• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Andre said he killed himself, which conflicts with the plot of the movie being referenced here, I think))

Final Tally (With Bonuses):

Guide: Yes/No/Abstain

Japanese Identification Act: 13/20/9
Failed
Judicial and Penal Act: 34/0/8
Passed

Oshiro (1866-1868): Rapid Advances

The later term of Prime Minister Oshiro Kazuki was not as eventful as his earlier term, but many advancements were made in regards to Japan's faster and faster modernization. The first was the introduction of a new Penal code, introduced by Satake Yoshizane. It was a code used to establish the judiciary branch of the Meiji Government. It was passed with almost universal praise by the Diet, and the Emperor approved it. The other bill to reach the floor of the Diet was a Immigration Act proposed by Baron Mori. The idea was to restrict immigration into Japan to prevent Japanese culture from falling to barbaric Asian cultures like Han Chinese or Korean. Traditionalists voted for the act, but many industrialists and liberals cited that the act could hamper recently established trade with Europeans. It was a close battle, but the "nos" had it, and the act was shot down in the Diet. That is to say, Mori was seen asking what the liberals would do when immigration to their illustrious nation increased and Japanese found themselves a minority. No one really seemed to mind.

In the economic world, Kishiwada Yukio was further advancing his Sake factory, and soon, Kishiwada Sake was hitting the shelves across places that served alcohol. It became a very popular drink among the finer classes of Japanese society. However, he could not seem to trail his rival Hajamoto Yoshihiro, the glass tycoon, in Kyushu. Hajamoto had not taken the risk to expand his factories, and instead continued to earn investments from his glass factory in Kyushu at a steady rate. At the end of the year, reviews still had Hajamoto as the richest industrialist in all of Japan. Poor Tanabe Shinzou and Akio Chosokame were lacking behind, for Akio had no wars to fuel his munitions, and Tanabe had no method of distributing steel. Yet, Hajamoto and Kishiwada were in a tight race. Kishiwada's income was marked at 5K every year, and his income steadily grew and grew. While he may not be the richest at the time, Kishiwada is set to surpass Hajamoto, unless Hajamoto did something about it...

TuaTk0h.jpg

(Kishiwada Sake)

Railroads were also becoming big in Japan. While the average economist was busy building the factories of Japan, many smaller capitalist corporations were building railroads across Japan. In areas like Kyushu and Kanto, railroads became a common sight. Yet, the most ambitious project of the railroad was to connect Kyoto and Edo, the capital and the biggest city, together by iron horse. The task was set by Date Munenari during his time as transitional leader. It was finally completed this year after years of grueling work in the hills of Chubu. Uesugi Narinori would declare the railroad open, and was honored to join the Emperor in expressing his excitement over the railroad by traveling with the Emperor to visit Edo, something not done in hundreds of years. For the first time, Meiji would leave Kyoto, and travel outside of Kansai into the heart of his country. Meiji was 17 years old at the time, making him still quite young. In one year, he would no longer be in need of a regent.

9KO4eYH.jpg

(The Emperor in Uniform)

Militarily, the Japanese army would grow. Cannon was added to each Corp of the Imperial Army. New officers were graduating out of the Shikoku Military Academy in Shikoku. But what Date Munenari wanted was a larger navy. He began the construction of his navy on a grand scale. He replaced clippers with steamships, and frigates with fast steamships. The Man-O-Wars remained though, and soon, the Imperial Navy was a sight to behold, as smoke covered the sky wherever it went.

That was the conclusion of the first term of the new government. It had survived, and with it, legitimacy increased. The new government was seen to be quite able to handle the challenges of the modern world. But with the rise of the National Liberals, a new opposition would rise. New faces would begin to be swayed to the Loyalist and Kamikaze parties, and in time, perhaps a conservative would finally see himself as Prime Minister. All was fair in this game, and the election season would begin...

------------------------------------
Player Actions Needed: We have entered the pre-election of 1868! You have three days (Till Sunday 9:00 PM EST or Monday 1:00 AM GMT) to organize your parties, elect new leaders, and tell me where you wish to run (rather in separate regions, or nationally). I need platforms PMed to me before the election begins!

ifRwOzZ.png

nsqqW6Z.png

2b36sFh.png

1isIHFa.png

naxjffC.png

vUHysMF.png

GxSYsIa.png

8nuObZC.png

M3onRzQ.png

e0N6yQE.png

OMql7TX.png

962jXCg.png

QJ1QRYy.png

w85E7P3.png

Mu1YEcA.png

JyzJNTK.png

DZnQm3x.png

Profits per Economist:

Tanabe Shinzou ((TJDS))
Wealth: 1,851 credits
Profits: 230 credits
Debt: 9,482 credits

Akio Chosokame ((luftwafer))
Wealth: 320 credits
Profits: 220 credits
Debt: 1,210 credits

Kishiwada Yukio ((mrlifeless))
Wealth: 10,962 credits
Profits: 10,662 credits
Debt: 3,415 credits

Hajamoto Yoshihiro ((liefwarrior))
Wealth: 12,764 credits
Profits: 4,855 credits
Debt: 0 Credits

Once again, liefwarrior is declared the richest economist and gets the +3.

Last edited:
((I hereby open the declaration period for leadership of the NLP. It will end in roughly 24 hours, at 10 pm EST, at which point the leadership vote will be opened should it be contested.))

I wish to announce that I shall seek to continue leading the National Liberal Party toward victory in the next election. Japan has seen great advances in industry in the last five years and our military has been expanded to be the envy of Asia. Under my leadership Japan has made great leaps and it shall continue to do so should I be allowed to remain the leader of this party. I ask my fellow National Liberals to support me in leading Japan to a bright future.

~ Ōshiro Kazuki, Marquis of Okayama and Prime Minister of Japan

((Private - Opposition))

I urge the current Opposition parties to formally unite under one political banner... All those wishing to discuss such a possibility of a united front against the National Liberal Party are welcome and encouraged to discuss the matter with me in private. Together we may accomplish far more than we could as individual parties. Please respond with due haste.

Satake Yoshizane

((Private Opposition))

I am interested in forming a united front against the NLP. It is the only way to remove their stranglehold on the government.

~Sakamoto

(Private: Opposition)

Then I suggest that Prince Sakamoto, as Leader of the Opposition, open a leadership vote across party lines so that the united conservative movement might select a standard-bearer going into the next election.

- Admiral Unryu Raizo

((Private opposition))

It would be wise to open up a leadership vote among the opposition parties.

First, I nominate myself for leader of the United Opposition, as I am respected by both modernists and traditionalists alike. Under my leadership I shall end the control of the NLP and strike a balance between tradition and modernity so that our culture is protected without us falling behind the gaijin in progress. Our brothers on the Asian mainland will be protected from the greed and callousness of the gaijin while also being brought to the enlightened modernity that we enjoy. The military will be strengthened in order to enrich and protect the state against the gaijin. Join me in bringing balance, justice, and freedom from the gaijin to Japan and Asia! Fukoku kyohei!

~Prince Sakamoto

I wish to announce that I support the Marquis of Okayama's continued candidacy for the Leadership of the National Liberal Party, and formally endorse his leadership bid.

Furthermore, I wish to make a public plea to the members of the so-called Kamikaze Party. As I had privately warned your leadership in the early days following the Revolution, I fear the reactionaries are now beginning to organise a united front against the Emperor and his Liberal Empire. Japan is now moving towards a two-party system, and as KP leader Lord Nishimura has long since abandoned Federalism - the only distinction in policy between your party and the NLP - there is no reason whatever for the KP to continue to exist as a separate party, apart from it siphoning off votes from the NLP and letting the reactionaries in through the back door.

I implore you, for the sake of the Emperor and his revolution, to unite with us and join the NLP in order to combat the rising reactionary menace, and secure the gains of the revolution.

--Hosokawa-dono, Foreign Secretary.

Last edited:
Unity and Honour may currently bend before the winds of political aggression, but it will not break.

We will continue our national march in order to bring about true peace in Japan.

I wish to announce that I support the Marquis of Okayama's continued candidacy for the Leadership of the National Liberal Party, and formally endorse his leadership bid.

Furthermore, I wish to make a public plea to the members of the so-called Kamikaze Party. As I had privately warned your leadership in the early days following the Revolution, the reactionaries are now beginning to organise a united front against the Emperor and his Liberal Empire. Japan is now moving towards a two-party system, and as KP leader Lord Nishimura has long since abandoned Federalism - the only distinction in policy between your party and the NLP - there is no reason whatever for the KP to continue to exist as a separate party, apart from it siphoning off votes from the NLP and letting the reactionaries in through the back door.

I implore you, for the sake of the Emperor and his revolution, to unite with us and join the NLP in order to combat the rising reactionary menace, and secure the gains of the revolution.

--Hosokawa-dono, Foreign Secretary.

((Private-NPL))

While I do agree with you that we need to work together with the Kamikaze Party, I must object to your approch. The Kamikaze Party was formed for a reson, and while you do not see it (and neither do I) it is clear that it is important to them, I would recommended a strategy of negotionation, to make sure that we simply do not push them to the reactionaries's arms.

- Kishiwada Yukio Viscount of Osaka

((Declare war on Korea! I need the money))

((We can't do that right now. Japan is allied to Korea and both Japan and Korea are in the US SoI.))

((Declare war on someone then. I NEED the money!))

((This may come as a shock to you, but the purpose of good foreign policy is not to help bail out one unsuccessful industrialist because he made a shockingly bad investment.))

((Private-NPL))

While I do agree with you that we need to work together with the Kamikaze Party, I must object to your approch. The Kamikaze Party was formed for a reson, and while you do not see it (and neither do I) it is clear that it is important to them, I would recommended a strategy of negotionation, to make sure that we simply do not push them to the reactionaries's arms.

- Kishiwada Yukio Viscount of Osaka

Viscount Kishiwada,

The purpose of a political party is to represent either a specific set of policies, an ideological tendency, or both. The NLP represents the values of the revolution, the other parties the values of the reactionaries. The KP are a party who appear to represent exactly the same values as the NLP: no more, no less. There is no reason to have two parties standing for the same policies and tendency, and plenty of reasons why the continued existence of two parties would be harmful for the cause both claim to represent. For the sake of its own professed values, the KP must dissolve.

This fight against the reaction of Satake, Sakamoto and the others is a battle which goes to the very heart of Japan's future as a nation - a "democratic Boshin War," if you will: either the KP is on the side of the Emperor, in which case they must join us, or they on the side of the reactionaries, in which case they must oppose us. There is no room in Japan for "Monster Raving Ego Parties" who exist solely to promote the career of their founders and for no other purpose. If the KP leadership wishes to put their own egos ahead of the Emperor and the values of his revolution, to betray their beliefs and join the reactionaries, then by all means let them be annihilated at the polls for doing so.

I trust though that as a man of integrity, Nishimura would not dare do such a thing.

-- Hosokawa-dono, Foreign Secretary.