• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I am confused as to why several Daimyo seem to think this Edict of Education is a wise idea. It is simply dividing the nation against itself and taking away power from Edo. Soon the Shogun and Emperor will not be able to run Nippon as the powers will have been thrown away to the Regional Daimyo. What worries me even more is that respected members of Unity & Honour are leading the call for support, men such as Lord Hideki and Lord Shizuoka.

- Daijo-Daijin Mori Takachika

The Shogun draws strength from his loyal vassals. And strengthening Regional ties helps unify daimyo who would otherwise be fractious. It is the duty of the honorable Roju to be the wise elders and field generals of our supreme commander, and it is the duty of provincial Daimyo like myself to serve as the officers under their command. That is how the nation draws strength, it is built upon the stones of the Provinces, which together with this legislation we can build up into the solid foundation of the Regions. Would you rather the Imperial Court try to run the entire nation from one city?
- Tsugaru

Satake (1843-1846): A Murder and a Death

On January 3, 1843, two Dutch sailors were murdered in Nagasaki. The murderers infiltrated the European trade port in Nagasaki. The Dutch soon demanded the identities of those responsible. The Shogun ordered an investigation into the matter, and many thought that these were petty radicals bent on removing the Europeans from Japan. It turned out to not be the case. An investigation conducted by the Shogun in collaboration with Daimyos Hosokawa and Yamamoto brought back three murderers. One murderer though sparked outcry. The leader of the murderers was Hideki Aoi, cousin to the Daimyo of Kobe, Matsui Hideki. The Matsui clan were prominent figures in Japanese society, and were viewed as staunch traditionalists, opposing all forms of Nanban contact. The Dutch did not care for who it was who killed their sailors, but that justice be served or "severe consequences will be brought down upon Japan". The fate of the Aoi soon caught the attention of the entire island.

ovls9eJ.jpg

(Frederick van Fontaine, one of the sailors killed)

The Shogun decided to seek the advice of Foreign Adviser Daimyo Motoro Kusanagi, whose decision would be most accurate due to his experience in foreign affairs. Motoro would the final arbitrator in the fate of Hideki Aoi. The decision came five days later, when the Shogun, upon recommendation by Daimyo Motoro, sentenced Hideki Aoi and his two accomplices, to death. All three men were executed in Nagasaki. It was said upon this decision that Daimyo Matsui Hideki stormed out of the Roju chambers, and rumors had it he was about to challenged Motoro to a duel. Hideki was not the only one who was angered by the executions, for many conservatives and reactionary citizens soon began rioting in the streets. They proclaimed Hideki Aoi as a martyr, and sought to begin the removal of the Europeans. In one violent incident, a ship was locked in harbor as it was surrounded by hundreds of Japanese protesters. Eventually order was restored, but it left a deep scar between the traditionalists and the modernizers. Daimyo Satake, the Head Elder of the Roju, returned from his vacation to restore the balance of order.

QcMZzME.jpg

(The Execution of Hideki Aoi)

In other events, the Japanese would find themselves with an alliance offer. The Chinese, who had been long trading partners with Japan in their port of Okinawa, offered a hand of alliance to Japan. This was when China was starting to draw the attention of major western powers, most notably the British. Daimyo Satake would advise the Shogun to agree to an alliance with China, and the two strongest powers in the region were one force. China had the largest military in the world, and ranked #1 in military standing compared to every nation, in size at least. China's army was still pretty backwards in regards to organization and technological development. Daimyo Satake would also improve on his own army in Tohuku, by replacing two units of ashigaru with two units of riflemen, making him the first Daimyo to utilize new technology in his army.

When 1846 dawned, many began to see a new sign of change. The Shogun was considering new suggestions for who would be in the Roju, and Japan was seemingly back in order after the death of Aoi. However, troubling news came from Kyoto. Emperor Ninko became bed-ridden, and no one was in-contact with him, not even his trusted chancellor Daimyo Mori. No one knows what will become of the Emperor, but one thing is now certain, the west was beginning to show influence in Japan. If a European nation can get three men executed, then there is no telling what they will do next.

------------------------------

Player Actions Needed: It is time for Roju declarations! Declare your intent all ye Daimyo (Except Qwerty for he has that bonus) who want to serve. The Declaration period shall last for two days until Monday at 9:00 PM EST or Tuesday at 1:00 AM GMT. Depending on who is running, the vote for that may last a day. Also, we can now reform a lot of stuff again.

NkMLszZ.png

Also, Andre, for being a good-sport and lending his family name to the special event, gets a special bonus:

Traditionalist Martyrs
Ability: Grants +1 voting power
Duration: Can be used by Andre only for every Matsui clansmen until westernization.

Last edited:
Nippon has been violated by western influences! First they force their trade and ideas upon us. Then they force good men of Nippon to be executed for their "god". Finally, they make us open our ports to China so that the Nanban can more efficiently corrupt us.

Resist the westerner, my fellow daimyos! I shall put myself forth for Daimyo of Kansai once again so that we may throw the red-cheeked devils from our shores!

-Hideki Matsui

Hr4Uo3N.gif

A Message to the Tokugawa Shogunate from the Kingdom of the Netherlands.
Let it be clear, that while the killings of Dutch sailors by Japanese civilians have had justice, further destruction of Dutch lives, property, and the disruption of the trade between the Empire of Japan and the Kingdom of the Netherlands shall not be tolerated. The Netherlands and the Japanese have been trading for over two-hundred years. I wish to see these good relations continue, but they cannot if Japan constantly endangers the property and lives of Dutch traders in Japan.

You have been warned.

-His Majesty William II, The King of the Netherlands

The fact that we were forced to execute our own people at the behest of the Dutch is tragic. What's even more tragic is that some of our own people sullied Nippon's name by resorting to such underhanded acts of violence against those Nanban who we welcomed into a part of our country. Now they will all start to view us as dishonourable scum, a nation filled with murderers, because of the actions of three fools. Dishonour upon all three of them!

- Daimyo Ito Katashi of Miyazaki

While the Nanban ways are terrible in far too many ways I must admit that one particular Nanban technology interests me greatly. This iron horse, guided by rails of steel and powered by a truly low substance, has captured my imagination. To that regard, I do think that members of the Imperial Court can replicate it here domestically.

To which brings me to my point. While I have not been the most proactive in legislation in any real regard, I must put forward this in my question to find my own Iron Horse.

Iron Horse Decree of Ninkō 29

The Imperial Court shall task the city of Edo to design and produce a Japanese example of Iron Horse technology, in which to be tested in order to see if it can and should be used throughout the Imperial Lands.

jg1c0nk.png

Dear citizens, I am deeply saddened and trouble to announce to you, that Emperor Ninko, the 120th Emperor of our glorious nation, whose reign stretched twenty-nine years, has died today. He passed into the arms of Amaterasu, to be seated among the Kami of his ancestors, and to be one with the earth. His passing was sudden and unexpected. May the new Emperor have a long and prosperous

Long Live the new Emperor, Emperor Kōmei!

2Ioy0QN.jpg
- Daimyo Mori Takachika, Daijo-Daijin of Glorious Nippon

((Post given to me by naxhi24))

The Emperor shall be greatly missed. May his successor bring his family honour through a long and prosperous reign.

- Daimyo Ito Katashi of Miyazaki

((PRIVATE : Qwerty7))

Good Lord Mori, over the years you have proven yourself to be a worthy supporter of the Emperor. Because of this I have decided to humbly request that you become one of the patrons of the Imperial Restoration Faction. They aim to restore the Emperor to his rightful position as de facto ruler of Nippon. Obviously the Shogun will oppose this so members identities will be kept confidential.

~Anonymous

Last edited:
The only way to stop a Nanban attack on Nippon is to learn their ways of war and their weapons, to aid in this necessary processes I put myself forth for Daimyo of Kansai.

-Kishiwada Aito

((Its a secret faction, members know each other but outsiders dont))