• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If Japan is not yet strong enough to fight the Europeans and incorporate liberated Asian nations into our sphere of influence, and if we must resort to the more primitive tactic of colonialism over common market integration, why spend our blood and treasure giving ourselves a land border the with the Russians? The resources we need to feed and clothe an expanded military are in East Africa. Why should our Empire not have a seat at the table with the European powers carving up the African continent? Surely as Asians we would be more humane towards other people of color than the Europeans have been.

Do the Members of the Imperial Diet truly think that the purpose of progress and modernization, the breaking of the shackles of tradition, ignorance and inferiority fastened around our hands and minds by the Shogunate and Western powers, was to shackle our fellow man? Instead of shackling our Korean brethren, whom manier Cliques tried to shackle before the Date Clique, we should look onto Japan and see that for all progress that there has been made, many villages remain backwards, for all knowledge that our people have discovered, illiteracy and ignorance are still rampant, for the democracy that was promised, many powers still lay with the former aristocracy and Date clique. The path of progress, a path which we have chosen as a people and a path which tolerates no obstruction, should not be strided from, for it is not until the people in those rural villages can live long and healthy lives, for it is not until all ignorance and illiteracy has been defeated and for it is not until the voice of the people dictates the future of the nation that we have truly finished our journey and we have become an example of nations, rather than an imitator of western brutality and inhumanity.

Takuma Kokuta,
Leader of the Kyūshintō and Shigikai giin of Nagasaki

I have seen enough war in my lifetime. Every night I am haunted by the screams of the dead and the scarred landscape during the Boshin War.

It is time for peace. We should peacefully trade with Korea, not subjugate them like Matsui and the Shogun tried to do to us.

-Tanaka

An Excerpt of an Article Published by Captain Takeda Hitomi in a National Paper, 1874
"On the Korean Question"
I must preface this by saying, quite clearly, that I am an apolitical man. My family and the men I have served under and alongside can both attest strongly to this claim. The argument that is about to follow these words will be based on the needs of Japan as a modern community in the world, rather than on solely political principles.

The question of Korea has been a hot-button topic in not only the higher echelons of government, but even among the intelligentsia and educated men of the nation. The debate has centered around what the relationship between Japan and Korea should be; and how such a relationship should be built. The various debates from men of the Diet, men of the Privy Council, and even men of the military and of the schools center around the economic, political, and even military benefits of each possible way to go about establishing a strong relationship with the Korean government. In keeping with my writings of the past six years, I feel it only prudent to tie this into the argument I have been making for some time.

The Japanese Empire will require, both in the eyes of the other many empires and nations of the world and in the objective eyes of our government officials and His Majesty's subjects, a great many overseas possessions both to accrue international prestige and to solidify and grow the economic basis of the nation. Perhaps the most immediate and obvious place to look for such a thing is, naturally, the Korean peninsula. Korea holds within its depths a great many resources, to fuel the growing industries here on the Home Islands; and she maintains a great population, which will bolster and help grow production levels here and wherever-else we may also expand. I made this point some years ago, and was only recently supported by my superior, Admiral Unryu, in this claim.

Korea presents an absolutely unique situation to us: she is alone in this world as regards diplomacy; her army and navy are both inferior to ours; she has within her borders a great number of resources and people, which can grow native Japanese industries and local economies; and she will help improve the view of Japan in the eyes of the other great European powers. Should an expedition be launched to this peninsula, we would be almost assured total victory over the local government, and our hegemony over the whole peninsula would be absolute and incontestable. Furthermore, the acquisition of such resources will improve the general welfare of His Majesty's most noble subjects, and will improve the nation's capability of both defending itself from external threats and of continuing expansion abroad in the near future.

Thus, the answer to the Korean question is both simple and absolute: swift action must be taken, carried out in perfect harmony between the Army and Navy, to effect total control of the Imperial government over the Korean peninsula across the sea.

Perhaps it shall be that, in my lifetime, a man will rise, and it shall be he who dismisses the unflinching establishment. Until that time, I say nothing more than that the Privy Council would do well to cease with new appointments altogether, as the partisan climate which has developed within its hall is seemingly in direct conflict not only with its establishing principles, but also with the fundamental constructs of the Constitution- which, itself, forms one of three great pillars which this nation is built upon. It is my personal advice in a non-judicial capacity that the Privy Council pursue a static structure until its partisan issues are fully resolved. I still stand, however, for the proposal of legislation which would separate the institution of Privy Council and Prime Minister, wherein a Privy Councillor may not act in both capacities at any one time.

Lord Justice Satake Yoshizane

In regards to honourable Count Hosokawa asking for statements and opinions about a potential war against Korea:

I think that the participation of Korean troops in the traitorous Matsui's attempted invasion is an act of hostility against the Empire and the Emperor. That action should not go unpunished, or else it would stain the reputation of Japan.
Furthermore, Japan needs to prove itself as an important player in the international stage. The Empire is not viewed seriously as the modern and strong nation that it is. Invasion, and possible annexation of Korea would bring Japan the international prestige and recognition it deserves. Controlling Korea would not be a relationship of exploitation: both peoples would enjoy Japanese control: Japan could use the Korean resources to fuel its growing industry, and the Koreans, who are heavily influenced by the foreign Belgians would be presented a way to modernize while keeping its Asiatic traditions.

~ 西村浩、福岡の伯爵と財務大臣 Nishimura Hiroshi, Count of Fukuoka and Minister of Finance

((Declaration period for leadership of the NLP is now open. It will close in roughly 24 hours or so.))

Oshiro Kazuki slowly walks up to address the group of NLP members that has gathered to nominate its next leader.

Under my leadership, Japan has seen much growth in its industries and in its military. It is become an empire to be reckoned with and soon will be seen as one of the greatest powers in this world. My service to His Majesty and the Japanese people over this past decade has been greatly rewarding both to myself and to Japan. I wish to continue this leadership as we must now demonstrate our strength to the rest of the world by taking on the Koreans, who have harbored a terrorist who attempted to undermine our government and may have, in fact, aided him in doing so. I ask my fellow party members to support once again as leader of the NLP as we take on this new task.

~ Ōshiro Kazuki, Marquis of Okayama and Prime Minister of Japan

I believe that many of you are underestimating the strength of the Belgian Nanban. We have seen how badly our forces fared against tertiary nanban powers like the Turks, so I believe a war with Belgium could unleash great destruction. I hear they are led by a great warrior named Beauffort, who has vanquished many foes.

-Tanaka

Reactions:
((To other Loyalist Association members: are you all okay with me staying chairman?))

In regards to honourable Count Hosokawa asking for statements and opinions about a potential war against Korea:

I think that the participation of Korean troops in the traitorous Matsui's attempted invasion is an act of hostility against the Empire and the Emperor. That action should not go unpunished, or else it would stain the reputation of Japan.
Furthermore, Japan needs to prove itself as an important player in the international stage. The Empire is not viewed seriously as the modern and strong nation that it is. Invasion, and possible annexation of Korea would bring Japan the international prestige and recognition it deserves. Controlling Korea would not be a relationship of exploitation: both peoples would enjoy Japanese control: Japan could use the Korean resources to fuel its growing industry, and the Koreans, who are heavily influenced by the foreign Belgians would be presented a way to modernize while keeping its Asiatic traditions.

((Private Count Nishimurua)):

Although I agree that the Koreans sent troops to aid Matsui, is it wise to immediately assume that that was an act of hostility against us? How do we know that Matsui wasn't just blackmailing them into helping him? How do we know that our reputation has been stained because of our inaction? While I do agree that they should be punished somehow for aiding Matsui, do we really need to punish them with annexation (should not a simple indemnity or a cutting down to size suffice should diplomatic talks break down)? Remember the Imjin Wars where Toyotomi Hideyoshi, the man who helped set up the Tokugawa Shoguns, invaded Korea with the intention of attacking China? The Koreans fought back fiercely, and the Chinese intervened quickly. If we were to repeat that, something similar could possibly happen. It is not in the Empire's best interests to be dragged into a war on the mainland with China and Korea simultaneously. While we could most certainly push deep into Korea quickly, what the Chinese lack in technology they make up in numbers. Recall the sizes of their armies during the war with the British gaijin.
If we do annex them, would they welcome us as liberators? We have deprived them of their sovereignty, and why would they enjoy foreign control? To them, we will have become like the gaijin, pushing our culture upon them. Would that be as bad as what the Belgians are doing currently? Would we gain prestige from the conquest? Some would see us as land-hungry conquerors, eager to conquer everything in sight; I have heard the Americans and British are reading books on the "Yellow Peril." This would only reinforce their fears.
And remember that we were heavily influenced by both the Spanish and the Americans before we modernized, and we still kept our traditions. Can the Koreans and the Chinese not do likewise?
Also, why can't we just avoid all of this and launch an invasion of Indonesia? It has all of the resources we need and is directly administered by gaijin, removing the problem of an Asian nation to conquer. Then we will be granted the prestige we deserve, as we have shown that we can defeat the gaijin in a one-on-one fight.

I urge you to please reconsider your words. My apologies if I have ranted too much.
~Sakamoto Naotari, Prince of Kanto and Leader of the Opposition

((Private UH Members))

I see no issues with our current economic system and even welcome the possibility that the government may step in and support an ailing industry. Despite this I am sure or leader has many legitimate reasons for his decision, as such I will abstain from the vote to change our economic policy.

Internal UH vote to change economic policies from State Capitalism to Lassiez Faire: Abstain

~ Hajamoto Yoshihiro; Owner of the Japanese Liquor Company, Owner of the Southern Lumber Company, Proud Member of Unity & Honour.

Also, why can't we just avoid all of this and launch an invasion of Indonesia?

((Your character has already been made aware, by mine, that the Dutch are currently part of the German sphere.))

((To other Loyalist Association members: are you all okay with me staying chairman?))

((Private Count Nishimurua)):

Although I agree that the Koreans sent troops to aid Matsui, is it wise to immediately assume that that was an act of hostility against us? How do we know that Matsui wasn't just blackmailing them into helping him? How do we know that our reputation has been stained because of our inaction? While I do agree that they should be punished somehow for aiding Matsui, do we really need to punish them with annexation (should not a simple indemnity or a cutting down to size suffice should diplomatic talks break down)? Remember the Imjin Wars where Toyotomi Hideyoshi, the man who helped set up the Tokugawa Shoguns, invaded Korea with the intention of attacking China? The Koreans fought back fiercely, and the Chinese intervened quickly. If we were to repeat that, something similar could possibly happen. It is not in the Empire's best interests to be dragged into a war on the mainland with China and Korea simultaneously. While we could most certainly push deep into Korea quickly, what the Chinese lack in technology they make up in numbers. Recall the sizes of their armies during the war with the British gaijin.
If we do annex them, would they welcome us as liberators? We have deprived them of their sovereignty, and why would they enjoy foreign control? To them, we will have become like the gaijin, pushing our culture upon them. Would that be as bad as what the Belgians are doing currently? Would we gain prestige from the conquest? Some would see us as land-hungry conquerors, eager to conquer everything in sight; I have heard the Americans and British are reading books on the "Yellow Peril." This would only reinforce their fears.
And remember that we were heavily influenced by both the Spanish and the Americans before we modernized, and we still kept our traditions. Can the Koreans and the Chinese not do likewise?
Also, why can't we just avoid all of this and launch an invasion of Indonesia? It has all of the resources we need and is directly administered by gaijin, removing the problem of an Asian nation to conquer. Then we will be granted the prestige we deserve, as we have shown that we can defeat the gaijin in a one-on-one fight.

I urge you to please reconsider your words. My apologies if I have ranted too much.
~Sakamoto Naotari, Prince of Kanto and Leader of the Opposition

((Private: Prince Sakamoto))

Matsui was fleeing as a refugee to Korea after the Boshin War, he had no position to gather Korean soldiers other than to be given control over them by the Korean government as an act against our Empire. Japan is now a modern country with a rising role in the international stage. In foreign relations, inaction and ignoring issues is just as meaningful as an action: By not acting against the Koreans we show to the world that we are not strong enough to protect our sovereignty, even against the an undeveloped nation like Korea!
As for your underestimation of our Army: I am truly confident that we will manage, using our superiour technology, to beat Korea. Even if the Chinese somehow intervene, they would take a lot of time to bring all of their soldiers that are spanned through their enormous territory, end even if they do they will be poorly-trained, poorly-armed, and their numerical advantage will be eliminated if they try to break into the Korean peninsula while being bombarded by the Imperial Japanese Navy.
Your comparison between our processes of modernization and the Korean's submitting to foreigners is wrong: Japan was mostly uninfluenced by foreigners. Yes, there was a Spanish influence and a Spanish ambassador following the War of Matsui's Folly, but it was very brief. After the agreement with commodore Perry, Japan was, at least technically, considered as in the American sphere, but their influence was minimal and ended when they were too busy in their own civil war. Korea, on the other hand, has for long been influenced by the Americans, and recently the Belgians.
I hope your proposal to declare a war for Indonesia is not serious. We have no real reason to fight against the Dutch, and no wish to fight against the German Empire, which we have strong ties to and they are allied to the Netherlands.

