• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
An Excerpt from "The National Necessity" by Takeda Hitomi, published July 1868
Chapter 7: "The Vital Importance of the Southern Fleet, or the South Asian Squadron"
In the previous chapters I have covered the concepts of a modern Imperial Navy, the "battle ship", a battle fleet line, the importance of gunpowder weapons aboard military vessels, and several others; I need not presume you have not read these chapters. In this chapter, I will adopt a position that several of my colleagues would, perhaps, argue strongly against.

Japan's position within the greater East Asia region as a rising new military, economic, and political power is well understood, even across the oceans and outside of our borders. The significance of a modern economy under the regulation of the powerful, centralized state that is the Imperial government is recognized by the governments of Washington, Paris, London, Beijing, and even in Seoul. These foreign governments, varying in distance from our own state and in power relative to our own, understand the importance of overseas possessions -- particularly those in East Asia -- and the economic, political, and military benefits they provide. I feel that the Imperial Government, just in its goals and great in its power (granted by His Majesty the Emperor), has yet to come to such a realization.

The modern empire of the West -- and, indeed, any true Empire throughout history -- was built upon direct political and economic control of regions far removed from the imperial capital. Examine the Chinese dynasty of Han, for instance, which observed control (wavering throughout its existence) over the territories along the Silk Road and into previously unexplored lands to the North and South. The Roman Empire of Europe controlled the far-away lands of Britannia, the Nile, and the territories along the coast of the Black Sea, exploiting them for economic and military benefits -- that is, as a source of taxes and soldiers. Even our historical Imperial government almost a thousand years ago ruled the then-far away lands of Kyushu and of northern Honshu from the central imperial capital of Kyoto. Even today, the great French and British Empires, recognized throughout the world as the pre-eminent military, political, and economic powers, maintain colonial possessions along the vast coasts of Africa, in the Americas, and in Southeast Asia. The Spanish Empire of old collapsed because it did not have the proper naval capabilities to uphold its sovereignty over its colonies (along with the myriad policies of economic mismanagement they conducted). Even the new German Empire of central Europe plans to establish its own overseas empire through the use of a powerful, large, and modern navy.

The Japanese Empire is a nation that, though it presently experiences great economic prosperity, must establish the Emperor's sovereignty over the resources that drive the nation's economic boom. These resources, in a majority, can be found aplenty overseas. Further, for the Japanese Emperor to properly be recognized as the embodiment of Heaven by the various foreign powers, an overseas empire must be established. With this not only comes the respect afforded to all other nations, but the ability for Japan to further sustain its economic boom indefinitely. The chief requirement for establishing overseas possessions is, clearly, territories to be subjugated under the authority of the nation, which will be enforced by a properly supplied military. There are certainly many territories and peoples that can be subjugated -- or liberated from foreign powers, which would then supply the Empire with the resources it needs -- but there is not a properly strong military to carry out this policy of expansion and acquisition of territories.

A most strong and vast Imperial Navy will simply ensure that the Empire will be capable of acquiring the territories -- and thus, the resources -- it needs to remain both economically and politically solvent but also powerful. The Navy can effectively project the nation's power where the Army fails; and the Navy can fight conflicts fair away across great seas and oceans against both native populations and great imperial powers, which the army cannot do (except with the assistance of the Navy's transports). Thus it must be recognized that, for Japan to truly be the Empire it of right ought to be, it must maintain the fleet necessary to carry out such imperial policies overseas.

Final Tally:

Guide: Yes/No/Abstain

Education Improvement Act: 30/6/1
Passed
Martial Discipline Act: 21/11/5
Passed
Administrative Representation Act: 14/13/10
Passed
Management of Government Proposal: 12/26/0
Failed
Amended Japanese Identification Act: 24/13/0
Passed
Budget: 31/6/0

Passed

Making Satake Yoshizone a Federal Judge: 5/4/0
Satake is a Federal Judge

Last edited:
The Administrative Representation Act will better represent national character than previous schemes, as it will better represent the character of the Imperial Diet. Far from federalism, this will unite the local and central interest into a single harmonious system. I should note that it passed with only opposition support, not a single member of the government voted for it. That shows what the conservatives of the Diet are capable of when we are united.
- Admiral Unryu Raizo

