• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think I understand now the reason why KP exists, you (and I for that matter) know that the only relevent parties are us and the reactionaries, and that any middle ground simply can not be reached. But KP appears to see a compermise possible, at least that is what I think. But that isn't relevent to my point, if we demand be absored by us why would they accept? especially with the reactionaries offering them a position of equals.

The real problem NLP faces is that untill KP I guaranteed not to join the reactionaries, we risk loseing the election that is why I advise negotionation.

- Kishiwada Yukio, Viscount of Osaka

I don't think you understand the situation at all. If the KP continues to exist, then they help the reactionaries. If they join the NLP, then they hurt the reactionaries and help the tendency they claim to support. Whether they join the reactionaries or continue to exist is irrelevant; either way they increase the chances of a reactionary government. If they choose to join the reactionaries, then they betray the tendency they claim to support. They won't be treated as equals any more than the Fujin League were treated as equals by the Thunder Alliance - Both Lords Nishimura and Ito surely understand this. Joining the reactionaries would involve them being absorbed into Satake's new faction, just as joining us would involve them amalgamating into the NLP.

There are thus only three options available for the KP: either they join a party which is sympathetic to their views, and where they will be treated as equals; join a party is unsympathetic to their views and where they won't be treated as equals; or keep the status quo, and help the latter party at the expense of the former.

-- Hosokawa-dono, Foreign Secretary

I know, but we have to do something. We can't stay here waiting for another invasion

Yes, let us keep invading foreign countries until there are none left, just in case one of those countries is secretly planning a pre-emptive strike against us. That will ensure peace and prosperity.

Once the Korean business is settled, then we may consider colonial expansion. It would weaken our bargaining position to engage in war with a third party while negotiations with the Koreans and Americans persist.

-- Hosokawa-dono, Foreign Secretary

This election is very different from the previous one. The NLP and the opposition are equally strong. And, although small, The Kamikaze Party seems to be the deciding factor.

The KP believes that a middle-way, a compromise has to be found, but in certain cases there needs to be a definite decision. I must express my disagreement with honourable Count Hosokawa that wishes to see the political spectrum as something black and white. We would not disband our party for the sake of petty political maneuvering.

However, the KP wishes to express its desire to form an electoral alliance with the NLP in the following elections.

~Nishimura Hiroshi

This election is very different from the previous one. The NLP and the opposition are equally strong. And, although small, The Kamikaze Party seems to be the deciding factor.

The KP believes that a middle-way, a compromise has to be found, but in certain cases there needs to be a definite decision. I must express my disagreement with honourable Count Hosokawa that wishes to see the political spectrum as something black and white. We would not disband our party for the sake of petty political maneuvering.

However, the KP wishes to express its desire to form an electoral alliance with the NLP in the following elections.

~Nishimura Hiroshi

Lord Nishimura,

As there are currently zero differences in outlook and policy between our respective parties - Indeed, there has never been any divergence - please explain why you think the KP should continue to exist as a separate party. This is not the first time I've asked you this question.

-- Hosokawa-dono

~Nishimura Hiroshi
As a matter of fact did you and I not form an outline for an electoral alliance, unfortunately I have yet to able to present it to Prime Minister Oshiro. And please ignore Hosokawa.

And please ignore Hosokawa.

I think this answers my question. There is no reason for the KP to exist as a separate party.

-- Hosokawa-dono.

It is true that in some regards the KP is very similar to the NLP. We share similar views on the economy and trade, believing we should trade freely with the Nanban and lower restrictions on merchants. However, it is the political where we differ. The NLP, as a liberal party, favours reform. The KP, as a conservative party, does not. We do not want political reforms, plain and simple. We do not desire to extend the franchise to the peasants and lower class or model the government even more on those of the Nanban. We do not want the Nanban to settle in fair Nippon and become part of our nation, although merchants are welcome to reside here while conducting business. We will borrow Nanban technology and use it for our own purposes, but we do not need their culture. Our own culture must be preserved, not that I believe that the NLP don't want that as well. We simply take a stronger position on maintaining all that is Japanese and in maintaining the old ways that do work. As I have stated before, we have liberal economic views and conservative political ones. The NLP are liberal for both, and thus there is the difference that some cannot seem to see.

- Count Ito Katashi of Miyazaki

Indeed, we cannot sit and wait much longer. We cannot tolerate foreign insult and interference in our domestic affairs - much less involvement in an open rebellion. This is exactly why we must focus our diplomatic efforts on the United States; our military efforts on Korea. To distract ourselves with anything else at this time would be a grave error.

- General Takeda Taro

Once we become a great power in the eyes of the West, we won't have to bow and scrape to the Americans. Then we will be able to assert our national sovereignty without poisoning our relationship with the United States. This is why we should focus on continued industrial growth and military expansion rather than seeking to negotiate our way out of treaty commitments and into a punitive expedition to Joseon.

An invasion of Joseon would prove disastrous as it would embroil us in a war with China.

-Tanaka

America. We could probably defeat the Sick Man of Asia.

-- Hosokawa-dono.

I will expand my Sake factory in Osaka

((Private: mrlifeless))

Kishiwada-san, it has come to my attention that you have invested in an increasingly profitable enterprise, one which relies on my own produce to survive. In the interest of furthering ourselves and the industrialization of Nippon I would like to propose that we begin a joint venture. We would combine our two industries under a single corporation and expand further into Nippon. I have began making plans for the construction of a Liquor Factory and the expansion of my Kyushu Glass Factory, together we could make this happen. I await your acceptance of my offer and look forward to the Golden Age it would bring.

~ Hajamoto Yoshihiro; owner of the Kyushu Glass Factory and a fellow entrepreneur.

((Public))

I will begin construction of a Liquor Factory in Chubu. I hope that this will bring employment to the millions who inhabit the region.

~ Hajamoto Yoshihiro

((Private - To the Cabinet))

My Lords

Having heard the discussions about "punishing" the Koreans, I believe the conclusion is correct but the true path to reaching that destination has been overlooked.

The Koreans in themselves pose no risk to Nippon. Our armies are far larger and from my personal observation of the Korean mercenaries who fought with the late traitor Matsui, our soldiers are superior in both fighting spirit and arms.

However, the execrable Matsui and his Korean masters have shown to the world the weakness in our defences. They have shown that Korea is the natural stepping stone to our Islands, the sword pointed at our chest. A Gaijin army, bigger and better armed than the rag tag ronin of Matsui, would have given us a tougher fight, as when the British came to our lands. The only way to bar this gate is to take possession of the key, which is the Korean peninsular.

However, I do not advocate a headlong rush at our enemy. We must encircle them, both militarily and politically. I would strongly recommend that we build our relations with Manchuria to the point of alliance, not to have then fight by our side, but entirely the opposite, to maintain a position of neutrality when we come to neutralise the Koreans. By not joining the war, the Manchurians will form a barrier between Korea and its potential Chinese allies. The Manchu Emperor will not declare war on his brethren, which will leave us with a free hand on the Peninsular.

The Americans are a different problem. We must ingratiate ourselves as much as possible so that their love for us is greater than the Koreans. If this does not suffice, then we must ensure our Navy is strong to guard our home waters, as the weakness of the Yan Kees is that if we sink their capital ships, their armies will be unable to set foot on our shores.

I say we should teach a lesson not to the Koreans but to the World that Nippon will defend itself and that we are a modern people who can fight a modern war. Let the Gaijin see the fate of the Koreans and think again before they scheme to subjugate Japan.

Yamamoto Hirakuni

((Fyi there wasn't a Korean emperor until ~1890s? He was just a king.))

Togo_in_Europe.jpg

Takeda Hitomi several days after his return from Europe, late 1867

Name: Takeda Hitomi 武田ひとみ born 17 August 1839 (age 29) in Kagoshima
Specialty: Naval officer -- Lieutenant
Background: Hitomi was born to a commoner father who, after the Imperial restoration, interestingly took the name of the Takeda family, despite living in Kagoshima. Hitomi's family were very staunchly pro-restoration, and when given the opportunity to join the new Imperial Japanese Navy in 1862, he did. Having already attended school thanks to the pro-Westernization rulers of the domain, Hitomi showed a natural intelligence and attraction to naval affairs that startled many. After graduating in 1866 and achieving the rank of Ensign, he took part in a minor Japanese diplomatic mission, aboard the small steam paddle corvette Sendai. On this mission he was promoted to Sub-Lieutenant and then quickly to full Lieutenant while serving as the first mate of the ship and as an aide-de-camp of one of the dignitaries aboard the vessel. Upon visiting France and the United Kingdom, Hitomi was awestruck by the incredible power and size of the Western navies. Studying Western naval theory and new technologies on this trip (and learning some English and French on the way), he returned to Japan in late 1867 determined to shape Japan into one of the greatest naval powers the world would ever know. Now unassigned, he hopes to advance up the ladder of the Navy and install his vision of Japanese naval power.

Background: Exranker
-10% morale

Personality: Skilled
+5% organization, +1 attack

Hitomi, drawing upon his experiences in the United Kingdom and France and his knowledge of naval theory and history, published a book, The National Necessity, in July 1868, advocating for government action to support and build a powerful and advanced navy both to secure Japan's position as a world power and to protect her and her domains abroad. Dedicated more to his military career than politics, he refrained from voting in the 1868 elections.

Throughout 1869, 1870, and 1871, he served as the first mate and then captain of the ironclad corvette Shikoku. He continually championed for the expansion of the Imperial Navy and constantly sought to requisition government funds to the expansion of dockyards and logistical facilities. In early 1870 he married who would soon become Takeda Aika. On January 5 of the next year, his son, Heihachirō, was born. By November he was relieved of command of Shikoku and resumed his studies on Western naval theory.

From early 1871 to mid 1872 Takeda was unassigned, continuing his studies of Western naval history and theory and attempting to tie these into the naval history and tradition of Japan. He advocated strongly for the expansion of the Navy's logistical network in the naval crisis of 1871, even going so far as to speak directly to a session of the Diet, while still a commander. In late 1872 Takeda was made commander of the new ironclad frigate Date, and after having shown strong organizational skills in disciplining his men into an efficient crew, was promoted to Captain.

Ensign -- 1866, age 26
Sub-Lieutenant -- 1867, age 27
Lieutenant -- 1867, age 28
Lieutenant Commander -- 1869, age 30
Commander -- 1871, age 31
Captain -- 1873, age 34

1866 - 1867 -- took part in minor diplomatic mission to Europe aboard the steamship Sendai
July 1868 -- published The National Necessity
February 1870 -- married Takeda Aika
October 1870 -- made commander of the ironclad corvette Shikoku
January 1871 -- his son, Takeda Heihachirō, is born
October 1872 -- made captain of the ironclad frigate Date
April 1873 -- took Date on an expedition to Seoul and Shanghai

Last edited:
An Excerpt from "The National Necessity" by Takeda Hitomi, published July 1868
Introduction
It would readily be understood and accepted that the national essence (kokutai, 国体) is to the nation itself as the soul is to the man; and that the Empire is of paramount importance to the affairs of all His Majesty's subjects. The impossibility of the concept of danger to the national essence drives fear into the hearts of many men; but it cannot be ignored. If this concept is ignored, the national essence will be struck, and the Japanese Nation will be defeated. Naturally, this cannot be allowed to happen.

Thus it must be said that the nation must be prepared to carry out war abroad. The national military must be prepared, fully, for any and all enemies that it might face; it must be large enough to take on the largest of its potential enemies, it must have the best weapons that the nation can acquire for them, and it must be composed of the most prepared men possible. The army is one half of this military; the other half is the navy.

The Imperial archipelago, naturally being composed of a grouping of islands separate from the rest of the world, cannot rely entirely upon its army for defense. Why should the Imperial government cede the national waters to our enemies, giving them the initiative to attack each city and each island as they please, leaving us to react and pushing us on the back foot? Why must we fight a defensive conflict and be at the mercy of the whims and strategies of the enemy? Why must we leave our trade undefended and at threat from the ships of the enemy? I say, we must not.

The United Kingdom is the wealthiest and most influential government in this world today. Though a European country, they control lands in far-away lands in the Americas, Africa, and even here along the shores of the Pacific. Like Japan, she is from the island chain of Britannia -- that is, separate from the rest of Europe. Historically, the British people have defended themselves from aggressors through the wise and clever usage of a large and powerful fleet. Over the course of centuries, the British have progressed from being an island people to controlling huge swathes of territory around the globe. She defends and upholds these territorial claims through the force of her vast fleet.

It must be recognized that the British could not have ever achieved such grand feats of conquest if she did not have a navy to enforce her will and project power across the oceans -- and even the hills and fields -- of the world. Similarly, the French people, though not from islands like the British, have a significantly powerful navy, and have similarly established an empire overseas. Clearly you can see the correlation between the similarities of these countries.

It is regarded among many in the West -- and myself, and others -- that the foundation and symbol of a powerful nation and empire is the presence of a large, strong fleet to support the whims of the national sovereign -- that is, His Majesty the Emperor. The Imperial Will must see not only the survival of the national essence -- of himself and of his most loyal subjects -- but the expansion of the national essence, of the imperial will, to other peoples, so that the national essence and the Empire at large will forever be secure in its power and prosperity. This national necessity -- the establishment and nurturing of a most powerful and advanced Imperial Navy -- will be expanded upon in the following pages.

Last edited:
((Private: mrlifeless))

Kishiwada-san, it has come to my attention that you have invested in an increasingly profitable enterprise, one which relies on my own produce to survive. In the interest of furthering ourselves and the industrialization of Nippon I would like to propose that we begin a joint venture. We would combine our two industries under a single corporation and expand further into Nippon. I have began making plans for the construction of a Liquor Factory and the expansion of my Kyushu Glass Factory, together we could make this happen. I await your acceptance of my offer and look forward to the Golden Age it would bring.

~ Hajamoto Yoshihiro; owner of the Kyushu Glass Factory and a fellow entrepreneur.

~ Hajamoto Yoshihiro
I must reject your offer, I do not want you to fund your polical campaigns with the funds of my (more profiable factories).

Last edited: