• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Once more I will ask for the opinions of the rulers of Chubu. Industrialisation could be the key to our success or it could bring about our downfall. Clearly this is not something to be taken lightly and we must ensure that we do what is best for Chubu.

~ Ota Sukekatsu; 3rd Lord Fureno-Shizuoka & Rōju Rep for Chubu.

Our current education system is out-dated and in desperate need of improvements. The literacy of the populace is poor, even among the nobility. In light of this I suggest the following reform be considered and debated upon by the Daimyo Council.

~ Ota Sukekatsu; 3rd Lord Fureno-Shizuoka & Roju Rep. of Chubu

高貴教育法

Koki Kyoiku-ho

Noble Education Act

GetImage.ashx

I. The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, or MEXT,will be made an official government ministry.

II. The Minister will be appointed each Rōju Election Cycle.

III. The Minister can choose the *education ideology*.

IV. The Curriculum will be based around the *education ideology*.

V. Those who can afford to pay a tuition fee may send their children to school.

VI. Foreign educators may teach Sports, Military Science, Civil Science and Technology. It is illegal for them to teach other subjects.

((Reformed Education will be implemented if it is not already.))

((THE FOLLOWING AWAITS APPROVAL FROM NAXHI!))
((The Education Ideologies are: Liberal, Conservative and Reactionary.))
((Liberal Ideology gives the Yes vote on reforms +10% PP.))
((Conservative Ideology gives no bonus))
((Reactionary Ideology gives the No vote on reforms +10% PP.))

Our current education system is out-dated and in desperate need of improvements. The literacy of the populace is poor, even among the nobility. In light of this I suggest the following reform be considered and debated upon by the Daimyo Council.

高貴教育法

Koki Kyoiku-ho

Noble Education Act

GetImage.ashx

I. The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, or MEXT,will be made an official government ministry.

VI. Foreign educators may teach Sports, Military Science, Civil Science and Technology. It is illegal for them to teach other subjects.

Our reforms are pretty similar: maybe we can unite them so we'll do a good reform of education.

Our reforms are pretty similar: maybe we can unite them so we'll do a good reform of education.

LoggingOut said:
1. Every Japanese must learn how to read and write the Japanese.

The writing of Kanji is the explicit area if the upper echelons of society, as of such I do not think it would be suitable for all Japanese to be able to write fluent Kanji. In fact why should the peasantry be able to write at all?

Thus if our reforms were to merge your Article 1 would be removed.

LoggingOut said:
2. The lessons are: japanese licterature, maths and history of Japan
LoggingOut said:
3. Students have to do a military training about land and naval tactics.

It is my belief that my wording better explains the intricacies of the curriculum while also allowing for some variation.

Thus I would suggest that your Article 2 and Article 3 be removed.
Article VII would replace them. Reading: "Students will be taught Japanese Culture and Traditions; trained in several different sports; be taught Military Science [theory & tactics]; learn Civil Science and be taught the intricacies of modern Technology."

LoggingOut said:
4. Also, at the ending of their school period, students must know:
-- names of each Emperor of Japan.
-- values and traditions of Japan.
-- Most important events of Japan's history.

I do not see how this could be useful. Clearly tutors will decide who has graduated from their knowledge of their students. Why would you instead judge them on their ability to memorize facts?

I recommend the removal of your Article 4 and all its clauses.

The new draft would look like this:
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

高貴教育法

Koki Kyoiku-ho

Noble Education Act

GetImage.ashx

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

((Private liefwarrior))
I don't think that my article 4 is totally unuseful: our nation is founded on value and traditions. Maybe I'll change it with
4. During their school period, the students have to learn the value and the traditions of Japan.
We were defeated by a foreing nation and we cannot permitted that our civilization and our history collapse because of this.
We must preserv our identity.

((I have no idea why determining what is taught in schools would have any immediate effect on political reform when such reform is decided solely by the ruling classes whom one assumes have already completed their educations and are not used to listening to the opinions of those below them. Silly mechanic is silly))

kw4Q06n.jpg

(Private: Satake Government and KD members)
I have returned from Europe. My report on the situation with Spain and the downfall of their status among the Western powers will follow soon. I also look forward to the gathering of the Thunder Alliance wisely called for by Tairo Satake.

- Daimyo Tsugaru Noboyuki, Lord of the Hirosaki Domain (Aomori Province)

((I have no idea why determining what is taught in schools would have any immediate effect on political reform when such reform is decided solely by the ruling classes whom one assumes have already completed their educations and are not used to listening to the opinions of those below them. Silly mechanic is silly))

((The reform is intended to nationalize education for the ruling class, as well as this it should increase teaching quality. Generally someones ideology will be decided by their education; thus the nobility would be clamoring for reform/counter-reform. I would think that having the nobility's support would increase the likelihood of a reform passing. Even if anybody could attend school it would likely influence the Shogun/Emperor. When we make a ruling on a reform it is actually the Shogun/Emperor who passes it; they would likely be swayed a small amount so as to keep their populace happy. Thus silly mechanic is not silly.))

The writing of Kanji is the explicit area if the upper echelons of society, as of such I do not think it would be suitable for all Japanese to be able to write fluent Kanji. In fact why should the peasantry be able to write at all?

Thus if our reforms were to merge your Article 1 would be removed.

It is my belief that my wording better explains the intricacies of the curriculum while also allowing for some variation.

Thus I would suggest that your Article 2 and Article 3 be removed.
Article VII would replace them. Reading: "Students will be taught Japanese Culture and Traditions; trained in several different sports; be taught Military Science [theory & tactics]; learn Civil Science and be taught the intricacies of modern Technology."

I do not see how this could be useful. Clearly tutors will decide who has graduated from their knowledge of their students. Why would you instead judge them on their ability to memorize facts?

I recommend the removal of your Article 4 and all its clauses.

The new draft would look like this:
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

高貴教育法
Koki Kyoiku-ho

Noble Education Act

GetImage.ashx

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My dear friends of the Daimyo Council, I have decided to retract my suggested reform following recent events. Upon reviewing Daimyo Takeshi's reform I believe that he has already satisfactorily covered my reform. I hope that my fellow Daimyo will choose wisely when considering implementing his reform.

((Naxhi decided that he would not implement my suggested mechanics, thus my suggested reform is exactly the same as LoggingOut's. Thus I am not going to put my reform up to a vote.))

((Private liefwarrior))
But I like the idea of the Education Adviser: can I put it in my reform?

((Sure you can. But I do not think you can put the mechanics I suggested in it as Naxhi has said no to those.))

Once more I will ask for the opinions of the rulers of Chubu. Industrialisation could be the key to our success or it could bring about our downfall. Clearly this is not something to be taken lightly and we must ensure that we do what is best for Chubu.

~ Ota Sukekatsu; 3rd Lord Fureno-Shizuoka & Rōju Rep for Chubu.

I have no interest of seeing my cherry orchards torn down for some Nanban monstrosity.

Reactions:
((Sorry, Pirates game went insane, opening vote now, apologies for lateness. Raise the jolly roger))

Player Actions Needed: Vote on the Japanese Industrialization Act and the Nippon School Reform.

Sample Ballot:

Japanese Industrialization Act*: Yes/No/Abstain
Nippon School Reform*: Yes/No/Abstain

[Daimyo Rank (Provincial/Regional)/Karo]
[Region]
[Bonus (If applicable)]

*=Reform. If both pass, I will roll to determine which one gets enforced.

Voting ends on Sunday at 9:00 PM EST, or Monday at 1:00 AM GMT. Remember to include all parts of the ballot and bold your vote, else your vote wont be counted. A playthrough shall follow the closing of the vote.

Japanese Industrialization Act: Yes
Nippon School Reform: Yes

[Provincial Daimyo]
[Kyushu]

- Daimyo Ito Katashi of Miyazaki

Mission I: Me Pigs and Ye Port; give em' bot

ZN3uq6f.png

Yo' haf some wawk t'do. Gotcha info'mashun right hyar:
Greetin's, juntlemen of this hyar peekoolyar place. Mah name is Nathaniel Hawthorne, an' I've been sent t'represent th' United States of Amurica in this hyar nashun, frem da great state of Alabama. Yo' haf recently signed a treaty wif mah fine friend, Ser Perry, the Commodore. It's mah responsibility t'make sho'nuff yo' doesn't all git lazy as a houn'dog. Ah doesn't like when varmints start bein' lazy as a houn'dog. Ya see, once had a lazy hog, ah took th' axe an' smashed in th' dore. Ah beat it an' hacked it cornsiderable a-doin' it. Ah fetched th' pig in, an' took him back nearly t'th' table an' hacked into his throat wif th' axe, an' laid him down on th' groun' t'bleed. Don't be a pig, does yo' unnerstan'?

Whut in tarnation we want:
Mah friends back home be hankerin' t'receive some fines fum this hyar country, an' in steady supply. In o'der t'do this, we need yo' t'enlarge yer po'ts, so thet we may haf greater accessibility t'yer expo'ts, an' yo' t'our impo'ts. Upgradin' three po'ts'd will does jest fine.

Whit in do world y'all get:
Increased relashuns wif th' United States an' some nice thin's wif it.

KPHhMJk.png

Here I am

Signed,
Nate Hawtho'ne
A man wif menny slaves and much pride

Reactions:
I have no interest of seeing my cherry orchards torn down for some Nanban monstrosity.

Based on the current opinions of those I represent I have decided to cast my support behind the Nippon School Reform.

Japanese Industrialization Act: Abstain
Nippon School Reform: Yes

[Regional Daimyo]
[Chubu]

~ Ota Sukekatsu; 3rd Lord Fureno-Shizuoka & Rōju Rep. of Chubu

Mission I: Me Pigs and Ye Port; give em' bot

ZN3uq6f.png

Yo' haf some wawk t'do. Gotcha info'mashun right hyar:
Greetin's, juntlemen of this hyar peekoolyar place. Mah name is Nathaniel Hawthorne, an' I've been sent t'represent th' United States of Amurica in this hyar nashun, frem da great state of Alabama. Yo' haf recently signed a treaty wif mah fine friend, Ser Perry, the Commodore. It's mah responsibility t'make sho'nuff yo' doesn't all git lazy as a houn'dog. Ah doesn't like when varmints start bein' lazy as a houn'dog. Ya see, once had a lazy hog, ah took th' axe an' smashed in th' dore. Ah beat it an' hacked it cornsiderable a-doin' it. Ah fetched th' pig in, an' took him back nearly t'th' table an' hacked into his throat wif th' axe, an' laid him down on th' groun' t'bleed. Don't be a pig, does yo' unnerstan'?

Whut in tarnation we want:
Mah friends back home be hankerin' t'receive some fines fum this hyar country, an' in steady supply. In o'der t'do this, we need yo' t'enlarge yer po'ts, so thet we may haf greater accessibility t'yer expo'ts, an' yo' t'our impo'ts. Upgradin' three po'ts'd will does jest fine.

Whit in do world y'all get:
Increased relashuns wif th' United States an' some nice thin's wif it.

KPHhMJk.png

Here I am

Signed,
Nate Hawtho'ne
A man wif menny slaves and much pride
Here we see the naban in their natural habitat. They feed on stupidity and ignorance with a side of destruction of Japanese tradition. If only you modernists realized the problems with naban culture.

- Daijo-daijin Mori Takachika

I'm positive that the Tairo will be delighted to see that Lord Uesugi continues to serve as Roju for Chubu in all but name.

JIA: Yea
Education Act: Abstain

[Regional, Kyushu]

- Hosokawa-dono, Lord of Higo and Roju of Kyushu