((Private: Prince Sakamoto))

Matsui was fleeing as a refugee to Korea after the Boshin War, he had no position to gather Korean soldiers other than to be given control over them by the Korean government as an act against our Empire. Japan is now a modern country with a rising role in the international stage. In foreign relations, inaction and ignoring issues is just as meaningful as an action: By not acting against the Koreans we show to the world that we are not strong enough to protect our sovereignty, even against the an undeveloped nation like Korea!
As for your underestimation of our Army: I am truly confident that we will manage, using our superiour technology, to beat Korea. Even if the Chinese somehow intervene, they would take a lot of time to bring all of their soldiers that are spanned through their enormous territory, end even if they do they will be poorly-trained, poorly-armed, and their numerical advantage will be eliminated if they try to break into the Korean peninsula while being bombarded by the Imperial Japanese Navy.
Your comparison between our processes of modernization and the Korean's submitting to foreigners is wrong: Japan was mostly uninfluenced by foreigners. Yes, there was a Spanish influence and a Spanish ambassador following the War of Matsui's Folly, but it was very brief. After the agreement with commodore Perry, Japan was, at least technically, considered as in the American sphere, but their influence was minimal and ended when they were too busy in their own civil war. Korea, on the other hand, has for long been influenced by the Americans, and recently the Belgians.
I hope your proposal to declare a war for Indonesia is not serious. We have no real reason to fight against the Dutch, and no wish to fight against the German Empire, which we have strong ties to and they are allied to the Netherlands.

((Private Nishimura))
As for Indonesia, I have no wish of attacking the Dutch while they are in the German sphere; the Germans are our friends, right? I am not advocating for any war at this point; I'll leave that up to the others to decide.
On Korea, you bring up some good points, yet I shall stay with my beliefs. I only see a problem with the annexation of Korea; as I have said, they are our Asian brothers. What do you do to a brother who's stepped out of line? You don't kill him and take his stuff, you sternly reprimand him and cut him down to size.

~Sakamoto

((I wish to announce my resignation from this game due to the current state of affairs, because of recent events, and because I frankly have less time to devote to the game. The Mori dynasty may be used by anyone while I am gone for I do not think it fair for me to keep them hostage. I can only hope that the players can compromise between each other and work together as I believe these games are very interesting when both sides must give up something. At this point I feel one side has taken too much and done less IC and has written less bills than the other side. I do indeed hope for this to be changed.

I will, however, like to say I do not mean any ill-intent to any of the players or naxhi. This is naxhi's first IAAR and I think he has done a good job considering the situation and is very good at listening to the players which is not difficult since we like to shout a lot of different things at him at once. I do not mean anything bad to the players even if the discussion may get heated at times, for I understand that they have reasons for their actions that I can assume are justified.

I'll be off now.))

((For Dadarian))
Railroad Entrepreneur

The railroad convention was a huge success! Railroad capitalists and businessmen from all across the world met in New York to discuss the tide of the railroad. People like Cornelius Vanderbilt spoke to the convention, but no other voice was as greatly anticipated as that of Uesugi Narinori. His speech echoed through the halls as a living testament to the ideals of railways and modernization. Without railroads, modernization would have never made it to where it was. Uesugi's speech brought large applause from the audience, and Vanderbilt even shook hands with Uesugi. The first Japanese official industrialist visit was a success. In order to show gratification for Uesugi making the trip to New York, a large railroad company had offered to gift Uesugi a large present for his works, a personal state-of-the-art railroad between Nigata and Kyoto! The railroad would be away from the main lines used by civilians, and it would only be managed by Uesugi. The only question that remains is what Uesugi wants to use it for:

Option A: I shall use it for the progress of Japanese Rails! (+1 Technology in Railroad)

Option B: I shall use it for the nobility...at a price... (Gives you "Noble Rails" bonus)

Option C: I shall use it for myself and myself only! (Gives you "Personal Rails" bonus)

Noble Rails
Definition: These new rails are used by nobles to escort them into the country-side, giving the owner some props in the upper-class
Ability: Grants +2 VP in Privy Council votes.
Duration: Until Character's Death.

Personal Rails
Definition: This user has his own personal rail, which he uses to speedily get between his home and capital, and is the envy of the nation
Ability: Grants +2 VP in basic votes.
Duration: Until Character's Death.

Pre-Election of 1873

National Liberal Party
Prime Ministerial Candidate: Ōshiro Kazuki
Competing Nationally
Policies: Free Trade/Interventionism/Jingoism/Pluralism/Limited Citizenship

((No Speech))

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unity and Honor
Prime Ministerial Candidate: Uesugi Narinori

Competing Nationally
Policies: Laissez Faire | Protectionism | Pacifism | Moralism | Residency

Cultural Traditionalism, Monarchism, and Pacifism is the focus of the Unity and Honor Campaign

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Loyalist Association
Prime Ministerial Candidate: Sakamoto Naotari
Competing in Kansai, Shikoku and Kanto
Polices: Protectionism/State Capitalism/Pluralism/Limited Citizenship/Pro-Military

((No Speech))

The Kamikaze Party
Prime Ministerial Candidate: Nishimura Hiroshi
Competing in Kansai ((Joint Ticket with the Nat-Libs))
Policies: Free Trade/Laissez Faire/Pluralism/Residency/Jingoism

"Japanese!

We are facing another election, one that will deal with serious issues. Our proud nation shall not let the Korean treason slide! We continue to run in this election in a alliance with the National-Liberals - An alliance which proved most useful in increasing the prosperity of Japan. The next ministry will be challenge with difficult challenges - including handling proper reaction to the Korean treason, and continuing the policies of free trade which enable our industry to flourish.

For the glory and prosperity of Japan - vote Kamikaze!

天皇陛下万歳 Long Live the Emperor!"

Radical Progress Party
Prime Ministerial Candidate: Takuma Kokuta

Competing in Kyushu
Policies: State Capitalism | Protectionism | Pacifism | Secularism | Full Citizenship

"To the People of Japan.
It has been a decade after the Imperialist Forces defeated the Shogunate forces at Edo, ending the Boshin War. The Imperials, lead by Date Munenari, promised to end the obstruction of progress, freedom, and prosperity by the corrupted Shogun and his Rōjū, yet in this decade the progress they have encouraged only benefited those, having learned nothing of the Boshin War, who seek to end their fellow man [...] yet in this decade the ancient right of freedom, the right to walk your own path, a right given to all who walk this earth, has only been returned to the commanders who send thousands of Japanese into a death as useless as it was tragic [...] yet in this decade the prosperity brought to us by a government not fearing the path of progress Japan was destined to walk has only benefited those former commanders and lords, famed for their inability to learn from decades of past mistakes, who now control a government, no a clique, fearing not the path of progress, but the people who brought them to power, on whose backs their decadence can prosper.

People of Japan, your legendary honor and sense of duty is famed across the globe, you have already risen in one life time to destroy a decadent and corrupt system obstructing progress, freedom, and prosperity, is it not your duty to your village, to your family and your honor to rise up once again against a corrupt clique? For never can there be true progress, when Date and his clique put death of their fellow man above a better life of their countrymen [...] for never there can be true freedom, when Date and his clique derive all power from a bourgeoisie sickened with lack of morals and an abundance of greed [...] for never there can be true prosperity, when Date and his clique see prosperity of the people not as a goal, but as a means to secure even more power. For it are not men like Date Munenari who destroyed the Shogunate, it are not men like Date Munenari who can bring progress, prosperity and freedom to Japan, it is us! Thus, People of Japan, rise up once again, armed with honor, sense of duty and the new world in your heart and mind,Tame noShinchoku, Jiyū to Han'ei!"

------------------------------------------------
Player Actions Needed: Please Vote for either the National Liberals (NLP), the Unity and Honor Party (UH), The Loyalist Association (LA), The Radical Progress Party (RPP), or The Kamikaze Party (KAP) for seats in the Imperial Diet. Bold your votes.

Sample Ballot:

Party: NLP/UH/LA/RPP/KAP/Independent

[Specialty]
[Economic Bonus (If Applicable)]
[Bonus (If Applicable)]

Voting ends Monday at 9:00 PM EST or Tuesday at 1:00 AM GMT. Bold your votes.

mrlifeless gets the economic bonus of +3

Last edited: