• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm curious as to how the daimyo intends to fund his new regional education act when the Financial Advisor sets the nation's education budget, and insists on cutting it.

-- Hosokawa-dono, Lord of Higo and Roju of Kyushu

While I agree with the honorable Roju about the need to reconsider the priorities of the Bakufu's budget, I will also say that if the Regions are to keep their individual character and the Daimyo are to maintain their rights there must be initiative on the Provincial and Regional level to engage in projects constructive to the nation. In the same way that the Roju serve the nation by raising armies, could the Regions not also come together to further academic and religious pursuits?

While I agree with the honorable Roju about the need to reconsider the priorities of the Bakufu's budget, I will also say that if the Regions are to keep their individual character and the Daimyo are to maintain their rights there must be initiative on the Provincial and Regional level to engage in projects constructive to the nation. In the same way that the Roju serve the nation by raising armies, could the Regions not also come together to further academic and religious pursuits?

I do not understand the logic of the Honourable Lord's argument. If a proposal is to be constructive to the Japanese nation, then by definition it must be Japanese in outlook, if not also in execution. Unless of course the Honourable lord is not referring to the Japanese nation, but to the nation of Tohoku? More importantly, you claim that such a move will help the daimyo retain their traditional rights; one assumes by giving them power over their region's curriculum. If this is true, then a daimyo or group of daimyo who seeks to retain Kankaku, or worse, promote Rangaku, as the cornerstone of his or their region's curriculum will by your act be allowed to do so. If he is not allowed to deviate from the regionalist curriculum you set, then your act curtails on the rights of daimyo; it is, in effect, centralisation masquerading as decentralisation.

Educational reform is a worthwhile topic for Japan's daimyo and the Shogun's advisors to pursue, but I am far from convinced that an act which attempts to centralise decentralisation, as opposed to the reverse, is anything but the wrong way to achieve it.

Well, as a member of the Thunder Alliance I do support the rights of some Regions to pursue Rangaku and others to retain Kangaku. That is why I am not seeking to centralize the curriculum in the capital. It is my belief that Chihogaku will reflect the character of a Region. If a Region is retaining Chinese and Korean traditions, that is their Regional way. If a Region is embracing a certain element of Rangaku, then that is part of their Regional Way.
- Tsugaru

Player Actions Needed: Vote on the Edict of Education

Sample Ballot:

Edict of Education: Yes/No/Abstain

[Daimyo Rank/Karo]
[Region]
[Bonus (If Applicable)]

Voting ends Saturday 9:00 PM EST or Sunday 1:00 AM GMT

((I Guess I'll start the voting.))

Edict of Education: No

[Daimyo]
[Chugoku]
[
Daijō-daijin]

- Daijo-Daijin Mori Takachika

Edict of Education Yes

[Daimyo]
[Chubu]

Edict of Education: Yes

[Provincial Daimyo]
[Tohuku]

Education Edict: No

[Regional Daimyo, Kyushu]

-- Hoskoawa-dono, Lord of Higo and Roju of Kyushu

[Provincial Daimyo]
[Kanasi]

[Provincial Daimyo]
[Chubu]

Edict of Education: Aye

[Regional]
[Kansai]

I'm surprised to see the Lord Hideki voting for any act that could lead to mandatory Rangaku classes in all schools in any given region... Perhaps this is a sign that the noble Lord has finally abandoned his silly old reactionary ways?

I'm surprised to see the Lord Hideki voting for any act that could lead to mandatory Rangaku classes in all schools in any given region... Perhaps this is a sign that the noble Lord has finally abandoned his silly old reactionary ways?

You are a disgrace to Nippon.

-Matsui

Edict of Education: No ((Yes, this would be better to save for any formal reform))

[Provincial Daimyo]
[Kyushu]

Yamamoto Hirakuni
Daimyo of Nagasaki

I am confused as to why several Daimyo seem to think this Edict of Education is a wise idea. It is simply dividing the nation against itself and taking away power from Edo. Soon the Shogun and Emperor will not be able to run Nippon as the powers will have been thrown away to the Regional Daimyo. What worries me even more is that respected members of Unity & Honour are leading the call for support, men such as Lord Hideki and Lord Shizuoka.

- Daijo-Daijin Mori Takachika