• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Military Logistics Survey 1871
From The Office of Admiral Unryu

The following is a survey of the men and materials required to build the factories to build the materials needed to build the factories needed to build the weapons and supplies of the Japanese military of the future. If the Empire is ever in a major war with Western powers, the a supply chain independent of the global market will be necessary. Some raw materials will not be able to be gathered in Japan and will necessitate access to colonies with such resources as tropical wood and oil, as well as a navy powerful enough to keep the maritime supply lines between the colonies and the home islands open.

The next generation of ships of the line ((Battleships)
- Steamer Convoy (Steamer Shipyard Factory)
----- Coal (Coal Mine RGO)
----- Steel (Steel Factory)
---------- Coal (Coal Mine RGO)
---------- Iron (Iron Mine RGO)
- Artillery (Artillery Factory)
----- Explosives (Explosives Factory)
---------- Fertilizer (Fertilizer Factory)
-------------------- Sulphur (Sulphur Mine RGO)
---------- Ammunition (Ammunition Factory)
-------------------- Sulphur (Sulphur Mine RGO)
-------------------- Iron (Iron Mine RGO)
- Canned Food (Canned Food Factory)
----- Fish (Fishing Wharf RGO)
----- Cattle (Cattle Ranch RGO)
----- Grain (Grain Farm RGO)
----- Iron (Iron Mine RGO)
- Coal (Coal Mine RGO)
The next generation of frigates ((Cruisers))
- Steamer Convoy
- Artillery
- Canned Food
- Fuel (Fuel Refinery Factory)
----- Oil (Oil Rig RGO)
Soldiers and Officers
- Fish (Fishing Wharf RGO)
- Wool (Sheep Ranch RGO)
- Grain (Grain Farm RGO)
- Fruit (Orchard RGO)
- Cattle (Cattle Ranch RGO)
- Tea (Tea Plantation RGO)
- Liquor (Liquor Distillery Factory)
----- Glass (Glass Factory)
----- Grain (Grain Farm RGO)
- Small Arms (Small Arms Factory)
----- Ammunition (Ammunition Factory)
---------- Sulphur (Sulphur Mine RGO)
- Coal (Coal Mine RGO)
- Regular Clothes (Regular Clothes Factory)
----- Fabric (Fabric Factory)
---------- Cotton (Cotton Plantation RGO)
---------- Dye (Dye Factory)
- Ammunition (Ammunition Factory)
---------- Sulphur (Sulphur Mine RGO)
- Furniture (Furniture Factory)
----- Timber (Timber Lodge RGO)
----- Lumber (Lumber Mill Factory)
- Coffee (Coffee Plantation RGO)
- Tobacco (Tobacco Plantation RGO)
- Paper (Paper Mill Factory)
- Fuel (Fuel Factory)
----- Oil (Oil Rig RGO)
- Furniture (Furniture Factory)
----- Lumber (Lumber Mill Factory)
---------- Timber (Timber Lodge RGO)
- Glass (Glass Factory)
- Luxury Furniture (Luxury Furniture Factory)
----- Regular Furniture
----- Tropical Wood (Tropical Wood Lodge)
- Opium (Opium Plantation RGO)
- Luxury Clothes (Luxury Clothes Factory)
----- Regular Clothes (Regular Clothes Factory)
----- Silk (Silkworm Ranch RGO)
- Wine (Winery Factory)
----- Fruit (Orchard RGO)
----- Glass (Glass Factory)
Building Factories
- Cement (Cement Factory)
- Coal (Coal Mine RGO)
- Iron (Iron Mine RGO)
- Machine Parts (Machine Parts Factory)
- Steel (Steel Factory)
- Timber (Timber Lodge RGO)
Building Railroads
- Steel (Steel Factory)
Building Forts
- Small Arms (Small Arms Factory)
- Artillery (Artillery Factory)
- Explosives (Explosives Factory)
- Lumber (Lumber Mill Factory)
Building Naval Bases
- Steel (Steel Factory)
- Machine Parts (Machine Parts Factory)
- Lumber (Lumber Mill Factory)

Addendum: A breakdown of resources that are found and are not found in Japan.
RGO's: (bolded are resources we possess)
Coal (Coal Mine RGO)
Iron (Iron Mine RGO)
Sulphur (Sulphur Mine RGO)
Fish (Fishing Wharf RGO)

Cattle (Cattle Ranch RGO)
Grain (Grain Farm RGO)
Oil (Oil Rig RGO)
Wool (Sheep Ranch RGO)
Fruit (Orchard RGO)
Tea (Tea Plantation RGO)
Cotton (Cotton Plantation RGO)
Timber (Timber Lodge RGO)
Coffee (Coffee Plantation RGO)
Tobacco (Tobacco Plantation RGO)
Opium (Opium Plantation RGO)
Silk (Silkworm Ranch RGO)
Tropical Wood (Tropical Wood Lodge)
Precious Metal

((PC only))

I shall change my vote to No.

~Sakamoto

[Prince]
[Politician]
[Conqueror Legacy +3]

((Private - PC))

Seat Count Nishimura on the Privy Council?: Aye

[Marquis]

~ Ōshiro Kazuki, Marquis of Okayama and Prime Minister of Japan

After some interesting and revealing discussions with the Lord M(o/u)ri, I must vote against the ascension of Count Nishimura to the Privey Council. A dedicated warmonger, he would only seek to convince the Emperor to kill as many of his sons as possible away from their homes.

Furthermore, his removal of economic tariffs dedicated solely to the protection of domestic industry and progress is irresponsible. I cannot in good mind vote for a man who would do nothing but attempt to corrupt the mind of the Emperor.

((Seat Count Nishimura on the Privy Council?: Abstain -> No

[Marquis]))

As we move further and further along the train of industrialization we most pray to the Emperor and to the Kami that we may retain our purity. As the Liberal agitators continue to dominate our politics we see sacrilegious reforms forced through. In the interest of all Nippon and her people I have decided to take the following actions:

I: My Liquor Distillery in Chubu will be Upgraded. [-$8,950]
II: My Glass Factory in Kyushu shall be Renovated. [-$7,390]
III: I will Found the Japanese Liquor Company, I will be Owner/Chairman of this Company as well as own 100% of the Shares.
IV: My Glass Factory and My Liquor Distillery will be Sold to the Japanese Liquor Corporation.
V: I will Apply for a Loan equating to $24,000. [+$24,000 {DEBT}]
VI: I will begin Construction of a Lumber Mill in Chugoku. [-$8,220]
VII: I will begin Construction of a Lumber Mill in Shikoku. [-$8,220]
VIII: I will Found the Southern Lumber Company, I will be Owner/Chairman of this Company as well as own 100% of the Shares.
IX: An Offer will be Sent to Kusaribe Kinzo, the Southern Lumber Company will be willing to Sell 40% of its Profits each Year for the Chugoku Furniture Factory. If this offer is accepted Kinzo-san will have some say in how the Southern Lumber Company proceeds in regards to its industrial assets.
X: I will begin Construction of a Fabric Factory in Kanto. [-$7,160]
XI: I will begin Construction of a Cement Factory in Kyushu. [-$2,720]
The Approximated Cost of these Measures is $42,660 leaving me with circa $1,926 in Cash and $24,000 in Debt.

XII: I will Propose the following Act to our Emperor's Imperial Diet:
株主セキュリティ法
Kabanushi Sekyuriti-ho​
The Shareholder Security Act

I. A National Pricing Agency will be created with the purpose of:
a. Maintaining a comprehensive list of official companies, industries and shareholders.
b. Ensuring the safe transfer of shares between shareholders.
c. Controlling the flow of capital between industries in Japan.
d. Preventing fraud or other economic crimes from occurring in Japan.

II. The NPA will have the right to assess the assets of any entity in Japan, this includes:
a. Searching or Inspecting any property with or without the permission of the owner.
b. Questioning employees about their wages, employment conditions, etc; this overrides any contract between employee and employer.

III. The NPA will supervise the investment of capital and transfer of shares. This includes the ability to:
a. Grant the right to invest in Japanese Industries.
b. Ban foreigners from investing in Japanese Industries.
c. Publish any information regarding the transfer of shares or investment in Japanese Industries
d. Grant loans or subsidies for the transfer of shares or investment in Japanese Industries.

V. The NPA will maintain a comprehensive list of official companies, industries and shareholders.
The list will be updated each election; listing the assets, profits and ownership of each Company.

VI. One share is 1% ownership of a Company. The share price is calculated by the following formula: The Total Value of a Companies Assets x 0.01.

V. To ensure that the NPA fulfills its purpose and nothing else it will:
a. Remain completely transparent, disclose all votes and the evidence behind each case.
b. Be governed by a Board of 5 members: the Richest Economist, the 2nd Richest Economist, the Poorest Economist, the Finance Minister and the Commerce Minister.

~ Hajamoto Yoshihiro; Owner of the Japanese Liquor Company, Owner of the Southern Lumber Company, Proud Member of Unity & Honour, Second Richest Economist.

((PC only))

Nishumura to PC?: Yes

~ Date Munenari ((insert titles here))

[Prince]
[All kinds of bonuses that may or may not count that total +5 or something]
[Militarist]

IX: An Offer will be Sent to Kusaribe Kinzo, the Southern Lumber Company will be willing to Sell 40% of its Profits each Year for the Chugoku Furniture Factory. If this offer is accepted Kinzo-san will have some say in how the Southern Lumber Company proceeds in regards to its industrial assets.

I do not see a way to make this deal work that is fair to both parties. I must decline.

- Kusaribe

((Private-Privy Council))

May I ask the liberals why they are unsatisfied with the current state of the Privy Council? At present there is an equal amount of Privy Councilors from each of the two ideologies which reside in Japan. Why then, should we break up this balance? My fellow Privy Councilors who have voted for seating Nishumura on the Privy Council have not given sufficient reason for seating someone who has done so little for Japan. I believe that there is reason is solely partisan. Now I know that it is most likely my fellow Privy Councilors believe I act in a partisan matter, but I do not. I will present reasons for my vote, which is something I can not say for all of my fellow councilors.

Count Nishumura has indeed accomplished very little in his time. I have served as Daijo-Daijin for twenty years, Lord Oshiro is the Prime Minister, the Foreign Secretary was a long serving member on the now defunct Roju, Lord Uesugi is also a former member of that Roju and accomplished pacifist, and Princes Sakamoto and Date were successful generals in the civil war.

Where does Lord Nishumura fit in with these staggering statesmen? He is but merely the Minister of Finance. He has not shown himself capable of being on the most prestigious advisory body in Japan. If we put every Minister of Finance on the Privy Council, then why was the late Lord Tanabe not offered a spot as well? He too was a Minister of Finance, and in fact he had served on the defunct Roju in addition to his role as Minister of Finance. So what makes Lord Nishumura so special? Nothing I say for he is only a Minister of Finance.

Until those who voted for the seating of Nishumura can give a solid reason for why Lord Nishumura is so accomplished that he deserves to be on the Privy Council then one can only assume that they are engaging in partisan politics. Which not surprising given the lack of the word "compromise" in the vocabulary of the government.

- Count Mori Takachika

Oshiro (1871-1873): Boom and More Boom

The start of the new decade of the 1870s saw Japan at relative peace within its government. Not much was done in the Diet, for no real bills were being passed. However, the story on the Privy Council was different. The privy council was divided almost in two between traditionalists and national-liberals. The traditionalists, Prince Sakamoto, Count Mori, and Marquis Uesugi were opposing the national-liberals; Prince Date, Marquis Oshiro, and Count Hosokawa. The topic of debate was the inclusion of Count Nishimura, the leader of the Kamikaze Party. Most considered Nishimura a very good candidate for the position of privy councilor. He was the brains behind Operation Divine Wind, the winning strategy of the Boshin War, and he served as Minister of Finance for the past four years. However, Count Mori began to disagree with this notion, stating that Nishimura as a government minister should not have a place on the PC for that reason. The Kamikaze was in-line with the National-Liberal Party, and the three traditionalists considered this a threat to the balance of power on the Privy Council. However, the National Liberals voted to put Nishimura on. Prince Date, bedridden by a disease, even managed to suck up his pain and vote. In the end, the vote was tied, with three men for, and three men against. This deadlock would have to be broken by Emperor Meiji. The now 21 year old Emperor, who recently dismissed his regent, took the arguments of both sides into account. Nishimura was indeed an asset during the Boshin War, and his service should be recognized. However, it would disturb the balance of the Privy Council. Yet, Meiji saw Nishimura as a wildcard, a man who could easily go to one side or the other if debates on the PC got political. So he decided to appoint Nishimura to the Privy Council ((EmperorBasilius is now a seated Privy Councilor)). Of course this angered many conservatives in both the Diet and in the population.

fcnc3RB.jpg

(A conservative political cartoon showing "Lady Liberal" influencing Meiji)

The economy though continued to grow. Industry was on the rise thanks to three men during the age of modernization. Kishiwada Yukio greatly expanded his production quota for Sake, and expanded into the production of glass. He organized a paper mill, and a factory for fabric. Hajamoto Yoshihiro expanded into the wood industry. Two lumber mills and a furniture factory were built under his watch, and he organized the first official corporation of Japan into a large lumber production corporation. Kusaribe Kinzo would take an even bigger risk and expand his assets into the fields of fabric, and continued the expansion of his luxury clothes industry. He turned down a deal from Hajamoto to have the two come together for the purpose of industry. Kusaribe had begun to have a reputation as a man who risked it all for the hopes of profit. Tanabe Shinzou though, would not see his steel industry increased. He died earlier in 1870, and his factory was sold to the government by his son, Tanabe Shinzou II.

zj0TkKf.jpg

(A Japanese logging group floating logs down the stream to the mill)

In foreign affairs, a crisis boiled over into all out war. Greece has been a hotbed of conflict for years. Russia had been trying to coerce the Ottoman Empire into handing over more land to Greece. Yet at every turn, Russia was opposed by the Germans and the British. Crisis at this point usually resulted in white peace. Not this one. War started in earnest, and Russia soon found itself on the opposition of a huge offensive. One nation in particular that joined with Russia was Belgium. Belgium had sphered its way into Korea, exerting its influence on the peninsular. Belgium also invested heavily into the creation of railroads in Japan. Perhaps with Belgium occupied by conflict, Japan can take its first steps in getting retribution from Korea for the actions of letting Matsui Ichiro return to Japan.

AIv4mK4.jpg

(Greek War Propaganda was very similar to what was used during the 1821 revolution)

The United States was neutral in this whole crisis. It had its own special event though as well. It hosted a railroad convention in upstate New York, and invited Marquis Uesugi Narinori to the event to speak on Japan's innovation with rails. Uesugi gladly accepted, and went to New York to speak. His speech would be one of great importance for the future of Japan. He spoke about how Japan's railroads are a symbol of how far Japan has come as a primitive nation to a nation of industrial might. He spoke about how the railroad was the key to Japan's prosperity in the future. Perhaps his speech would be a sign of the progression of Japan's economy from a feudal one to a industrial one.

Nonetheless, election season was coming fast. It was time for the great political minds of Japan to come together to run for government. Would the National-Liberals see victory again, or would the opposition finally see a victory? One interesting development was the creation of the region of Hokkaido. Hokkaido was now finally a legitimate part of Japan. Perhaps with the 12 seats it is offering, the parties could expand their influence.

-------------------------------
Player Actions Needed: We have entered into the pre-election cycle. Manage your parties, select your leaders, determine where you want to run, and have a platform submitted to me. You have three days, till 9:00 PM EST on Saturday or 1:00 AM GMT on Sunday.

Last edited:
The Unity and Honour Party shall continue to operate nationally to represent all pacifists in the nation.

xmTKTGj.png

01OW6TH.png

UdzGyOr.png

oTrHQJq.png

TCQmfho.png

Ifb9Xx0.png

5eDchQL.png

Mou9Ce4.png

keFLCoJ.png

ISoSUHV.png

SxxEgpL.png

dRLnFXb.png

14gweBg.png

l2PjNWE.png

ZyOhSIF.png

Lj8tMAy.png

aW1g4DL.png

VYSi4xu.png

mB4hGWF.png

Industrial Wealth

Hajamoto Yoshihiro ((liefwarrior)):
Profit: 29564
Earned: 27638
Debt: 26400

Kishiwada Yukio ((mrlifeless)):
Profit: 40575
Earned: 39712
Debt: 0

Akio Chosokame ((Luftwafer)):
Profit: 6340
Earned: 2534
Debt: 11000

Kusaribe Kinzo ((Keinwyn)):
Profit: 35488
Earned: 34493
Debt: 27500

mrlifeless is the richest economist, and earns the +3. Sadly, with TJDS changing classes, we no longer have 5 economists, so liefwarrior does not get the +2.

Last edited:
My fellow Japanese,

I believe the time has come for us to reconsider our policy towards our immediate neighbour, Korea. I have no desire to see our nation embroiled in any European Wars, and in light of the recent conflict involving our good friends, the Empire of the Germans and Korea's own allies, the Belgians, I believe that the maintenance our alliance with Korea will, in the long run, do Japan much more harm than good, especially if Korea chooses to involve herself in this Russo-German conflict. hence, it is my decision to dissolve this alliance.

I believe the time has also come for the people and parties of Japan to have a frank and open debate over the issue of Seikanron: the annexation of Korea by Japan. I do not wish to advocate a particular stance at this point in time - that, given my position, would present a conflict of interest - but I would like to see Japan's statesmen from all parties expressing a view on what should be done in regards to this most pressing of issues.

-- Hosokawa-dono

My fellow Japanese,

I believe the time has come for us to reconsider our policy towards our immediate neighbour, Korea. I have no desire to see our nation embroiled in any European Wars, and in light of the recent conflict involving our good friends, the Empire of the Germans and Korea's own allies, the Belgians, I believe that the maintenance our alliance with Korea will, in the long run, do Japan much more harm than good, especially if Korea chooses to involve herself in this Russo-German conflict. hence, it is my decision to dissolve this alliance.

I believe the time has also come for the people and parties of Japan to have a frank and open debate over the issue of Seikanron: the annexation of Korea by Japan. I do not wish to advocate a particular stance at this point in time - that, given my position, would present a conflict of interest - but I would like to see Japan's statesmen from all parties expressing a view on what should be done in regards to this most pressing of issues.

-- Hosokawa-dono

War is needless and serves no purpose then killing the future of this great nation. The Korean Expedition will serve only but to create conditions whereas Japanese men die by terrorists and anarchists away from home.

Furthermore, the Unity and Honour Party will be holding an internal discussion of the feasibility of switching it's economic stance from State Capitalism to Lassiez Faire.

((Internal UH vote to change economic policies from State Capitalism to Lassiez Faire: Yes))

aCk5pn3.png

Kyūshintō - Radical Progress Party - 急進党
Shinchoku! - Progress! - 進捗!

State Capitalism - Protectionism - Secularism - Full Citizenship - Pacifism
Socialism - Communalism - Pro-Reform

To the People of Japan.

It has been a decade after the Imperialist Forces defeated the Shogunate forces at Edo, ending the Boshin War. The Imperials, lead by Date Munenari, promised to end the obstruction of progress, freedom, and prosperity by the corrupted Shogun and his Rōjū, yet in this decade the progress they have encouraged only benefited those, having learned nothing of the Boshin War, who seek to end their fellow man [...] yet in this decade the ancient right of freedom, the right to walk your own path, a right given to all who walk this earth, has only been returned to the commanders who send thousands of Japanese into a death as useless as it was tragic [...] yet in this decade the prosperity brought to us by a government not fearing the path of progress Japan was destined to walk has only benefited those former commanders and lords, famed for their inability to learn from decades of past mistakes, who now control a government, no a clique, fearning not the path of progress, but the people who brought them to power, on whose backs their decadence can prosper.

People of Japan, your legendary honour and sense of duty is famed across the globe, you have already risen in one life time to destroy a decadent and corrupt system obstructing progress, freedom, and prosperity, is it not your duty to your village, to your family and your honour to rise up once again against a corrupt clique? For never can there be true progress, when Date and his clique put death of their fellow man above a better life of their countrymen [...] for never there can be true freedom, when Date and his clique derive all power from a bourgeoisie sickined with lack of morals and an abundance of greed [...] for never there can be true prosperity, when Date and his clique see prosperity of the people not as a goal, but as a means to secure even more power. For it are not men like Date Munenari who destroyed the Shogunate, it are not men like Date Munenari who can bring progress, prosperity and freedom to Japan, it is us! Thus, People of Japan, rise up once again, armed with honour, sense of duty and the new world in your heart and mind, Tame no Shinchoku, Jiyū to Han'ei!

((The RPP will operate in Kyushu))

Last edited:
((Japanese Freemason Socialists using Simplified Kanji that won't be invented for another fifty years or so? :p))