenari, Chief of the Army General Staff, Chief of the Navy General Staff, Commander of the Northern General Army, and Privy Councillor

I believe first and foremost it is necessary to conduct an inquiry into the sinking of the Bussan more fully

((Busan is the name of the port not the name of the ship. :p))

As a member of the Privy Council and the Imperial Diet, I also believe that further investigation is needed before we declare war on Korea.
In line with the Loyalist Association's policies, I refuse to support this motion and urge the other respectable members of the Diet to do likewise. Though there are criminals hiding in Korea, there are good people there as well, and we could help them by sending advisors and security forces to improve their way of life without conquering them.

~Sakamoto

Though there are criminals hiding in Korea, there are good people there as well, and we could help them by sending advisors and security forces to improve their way of life without conquering them.

Against my better judgement, we did that: we sent an entire ship full of military advisors and other personnel to Busan. That ship and her crew are now lying on the bottom of the ocean. How many more Japanese lives does the Honourable Lord suggest we sacrifice for the sake of his misguided policy of Korean Appeasement?

I believe I speak for all in my party - and for many of those from the KAP as well - that there can be no permanent state of cooperation between His Majesty's Government and the Loyalist Association until Prince Sakamoto abandons his lofty Pan-Asian Idealism for good and embraces the stark reality of Japan's geopolitical situation.

-- Hosokawa-dono, Foreign Secretary

I believe I can speak for the Loyalist Association when I say that we are willing to work with any members of any party who oppose Seikanron and want to maintain Korean independence and, ideally, keep the peace. In previous talks with conservative leaders like Lord Mori we have established a party-wide willingness to enter in a government under the platform of Pacifism, as we have looked at the accounts and seen that this policy would in no way impede our ability to expand the military and pursue our party's consistent and ongoing program for a modern navy.

Most of us in the Loyalist Association are in the military and thus cannot hold cabinet positions, and Mr. Akio would prefer to serve as Minister of Industry rather than one of the more established roles, so we by necessity are looking for good men loyal to the Empire and in agreement with our "Pan-Asian idealism", of which we are quite proud. Any member of any party willing to vote in the Diet against war is welcome to serve as a Minister in a government headed by Prince Sakamoto as Prime Minister. If war is to be avoided or made less miserable, we need talented people in the Foreign Office and War Ministry. Similarly, while the current government looks to Korea there are here at home more reactionary rebels, something that has not been addressed by the ruling coalition's Justice Minister. And we strongly feel that the Finance ministry has been unnecessarily balancing the budget on the backs of administrative and education spending when money could be used more efficiently in the military and national stockpile and achieve more in the process. And a truly modern military requires the right man in the Education ministry.

So please, if you oppose the punitive expedition to Korea and want a stronger and more prosperous Japan, join with us to come out of the next election with a better government than we would otherwise get.

- Admiral Unryu

I do not think anyone who offers a plump ministerial bribe to any Member of the Diet - irrespective of experience, talent, party or political views - who votes for or against any specific issue according to the whims of Prince Sakamoto, can speak with any authority about what constitutes good governance.

--Hosokawa-dono.

Against my better judgement, we did that: we sent an entire ship full of military advisors and other personnel to Busan. That ship and her crew are now lying on the bottom of the ocean. How many more Japanese lives does the Honourable Lord suggest we sacrifice for the sake of his misguided policy of Korean Appeasement?

I believe I speak for all in my party - and for many of those from the KAP as well - that there can be no permanent state of cooperation between His Majesty's Government and the Loyalist Association until Prince Sakamoto abandons his lofty Pan-Asian Idealism for good and embraces the stark reality of Japan's geopolitical situation.

-- Hosokawa-dono, Foreign Secretary
How do we know that the Koreans sank that ship? Could it not have been the Belgians or some other gaijin Great Power seeking to provoke conflict between us Asians to keep us weak while they reap the spoils? How do we know that the Great Powers aren't just baiting us into a war and then intervene on behalf of Korea?

~Sakamoto

I cannot, in good conscious, send my fellow people to war. It is our place to defend the lesser classes, not massacre them against barbarians.

((Privy Vote on War: No))

Player Actions Needed: Vote on whether or not to declare war on the Empire of Korea. Privy Council will have a vote to advise for or against the war along with the recomendation of the Diet.

Sample Ballot:

Declare War on Korea (Motion): Yes/No/Abstain

[Specialty]
[Political Bonus (If Applicable)]
[Economic Bonus (If Applicable)]
[Bonus/Penalty (If Applicable)]

((For Privy Council Only))

Support of War: For/Against/Abstain

[Rank of Nobility]

Political Bonuses:
Somberg: +3
LordTempest: +2
Michaelangelo: +2
EmperorBasilius: +2
LoggingOut: +1

Economic Bonuses:
liefwarrior: +3

Voting ends Friday at 9:00 PM EST or Saturday at 1:00 AM GMT, a playthrough shall follow the ending of the vote.

Last edited: