• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Head Elder: Satake

[Shikoku]

I must confess that this has been a most Difficult of choices despite my past record, I had planned to abstain, however the Shogun needs a decisive Zenith of a decision rather than two Parties in a stand off.

Head Elder: Satake
[Kanto]

~ Motoro Kusensagi, Lord of Yokohama and Roju of Kanto

(Don't kill me Tang.)

((Everyone voted on the Roju, so I am ending voting now))

OvZb4Gp.png

Upon reviewing the suggestions of the Roju council, it is within my power to appoint Daimyo Satake Yoshihiro ((Firehound15)) as Tairō of the Roju council. May he guide the Shogunate in its decisions well.

-Shogun Tokugawa Ieyoshi

----------

Player Actions Needed: Firehound15 I need a list of advisers you wish to have on the advisory council. This includes Foreign Adviser, Interior Adviser, Financial Adviser, War Advisor, and any other special Adviser that you think is needed. I will give you one day (Saturday at 11:00 PM EST or Sunday at 3:00 AM GMT) to select them and produce a budget to be voted on by the Daimyo Council. Regional Daimyo should also send me orders regarding whether or not they want to raise new troops/build ships in their region. I also wish to have orders from the other Advisors in before the run-through (by my calculations, will be held on Sunday at 9:00 PM EST or Monday at 1:00 AM GMT) along with Regional Daimyo orders.

=ADVISORY COUNCIL=

Tairō:
Satake Yoshihiro ((Firehound15))

Foreign Adviser:

Motoro Kusanagi, Lord of Yokohama ((Terraferma))

Interior Adviser:

Uesugi Narinori, Lord of Niigata ((Dadarian))

Financial Adviser:

Date Narikuni, Lord of Sendai ((Otto of england))

War Adviser:

Date Munenari, Lord of Uwajima ((Riccardo93))

Ōmetsuke (Justice Adviser):

Matsui Hiseki, Lord of Kobe ((AndreMassena))

Kyoto Shoshidai (Shogun's Representative in Kyoto):

Asano Naritaka, Lord of Hiroshima ((Marschalk))

Jisha Bugyō (Administrator of Temples):

Hayashi Tadafusa, Lord of Chiba ((Towll))

Last edited:
((The ghost of Khalep haunts us still, I see.
.))

((For Dadarian))
OvZb4Gp.png

Lord Uesugi

Our nation is facing a crisis of unmatched parallel. Westerners are prying open the gates of our nation. Their influence has already reached out into the Daimyo Council and the Roju. I fear that many of my closest advisors are beginning to side with the westerners over the traditions of Japan. You are the only man I know who has not fully abandoned the ways of our ancestors. However, there are radical influences from the Nanban at work here in Japan. These enemies are unknown, but they must be forced out into the sunlight and exposed as the traitors they truly are. I hereby wish to appoint you as leader of the Oniwaban, my personal spy group. If you accept, you will have eyes and ears all over Japan, and you will report to me the identities of the traitors and enemies of Japan so that justice may be brought down upon them. You will be working along with the Justice Advisor (currently Lord Matsui) in finding these Nanban defectors.

-Shogun Tokugawa Ieyoshi

------------------------------

Oniwaban Leadership

The Oniwaban were the personal ninjas of the Shogun. They were used to spy on the enemies of Japan and on Daimyo whose loyalties were questionable. They worked in security and espionage. If you choose to accept, you will be able to have eyes and ears across Japan to detect traitors and bring them to justice, as well as gain valuable intelligence from the enemies of Japan abroad (In OTL, the Oniwaban infiltrated the United States to spy on the Americans). Do you wish to accept this position?

Option A. Yes! I will serve as the leader of the spy network. I will hunt down all traitors to the Shogun and bring them to justice (Grants Oniwaban-Leader Bonus).

Option B. No! Japan is at peace, and everyone knows that betraying the Shogun will be punishable by death. I will strengthen my resolve to stay in the Roju and keep traditions alive (Grants Determined Daimyo Bonus).

Oniwaban-Leader
Ability: Does not grant bonus voting power, but gives the owner of the bonus the ability to attempt to make private posts public (Chance of success based on dice roll), and can spy on enemy nations (If dice favors you, you will be able to lift the fog of war off of the targeted nation and get details about their armies, navies, and leaders)
Duration: Until revoked by the Shogun, character dies, or westernization.

Player Actions Needed: Okay so no budget has been posted, which means that we will be using the budget from last term, and Otto can post a new one after the next update. I need you all to vote on the following:

Sample Ballot:

Iron Horse Decree of Ninko 29*: Yes/No/Abstain
The Japanese Naval Self-Strengthening Act*: Yes/No/Abstain

[Region]
[Daimyo Rank (Provincal/Regional)/Karo]
[Bonus (If applicable)]

*=Reform

Voting ends Sunday at 11:00 PM EST, or Monday at 3:00 AM GMT. Playthrough will begin at 11:30 PM EST or 3:30 AM GMT following the close of this vote, so all Regional Daimyo need to place orders for troops and ships, and all Advisers need to do orders by then. If both reforms pass, then I will decide which one is implemented.

Last edited:
Iron Horse Decree of Ninko 29: Yes
The Japanese Naval Self-Strengthening Act: Yes

[Tohuku]
[Provincial Daimyo]
[No Bonus]

The Japanese Naval Self-Strengthening Act: Yes

[Provincial Daimyo]
[Kyushu]

If our illustrious Shogun will accept my humble advice, I would recommend that if both reforms are passed that we focus on our naval forces first. While these so-called Iron Horses are indeed wondrous, we are an island nation and thus our navy must come first and foremost. If our navy can rival that of the Nanban, then no invader will ever be able to set foot on the shores of Nippon.

- Daimyo Ito Katashi of Miyazaki

Iron Horse Decree of Ninko 29: No
The Japanese Naval Self-Strengthening Act: No

[Tohuku]
[Regional]
[No Bonus]

While there is a need to cope with changes, perhaps there is such a thing as moving too quickly? Have we not already made a great leap in letting the Nanban into our ports? Surely we must reevaluate our footing to make sure it is stable before we make another such great leap?

SATAKE YOSHIHIRO
10th Lord of Kubota

Iron Horse Decree of Ninko 29: No
The Japanese Naval Self-Strengthening Act: No

[Provincial]
[Kansai]
[Traditionalist Martyrs]

All should follow Elder Satake's wisdom. He knows what is best for Nippon and we should heed his advice about accommodating Nanban practices.

-Matsui Hideki

The Japanese Naval Self Strengthening Act: Yes

[Kansai]
[Provincial Daimyo]
[No Bonus]

[Kansai]
[Regional]

[Newcomer that almost took over bonus +0]

I find it quite curious indeed that the Tairo is ignoring the advice of his own handpicked advisors. Why in the name of the Kami would he appoint Lord Uesugi as Minister of the Interior and then vote against the new minister's first piece of well-intentioned advice? Perhaps, though of course he does not show it and would not dare to admit it, he is still resentful of campaigns conducted in Uesugi's name by other misguided individuals in the past, or jealous of Uesugi's popularity in other parts of the country and views him as a potential threat?

I do not believe that Lord Uesugi's proposals will help defend this nation against the Dutch or other hostile Nanban powers, so I do not view it as a priority at this point in time. Nevertheless, it is a good piece of legislation whether the misguided fools who surround and mislead the Shogun see that or not, and thus I am honour-bound to support it.

Iron Horse Decree: Yes
[Kyushu]
[Regional]
[Not a boring reactionary]

-- Hosokawa-dono, Lord of Higo and Roju of Kyushu

I find it quite curious indeed that the Tairo is ignoring the advice of his own handpicked advisors. Why in the name of the Kami would he appoint Lord Uesugi as Minister of the Interior and then vote against the new minister's first piece of well-intentioned advice? Perhaps, though of course he does not show it and would not dare to admit it, he is still resentful of campaigns conducted in Uesugi's name by other misguided individuals in the past, or jealous of Uesugi's popularity in other parts of the country and views him as a potential threat?

I do not believe that Lord Uesugi's proposals will help defend this nation against the Dutch or other hostile Nanban powers, so I do not view it as a priority at this point in time. Nevertheless, it is a good piece of legislation whether the misguided fools who surround and mislead the Shogun see that or not, and thus I am honour-bound to support it.

Iron Horse Decree: Yes
[Kyushu]
[Regional]
[Not a boring reactionary]

Hosokawa-san, I must say that I do find your insistence of my own ill will to be disturbing- surely there is such a thing as reason behind my actions, as I would hope that you see. Daimyo Uesugi is a competent man, but to proceed forward so soon after such major developments would be foolhardy. As though a great wave crashes on a calm beach, we must have time to prepare before it comes once more? I can assure that I live to serve Nippon as an advisor to the Shogun- if my own power was the natural reward, would it not be understood that I could simply advise the appointment of the members of the Roju in the sense that [you all] might support my intentions (and, as an effect, the Shogun's intentions) in the future?

SATAKE YOSHIHIRO
10th Lord of Kubota

Iron Horse Decree of Ninko 29: Aye
The Japanese Naval Self Strengthening Act: Aye

[Chugoku]
[Regional]
[No bonus]

~ Daimyo Ōshiro Kazuki of Okayama, Roju of Chugoku

Last edited:
Hosokawa-san, I must say that I do find your insistence of my own ill will to be disturbing- surely there is such a thing as reason behind my actions, as I would hope that you see. Daimyo Uesugi is a competent man, but to proceed forward so soon after such major developments would be foolhardy. As though a great wave crashes on a calm beach, we must have time to prepare before it comes once more? I can assure that I live to serve Nippon as an advisor to the Shogun- if my own power was the natural reward, would it not be understood that I could simply advise the appointment of the members of the Roju in the sense that [you all] might support my intentions (and, as an effect, the Shogun's intentions) in the future?

SATAKE YOSHIHIRO
10th Lord of Kubota

You speak of reform as if it were a fighter's blow, something to be braced against, intercepted or parried. Must I remind the Honourable Lord that reform is not merely something to be put up with, but a means and mechanism to allow us - that is, the government and people of Japan - to deal with the blows which may be set against us by hostile powers? If either reform were purely social or economic in nature, with no meaningful military application, then I could perhaps understand the Tairo's stated rationale, but as this is not the case I find it very perplexing indeed. When the given reasons are unsatisfactory, it is only natural for one to consider... alternate explanations.

The Japanese Naval Self Strengthening Act: No

[Chubu]
[Provincial]

((Regional, surely?))

The Japanese Naval Self Strengthening Act: No
[Chubu]
[Regional]