• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I feel that Japan needs to adapt technologies from the British, as they seem the most powerful and wisest. As a samurai, I may not have much of a vote in the whole grand scheme of things, but Japan needs to modernize quickly or else it'll be like the barbaric Chinese.

- Tarou Seita, Samurai in Kanto

Roju Representative: Hosokawa (Kyushu)

Yamamoto Hirakuni

((Abot 24 hours left in the vote, and by the looks of it, Firehound, Qwerty7, and LordTempest are winning in their respective regions. The rest are tied.))

((I don't think Japan has traded with the British at all, ever. Sakoku was implemented decades before 1707. Sorry to nitpick, because that's otherwise a very good point.))

((I was referring to the Phaeton Affair specifically rather than any instance of trade)

Do not mistake my openness to the Dutch as incaution, honourable lords. We must be cautious with the Nanban and wary of their plots. Not even the most liberal of Daimyo propose letting the Nanban run freely around Japan!

I merely say that must not alienate and turn away those who are useful to us. We have no way to defeat the British should they come - until we have strengthened ourselves with the aid of other Nanban, they are necessary. What the Nanban do to the other Barbarians in Indonesia is of no concern.

((Abot 24 hours left in the vote, and by the looks of it, Firehound, Qwerty7, and LordTempest are winning in their respective regions. The rest are tied.))

((Naxhi, I am winning too))

((I was referring to the Phaeton Affair specifically rather than any instance of trade))

((Which of course, would not have been much of a problem at all were it not for Sakoku! :p))

Obama-dono raises a very important point, my fellow Lords. The Nanban are not the same as the Japanese - they are not some kind of homogenous blob, unified by a single malicious agenda as some of my fellow Lords seem to relish in portraying them as. They are a hotchpotch of rival peoples, with their own political and economic interests to pursue. Sometimes these rivalries conflict, as they did in Nagasaki some years ago, as I'm sure the Honourable Obama-dono and Yamamoto-dono will both be quick to remind us. It is difficult to play one Nanban off against another if we continue to offer special "privileges without obligations" to one specific group, as we currently offer the Dutch. Repealing Sakoku and other-such archaic restrictions on trade will be an important first step towards both the modernisation and self-strengthening of our country.

I feel that Japan needs to adapt technologies from the British, as they seem the most powerful and wisest. As a samurai, I may not have much of a vote in the whole grand scheme of things, but Japan needs to modernize quickly or else it'll be like the barbaric Chinese.

I agree with Tarou-kun that it would be prudent to learn from the best, and that indeed if the British are the most powerful Nanban group then it is to they that we should first turn. Nevertheless, I maintain that there must be no Nanban monopoly in Japan like the one the Dutch currently enjoy if our nation is to prosper, unless the British or some other Nanban group are prepared to offer us something worthwhile in exchange.

-- Hosokawa-dono, Lord of Higo.

It would be in the best interests of the people of the Kanto region if the lords Hayashi and Motoro came to an agreement in regards to which one of their persons would be the member of the Rōju for Kanto as it is important to avoid a quarrel in which the Shogun himself would be forced to intervene in. It is therefore that I proclaim I will support the Elder who is chosen only if the Shogun's Intervention in the regional faction is avoided however I will withdraw my support for either Lord Hayashi or Lord Motoro if they fail to win the support of the other Clan.
l 近藤高森 l Kondō Takamori

((TJDS, for consistency's sake, could you add (細川 光秀) beside my name on the SSF faction list? Thanks. :)))

Kondo-kun, I appreciate the fact that your loyalty to your Shogun transcends your loyalty to your faction. Japan needs more worthy and honourable samurai of your calibre.

Reactions:
Surely one can not be prone to see both sides of an even argument, so why are we not allowed to compromise in the name of Japan? Someday a mighty wind may come and Japan will have a choice to survive and carry on some of its culture, or to refuse to yield and die with its traditions- but are we forced to choose only a single option? No, such thoughts are only those that come from years of complacency within the walls of Edo. We have learned to think within those high walls, so occasionally looking out into the broader Japanese world, but let us look out at the lands of Nagasaki, at Satsuma- what do we see? We can see those positive and negative influences of the West. Great technology at the cost of public morality and Bushido. Then we turn to see Kansai, the bastion of Japanese culture, so untouched by the hands of the West. What do we find? We see our upheld traditions, but without the wealth and technology of the Eastern Cities.

Who is to say that we can not retain such a distinction? To make such a distinction more plain is not outside of the realm of our fathers, sons, or any daimyo. Clearly we can attempt to shift away thought from the core of Edo to the lands that comprise the rest of Japan. If Satsuma will give itself up to red-cheeks in exchange for technology, they have paid their price, let them come. If the lords of Kansai refuse to give themselves unto the red-cheeks so as to retain their dignity and honor, they have paid their price, let them stay away.

SATAKE YOSHIHIRO
10th Lord of Kubota

Last edited:
In light of my age, I will retract my vote for myself if, and only Motoro-sama will pledge his support for my son, Hayashi Tadaakira, for the position of Roju once he his the Daimyo of the Jozai domain.

