• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Enough. Let Firehound15 leave without argument now. Let nothing else be said regarding his resignation, its over and done))

Reactions:
The Kamikaze Party
神の風政党
Kaminokaze Seitō

Free Trade / Laissez Faire / Pluralism / Residency / Jingoism

Economic Liberal | Political Conservative | Cultural Traditionalists | Technological Modernizers | Japanese Imperialists

((In game ideology: Conservative))

Kamikaze, the Divine Wind that saved Japan from a mongol invasion, the name of the operation that brought victory to the Son of Amaterasu. It is also one of the names of Fūjin, the wind god that the league using his name united Kyushu during the turmoil in Japan.

The Kamikaze party was founded in Kyushu by leading Kyushuan politicians Nishimura Hiroshi and Ito Katashi. They were both well known for their support for modernization policies under the Shogun's regime. However their opinion was that while the economical policies are beneficial for Japan, it should not sacrifice its culture and traditions for sake of the Nanban. The Kamikaze Party reflects those policies: it is supporting of a business-friendly environment and will seek to import the technological knowledge of the West for a good healthy Japanese economy, but insists on keeping the current political system and not succumbing to Western liberal ideas. It seeks to keep Japan a unique country, while also ensuring its global power. It is very supportive of increasing Japanese influence in the rest of Asia, even by means of war.

The party will run in the recent elections in the Kyushu Constituency.

Founders:
Nishimura Hiroshi
Ito Katashi

Other Members:
Kusaribe Kinzo
Nishimura Masaru
Ito Masaki

Last edited:
((Private: members of the NLP))

I am sorry that I must leave your party after asking to join. While I support your economic and military policies, I feel that we must not be so hasty to abandon tradition and reform the government. Hopefully our two parties may cooperate in the future though.

- Ito Katashi

A Message From The Kinnokai party

images

A new Day

Last edited:
I feel that we must not be so hasty to abandon tradition and reform the government.

((Private-Ito))

To the Most Honourable Lord Ito,

In light of your comments about the abandonment of tradition in the face of governmental reform, I remind you that there would be no greater abandonment of tradition and no more radical a governmental reform than the establishment of a federal Japanese state, along the lines which Lord Nishimura has advocated in the past.

Though ultimately the decision is yours, in light of the arguments put forth in your recent letter, I strongly urge you to reconsider your current course of action.

Yours,
-- Hosokawa-dono

A clarification from The Kamikaze Party:

The party does not support or advocate Federalism. While it is true that I proposed a plan for a federal Japan in the constitutional convention, seeing the lack of support of the other members of the convention, and because our current constitution defines Japan as a unitary state, I have stopped supporting federalism. It was one of many possible ways to rebuild Japan, and now that we have decided on a certain way I do not see the need of supporting federalism.

~Nishimura Hiroshi

((Private-Ito))

To the Most Honourable Lord Ito,

In light of your comments about the abandonment of tradition in the face of governmental reform, I remind you that there would be no greater abandonment of tradition and no more radical a governmental reform than the establishment of a federal Japanese state, along the lines which Lord Nishimura has advocated in the past.

Though ultimately the decision is yours, in light of the arguments put forth in your recent letter, I strongly urge you to reconsider your current course of action.

Yours,
-- Hosokawa-dono

((Private - Hosokawa))

I do understand your concerns. I have no intention of supporting federalism, and neither does Nishimura Hiroshi as he has stated publicly. We have merely decided to focus on Kyushu since we are a fledgling party with few members. I always supported a unified nation under the Emperor and will continue to do so.

- Ito Katashi

A clarification from The Kamikaze Party:

The party does not support or advocate Federalism. While it is true that I proposed a plan for a federal Japan in the constitutional convention, seeing the lack of support of the other members of the convention, and because our current constitution defines Japan as a unitary state, I have stopped supporting federalism. It was one of many possible ways to rebuild Japan, and now that we have decided on a certain way I do not see the need of supporting federalism.

~Nishimura Hiroshi

((Do bear in mind that my letter was private. Anyway, I'm a bit perplexed as to why you've decided to form your own party if not to advocate federalism, especially when said party is basically a carbon copy of the NLP. (I don't think I need to explain that national liberalism as an ideology is basically liberal-conservative, or about as far from cultural radicalism as you can get.) Feel free to give me your answer by PM if you don't wish to air it publicly or clutter this thread with OOC. ;)))

CdNUA5z.jpg

Name: Hiro Nakamura
Specialty: Political
Background: Hiro Nakamura was a member of the Hiro clan, a prominent Daimyo clan in the province of Kagoshima. While his family was overshadowed by that of the Shimazu family, his family still contributed to the war cause during the Boshin War. His family sent Hiro to fight alongside the Imperials as they pushed through Chubu and Kanto. During his journeys, Hiro saw the effects of modernization. He saw small factories built by western powers throughout Japan, and decided that modernization was the key to a prosperous Japan. He realized though that industrialization cannot come without the Imperial Diet's approval. He decided that the only way forward for him was to join the National Liberal party, and to help assert modernization over the fledgling feudalistic movement.

Reactions:
Excerpts from "Hikari-mono, or Shooting Star" (Hendricks Publishing House, 1864, San Francisco, CA)
The English translation of "Hikarimono," the posthumously published collection of the haiku and tanka poetry of Lord Matsukata Yusuke, broke major ground as one of the first translations of late Edo-period Japanese literature. Produced by Maarten Hendricks, a Dutchman living in Dejima with connections in San Francisco, the translation was received well by an American populace interested in the next exotic thrill from the burgeoning American sphere of influence and looking for distractions at the end of the Civil War. Of course, in the grand scheme of things, it was little more than a passing fad; scholars would not appreciate the groundbreaking compilation for several more decades.

In Japan, Lord Matsukata's poetry was seen as just as controversial, if for different reasons. Despite the omnipresent reactionary and pro-Shogunate themes present throughout, the poems themselves were quite modern for their time. Firstly, Lord Matsukata often dispensed with the use of kigo, or season words, inherent in the haiku format, in favor of conveying the allegorical political content. Secondly, later in his life Lord Matsukata helped pioneer the "Movement to Unify Speech and Writing," a literary movement intent on writing in a similar fashion to spoken Japanese (all previous literature was written in classical Japanese from roughly 1200 AD, akin to English roughly between that of Chaucer and that of Beowulf.) Disliking what he saw as "haughtiness and pretension," Matsukata sought out a simple and cleaner style that, despite his poems' reactionary messages, conveyed to many future writers the spirit of modern Japan.

この処軍は
今からもう少し
寝坊できる

Ko no shogun wa
Ima kara mou sukoshi
Nebou dekiru

This shogun
From now on can
Sleep in a little more

---

小島から
山の頂上まで
蘭学来る

Kojima kara
Yama no chuujou made
Rangaku kuru

From the small island
To the summit of the mountain
Rangaku comes

---

狂気の顔
オランダ人の仮面
かけられる

Kyouki no kao
Orandajin no kamen
Kakerareru

The face of madness
Can wear the mask
Of a Dutchman

---

朝なると
窓の外見る
雷だ
昨日と同じで
田舎の綺麗さ

Asa naru to
Mado no soto miru
Kaminari da
Kinou to onaji de
Inaka no kireisa

Morning comes and
I see outside my window
It's lightning
Just like yesterday
The beauty of the countryside

---

日本に見る
殺人したいの目
踏み絵住む

Nihon ni miru
Satsujin shitai no me
Fumi-e sumu

Looking at Japan
The eyes that wish to murder
The fumi-e lives

---

甘い言葉
聞いて静かに
火山に入る

Amai kotoba
Kiite shizuka ni
Kazan ni hairu

Sweet words are heard
Then quietly
He enters the volcano

---

暗い場所に
最後の蝋燭
寂しいかな

Kurai basho ni
Saigo no rousoku
Sabishii kana

In the dark places
Do you think the last candle
Is ever lonely

A Brief Message From The Loyalist Association

Some have called us liberals, others have called us isolationists. Perhaps worst of all, most simply don't know what to think of us in the first place. To resolve that issue, let us speak briefly about the Kinnokai vision for Nippon.

Formed by Lord Sakamoto, the Prince of Kanto and hero of the Boshin War, the Loyalist Association has a mission to modernize the country. This includes securing the progress made so far, yes. There is still legislation to be written to define the prefectures and local rights of the nobility to prevent any backsliding into feudalism or federalist perversions of the Emperor's authority. But it isn't just about securing the gains made during the transitional period, it is about continuing the transition of Japan to become a Great Power.

Why is this necessary and desirable? Not for greed, not for glory, but for the stability of the state and happiness of the people. Under America's shadow, Nippon's national interests will forever be at jeopardy and its people will be wracked by discontent. We have seen the results of anti-Nanban rioting in the past, and we also cannot afford to let our prosperity be tied to a trade bloc controlled by a foreign power that does not care about the livelihood of the Nihonjin.

How can freedom from America's sphere of influence be accomplished? Causing a diplomatic incident would be dangerous, risking a vainglorious war with the Western powers. The wise course is to become a Great Power, in order to maintain our good relations with the United States while reasserting our sovereignty and making ourselves an actor in imperialism rather than a subject.

What will the Kinnokai do to help raise Nippon to the status of Great Power? Industrialize! A more detailed pamphlet on industrial policy will be published shortly.

- Loyalist Association, Kanto Branch

Reactions:
((I am editing the original FPTP mechanics regarding elections. I am implementing a weighted threshold system, a system used in "The Westminster System" IAAR. Basically, that means the party with the most Voting Power in a region gets a higher weighted percentage of the vote. The thresholds are as followed:

<5% - 0 (If a party fails to secure a minimum of 5% of the vote it shall gain no parliamentary representation.)

5-10% (Percentage of the vote the party receives) - 0.25 (How much the vote is multiplied by)

10-15% - 0.5

15-25% - 1

25-35% - 2

35-45% - 3

>45% - 4

Basically, this means that he who receives the most Voting Power in the region gets the highest threshold.

So if there were two parties competing for 10 seats, one party gets 21 VP, the other gets 7 VP, then that means Party A has 75% of the vote, while Party B has only 25% of the vote. Weighted by this system, Party A will get a total of 84 Electoral Points, while Party B will get a total of 14 electoral points. The weighted system percentage divided would mean Party A will get about 86% of the seats, while Party B will get about 14% of the seats.

Qwerty has given me an example for use in-game:

YQrhoah.png

(Ignore him calling the Nat-Libs Nanban-Libs please...)

Of course this system will be thrown out if FPTP is ever replaced

Let me know what you think about this))

Last edited:
Reactions:
((Also, for those of you who have yet to decide upon going regional or national, here is the list of seats per region:

Tohuku: 39
Kanto: 110
Kansai: 121
Chubu: 85
Chugoku: 31
Shikoku: 19
Kyushu: 59

Total: 463

Edit: Hokkaido is not a state, so that is -12 the total.

))

Last edited:
(I'm not sure how Qwerty got some of those figures. Are they just random?)

((Do we just PM you our choice of regional/national and which region we pick?))

Nippon has suffered greatly from the aggressive modernisation that took place before the Meiji Restoration. As turmoil spread throughout our proud nation, Lord Satake fought to maintain our status as a sovereign nation. The Boshin War was the climax of the tension which had built up over decades; our rightful leader the Emperor fought the forces of the Bakufu. Some of those he fought, myself included, had been deceived; we were lead to believe that the Emperor was being held captive by the Fujin League and their lackeys. Obviously this was not true and the Emperor won with the favour of the Kami but unrest still bubbles throughout Nippon. Now the liberals who brought death and distraction to my homeland style themselves as conservatives, claiming that Nanban should be allowed the same rights as native Nipponese. The only party (or political club, as many style themselves) that remains true to our venerable traditions is Unity & Honor, a party that I plan on joining. As Liberals trample across the nation leaving destruction in their wake it is up to we reactionaries and true conservatives to restore order. As the Nanban preach to the peasantry of equality and voting rights dissent spreads; when the nations leaders start championing the same ideals what do you think will happen? For the safety of myself, my family and the nation of Nippon I pray to the Kami, I pray to our Emperor, I pray that the insanity of the Liberals will end. That no Nanban will ever evict me. That no Nanban will ever govern any faithful Nipponese. I pray that Nippon will forever remain a free & sovereign nation.

~ Hajamoto Yoshihiro; Head of the Kyushu Construction Company

(I'm not sure how Qwerty got some of those figures. Are they just random?)
((They were just used as an example. What naxhi did not put in was the second example which shows what happens in FPTP a lot of times.
b7KwB54.png
Here we see Unity and Honor and the Loyalist Association join together (presumably on a joint ticket of some sort) and thus have more votes than the National Liberals. Instead the Liberals getting 70% of the seats after weights are applied, when two opposition parties or mid-level parties form a coalition they can do much better in FPTP. Now the National Liberals get 49% to the 51% of the UH and LA coalition. Meanwhile, let's assume that Kamikaze voters are closer to National Liberal voters. The Kamikaze supporters' votes have been effectively wasted and they have taken away votes and seats from the National Liberals.

The idea is that FPTP will force the electoral system to be two major coalitions fighting it out. The coalitions will have to deal with competing interests within themselves in order to pursue a common goal and to defeat the opposition. Fail to satisfy a faction within the coalition and that faction may run on its own and split votes, thus taking away seats and votes from your coalition.

I hope that clears it up. Although naxhi may point out if any of what I am saying is not correct.))