• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
(( PRIVATE: Takeshi Ohba & Sakamoto ))

I would like to invite you to my humble home to discuss matters relating to reforming the governance of our proud nation. Specifically I would like you to consider the following proposal:

日本政府の改革
Nipponseifu no kaikaku
Reformation of the Government of Japan

I: The [将軍] Shogun will be appointed by the Emperor.

~A: The available candidates will be the Emperor's faithful [大名] Daimyo.

~B: The [将軍] Shogun serves for life, but the Emperor can order his abdication.

~C: A [大名] Daimyo can not be [将軍] Shogun and serve as a [老中] Rōjū at the same time.

II: The [将軍] Shogun will be the military leader of [日本] Nihon.

~A: The [将軍] Shogun reserves the right to call upon 50% of a [大名] Daimyo's military at any time; they will form part of the [帝国陸軍] Teikoku rikugun.

~B: The [将軍] Shogun can dictate peace terms but can not issue a declaration of war.

~C: The [将軍] Shogun appointsthe leaders of the [帝国陸軍] Teikoku rikugun.

~D: The [将軍] Shogun can request the construction of ships and/or recruiting of men in any province. These tasks will be the highest priority of the honored province.

III: Domestic affairs shall be run by the [老中] Rōjū.

~A: Construction of ports, railways, etc, will be determined by each [老中] Rōjū for his own region.

~B: The [老中] Rōjū can declare wars.

~C: Other affairs will be decided by the [大名協議会] Daimyo Council. Each [老中] Rōjū reserves the right to veto one proposal each year.

IV: The Emperor's word is law; except when:

~A: Demanding the execution or "sacking" of a [老中] Rōjū; the [大名協議会] Daimyo Council will decide the fate of a [老中] Rōjū instead.

~B: When a proposal has been vetoed by a [老中] Rōjū.

Last edited:
Reactions:
((What do you mean by "National Goals" precisely? because if you mean NF placement that basically puts poor Oxford out of a job.))

~B: The [老中] Rōjū will vote on the use of National Focus based on (The Minister of XXX)'s recommendations.

((essentially "Oxford" says what the National Focus's will be but the Roju can decide to vote on it if it does not appease them (sort of like the Shogun could do)))

~B: The [老中] Rōjū will vote on the use of National Focus based on (The Minister of XXX)'s recommendations.

((essentially "Oxford" says what the National Focus's will be but the Roju can decide to vote on it if it does not appease them (sort of like the Shogun could do)))

((That's rather pointless. I mean, if Dada proposes a budget and we reject it on the grounds of x, he can propose another budget which takes into account x as well as his original plans. If Oxford says "NF clergy" and we all say "lol no, NF soldiers," then Oxford can either do what we say (making his job a rubber stamp, basically) or he can keep on proposing other NFs, and we have to keep on voting, until we agree on something. As that is basically all the Interior Minister does - proposing NFs, I think what you're proposing is a tad unfair to Oxford or whomever the IM is.))

Last edited:
The world seems to have gone mad - for none of my noble ancestors never could imagine Nippon, where samurai would dare to scorn the godly authority of the Emperor and their natural masters, the Daimyo - and speak against the Order set by Heavens themselves.

- Daimyo Asano Naritaka, Lord of Hiroshima

Reactions:
((That's rather pointless. I mean, if Dada proposes a budget and we reject it on the grounds of x, he can propose another budget which takes into account x as well as his original plans. If Oxford says "NF clergy" and we all say "lol no, NF soldiers," then Oxford can either do what we say (making his job a rubber stamp, basically) or he can keep on proposing other NFs, and we have to keep on voting, until we agree on something. As that is basically all the Interior Minister does - proposing NFs, I think what you're proposing is a tad unfair to Oxford or whomever the IM is.))

((Clause Removed.))

((There is no MoW because in other IAARs the MoW's job was to raise troops, which is made obsolete due to that power belonging to Regional Daimyo. Also Tempest, oxford said that you two were joint collaborating on the ships, so I let him decide on the navy. Anyway, back to ICing boys))

(( Also Tempest, oxford said that you two were joint collaborating on the ships))

((We never actually agreed to work together! I simply suggested that we should and never heard back from him. And that was only about frigates - I had no intention whatsoever to recruit transports!))

((There is no MoW because in other IAARs the MoW's job was to raise troops, which is made obsolete due to that power belonging to Regional Daimyo. Also Tempest, oxford said that you two were joint collaborating on the ships, so I let him decide on the navy. Anyway, back to ICing boys))
((Before returning to ICing can I ask you a question? Can I repropose my War Adviser Act?))

Yoshito, I believe that the Nipponseifu no kaikaku is a good proposal, except you probably should clarify the clause allowing Roju to declare war. Maybe they should reach a consensus before they declare war? And the shogun should merely suggest peace terms, while the Roju again reach a consensus on what the terms are. And the Roju should not be allowed to declare war on each other, as that is a potential loophole in your proposal.

~Sakamoto

War Adviser Act
1-- The War Adviser is appointed by the Tairo
2-- The functions of the War Adviser are:
a-- Suggest a nation to attack and give satisfactory reasons about that.
b-- Appoint the Chief of the Japanese Army.
c-- Mobilize the troops in times of war.
d-- Lead the Japanese Army in times of war with the Shogun and the Tairo.

-- Takeshi Ohba 武大場, Daimyo of Yamagata

Last edited:
War Adviser Act

I do not think this act will bring much use, only complicate things.
The control of the military spending should stay in the realm of the Financial Adviser, as having two advisers dealing with one specific thing like that is unnecessary bureaucracy.
Also, while on the topic of unnecessary bureaucracy, appointing an adviser to appoint a Chief of the Army is also tedious and useless.

I think such position is not needed, and its duties could be easily managed by the Chief of the Army.

~ 大名西村浩、福岡藩の主 Daimyo Nishimura Hiroshi, Lord of the Fukuoka Domain

~ 大名西村浩、福岡藩の主 Daimyo Nishimura Hiroshi, Lord of the Fukuoka Domain
I can remove the subparagraph about the military spendings but I think that the Chief of the Army is just for lead the troop on the battlefield. The things that you call "bureaucracy" are just for divide the functions to not put them all in one person like the Tairo.

I can remove the subparagraph about the military spendings

I feel that such a move would be wise. To give two ministers with separate agenda power over the same budget... would be unwise. How could the Financial Minister balance the books if he needs to cut military spending but the Minister for War refuses? The Minister for War could theoretically hold Lord Uesugi to ransom if he wishes!

-- Hosokawa-dono, Lord of Higo and Roju of Kyushu

It should be up to the Shogun and the Shogun alone to determine strategy and peace offer. The Roju should merely advise His Excellency.

Matsui travels around Kobe giving free gold bars to the peasantry. His popularity among the people of Kobe expands exponentially.

It should be up to the Shogun and the Shogun alone to determine strategy and peace offer. The Roju should merely advise His Excellency.

Matsui travels around Kobe giving free gold bars to the peasantry. His popularity among the people of Kobe expands exponentially.

No wonder inflation is going up and up...

-- Hoskawa-dono, Lord of Higo and Roju of Kyushu

In light of recent events I do not believe it to be wise to withhold this proposal any longer. I, Daimyo Yoshito Fureno, propose the "Reformation of the Government of Japan".
日本政府の改革
Nipponseifu no kaikaku
Reformation of the Government of Japan

I: The [将軍] Shogun will be appointed by the Emperor.

~A: The available candidates will be the Emperor's faithful [大名] Daimyo.

~B: The [将軍] Shogun serves for life, but the Emperor can order his abdication.

~C: A [大名] Daimyo can not be [将軍] Shogun and serve as a [老中] Rōjū at the same time.

II: The [将軍] Shogun will be the military leader of [日本] Nihon.

~A: The [将軍] Shogun reserves the right to call upon 50% of a [大名] Daimyo's military at any time; they will form part of the [帝国陸軍] Teikoku rikugun.

~B: The [将軍] Shogun can dictate peace terms but can not issue a declaration of war.

~C: The [将軍] Shogun appointsthe leaders of the [帝国陸軍] Teikoku rikugun.

~D: The [将軍] Shogun can request the construction of ships and/or recruiting of men in any province. These tasks will be the highest priority of the honored province.

III: Domestic affairs shall be run by the [老中] Rōjū.

~A: Construction of ports, railways, etc, will be determined by each [老中] Rōjū for his own region.

~B: The [老中] Rōjū can declare wars.

~C: Other affairs will be decided by the [大名協議会] Daimyo Council. Each [老中] Rōjū reserves the right to veto one proposal each year.

IV: The Emperor's word is law; except when:

~A: Demanding the execution or "sacking" of a [老中] Rōjū; the [大名協議会] Daimyo Council will decide the fate of a [老中] Rōjū instead.

~B: When a proposal has been vetoed by a [老中] Rōjū.

Reactions:
((I'll reserve comment on that until Naxhi approves that for the IAAR canon.))