• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
小島から
山の頂上まで
蘭学来る

Kojima kara
Yama no chuujou made
Rangaku kuru

From the small island
To the summit of the mountain
Rangaku comes

狂気の顔
オランダ人の仮面
かけられる

Kyouki no kao
Orandajin no kamen
Kakerareru

The face of madness
Can wear the mask
Of a Dutchman

- 松方祐介、埼玉の大名
- Matsukata Yusuke, Daimyo of Satsuma

Kyoto Protocols: Aye
Tenpou 7 Budget: Aye

[Provincial Daimyo]
[Saitama]

((That's basically what Japan has now, except that the Shogun is an unelected dictator, of course. If your view is that we should elect the Shogun, or replace him with a Prime Minister or equivalent, then you can't truly be called a supporter or an advocate of Kyowashugi (Republicanism) - you're a sympathiser at best.))
((I know the Emperor is just a puppet of the Shogun, and he doesn't have any real political power. However, it's supposed Asahi doesn't know it, and thinks the Emperor is the supreme leader of Nippon, with control over everything. Also, Asahi doesn't know the real difference between a republic and a democracy. He only wants a Nippon were everyone is able to elect his leader, peasents, middle class and rich class alike, and to open our borders, modernize and... then conquer the world. Yes, that's it. Asahi just want a democracy because that way the traditional daimyo who don't want to field armies or attack countries will be out, and once it happens he will become a general and then conquer the neighborhood nations. Asahi is in reality a huge hypocrite. Have the daimyo agreed to conquer and attack he would have been against Seita.

For those who weren't here, there's a quick resume: Daimyos want to approve laws to continue with Japan isoation and traditionalism. However, a samurai, Seita opposed them. He's going to be executed. Asahi, another samurai agreed with him, tought he doesn't really like Seita. Asahi is going to be executed too. Now there's some discussion IC between samurai, daimyo and the ronnin -Seita, for now-

Finally, and this line addressed to Naxhi-sama, does that mean I'm a exilied shogun too?))

Kyoto Protocols: Abstain
Treasury Plan: Yea

[Provincial Daimyo]
[Chubu]

NEW VOTE:

Treasury Plan: Yea

[Regional Daimyo]
[Chubu]

Treasury Plan: Yes

[Regional Daimyo]
[Kanto]

[Regional Daimyo]
[Shikoku]

Kyoto Protocols: No

[Regional Daimyo]
[Chogoku]

((Just got in))

Voting closed

Final Tally:

Kyoto Protocol: With Samurai Bonuses (4 Yes/12.5 No/11 Abstain)

Failed

Budget: With Samurai Bonuses (18.5 Yes/9 No/0 Abstain)

Passed

Though Seita never said he was against Kyoto Protocols, it seems his actions have influyed on the votation somehow. Various daimyo seem to be insecure, and it looks like they want to remain powerful. It's likely they want it to have control over their servants, and evade events like Seita's cards from happening again. Wheter that's true or not, I don't know. But its bad for my porpouses, because that way Japan army will never be as powerful as it need to be.

Voting closed

Final Tally:

Kyoto Protocol: With Samurai Bonuses (4 Yes/12.5 No/11 Abstain)

Failed

Budget: With Samurai Bonuses (18.5 Yes/9 No/0 Abstain)

Passed

((Also, Naxhi-sama, Am I exiled too?))

Satake (1836-1838): A Dull Start

The Daimyo Council and the Roju met in 1836 to discuss events relating to them around Japan. They came to discuss the isolationist policy, Nanban trade, and Shogun-Imperial relations. Seven Daimyo were selected to be on the Roju, and the Roju then selected Daimyo Satake of Sendai to lead them as Head Elder. Thus, Daimyo Satake would advise the Shogun for a time, and the Shogun would heed the Head Elder's words. To start things off, the Daimyo Council had to discuss two Samurai in Japan, Asahi Daika and Tarou Seita, two Samurai who had the tenacity to discuss not only opening up Japan and ending the isolation, but denouncing the Shogun and the Emperor himself. The Shogun immediately called for their arrest. Seita would flee Japan, escaping on a boat he and his family built to journey across the ocean into Korea, in which they then traveled into China. Daika would not be so lucky. He would be captured by Shogunate secret police and dragged to court in Edo, in which he has to plea his case in front of a court. It is unknown if the Shogun will execute him.

The Shogun though, had other problems. His lifestyle, and that of events that have happened before his regime, caught the eye of the Daimyo Council and the Roju. Soon, the Council started to call for the removal of Shogun Tokugawa Ienari. First the spirits, then the people, now his fellow lords, all abandoning him. Ienari though tried as hard as possible to retain his Shogunate, but to no avail. He would step down in 1837, and his second son Tokugawa Ieyoshi would step in to assume the Shogunate. Ienari would not be gone however, and Ienari would guide his son in his decisions, meaning that Ienari still held a lot of influence in the Shogunate.

UMvrsFw.jpg

(Tokugawa Ieyoshi, the 12th Tokugawa Shogun)
During both the last year of Ienari, and the first year of Ieyoshi, not much happened. The Daimyo began consolidating their power. Daimyo Tanabe built up the most. Five units of ashigaru and three cavalry units were ordered. The ashigaru was raised, but only two-of-three cavalry were raised. Daimyo Motoro got all three ordered units of ashigaru raised. Daimyo Hosokawa only got one cavalry out of two, and did not get that ashigaru unit he ordered. Hosokawa though had a rough time on sea. He and Daimyo Yamauchi had planned to strengthen the Shogunate fleet by building transport ships and frigates. Each had seven ships, five transports and two frigates. However, problems set in almost immedietly. The fleets that were ordered suffered lack of supply, being unable to replenish the ships in port. The ships soon degraded to attrition, and right now are almost inoperable. The "Shogunate Fleet" turned into a waste of money and a failure.

lgDOBbh.jpg

(A Boat of the fleet)
Other then the fleet, the rest of the year seemed uneventful. The only major thing that came out of Japan was the discovery of gold in the province of Kobe. Gold miners soon rushed to Kobe for a chance to get rich, and this was much needed. The budget for the year drastically drained the income of many people. 100% of income went straight to the Shogunate. While there was a surplus of cash, the people suffered from poverty. Eventually, Daimyo couldnt get taxes out of their population, and suffered as well. The only man to do well in this time was Daimyo Matsui, the Daimyo of Kobe. The gold proved to boost the income of Japan greatly, and Daimyo Matsui would be well received by his peers. Daimyo Motoro would also receive some credit with his diplomatic deals. He would boost relations with Korea and China, two countries that have been good trade partners with Japan before and during the isolation. Though, relations still have to be built, things diplomatically look good.

F0pexP4.jpg

(Kobe Gold)
The term came to a close, with the ideals of modernization coming into question. People began to speak out against the isolation, and to whether or not westernization was the way forward. Some believed that following Nanban belief would lead to Nanban domination. All had to be discussed over the next few years.

------------------------

Player Actions: I will give you all two days to propose things and whatnot. Art and Red are Ronin now, Art being exiled and Red in prison. Red can IC his defense, and the Shogun will decide whether or not he lives or dies.

This is what happens when we try to engage the Nanban with trade and ships- the ships deteriorate and the emperor loses money! The whole project has proved to be a fiasco and disgrace to Nippon.

Those who follow the traditions of Nippon are rewarded. The gold found in Kobe was no accident; it was a reward for our city's devotion to Nippon's traditions and the Emperor.

-Daimyo Matsui Hideki of Kobe

((Am I in prision? Damm. I was going to say I fleed to Ecuador and became a farmer of bananas... Sigh... I think I will try to survive, but chances are I will be executed))

So, this is how things ended for me... I will gladly die for my ideals. You are still thinking Nanban are bad. However ships and trade failed because we didn't have the resources. What didn't we have them? Because our land isn't enough, and we should have traded for resources. China and Korea are good choices. I hate those Brits, the Americans, those French... They're barbarians, and I think we shouldn't try to be diplomatic with them. However, as I said before, I think we should learn of their example.

Will the Shogun have mercy for me? I think he won't. I blasfemed against our Emperor, though I was only saying he's no god in political deals, but in spiritual ones. I said we should become a democracy, a republic or whatever. I just want a better Japan. A better, stronger, militaristic and democratic Japan, and I still want that. I won't retract. That would be against my ideals. But I want to live. My dream is still not fullfilled. I can't do anything. Also, and finally, don't you think that exiling me, letting me to see how Japan continues traditionalist and isolating itself, would be a worse punishment? Though I'm an atheist, I'm prating right now. I don't really want to live because life is good, I want to live to fullfil my dreams. I don't care about myself, nor about someone else. I don't have family, and my only living family is death for me. So, I'm begging for clemency. If the Shogun decided to fullfil my wish, I won't interfere again. I still want a better Japan, but that can wait.

Reactions:
((I didn't actually order the construction of any ships; I simply entered into fruitless negotiations with other daimyo as to whether or not we should build ships.))

My friends, I know that maybe isn't the time to think about those things but prevention is better than cure. The three acts that I'm going to show you aren't for our interest but for the future of our country and our sons.

Nippon Army Act
1-- The Nippon Army is formed by the troops from every region of the Japan and his empire.
2-- The Nippon Army is lead by the Chief during both times of peace and war.
3-- The purpouses of the Nippon Army are both defensive and offensive but never to damage the people of Japan and his Emperor.
4-- In times of war, The Nippon Army will be lead by the Chief, the Shogun, the Tairo and the War Adviser.
5-- The Nippon Army can be split for strategic actions but the supreme commandere will remain the Chief.

Regional Armies Act
1-- Every region of the Imperial Nippon must have at least an army of 9'000 soldiers.
2-- The Regional Daimyo have to choose which province will recruit the troops.
3-- The purpouses of the Regional Armies are both defensive and offensive but never to damage the people of Japan and his Emperor.
4-- The leadership of each Regional Army is entrusted to the Regional Daimyo that allowed its recruitment.
5-- In time of war, all the Regional Armies will be part of the Nippon Army and the leadership will be given to the Chief, The Shogun, The Tairo and the War Adviser.

Last edited:
((The position of Minister for War (or whatever you wish to call it) already exists; the current Tairo simply didn't see the need in appointing one.))

I
((The position of Minister for War (or whatever you wish to call it) already exists; the current Tairo simply didn't see the need in appointing one.))

((Actually, MoW does not exist, according to Naxhi, since regional daimyo effectively execute the duties of that office within their region.))

((Final draft of the Save the Emperor Agreement))

天皇契約を保存します

Ten'nōkeiyaku o hozonshimasu

Save the Emperor Agreement

I: The traitors Asahi Daika and Seita will be publicly executed.

~A: Any person/s, regardless of rank, found to be assisting them in any way will be executed.

~ B: Any person/s of the lower class that refuses to assist in this endavour will be executed.

II: Any person/s, regardless of rank, who is thought to be sympathetic to Seita's ideals will be arrested.

~A: If said person/s fails to prove their innocence they will be executed.

~B: If said person/s proves their innocence they will be freed and compensated.

~C: Trails will be held in Kyoto with the Emperor, or his representative, as judge.

III: The following will be classed in a political ideology know as: 共和主義 Kyōwashugi. All acts, symbols, etc. associated with said ideology will be banned.

~A: Ousting the Emperor, or claiming that he is in fact not our divine ruler

~B: Placing women in any sort of power other then over other women.

~C: Allowing Nanban to dismiss Japanese Law and do as they wish in Japan.

((Actually, MoW does not exist, according to Naxhi, since regional daimyo effectively execute the duties of that office within their region.))

((It's mentioned in the OP though, or is that only for Westernised Japan?))