• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It is in my humble opinion that faction and sedition are dangerous for our nation. They lead men asunder, they replace the loyalty to family, to the Emperor, and to the Shogun with faction and division. My decision to join a faction therefore comes from a sense of obligation to protect the traditions and customs which I hold to be most valuable in this world; I have a vested interest in protecting Japan, and I believe that to do so I must regrettably submit to the system of faction to voice my opinion in a meaningful space.

I wish to join the Unity and Honour Faction

((Do you have a character yet?))

((KMT, they were pro modernization and against Westerners, this does not mean, however, that I am against westerners at the moment, but if they, due to the lack of modernization brought down upon us by the Thunder Alliance and friends, do take advantage of our weakness, I can assure you, the SSF will be less friendly to westerners))

((They were most definitely not! Sun Yat-Sen loved foreigners, particularly Americans and Britons, and Chiang was fine with pretty much anyone who wasn't British or French. They were opposed to Imperialists, which are something quite different. I get what you're saying here, but as long as the SSF remains unclear or downright contradictory about it's true motivations, I don't feel that my character can join the faction. Either you say that yes, we will support free trade and rangaku so long as the foreigners behave (as the KMT did) or you say no, we will support protectionism and traditionalism über alles as the Dadas and the TA does.))

Last edited:
((It's obvious though that you cannot favour expelling the barbarians and yet also favour opening up Japan to barbarians; that's contradictory. The SSF needs to be explicitly anti-Sonno Joi if it wishes to remain ideologically consistent: you cannot both support letting barbarians trade outside of Dejima and repealling Sakoku and also support maintaining Sakoku and expelling the barbarian traders at the same time. That of course does not mean it should let foreigners do whatever the hell they please, you don't need to be a supporter of Sonno Joi to think that foreigners should abide by the laws of Japan when doing business in Japan.))

((How did you change your name Tanzang?))

((How did you change your name Tanzang?))

((The new forum doesn't allow Chinese characters in usernames. The mods had to change it; I couldn't merge my account otherwise.))

((Alright, lets get back to it. Try to avoid large OOC moments please. If you want to discuss things in more detail, please consider coming on IRC or starting a private conversation, just please dont do large OOC conversations here. Thank you.))

Last edited:
My apologies for accidentally causing such fatal factionalism within the faction to emerge. What I meant by expelling the barbarians was to learn from them first (as if we had a choice, look at the Celestial Empire's sorry excuse of a nation--we cannot end up like those reactionary fools!), adapt their technology and practices to our own use, and then drive them out of Asia with our newfound status! Asia is for Asians! As the Celestial Empire has failed to do that, we must fill in its role for the good of the people of Asia, whether they want to hand it over or not.
(I'm all in favor of westernization.)
But if we decide to welcome the gaijin barbarians, I'm fine with that too.
((Sakamoto Ryoma in real life was one of the founding fathers of modern Japan, so I hope I reflected on that at some point. He's on Wikipedia if that helps.))

My apologies for accidentally causing such fatal factionalism within the faction to emerge. What I meant by expelling the barbarians was to learn from them first (as if we had a choice, look at the Celestial Empire's sorry excuse of a nation--we cannot end up like those reactionary fools!), adapt their technology and practices to our own use, and then drive them out of Asia with our newfound status! Asia is for Asians! As the Celestial Empire has failed to do that, we must fill in its role for the good of the people of Asia, whether they want to hand it over or not.
(I'm all in favor of westernization.)
((Sakamoto Ryoma, my character's son, was one of the founding fathers of modern Japan, so I hope I reflected on that at some point. He's on Wikipedia if that helps.))

((Don't take it too badly. You've been very helpful in helping my character decide which factions to support/oppose! Hosokawa-dono thanks you. ;) ))

I hope we do not meet in battle against each other someday. Agreed, SSF must come to an agreement at some point, or I'll just retire back to my emporium.
((That's great!))

Dono - Fellow Lords - It is clear to me that until such time as the members of the Jiko Kyoka-Habatsu clarify their position on the economic and intellectual future of our country, it is neither a faction deserving of my support or yours! To Sakamoto-kun, and other such supporters of the faction, I address the following question: If Japan were to be invaded by one group of Nanban, would you, personally, support the expulsion of ALL Barbarians from Japan or not? The cessation of ALL trade with the various Nanban peoples or not? Or would you instead remember the wisdom of your ancestors, who traded with the Nanban while the Taiko fought in Korea, and who traded with the Javanese when the Khan was at our metaphorical gate?

-- Hosokawa-Dono, Lord of Higo.

Sir, if I could make myself clear I advocate for the expulsion of the gaijin from Nihon only after we have learned everything we needed from them. This expulsion need not be complete or permanent; some can be welcomed back later, on our own terms. As for your question on what would we do should the gaijin invade the home isles, I assure you, we will fight them tooth and claw. Japan has never been conquered, and it never will!

Last edited:
Hosokawa-kun,

DOES YOUR INSOLENCE KNOW NO BOUNDS, SIR?! I do not know what my fellow Lords must be thinking, associating with a mere rice-paddy samurai who thinks himself to be THEIR superior. Clearly their muddled stances have also muddled their brains as well - I have no stomach to tolerate such arrogance!

*storms off in a huff*

asano-naganori.gif

Name: Reizei Yukihiko
Born: 11 October 1810
Class: Daimyo
Clan: Reizei
Province of Control: Nagoya
Background:
Yukihiko is a descendent of the Reizei clan, which was granted the Domain of Aichi (formed from the mergings of the domains of Owari and Mikawa) as a reward for their centuries long service to the imperial family in the preservation of important documents, as well as their valiant bravery in battle. He became daimyo of Nagoya in 1830, at the age of 20, after his father was poisoned. Having come to power, he quickly matured as he dealt with the onset of the Tenpo Famine. While distrustful of the outside world, he grows increasingly cynical with the way things are being run..

Last edited:
1189554.jpg
Name: Ōshiro Kazuki (大城一樹)
Born: November 11th, 1809
Class: Daimyo
Clan: Ōshiro
Province of Control: Okayama
History: Eldest son of the previous head of the Ōshiro clan, Kazuki has shown himself to be open minded toward the ideas of the West. He sees the possibility of greatness and prosperity if Japan embraces modernity under the leadership of the Emperor. Having just taken the reins of control following the death of his father, Kazuki is prepared to help guide Japan toward a bright future.

Last edited:
In private, Shimazu Narioki sits with his son, Shimazu Nariakira, by now a man. Though some could call it a discussion, it was more or less Narikoki talking at his son, and his son merely nodding along.

"These recent 'factions' are most worrying. They organize themselves as if they were organs of the government, or legitimate in the slightest, with lists of members, with charters, with written policies. A disgrace."

Nariakira nodded in dutiful agreement.

"No doubt they will lead us to parade ourselves as western fools, adopting their political ways and throwing away that which is sacred to Japan. Fools."

Narioki sipped from his cup while Nariakira prepared himself for another tirade. Such was life in Satsuma for the time being, annoyance.

You know what, I'm out of here. Go squabble over your politics yourself.

(I'm still part of the SSF)

Last edited:
I will join the Self Strengthening Faction, the only faction that stands for a truly powerful and modern Japan.

~ Daimyo Ōshiro Kazuki of the Okayama Domain

Last edited:
Daimyo Mōri Takachika, of the Chōshū Domain invites several acquaintances ((members of Unity & Honour)) to a luncheon in his Domain. They will discuss serious topics such as current affairs as well as lighter topics such as entertainment and food. Takachika will be organizing a tour for several hotspots in the Domain. He hopes that many can attend...

((There were some complaints that the factions are too organized so I hope this will make them more informal.))

((There were some complaints that the factions are too organized so I hope this will make them more informal.))

((I was thinking of it as quite literally a court faction of like-minded individuals. Hence why it's name is an ideal more than anything else.))

((If anything the factions (at least SSF) are kind of disorganized. It's great to make them informal. Also, I'm not familiar with honorifics.))