• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If the Head Elder does not object to the building of more harbors and the change of currency, then the reforms must not push too far in the direction of modernization. I do however have some questions about the accumulation of all rice grown to the capital.

- Daimyo Tsugaru Noboyuki of the Hirosaki Domain

You know what they say about the man who hoards his rice.

-Matsui

I believe he is quoting a proverb from Kirisutokyō.
- Tsugaru

If the Head Elder does not object to the building of more harbors and the change of currency, then the reforms must not push too far in the direction of modernization. I do however have some questions about the accumulation of all rice grown to the capital.

I realise that I may not have worded the Article on the gathering and distribution of rice clearly enough.
The Article is intended to mean that rice will be gathered by the Shogun's officials, counted and then have enough rice to last each family a year returned. Surplus rice was to be centralized by the Shogun so that he can distribute some to each of the Daimyo. He could then use some remaining rice to pay artisans and subsidise merchants thus allowing the economy to flourish. Obviously some rice would be stored so that the people do not starve if Nippon is unfortunate enough to receive another famine.
If the wording of the Article does not clearly portray this to you if it passes, which requires you vote yes, then an amendment could be made.

~Yoshito, 1st Lord Fureno Shizuoka

Edict to Open National Harbours: Abstain
Tenpo Reforms: Abstain
184X Budget: Aye

[Regional Daimyo]
[Chugoku]

((Double Roju term: Abstain))

Edict to Open National Harbours: Yes
Tenpo Reforms: Yes
184X Budget: Yes

[Provincial Daimyo]
[Tohuku]

- Tsugaru, Daimyo of Aomori and Lord of the Hirosaki Domain

((Voting Closed))

Final Tally (With Bonuses and Samurai Bonuses Added):

Guide: Yes/No/Abstain

Edict to Open National Harbors: 17.5/4/2
Passed, reform to Imported Weapons

Tenpo Reforms: 7.5/12/5
Failed

Budget: 10.5/6/8
Passed

((Extended Roju Terms: 4/5/7
Roju Terms will stay at five years))

Satake (1841-1843): Start of Something New

The new selection of Roju members would see the start of a divide between those who supported the Shogun, and those who did not. This was not better seen anywhere else then in Chugoku, where Daimyo Asano Naritaka of Hiroshima was selected as the representative from Chugoku over Daimyo Mori Takachika of Choshu. Both men pleaded with the Shogun to select them, and Daimyo Asano went as far as to ask the Shogun to declare Mori a traitor should he refuse to accept Asano as a Roju member. The Shogun made sure calmer heads prevailed. However, it was not long after Asano was selected that Mori received a request from Emperor Ninko himself to come to Kyoto to serve as the Chancellor of the Realm. It was now clear to Daimyo Mori that perhaps serving the Emperor would be better then serving the Shogun.

Once the Roju was in-place, and Daimyo Satake was selected to once again lead the Roju, the work could begin. The biggest debate of the year would be given to a proposed edict, the Edict to Open National Harbors. The Edict would see the opening of seven additional harbors to Nanban trade, one for each region of Japan. They would be strictly maintained, and the Nanban would be watched very carefully, for even the slightest bit of chaos or disharmony and the port would be shut down. The main arguement for the edict was "If we can learn the secrets of the Nanban, then we can better defend ourselves from their aggression." It worked, and the edict was voted in-favor by the Daimyo Council and declared by the Shogun. The new ports would be built across Japan, and would lead to more foreign trade. The Dutch were at first the only western traders, but soon the Portuguese began taking an interest in trade. Portugal needed the extra currency, for tales from the merchants claim that Portugal is being conquered by the Spanish, with half of the country gone to Spain. Soon, the Spanish would also begin trade from their base in the nearby Philippines. Yet, it was all extremely limited, and carefully watched. The main port would be Nagasaki, as it has been for the past two-hundred years. Nagasaki would be expanded upon to be made bigger for the incoming European trade.

zfNpt2t.jpg

(A New Port)

Europeans did have something to trade for. The biggest of which was firearms. Firearms had been disregarded for centuries by Samurai and Daimyo as "unhonorable weapons". Matchlocks were used by farmers and peasants in defense of farm land, and over two-hundred gun-smiths existed in the country. Yet, compared to western muskets, these matchlocks were very far behind. The introduction of muskets would help spur the rise of the modern Japanese soldier. These muskets were many things from basic flintlocks to state of the art Minnie Rifles, which utilize the technologies of rifling and the newly created Minnie Ball to devastating effect. Samurai and traditionalists immediately rejected these weapons. Yet, to many Daimyo, they presented an opportunity. Katanas and other Japanese melee weapons required years of practice and concentration in order to be mastered and used efficiently. With the introduction of new firearms, all it would take is a man with a rifle who knows how to load, aim, and fire it to devastating effect. This would allow bigger armies of more people, each one having a rifle in hand. They would be supported by Samurai and cavalry. Armies could get bigger, for with the increased military spending by almost 60%, more and more men would be able to serve Japan in the army. Indeed the rifle would change the face of warfare in Japan forever.

5sX7Fiy.jpg

(A New Japanese Rifleman)

Besides the further opening of Japan, nothing much happened. Other then the suggestion of Daimyo Asano to hand out a surplus of fish to his people, nothing extraordinary happened. Daimyo Asano would try to expand his military by five units of ashigaru and five units of cavalry, but only got one ashigaru unit out of it all. He would also build three out of four clippers he requested in his region. Yet, with the cutbacks on naval spending, his ships would begin to decay and suffer from lack of supply. It would take a lot more then just four clippers to begin planning wars across oceans. Chugoku was indeed the only area of interest in Japan. It grew so tedious for Daimyo Satake that he left to vacation in his summer home for an extended period of time.

Yet, the introduction of firearms on a grand scale in Japan would be the first steps to breaking out of this feudal trance. Perhaps with more reform and greater openings can the Japanese people begin to develop to be on par with or surpass the Nanban in technology.

------------------------------

Player Actions Needed: You all got a day to post edicts, post recruitment (if you are a regional Daimyo), and IC. You can not reform at the moment. Also, Korona's Samurai, Clopiroth's Samurai, and Jack's Samurai shall be put on standby for now, which means that their Daimyo will not receive a bonus for upcoming votes until they announce they are once again active in this game. Regional Daimyo can now recruit infantry units due to the new reforms.

T3AGnDN.png

4rGtcX7.png

rYL8BX8.png

jagj5qe.png

l1afbpq.png

jKtNYz0.png

nHwCXV8.png

2GrONHu.png

About the part where I said Spain ate half of Portugal? I wasnt lying...
wA0haRH.png

Last edited:
If the Miniball strengthens the Daimyo, it strengthens Nippon. It is up to us to defend our ancestral rights. In victory or defeat, the battles of the age will be fought with black powder.

- Tsugaru

((For Andre))

Gold Digger

Kobe currently is one of the biggest hubs of gold and precious gems in Japan. They say that Kobe's gold is the biggest contributor to the Japanese treasury. However, to many European merchants, the gold is a lure, something that the west craves. It is what drove the Spanish to conquer the Western Hemisphere, and helped drive colonization across the world. Gold is what draws those seeking fortune in. Recently though, Europeans in the opened ports across Japan wish to trade for said Gold. The income from that gold will be enough to fuel any ambition, political or not, that the Daimyo of Kobe desires. Yet, if he rejects the Europeans, he could be seen as a steadfast traditionalist, one who deserves the right to serve alongside the Shogun.

Option A. I will trade with the Europeans. The wealth I will obtain will make me more prominent among the other Daimyo, and will help me influence the Shogun to keep Japan out of the hands of the Nanban (Gives you "Trading With Europeans" bonus).

Option B. I refuse to trade with the Europeans! Japanese gold belongs to Japan only! To hell with the Nanban! (Gives you "Determined Daimyo" bonus).

Trading With Europeans
Ability: Grants +1 voting power.
Duration: Until Westernization.

((Well since no one posted any bills, I might as well give you all an extra day to get in whatever you need to get in. If nothing is in by tomorrow at 9:00 PM EST or Friday at 1:00 AM GMT, I will continue with the game and progress some more years))

The Han (Domain) system, established by the Tokugawa, and an appreciation for Nippon's natural beauty and vast territory are essential parts of the Eastern Spirit that should be preserved and celebrated in order to reinforce our traditions and our system of rulership. With that in mind, I ask the Daimyo Council to consider the following Edict.

Edict on Education
  • The official academic philosophy will be changed from the prevailing and implicit Kangaku (Chinese Studies) to an explicit exhortation of Chihogaku (Regional Studies), emphasizing the unique character of the lands and peoples of the Domains and the harmony of man and nature.
  • Between the current date and Tenpo 19 (1848), each Roju will select another Daimyo from their Region to be Shikigami-no-Daigaku* of a Regional School which the Shikigami-no-Daigaku shall found in their Province, giving them a name and a location of natural beauty emphasizing the unique character of their homeland. These Regional Schools will teach the martial arts, poetry, history, cuisine, and so on of the Region and produce works celebrating local landmarks, wildlife, and traditions.
  • The Shikigami-no-Daigaku shall have special dispensation as Provincial Daimyo to recruit a single Samurai to serve as the Shisho (Instructor) of their Regional School. (This part will especially need to be approved by Naxhi of course)
*(The head of the Imperial University is the Kami-no-Daigaku, God of Universities, so these lesser chancellors would be the Shikigami or servant spirits of the Universities)

Reactions:
I'm curious as to how the daimyo intends to fund his new regional education act when the Financial Advisor sets the nation's education budget, and insists on cutting it.

-- Hosokawa-dono, Lord of Higo and Roju of Kyushu