Oshiro (1868-1871): Troubling Waters

The second term of Prime Minister Oshiro Kazuki began in earnest following the sweep to power by the National Liberals. Before the term could begin, bills were put on the table to be passed or failed by the Diet. An education reform by Sakamoto Naotari was received with great praised. Many consider Sakamoto's reform to be the key instrument in modernizing the education system. Japan now had easily one of the best education systems in the world. Sakamoto would be praised for modernizing the school system, from the left... You see, many conservatives and reactionaries, as well as some liberals, felt this reform was forced. Many citizens in Japan did not consent to higher taxes for a public school system, and many did not really like the fact that the tax was suddenly levied on them. Tax revenue was severely lower then it was the past few years, even with a bump in tax rates by the government. The people of Japan grew militant because of this new tax. Sakamoto's second proposal was met with bad responce as well. The Diet did not pass it, but this second proposal would have made it impossible for those of military statue to serve in the government as ministers. This did not happen, for many of the leaders of the National Liberals, as well as some of the most influential Diet members, were military individuals.

The Diet also passed a new amended Japanese Isolation Act. Count Mori felt that this newer version was better suited for the Diet, and that it was a better compromising bill. The ultimate example of this was when the Prime Minister voiced his support for the bill. An administrative reform was also put into effect, as well as a military discipline act. However this did not concern the government. Many government officials were not present when the events of the second term went down. Marquis Oshiro and Prince Date were away from Kyoto. The only man left who was able to manage government affairs would be Count Ito, the Minister of Transportation. The minister started off the term by building new railroads for the country. The country soon managed to successfully build its first transnational railroad in late 1870. The railroad stretched from Kagoshima in the South to Aomori in the North. It was truly a sign or progress for the people of Japan.

4843yfi.jpg

(Construction on the Trans-Japan Railroad)

Factories began to boom as well. Industry was rising at a pace never before seen before. Kishiwada Sake was rising tremendously. The factory was earning daily profits of 12,000 credits. It was the largest factory in Japan, and employed over 30,000 people. Hajamoto Yoshihiro was not one to be left in the dust. His new liquor factory in Chubu would utilize glass produced in Kyushu to make efficient bottles without the need for relying on foreign imports. Hajamoto was able to produce liquor at a much cheaper rate. Akio Chosokame would also see a rise in profit. Akio Munitions would be fueled by growing crisis in Greece, and his guns would sell pretty high on the market. Last, a new face appeared in Japanese Industry, Kusaribe Kinzo. His first move was a bold drive. He risked all his capital on two factories, a luxury clothes factory and a cement factory. Kinzo would see success, and his new western clothing factory would relabel Japanese fashion for all in the country. Old Daimyo robes would soon be replaced by classy western suits and ties.

nYBYmjD.jpg

(Women were the first to adopt the new fashion trends giving rise to the idea of women being the leaders in innovation and change)

In foreign news
, Japan would attend its first international convention. Countries flocked to Geneva Switzerland for a convention to establish the rules of warfare. The convention's objectives were clearly defined to make war less bloody and shorter. Japan would gladly sign the document. It wanted to show that it was an equal in the eyes of the world, and that Japan was indeed a power that can play by the same rules of the western world, and not some barbaric uncivilized state like it used to be.

Yet, there was trouble brewing. The Imperial Navy, a grand dream designed by Date Munenari, was crumbling. The limit of ships Japan could have was dwindling fast, and with so many ships ordered by the Ministry of War, the supply train could not handle it. The train could not supply all the ships. Attrition took its course on the ships as they began to rot and become old. Without supplies to replenish them, the ships soon began to suffer deteriation. Something needed to be done soon so that the Imperial Naval dream could survive...

jNoFhA8.jpg

(A Steamship)

--------------------------------
Player Actions Needed: I will give you all a day to propose stuff and whatnot before opening the vote.

Last edited:
BaxAD08.png

8rzazgs.png

QHOUxGt.png

IUJItxo.png

pcdRuc9.png

lmXk4cx.png

PPzTqLI.png

zTinz0R.png

DipMr4V.png

KJGqubq.png

oHuIhbk.png

cWnfgHi.png

fZ2BeQi.png

g3gzqCf.png

eTDvrCV.png

XucFMMR.png

adj1MbR.png

4BeuBSS.png

i3ypkUv.png

FffzQZG.png

9uvGu9v.png

Economist Wealth:

Tanabe Shinzou ((TJDS)):
Profit: 2,070 credits
Earned: 219 credits
Debt: 10,430 credits

Hajamoto Yoshihiro ((liefwarrior)):
Profit: 23,550 credits
Earned: 20586 credits
Debt: 0 credits

Kishiwada Yukio ((mrlifeless)):
Profit: 43,409 credits
Earned: 41,647 credits
Debt: 3,756 credits

Akio Chosokame ((luftwafer)):
Profit: 6,306 credits
Earned: 5,986 credits
Debt: 1,331 credits

Kusaribe Kinzo ((Keinwyn)):
Profit: 6,525 credits
Earned: 6,315 credits
Debt: 0 credits

mrlifeless is now the richest economist, and he gets the +3. However, since we now have 5 economy players, liefwarrior is now in the next 20%, and gets +2 VP for being the second richest economist.

Last edited:
If we leave the Imperial Navy to rot in the docks for much longer, we will leave Japan open to invasion from the gaijin! We must build up a strong navy so that we can protect our islands from them!

~Sakamoto

((Private: KAP))

My Lords Nishimura and Ito, whilst I initially had my reservations about your party's position, especially your alliance with the NLP, recent events have swept those concerns aside as the opposition's true nature as political liberals is revealed. I would therefore like to request membership of the Kamikaze Party, and offer my backing if you will have me.

Kusaribe Kinzo

If we leave the Imperial Navy to rot in the docks for much longer, we will leave Japan open to invasion from the gaijin! We must build up a strong navy so that we can protect our islands from them!

~Sakamoto

I think you misunderstand the crisis, Prince Sakamoto. The problem is not that our navy is not strong enough, it is that our navy is too big to support. Our navy is falling apart in our ports because we lack the supplies and material to maintain them all. Our options are either to downsize our navy, which would indeed threaten our defensive capabilities, or build up our supplies and infrastructure to support the current size of our navy. During the time that I stepped in for other ministers during their absence from Kyoto, I suggested to the Emperor that we seek methods to ensure our navy can be supported. I believe in time we may discover a way to supply our navy. ((I recommended to naxhi that we start researching raider group doctrine so we can upgrade our naval bases and support more ships during his playthrough.))

- Count Ito Katashi of Miyazaki

My Lords Nishimura and Ito, whilst I initially had my reservations about your party's position, especially your alliance with the NLP, recent events have swept those concerns aside as the opposition's true nature as political liberals is revealed. I would therefore like to request membership of the Kamikaze Party, and offer my backing if you will have me.

Kusaribe Kinzo

((Private: Kusaribe Kinzo and KAP))

It did not go unnoticed that you supported us during the last election. I would be glad to have you join us, but I shall leave the decision up to our leader, Count Nishimura.

Last edited:

Kusaribe Kinzo

Honourable Kusaribe Kinzo, you are welcomed as a member of our party. Together we will preserve the glory of Japan!

~ Nishimura Hiroshi

I think you misunderstand the crisis, Prince Sakamoto. The problem is not that our navy is not strong enough, it is that our navy is too big to support. Our navy is falling apart in our ports because we lack the supplies and material to maintain them all. Our options are either to downsize our navy, which would indeed threaten our defensive capabilities, or build up our supplies and infrastructure to support the current size of our navy. During the time that I stepped in for other ministers during their absence from Kyoto, I suggested to the Emperor that we seek methods to ensure our navy can be supported. I believe in time we may discover a way to supply our navy. ((I recommended to naxhi that we start researching raider group doctrine so we can upgrade our naval bases and support more ships during his playthrough.))

((Private: Kusaribe Kinzo and KAP))

It did not go unnoticed that you supported us during the last election. I would be glad to have you join us, but I shall leave the decision up to our leader, Count Nishimura.

Ah, I understand now. Hopefully we can find the means to sustain our navy effectively, and soon.

~Sakamoto

An Excerpt from a Speech Given by Commander Takeda Hitomi to the Imperial Diet, 1872
.... therefore it is with the greatest humility and with the greatest honor that I speak to the most esteemed members of the Imperial Diet today.

For some years I have campaigned vigorously and with all my energy for the expansion of the Imperial Navy to a point where it would be unmatched in the world in terms of size and power. The recent "crisis" regarding the failures of the navy's logistics to properly supply and maintain all of our ships and their crews has been attacked by some in the Diet as a cause to limit the Navy's size.

I have repeatedly -- since the publishing of my book The National Necessity in 1868 -- called for a grand expansion of our navy, so that it may compete with the other great navies of the world in both prestige and in actual battle. It is my humble yet strong opinion that says that downsizing the navy at a critical time in the nation's growth such as this would truly be foolish; and therefore I argue simply for the expansion of the navy's logistical system to a point where the current size of the fleet -- and the future fleet in the coming years -- will easily be supported, the ships maintained well, and the sailors fed and clothed properly.

