• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I wish to put myself forward for the position of Tairo.

~ Daimyo Ōshiro Kazuki of Okayama, Roju of Chugoku

8d84de2bb17c8a210796e4ae19cc4401.png

It is imperative that the forces of our empire are thoroughly modernised and capable of withstanding an attack by the gaijin. Therefore, I propose the that in conjunction with creating military schools to teach our next generation of generals the tactics and plans of the gaijin, we must also look to the sea, so that the disasters years ago need never blight our honour ever again. To that end, I propose both Army and Navy Schools be established, namely at Edo, Niigata, Sendai, Nagoya, Kyoto, Osaka, Matsue, Matyusama, Kitakyushu, and Kagoshima. Whilst I shall of course wait patiently for the matters at hand to come to an end, and humbly take any suggestions from my fellow elders, I believe that this policy of ensuring our generals and admirals are provided with the broadest and most thorough education possible is the only sound course of action to be taken.

Furthermore, I must formally submit a request to the other Roju that, due to a severe lack of interest and concern regarding the island of Shikoku over the years previous, we have found this land increasingly exposed and defenceless in regards to the ever-present threat of the gaijin; I therefore feel it is my duty as the representative and elder of that island to request that more focus be placed upon her, and that this long neglect come at last to an end.

Lord Date then went to his estate in Edo and wrote a series of letters to his erstwhile vassals and compatriots on Shikoku, commissioning them to at last remove the vestigial remains of the old army (instead replacing them with modern infantry), and above all expanding and modernising the navy; over the next five years, he intended for six new frigates and three “man-of-wars,” as the gaijin called their great black ships, to be constructed. He further wrote to Sakamoto Naotari (zenphoenix) and Taisei Iwasaki (nininunny), asking for them to take command of his army and navy, respectively; he feared that in the coming years there would soon be upheaval and disorder – he would need his home secure.

~ Lord Date Munenari of Uwajima

((For Qwerty's eyes only))

jg1c0nk.png

My loyal Chancellor

For the past fifteen years of my reign, Japan has been involved in wars, unfair treaties, Nanban control, and the threat of falling behind. Yet for the sake of order and stability, the Shogun and his cronies in the Roju have abandoned our traditionalist ways, forcing the people to adopt Nanban technology, Nanban culture, Nanban beliefs, and Nanban religion! Who is to blame in all this my loyal Chancellor Mori? Why it is the same men who claim they defend tradition! The Shogun and his Roju are nothing more then cronies to the western powers! Even the most traditionalist Roju members like Lord Date and Lord Takeshi believe that abandoning tradtion is the way "forward". I see men and women in Kyoto wearing western clothing. Smoke from Nanban factories in Edo choke the air. Nanban ships frequent the sacred port of Osaka, and the Roju and Shogun let this happen!

I have been silent for fifteen years Lord Mori. My ancestors have been silent to this encroachment by the Shoguns for over seven-hundred years! No more, Lord Mori. No more shall I sit here and watch my land be destroyed and tainted by the Nanban. We must prepare to strike back against the Nanban and their cronies in Edo! We however, must be patient. The time will come when the Japanese people wish to see the yolk of the Nanban thrown off of them. We cannot rush this decree, it must come at the precise moment. All I am asking, my loyal Chancellor, is that you must be willing to stand by me, and defend the Divine will against anyone who dares threaten it and Japan's traditions.

-Emperor Komei

Reactions:

It is imperative that the forces of our empire are thoroughly modernised and capable of withstanding an attack by the gaijin. Therefore, I propose the that in conjunction with creating military schools to teach our next generation of generals the tactics and plans of the gaijin, we must also look to the sea, so that the disasters years ago need never blight our honour ever again. To that end, I propose both Army and Navy Schools be established, namely at Edo, Niigata, Sendai, Nagoya, Kyoto, Osaka, Matsue, Matyusama, Kitakyushu, and Kagoshima. Whilst I shall of course wait patiently for the matters at hand to come to an end, and humbly take any suggestions from my fellow elders, I believe that this policy of ensuring our generals and admirals are provided with the broadest and most thorough education possible is the only sound course of action to be taken.

Furthermore, I must formally submit a request to the other Roju that, due to a severe lack of interest and concern regarding the island of Shikoku over the years previous, we have found this land increasingly exposed and defenceless in regards to the ever-present threat of the gaijin; I therefore feel it is my duty as the representative and elder of that island to request that more focus be placed upon her, and that this long neglect come at last to an end.

Lord Date then went to his estate in Edo and wrote a series of letters to his erstwhile vassals and compatriots on Shikoku, commissioning them to at last remove the vestigial remains of the old army (instead replacing them with modern infantry), and above all expanding and modernising the navy; over the next five years, he intended for six new frigates and three “man-of-wars,” as the gaijin called their great black ships, to be constructed. He further wrote to Sakamoto Naotari (zenphoenix) and Taisei Iwasaki (nininunny), asking for them to take command of his army and navy, respectively; he feared that in the coming years there would soon be upheaval and disorder – he would need his home secure.

((private letter to Date Munenari))
To the Honorable Lord of Uwajima,

I accept your gracious offer and will at once take command of your armies.

~Sakamoto

((Private letter to the Samurai Takeda))

Takeda-san,

Following the recent elections, in which the unfaithfulness of Daimyo Uesagi was revealed, I have decided to offer you the position of Head General of Chubu. I like to think of you as a friend and am greatly looking forward to your acceptance.

~ Ota Sukekatsu; 3rd Lord Fureno-Shizuoka & Roju Representative of Chubu

Reactions:
((Private))

((Private letter to the Samurai Takeda))

Takeda-san,

Following the recent elections, in which the unfaithfulness of Daimyo Uesagi was revealed, I have decided to offer you the position of Head General of Chubu. I like to think of you as a friend and am greatly looking forward to your acceptance.

~ Ota Sukekatsu; 3rd Lord Fureno-Shizuoka & Roju Representative of Chubu

Ota-san, Lord Fureno-Shizuoka,

The young are inexperienced and angsty. It is an unfortunate situation when they do not realize the impact this has on their judgement and unwisely contest the opinion of their betters. Even though Uesagi is a traditionalist like me, it was unwise of him to so rashly rush to power without consulting you, the incumbent Roju Representative, first. I choose to believe he is a victim of his age; that he will be wiser as time passes.

My lord, over the years I have come to see you as an honourable man - one who would benefit from a Shinto councillor, perhaps, but an honourable man nonetheless. It is for this reason that I will accept the offer I once declined, and swear fealty to the Representative of Chubu as General. Hopefully, as commander of its armies, I can help solidify the importance of this great region I have come to love.

Sincerely,

Takeda Subaro

Reactions:
It is a shame to see that the Traditionalist elements in Chubu have no loyalty. I had hoped that we would see an era of peace and prosperity in our region but alas it is not to be.

Oh come now Lord Ota. You stood against me and won twice now. There is no need to throw insults and degradation like you have in the past. There is no reason to think that the peace and prosperity in our region would change. You loud exclamations of my lack of loyalty are both unneeded and unwanted.

Reactions:

Almost disinterestedly, Lord Date announces his intention to run for the post of Tairo, seemingly out of a desire to have some form of competition present rather than it be a bland rubber stamp.

Reactions:
Player Actions Needed: The Roju needs to vote on who should be head elder.

Sample Ballot:

Head Elder: Date ((Riccardo93/Revan529))/Oshiro ((Somberg))

[Region]

Voting ends Thursday at 11:00 PM EST or Friday at 3:00 AM GMT or until all the Roju has voted.

Head Elder: Date
[Shikoku]

Lord Date sighs and returns to planning his military reforms.

Reactions:
Head Elder: Oshiro

[Kansai]

Head Elder: Oshiro ((Somberg))
[Chubu]

~ Ota Sukekatsu: 3rd Lord Fureno-Shizuoka & Roju Representative of Chubu

Head Elder: Abstain

(Kyushu)

The people of Kyushu are as renowned for their seamanship as they are for their katanas. We have learnt to ride with the waves and seek the assistance of the wind.

For too long I have seen the Roju and the Tairo exhaust this nation by seeking to row into the headwind. They have been carried against their will by the tide of destiny despite the efforts of my Lord Hosokawa's attempts to steer them towards calmer waters. Unless the Tairo respects the kami of the Wind and Sea, they will not bless his efforts and will bestow their grace upon more worthy leaders.

One cannot see the wind, yet it's voice can roar like dragon, and whistle like an arrow. One cannot touch the wind, yet it can blow over mighty trees and fill our sails. A wise man would stop to listen, to see which way the wind is now blowing and to follow its path.

Yamamoto Hirakuni
Roju Kyushu
Daimyo of Nagasaki

Head Elder: Oshiro ((Somberg))
[Kanto]

~ Motoro Kusanagi, Roju of Kanto, Lord of Yokohama

OvZb4Gp.png

Upon reviewing the suggestions of the Roju council, it is within my power to appoint Daimyo Ōshiro Kazuki ((Somberg)) as Tairō of the Roju council. May he guide the Shogunate in its decisions well.

-Shogun Tokugawa Iesada

----------

Player Actions Needed: Somberg, I will give you one day (Friday at 9:00 PM EST or Saturday at 1:00 AM GMT) to select advisers and produce a budget to be voted on by the Daimyo Council. Regional Daimyo should also send me orders regarding whether or not they want to raise new troops/build ships in their region. I also wish to have orders from the other Advisers in before the run-through (by my calculations, will be held on Sunday at 9:00 PM EST or Monday at 1:00 AM GMT) along with Regional Daimyo orders.

=ADVISORY COUNCIL=
Tairō:
Ōshiro Kazuki ((Somberg))

Foreign Adviser:
Motoro Kusanagi, Lord of Yokohama ((Terraferma))

Interior Adviser:
Takeshi Ohba, Lord of Yamagata ((LoggingOut))

Financial Adviser:
Tanabe Shinzou, Lord of Wakayama ((TJDS))

War Adviser:
Ota Sukekatsu, Lord of Shizuoka ((liefwarrior))

Education Adviser:
Yamamoto Hirakuni, Lord of Nagasaki ((Davout))

Ōmetsuke (Justice Adviser):
Hosokawa Mitsuhide, Lord of Kumamoto ((LordTempest))

Kyoto Shoshidai (Shogun's Representative in Kyoto):
Satake Yoshihiro, Lord of Kubota ((Firehound15))

Last edited:
Upon hearing his replacement as War Adviser, Lord Date retracts his proposals and leaves Edo for Matsuyama to brood over this slight.