• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I graciously accept my position as Jisha Bugyō.

-Hayashi Tadafusa

((Tell you what, I am going to put the whole extended Roju term thing up to vote to get a better idea on Sunday where you all stand, so dont consider it implemented yet.))

184X Budget

Taxes:

Poor: 60%

Middle: 60%

Rich: 60%

Expenses:

Stockpile:

Land: 50%

Naval: 30%

Construction: 25%

Other Expenses:

Education: 70%

Administration: 50%

Social Spending: 0%

Military Spending: 90%

Tariffs

Tariffs: 100%

Fund allocation:
Funds will be given to expand the army, navy, and infrastructure.

Contingency 1: insufficient funding

Should the treasury ever fall below £1000 in circumstances of a deficit, all strata's will have taxes increased in 5% increments until they reach 75% nominal tax rate. If this fails then the land stockpile shall be reduced to 30%. If this fails to reach a surplus, then the Military Spending shall be reduced to 60%. If this fails to reach a surplus, Education shall be reduced to 50%. If this fails to reach a surplus, then Administration shall be reduced to 30%. Should this fail, the Military Spending shall be reduced to 50%. If this fails to reach a surplus, Education will be further reduced to 30%. If this still fails to reach a surplus, taxes will be increased by increments of 5% until a surplus in achieved.

Contingency 2: War Outside or Inside the Nation ((the later is only applicable to large scale rebellions should they occur))

In the event that Japan be involved in a state of war, foreign or domestic, the Land Stockpile will be increased to 100%, in the event the war requires significant naval action the naval stockpile will also be increased to 100%. In order to compensate for budgetary deficits in this incident, taxes should be increased by 5% until a balance is achieved. If this fails Education and Administration will take 5% spending cuts until they are at 50% and 25% respectively or until a balance is achieved, this failing tariffs will be increased by 5% until a balance is achieved, failing this, administration, education and social spending will take 5% cuts until they reach 0% or a balance is achieved. If balance is not achieved, the navy will be immediately docked and funding slashed to bear minimum, this failing Military spending will take cuts of 5% until it reaches 0% or a balance is achieved, this failing military stockpile will take 5% cuts until it reaches 50%. If all previous contingencies fail, notify the cabinet immediately to see if the war is able to be terminated. On the conclusion of the state of War, civil or external, military spending and the stockpile, taxes and tariffs are to be reduced to the pre-war level and Contingency 1 applies as normal. Contingency 2 supersedes Contingency 1.

Contingency 3: Surplus in reference to surplus greater then 200 pounds per day

If a significant surplus is achieved taxes will be reduced on all strata's by increments of 1% until the nominal tax rates reach 40%. If the surplus is still greater then 200 per day and the government is constructing buildings, building ships or recruiting troops the construction spending will be increased until the surplus is less then 200 per day. After the building is done it will be reset back to 25%.

((Don't kill me for wording, I don't have time or ability to make a more late feudal Japan sounding budget. Also if your wondering this is stolen from my PttP budget but reworked to make as much sense as someone can do at 1 in the morning on a smartphone.))

Last edited:
Although I agree that it would be wise to reduce spending on army and naval stockpiles in times of peace, keeping tariffs at 100% in order to fund an absurd level of military expenditure in peacetime and in conjunction with the aforementioned cuts to army and navy munitions spending is imbecilic. The concept of contingency plans in case of deficit or war are a sensible initiative, but their execution, like the rest of Lord Date's budget as a whole, is haphazard and leaves an awful lot to be desired.

On balance, I would say that even Lord Uesugi's last budget was preferable to Lord Date's, and that's most certainly saying something.

-- Hosokawa-dono, Lord of Higo and Roju of Kyushu.

Although I agree that it would be wise to reduce spending on army and naval stockpiles in times of peace, keeping tariffs at 100% in order to fund an absurd level of military expenditure in peacetime and in conjunction with the aforementioned cuts to army and navy munitions spending is imbecilic. The concept of contingency plans in case of deficit or war are a sensible initiative, but their execution, like the rest of Lord Date's budget as a whole, is haphazard and leaves an awful lot to be desired.

On balance, I would say that even Lord Uesugi's last budget was preferable to Lord Date's, and that's most certainly saying something.

-- Hosokawa-dono, Lord of Higo and Roju of Kyushu.

Uesugi bows.

Thank you for the compliment Lord Higo.

You must forgive me Hosokawa-dono, does lack a bit in some elements, yet I have only been informed very shortly of this being my job, being at my estates in Sendai morning the death of a family member. The Shogun, after informing me of my duties asked for a budget promptly and this is the best I could do in the time frame I was informed of.

The art of kenjutsu was never an easy one to master and demanded constant practice and dedication.This is why Asano Naritaka tried to spend at least an hour a day in the dojo. The Way of the Sword did not only provide him with useful physical exercise, but let him to ponder alone on the political matters, while he was slashing through the air with a wooden blade. He was resting and drinking cold water, sweaty under his kimono, whe one of his samurai retainers entered the hall and informed him of another message from Kyoto - he was appointed as the War Adviser to Shogun.

The Lord of Hiroshima smiled - it was quite ironic that he was initially against the establishment of this office, wishing such powers to belong only to the leader of the Bakufu regime himself - and yet he became the first holder of the new important office. And he knew that he would eagerly serve in it now - for betterment of the Japanese military was one of the most important aims of the young Daymio

It is an honor for me to be appointed as the War Advisor by the Shogun and Tairo. I must say that I would dedicate all my efforts to better the state of Imperial forces and navy - for it is clear that people that are not ready to feed a strong and effecient army would be forced to do so one day. But it would the army of the foreign conquerors.

In the past the main aim of our military was to protect peace and order within the Land of the Rising Sun - however now, in the changed circumstances of these turbulent times, we need to see that there are new dangers, that are much more formidable than the rebel warlords or peasant dissidents. The Nanban expansionism is what we need to confront now - and in this is our army should reach new levels of strength and skill.

While we currently lack the modern weaponry needed to conduct the most effective defense from barbarians, if neccessary, we should however do what we can - namely, increase the size and professionalism of both our land and naval forces.This is why, as Roju of Chugoku, I would recruit five Ashigaru Regiments and five Yabusame Regiments, as well as construct four clippers, within Chugoku. I also encourage the Daymios to provide my office with information regarding the size and consistence of their troops and the identity of their commanders.

-- Asano Naritaka, Daymio of Hiroshima, Roju of Chugoku and War Advisor to the Shogun

As foreign adviser we will continue curtailing Western influence as much as possible while maintaining trade levels and furthering relations with the Chinese mainland and Korea. Many would deem this more of the same from prior but while we shun the West's traditions and debate its other aspects we do not need to do so here in the East.

~ Motoro Kusenagi, Lord of Yokohama

Player Actions: Vote on the following:

Edict to Open National Harbors*: Yes/No/Abstain
Tenpo Reforms: Yes/No/Abstain
184X Budget: Yes/No/Abstain

[Daimyo Level/Karo]
[Region]
[Bonus (If Applicable. If not, ignore or put "none")]

((Double Roju term from 5 years to 10 years: Yes/No/Abstain))

*=Reform

The OOC vote is open to everyone, but the IC vote is restricted to Daimyo and Karo-Samurai. Voting will end Tuesday at 9:00 PM EST or Wednesday at 1:00 AM GMT.

Last edited:
Also; Bonus List is now required since we are going to have bonuses. More to come as the game continues.

Bonuses in Under the Rising Sun:

Masters of the Shogunate (Satake Dynasty Bonus)
Description: For Twenty years, the Satake Family has advised the Shogunate in the highest position obtainable in Edo Japan. While many claim the Tokugawa ruled Japan, many argue that the Satakes were the true masters of the isles.
Ability: +3 Voting Power for all Satake Family members played by Firehound15.
Duration: Indefinite
Owner(s): Satake Family ((Firehound15))

Masters of the Empire (Date Family Bonus)
Description: Who would have thought that simply offering to build a military academy in his domain would be the smartest decision the Emperor ever did? Date Munenari led the Imperial forces to victory in the Boshin War as Supreme Commander of Imperial Forces. He led the transitory government, and abolished the Han System. His actions paved the way for Japan to enter the Modern World, and he was the author of its first constitution. This man will be hailed as a hero along the likes of Oda Nobunaga, Toyotomi Hideyoshi, and Tokugawa Ieyasu. His family will forever be honored by him.
Ability: Grants +4 Voting Power for all Date family members controlled by Riccardo93/Revan529
Duration: Indefinite until Revoked by GM
Owner: Date Family (Revan529/Riccardo93)

Conqueror Legacy (Sakamoto Family Bonus)
Description: He is considered the last great Samurai of Feudal Japan. Date Munenari was the brains behind the Imperial Victory in the Boshin War, but Sakamoto Naotari was the brawn. He led the Imperial armies to numerous victories over the Shogun, trouncing their best general, and seizing much territory. His forces even did the ultimate move and took Edo. Sakamoto's drive would see the Imperials win the Boshin War, and for that, he will go down in history as a great Samurai. His family will forever be praised for his actions in the Boshin War, and in the convention as the father of the Imperial Diet.
Ability: Grants +3 Voting Power for all Sakamoto family members controlled by zenphoenix
Duration: Indefinite until Revoked by GM
Owner: Sakamoto Family (zenphoenix)

Pacifist Legacy:
Description: The Uesugi family has been on the front lines of the pacifist movement as far back as the late Shogunate. The Uesugi family has always wanted peace over war, and have done everything they can to ensure peace wins out over conflict. This had been what the Uesugi family wanted as they advised Shoguns and Emperors over the fate of Japan. Uesugi Narinori's legacy of peace makes the Uesugi family very respectful in the eyes of even the most war-hungry members of society.
Ability: +2 VP
Duration: Indefinite or until revoked by GM
Owner: Uesugi Dynasty members played by Dadarian

Modernizer Legacy:
Description: Hosokawa Mitsuhide was the brains behind the modernization of Japan. He was the first to proclaim that Japan should westernize and adapt to the ways of the west rather then keep on rejecting them. Mitsuhide was considered the founder of the westernization movement, which ultimately led to the westernization of Japan from a feudal society to a modern one. For that, his family shall be respected in all ways.
Ability: +2 VP
Duration: Indefinite or until revoked by GM
Owner: Hosokawa Dynasty members player by LordTempest

Glorious Victor
Description: These men are credited with great victories that turned the tide of battle during the war. They are to be praised for their efforts to the war cause, and shall forever be honored by Japan.
Ability: Grants +2 Voting Power.
Duration: Until character's death.
Owner(s):

Imperial Victor
Description: These men fought for the Emperor and won. Each of these men contributed troops, cash, and supplies to the Imperial cause, and helped win the Boshin War.
Ability: Grants +1 Voting Power
Duration: Until character's death.
Owners: Kishiwada Yukio (mrlifeless)

Exiled/Imprisoned/POW
Ability: -50% Voting Power (Rounds Down)
Duration: As Long as Character is in a position that makes him/her unable to vote.
Owner(s):

Father of the Constitution

Definition: This man has written the bases of our current government. He shall be more influential since he knows the system like the back of his hand.
Ability: +1 VP
Duration: As long as the constitution he wrote is in effect or until character's death.
Owner: Date Munenari (Riccardo93)

Failed Assassin
Definition: These men were caught trying to assassinate people and must wait to assassinate again.
Ability: Prevents Assassination for 10 years
Duration: 10 years from the last failed assassination.
Owner(s): Andre (till 1901), Michaelangelo (till 1896).

Last edited:
Edict to Open National Harbours: Yes
Tenpo Reforms: No

[Provincial Daimyo]
[Kyushu]

((Double Roju term from 5 years to 10 years: No))

While the first edict is an excellent step towards improving trade to better learn the ways of the West, I feel that the Tenpo Reforms are not as well refined. The first clause states that the Shogun takes all crops from our farmers, but does not provide compensation for such an action. Do we expect all our farmers to go destitute while the Shogun hordes their grain? This system forces the farmers of Nippon to rely solely on the kindness of the Shogun or the Daimyos for their survival, which is a dangerous precedent. Farmers should at least be paid for their crops if they are to have them all claimed by the Shogun. I also feel that implementing a new currency will add unnecessary complications to our economy. The third clause alone has my full support though.

- Daimyo Ito Katashi of Miyazaki

((Oh crap, I almost forgot the budget! Ballot edited to include budget, please post new votes to include it please))

[Provincial Daimyo]
[Kyushu]

While the first edict is an excellent step towards improving trade to better learn the ways of the West, I feel that the Tenpo Reforms are not as well refined. The first clause states that the Shogun takes all crops from our farmers, but does not provide compensation for such an action. Do we expect all our farmers to go destitute while the Shogun hordes their grain? This system forces the farmers of Nippon to rely solely on the kindness of the Shogun or the Daimyos for their survival, which is a dangerous precedent. Farmers should at least be paid for their crops if they are to have them all claimed by the Shogun. I also feel that implementing a new currency will add unnecessary complications to our economy. The third clause alone has my full support though.

- Daimyo Ito Katashi of Miyazaki

((Edited Ballot with budget))

184X Budget: Abstain

[Provincial Daimyo]
[Kyushu]

Edict to open harbours: No
Tempo Reforms: No
Budget: No

((Double Roju term: Yes))

Yamamoto Hirakuni
(Provincial Daimyo)
(Kyushu)

(The opening post said it was always cool to join, so I skimmed the thread and made a character. Hope this is ok)

Name: Sakai Tadazane (b. 1814), Lord of Shonai
Class: Daimyo
Province of Control ((For Daimyo Only)): Yamagata
Background: tbd

jwSvG7V.jpg

8V6fqSd.png

Just as rain, born formless, is nonetheless part of the storm; this one who has yet to make a name among the daimyo is part of the Thunder Alliance.

Nippon is a diverse empire and each region has its own rich traditions. And just as the Emperor's wisdom radiates upon the Shogunate, the wisdom of the Ronju enables the harmony of the other Daimyo which enables the Samurai to be harmonious with the countryside. Be it in the name of self-strengthening or in well-intentioned attempts to loudly demonstrate one's piety to tradition and the divine Emperor, too much centralization of power in the capital would be a mistake.

184X Budget: Abstain

[Provincial Daimyo]
[Kanasi]

((Double Roju term from 5 years to 10 years: Abstain))