In light of my age, I will retract my vote for myself if, and only Motoro-sama will pledge his support for my son, Hayashi Tadaakira, for the position of Roju once he his the Daimyo of the Jozai domain.

((Towll/Lord Hayashi))

With all due respect sir, I do not think it would be wise to force the Shogun's hand on this matter. Should the Shogun wish to retain the services of the Lord of Yokohama, then your proposed covenant would go against the will of the Shogun. Incur the Shogun's displeasure, and you may well find that your son is not Daimyo of Jozai for long.

Just a friendly warning.

-- Hoisokawa-dono.

Narinori gave a final brush stroke, as graceful as he could. His chamberlain, acting as a defacto teacher, gave a short polite clap. The poem was a short one, but the final one he needed to do. However he doubted this would be his final one, as he did indeed so enjoy poetry.

Gazing at the calm orchard, he has wrote of the blossoms. Such a pretty thing indeed.

While I gaze on
At the orchards I see
I am calm inside
At peace at all within me

The wind rustles by
Gently caressing my face
For this is my home
And this is where I belong
And this is where I will die

Uesugi Narinori ~ 1836

cultre
Surely one can not be prone to see both sides of an even argument, so why are we not allowed to compromise in the name of Japan? Someday a mighty wind may come and Japan will have a choice to survive and carry on some of its culture, or to refuse to yield and die with its traditions- but are we forced to choose only a single option? No, such thoughts are only those that come from years of complacency within the walls of Edo. We have learned to think within those high walls, so occasionally looking out into the broader Japanese world, but let us look out at the lands of Nagasaki, at Satsuma- what do we see? We can see those positive and negative influences of the West. Great technology at the cost of public morality and Bushido. Then we turn to see Kansai, the bastion of Japanese culture, so untouched by the hands of the West. What do we find? We see our upheld traditions, but without the wealth and technology of the Eastern Cities.

Who is to say that we can not retain such a distinction? To make such a distinction more plain is not outside of the realm of our fathers, sons, or any daimyo. Clearly we can attempt to shift away thought from the core of Edo to the lands that comprise the rest of Japan. If Satsuma will give itself up to red-cheeks in exchange for technology, they have paid their price, let them come. If the lords of Kansai refuse to give themselves unto the red-cheeks so as to retain their dignity and honor, they have paid their price, let them stay away.

SATAKE YOSHIHIRO
10th Lord of Kubota

That is all fine and good, but I fear that if we do not adopt, at least in part, the tools of the nanban, we will not be able to stop them from forcing the destruction of our culture and way of life, as they have in India, Indonesia and the Philippines.

-Kishiwada Aito

but let us look out at the lands of Nagasaki, at Satsuma- what do we see? We can see those positive and negative influences of the West. Great technology at the cost of public morality and Bushido.

Bite your tongue! The Shimazu may be many things, but dishonourable and devoid of morality they most certainly are not!

I understand however, that knowledge of such things may be difficult to come by for a man who has never before left his home province.

Last edited:
Bite your tongue! The Shimazu may be many things, but dishonourable and devoid of morality they most certainly are not!

I understand however, that knowledge of such things may be difficult to come by for a man who has never before left his home province.

As you would know quite well, Hosokawa-shi, as a daimyo of esteem, I have quite often left my home province for Edo, as we all must rotate life at home with life at the court of the Shogun. Ah, what a miraculous life I could lead if I were to sit still in Kubota for years on end- such naivety would not go unpunished by the forces of evil. Although, perhaps the naivety that you hold might be beyond such a parallel. Hosokawa-shi, if you were to understand my words, I impart no grievous insult upon the Shimazu Clan, but unto the people who inhabit their lands. Perhaps, if you yourself would withdraw from Kyushu and perhaps visit one of the many shrines of Shikoku, being were to be able to lead your skill of the mind into equality with your own skill at the pen, you would find yourself in a much more favorable position of understanding the words of your fellow daimyo.

SATAKE YOSHIHIRO
10th Lord of Kubota

Last edited:
Although, perhaps the naivety that you hold might be beyond such a parallel. Hosokawa-shi, if you were to understand my words, I impart no grievous insult upon the Shimazu Clan, but unto the people who inhabit their lands. Perhaps, if you yourself would withdraw from Kyushu and perhaps visit one of the many shrines of Shikoku, being were to be able to lead your skill of the mind into equality with your own skill at the pen, you would find yourself in a much more favorable position of understanding the words of your fellow daimyo.

It seems the Honourable Lord has been too long in the capital. Why, I'm sure that if one were to spend enough time in Edo with all its pleasures, one would be forgiven for thinking every man a samurai and every temple a shrine. Here in Kyushu, our lords do not have the luxury of holding all men to such rigourous standards, or of forgetting the needs and well-being of the peasantry. We are after all a conventional people, who abide by the principles of paternal benevolence to one's subjects as laid out in the Confucian Classics. Such dusty old tomes are surely no longer fashionable in the North, no?