.... and as the entirety of the last decade of my life has been devoted solely to serving His Majesty as a sailor in the Imperial Navy, I hope to best serve His Majesty and the nation by seeing to it that the shores of Nippon are protected by the greatest fleet her people can muster. If we are simply enslaved to the whims of "logistics" that men say cannot be improved, what makes us free from enslavement from the whims of the monarchs of the great foreign powers? If we are slaves to our fears, what is keeping us from being slaves to the foreigners? The only thing a man of Japan should be slave to is his heart, which is forever engorged with the love and unity which is provided by the benevolent rule of His Majesty the Emperor.

Federal Judge

((And they said Le Corbusier's plans wouldn't lead to Japan becoming a federal state. Ha! :p))

I think I speak not just for the peoples of Kyushu and Shikoku, but for all Japanese when I state that as an Island nation, Japan cannot afford to neglect its naval forces. I call upon the Ministers for War and for Education to act immediately in order to halt this pervasive rot which is eroding the strength of our wooden wall.

-- Hosokawa-dono, Geneva.

Viscount Tanabe Shinzō of Wakayama has died

Viscount Tanabe Shinzō of Wakayama, former Minister of Finance and Commerce, General in the Imperial Japanese Army and Elder for the Kansai region, died at the age of 65 in Tanabe Castle amidst close family and friends. Although a relatively minor National Liberal Minister and Party Leader, his death is expected to weaken the National Liberal Party in his home region and large swing state, Kansai, with expected loses to the Kamikaze Party and Loyalist Association. Viscount Tanabe Shinzō will be succeeded by his only son, Tanabe Shinzō, who is expected to resign from his command in the Imperial Japanese Army after the funeral.

156px-Hijikata_Toshizo.jpg

Jōin ginn Takuma Kokuta in 1861

Name: Takuma Kokuta 琢磨穀田

Born: May 1st, 1839, Nagasaki, Kyushu (32)
Titles: Kokkai giin of Nagasaki (since 1873), Leader of the Kyūshintō (since 1871),
Shigikai giin of Nagasaki (1871-1873), Jōin giin of the Ezo Republic (1861), Leader of the Gendai no kyōwatō (1861)
Speciality: Politician
Bio:

Takuma Kokuta, the youngest son of a samurai in service of the Yamamoto family, grew up as one of the few people in Japan who was allowed to study Rangaku or Dutch learning, where he studied everything from medicene to the steam engines of the first Japanese steam ship. Jan H. Donker Curtius, Leader of the Deshima outpost, and one of Takuma's closest friends in later years, saw Takuma's bright young mind and used his and Takuma's Samurai connections to send Takuma on a five year journey to the Netherlands, France and the United Kingdom, where Takuma first saw the Industrial Revolution and its effects on the lower classes. When Takuma returned to Japan, he found that it had entered the earliest stages of modernization and that Japan had polerized between predominantly liberal Imperial supporters and predomoniantly conservative Shogunate supporters, since Takuma supported neither side, he moved to Ezo to study the Ainu people and agrarian societies of the region least touched by westernazation and early industralization. After the defeat of the forces of the Shogunate forces at the Battle of Edo in 1861 at the hands of the unified Imperial Army, Admiral Enomoto Takeaki fled to the northern island of Ezo together with several thousand soldiers and a handful of French military advisors. There, after the Imperial Court declined the partition of Japan between a Tokugawa-led Ezo and Imperial-led South, Enomoto established the Republic of Ezo, with himself as Daitōryō, President, as elected by the small Samurai class present on the island. Takuma became the leader of the Gendai no kyōwatō, the Progressive and Republican faction, in the Jōin, Senate, where he advocated Peace with Japan and Modernization of Ezo (Ezo was not seen as a part of Japan until decades later). After the short lived Republic of Ezo fell to the Imperial Forces and Takuma completed his three year prison sentence, Takuma went into self imposed exile in Paris, where he would become a regular sight in debates across the city, which, after the Siege of Paris, saw the rise of Communards and the Paris Commune. Takuma became one of the few followers and friends of Georges Clemenceau in the Commune, the leader of the Radical Republicans, the most moderate group (Most moderate was still considered far left outside of Paris) of the Paris Commune, with whom he participated in demonstrations against the government and the French Army. When the Commune fell, Takuma returned to Nagasaki, where he led the new Kyūshintō, the left wing Radical Progress Party, to an astonashing victory in the Nagasaki municipal elections, which won 4 out of twelve seats - thus becoming the second largest party after the Kokuminjiyūtō - and 29,87% of the vote, which were mostly gained from the lower classes of the city. Although the Kyūshintō's support outside of Nagasaki is little, Takuma hopes to recieve enough support to compete in the 1873 General Election, so that the Kyūshintō can create a society wherein all can pick the fruits of the modernization of Japan, rather than the Date Clique and the new Captains of Industry.

Writing of Takuma Kokuta
To the People of Japan I - The Boshin War and the Date Clique
To the People of Japan II - The General Election and the Selfish
To the People of Japan III - The Unryu and Date Cliques

Last edited:
(The law specifies they are appointed after elections, so it probably doesn't take effect until the next general election.)

It greatly saddens me to hear of the death of Tanabe Shinzo, a man who has served His Majesty and Japan well as both a general during the Boshin War and as Ministers of Finance and Commerce. He was one of the founding members of NLP and was one of its greatest supporters in Kansai. He will long be remembered by all who had the pleasure of knowing him.

~ Ōshiro Kazuki, Marquis of Okayama and Prime Minister of Japan

Military Logistics Survey 1871
From The Office of Admiral Unryu

The following is a survey of the men and materials required to build the factories to build the materials needed to build the factories needed to build the weapons and supplies of the Japanese military of the future. If the Empire is ever in a major war with Western powers, the a supply chain independent of the global market will be necessary. Some raw materials will not be able to be gathered in Japan and will necessitate access to colonies with such resources as tropical wood and oil, as well as a navy powerful enough to keep the maritime supply lines between the colonies and the home islands open.

The next generation of ships of the line ((Battleships)
- Steamer Convoy (Steamer Shipyard Factory)
----- Coal (Coal Mine RGO)
----- Steel (Steel Factory)
---------- Coal (Coal Mine RGO)
---------- Iron (Iron Mine RGO)
- Artillery (Artillery Factory)
----- Explosives (Explosives Factory)
---------- Fertilizer (Fertilizer Factory)
-------------------- Sulphur (Sulphur Mine RGO)
---------- Ammunition (Ammunition Factory)
-------------------- Sulphur (Sulphur Mine RGO)
-------------------- Iron (Iron Mine RGO)
- Canned Food (Canned Food Factory)
----- Fish (Fishing Wharf RGO)
----- Cattle (Cattle Ranch RGO)
----- Grain (Grain Farm RGO)
----- Iron (Iron Mine RGO)
- Coal (Coal Mine RGO)
The next generation of frigates ((Cruisers))
- Steamer Convoy
- Artillery
- Canned Food
- Fuel (Fuel Refinery Factory)
----- Oil (Oil Rig RGO)
Soldiers and Officers
- Fish (Fishing Wharf RGO)
- Wool (Sheep Ranch RGO)
- Grain (Grain Farm RGO)
- Fruit (Orchard RGO)
- Cattle (Cattle Ranch RGO)
- Tea (Tea Plantation RGO)
- Liquor (Liquor Distillery Factory)
----- Glass (Glass Factory)
----- Grain (Grain Farm RGO)
- Small Arms (Small Arms Factory)
----- Ammunition (Ammunition Factory)
---------- Sulphur (Sulphur Mine RGO)
- Coal (Coal Mine RGO)
- Regular Clothes (Regular Clothes Factory)
----- Fabric (Fabric Factory)
---------- Cotton (Cotton Plantation RGO)
---------- Dye (Dye Factory)
- Ammunition (Ammunition Factory)
---------- Sulphur (Sulphur Mine RGO)
- Furniture (Furniture Factory)
----- Timber (Timber Lodge RGO)
----- Lumber (Lumber Mill Factory)
- Coffee (Coffee Plantation RGO)
- Tobacco (Tobacco Plantation RGO)
- Paper (Paper Mill Factory)
- Fuel (Fuel Factory)
----- Oil (Oil Rig RGO)
- Furniture (Furniture Factory)
----- Lumber (Lumber Mill Factory)
---------- Timber (Timber Lodge RGO)
- Glass (Glass Factory)
- Luxury Furniture (Luxury Furniture Factory)
----- Regular Furniture
----- Tropical Wood (Tropical Wood Lodge)
- Opium (Opium Plantation RGO)
- Luxury Clothes (Luxury Clothes Factory)
----- Regular Clothes (Regular Clothes Factory)
----- Silk (Silkworm Ranch RGO)
- Wine (Winery Factory)
----- Fruit (Orchard RGO)
----- Glass (Glass Factory)
Building Factories
- Cement (Cement Factory)
- Coal (Coal Mine RGO)
- Iron (Iron Mine RGO)
- Machine Parts (Machine Parts Factory)