OvZb4Gp.png

Official Decree from the Shogun of Japan

The following individuals shall serve on the Roju:

From Kansai: Daimyo Tanabe Shinzou ((TJDS))

From Kanto: Daimyo Motoro Kusanagi ((Terraferma))

From Chugoku: Daimyo Mori Takachika ((Qwerty7))

From Shikoku: Daimyo Yamauchi Toyosuke ((oxfordroyale))

From Kyushu: Daimyo Hosokawa Mitsuhide ((LordTempest))

From Tohuku: Daimyo Satake Yoshihiro ((Firehound15))

From Chubu: Daimyo Uesugi Narinori ((Dadarian))

-Shogun Tokugawa Ienari

---------------------------------------------------
Player Actions Needed: The seven names mentioned above need to now declare whether or not they wish to serve as Head Elder. Once the declaration period is over, the Roju must select out of the candidates who they want to serve as Head Elder. Samurai must also either pledge fealty to their Regional Daimyo or not. Swearing fealty will probably get you a command, but it gives the Regional Daimyo more power.

Anyway, we have our first event to give to the Daimyo Council as they wait:

Shogunate in Question

Earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, civil unrest, Kyoto going up into flames, and a massive famine. These are the events of the Ienari bakufu. It is clear that the spirits of the land do not favor Tokugawa Ienari. On top of it all, Ienari is a degenerate, with a personal haram of over 900 women, and he is the father of 75 bastard children. It is unclear whether or not Ienari is fit to rule anymore. He has ruled for a long time, and it is clear that the Gods and spirits of Japan do not favor him. Perhaps his son, Tokugawa Ieyoshi would be a better replacement? The power of the Daimyo will be enough to force Ienari from his position, and put Ieyoshi in as Shogun, should the Daimyo council coerce Ienari into retirement?

Option A: NO! We must hope for a change in Ienari's bakufu. He has reigned longer then any other Shogun before us, why should we remove him from a spot he has had for almost 49 years?

Option B: YES! Ienari has been shown to be disfavored by the Gods and spirits of Japan, by the people, and his own personal actions have casted doubt on his ability to rule. We should replace him with his son Tokugawa Ieyoshi.

I also have an OOC vote for everyone. This vote will work on a player count basis and not on voting power. I have been thinking of ways to make being Samurai more enjoyable in times of peace, and to solve the issues of Samurai refusing to swear fealty. Thus, I have decided that the Samurai can develop into five different types, each one having its own abilities and decisions.

Samurai can develop into five different types. The first four types can still lead armies:
  1. Warrior: The standard Samurai who leads armies into battle and fights. They get a 20% chance of a grade increase for every victory the army they are leading has. Warriors are able to also assign themselves to fight in an army they do not lead, and get a 10% chance of a grade increase for every victory that army has.
  2. Ninja: The stealthy version of the Samurai. Ninja are the assassins and spies of the Daimyo who employs them. They can leak private information and try to make it public (Chance of success = MIL * 10). They can try to assassinate other player characters (Chance of success = MIL * 5) and damage the armies of other Daimyo (Chance of success = MIL * 7). Capture would most certainly mean death. They cannot increase grade leading armies, but instead grade up for each successful action (AKA: Doing something and not getting arrested).
  3. Monk: The religious version of the Samurai. Monks are the Buddhist Monks and Shinto Priests that live in Japan. The Monks can travel to provinces to try and sway the general population to the cause of the monk’s master, leading to social instability and a chance of rebellion in the provinces (Chance of success = MIL * 6 (Rebel army size = MIL * 3)). Being caught would most likely lead to imprisonment or execution based on the Daimyo’s decision. Monks can also be tasked with bringing peace to the region, and can decrease MIL in the region (Chance of success = MIL*6 (MIL drop = MIL/5)). Monks cannot grade up leading armies, but grade up for each successful rebellion they caused/for disent eliminated.
  4. Karō: The political version of the Samurai. Karō serve as advisors and diplomats to the Daimyo that they serve. The Karō can sit on the Daimyo Council and provide 0.5 voting power in a vote. Karō cannot increase grade by leading armies, but have a 30% chance of increasing grade should their Daimyo be selected as Head Elder, and a 20% chance if their Daimyo is on the Advisory Council.
  5. Ronin: These are the Samurai who do not have a master or refuse to swear fealty to their current Daimyo. Samurai who do not swear fealty are automatically ronin. Ronin cannot lead armies or develop into the other four types. They can however, move to another region of Japan in hopes of finding a Daimyo they can agree with.

Sample Ballot:

Shogunate in Question: Option A/Option B/Abstain

[Daimyo Rank (Regional Daimyo/Province Daimyo)]
[Region]

((Extended Samurai Play: Yes/No/Abstain))

Declaration Period for Head Elder ends tomorrow at 9:00 PM EST or Thursday 1:00 AM GMT. The vote on the decision and the extended Samurai play votes ends Thursday at 9:00 PM EST or Friday 1:00 AM GMT.

Last edited: