• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
8WmfB5b.jpg

Who Are The Kinnokai?
The Loyalist Association is a political club of former and current military men and like-minded patriots who believe in a strong military to assert Japanese sovereignty in the world. We do not wish to subjugate fellow Asian nations or to turn our backs on the outside world, only to prove our status on the world stage and stand as equals among the (mostly Western) Great Powers.

What Do We Stand For?

Our slogan is Fukoku kyōhei, it means "Enrich the State, Strengthen the Military". It is our pursuit to build a strong standing army, a powerful navy, and to keep Japan out of foreign debt while maintaining employment and industrialization projects such as new factories and railroads.​

If we let ourselves into free trade immediately the Nanbans will exploit us and our proud people will be destroyed.

How heart-warming it is to see the total and utter lack of confidence His Majesty's Loyal Opposition holds in the spirit of Japan and her people - heart-warming for Japan's enemies, that is.

I shall never understand the hypocrisy of you Matsui-esque isolationists: you claim to be patriots, true believers in the superiority of the Japanese people and her ways and customs, yet you have no faith in the superiority of these very concepts which you hold to be superior to face the challenges which present themselves. We couldn't trade or interact with the Nanban, or build factories, said the isolationists, because the inferior Nanban will corrupt our superior Japanese culture with their primitive and barbaric ways. Japanese culture proved to be far more resilient than those cowardly defeatists suggested, and today we stand as one of the most prestigious nations on Earth. We couldn't import modern weapons, said the isolationists, because cowardly western technology would diminish the strength of bushido and leave us weaker in the long term. Bushido alone didn't save us from the British, but in conjunction with those same "cowardly" weapons it has helped to forge Japan as one of the strongest nations on Earth.

Today those same defeatist isolationists say that Japan's mighty economy is too weak to compete with those of other, punier, powers; I find their cowardice and lack of faith insulting.

-- Hosokawa-dono.

Japan is strong but these westerners have been growing for 300 years while we have been stagnate it will take time before our economy can grow enough to be able to compete with the westerners, I think that I have the most experience with this being a trained economist and having grown up with the nanbans in Japan as well a going abroad to learn from some of the best in Europe

Japan is strong but these westerners have been growing for 300 years while we have been stagnate it will take time before our economy can grow enough to be able to compete with the westerners

So Japan is not strong then? Either we are robust enough to compete with others without the need for flabby tariffs or we are not: which is it?

-- Hosokawa-dono

I think that I have the most experience with this being a trained economist and having grown up with the nanbans in Japan as well a going abroad to learn from some of the best in Europe

((You do realise that it would be nigh impossible for any Japanese person born in Japan to interact with Nanban on a regular basis, let alone "grow up" with them, prior to the repeal of Sakoku, no?))

((You do realise that it would be nigh impossible for any Japanese person born in Japan to interact with Nanban on a regular basis, let alone "grow up" with them, prior to the repeal of Sakoku, no?))

((He did grow up around the time of the British War, so it would be likely for someone to receive a western style education. After all, after Japan opened up to the British and Spanish, Zen sent his son to Germany, who was born around the time Luft was born :p))

((He did grow up around the time of the British War, so it would be likely for someone to receive a western style education. After all, after Japan opened up to the British and Spanish, Zen sent his son to Germany, who was born around the time Luft was born :p))

and having grown up with the nanbans in Japan

((I made some mistakes in that to clear it up I was sent abroad at the age of 10 to learn western languages then when my father's heath deteriorated I came back but when he died I abandoned his title to be given to my younger brother))
(( The character did get a western education before moving to be tutored in the west))

Last edited:
((You would have to be at least thirteen IIRC, as that is when the war ended.))

So Japan is not strong then? Either we are robust enough to compete with others without the need for flabby tariffs or we are not: which is it?

-- Hosokawa-dono
How heart-warming it is to see the total and utter lack of confidence His Majesty's Loyal Opposition holds in the spirit of Japan and her people - heart-warming for Japan's enemies, that is.

I shall never understand the hypocrisy of you Matsui-esque isolationists: you claim to be patriots, true believers in the superiority of the Japanese people and her ways and customs, yet you have no faith in the superiority of these very concepts which you hold to be superior to face the challenges which present themselves. We couldn't trade or interact with the Nanban, or build factories, said the isolationists, because the inferior Nanban will corrupt our superior Japanese culture with their primitive and barbaric ways. Japanese culture proved to be far more resilient than those cowardly defeatists suggested, and today we stand as one of the most prestigious nations on Earth. We couldn't import modern weapons, said the isolationists, because cowardly western technology would diminish the strength of bushido and leave us weaker in the long term. Bushido alone didn't save us from the British, but in conjunction with those same "cowardly" weapons it has helped to forge Japan as one of the strongest nations on Earth.

Today those same defeatist isolationists say that Japan's mighty economy is too weak to compete with those of other, punier, powers; I find their cowardice and lack of faith insulting.

-- Hosokawa-dono.

Sir, if I may clarify:
We are NOT isolationists. The Empire's economy is strong currently, yes. However, we have just gone through a civil war and have just restructured the government; our economy has just underwent modernization and thus needs time to reach its full potential. The tariffs are in our policy in case of economic emergencies; we can always subsidize our merchants and factories with negative tariffs in other cases. We have nothing against sending our traders to trade with the gaijin and our fellow Asian nations, but we would like to give them a helping hand to get started and to protect our own trade interests, should the need arise.

~Sakamoto

We are NOT isolationists.

If I were to ask Matsui whether or not he was a moral coward, or a believer in Japan's perpetual cultural and spiritual inferiority in comparison to the culture and spirit of the western powers, do you think he would say that he was? Nevertheless that is what he is, for that is what his actions portray. You say that you are not an isolationist, and in your case Sakamoto-san I am inclined to believe you, but you behave in precisely the same manner that the isolationists have and still do behave in regards to trade. Furthermore, you do so for the same reasons as they do: out of fear of the unknown west and a belief - no matter how you may choose to hide it - in the inferiority of your own people and their customs and beliefs.

Japan can only grow with outside capital and investment, and this growth is throttled, not enhanced, by hiding behind a wall of tariffs. Courageous men do not hide behind walls.

-- Hosokawa-dono

If I were to ask Matsui whether or not he was a moral coward, or a believer in Japan's perpetual cultural and spiritual inferiority in comparison to the culture and spirit of the western powers, do you think he would say that he was? Nevertheless that is what he is, for that is what his actions portray. You say that you are not an isolationist, and in your case Sakamoto-san I am inclined to believe you, but you behave in precisely the same manner that the isolationists have and still do behave in regards to trade. Furthermore, you do so for the same reasons as they do: out of fear of the unknown west and a belief - no matter how you may choose to hide it - in the inferiority of your own people and their customs and beliefs.

Japan can only grow with outside capital and investment, and this growth is throttled, not enhanced, by hiding behind a wall of tariffs. Courageous men do not hide behind walls.

-- Hosokawa-dono
Sir,
Did I not say that the tariffs are to be only used in case of emergencies? Like any sane man, I would not impose high tariffs on our merchants at all times. The tariffs are not walls but rather a safety net in case our merchants stumble while interacting with the more experienced (for now) gaijin traders.
I personally have nothing against foreign investment, but let me ask you this: if you say that Japan can only grow with outside investment and capital, what would happen if that capital and investment does not come or is retracted? What would happen if factories began shutting down when their owners declare bankruptcy? Your policy of free trade would not allow anybody to reopen the factory ((I think free trade doesn't allow the player to reopen factories?)), eventually resulting in rows upon rows of empty factories and lines of unemployed workers on our streets. Our policies were designed with this situation in mind, to prevent this from happening, and to keep Japan's economy strong at all times.

~Sakamoto

((I am unhappy to announce my resignation from Under the Rising Sun. I will be back someday, but probably not before the game returns to some semblance of balance.))

((Oh, you mean like how it was before the revolution when you and your fellow reactionaries held a total monopoly of power? :p))

((Bid thee Firehound15 farewell, you played well. I will keep Satake down for their bonus should you ever decide to come back. Hopefully you do :D

Anyway, back to IC))

-- Hosokawa-dono

I will kill you, fiend.

-Matsui Ichiro

((Oh, you mean like how it was before the revolution when you and your fellow reactionaries held a total monopoly of power? :p))

((I would hardly say a system where the modernizers ended up in power and often were the largest faction on the Rōjū was a total monopoly. Not to mention that we were in power without bonuses, and that the liberals could have also been in charge if TA coalition end with them.))

((I would hardly say a system where the modernizers ended up in power and often were the largest faction on the Rōjū was a total monopoly.

((This happened what, once out of five or six elections? Hardly often.))

((Not to mention that we were in power without bonuses,

((Back then only you, Dada and Andre had them. None of us had any. Now both sides have bonuses.))

and that the liberals could have also been in charge if TA coalition end with them.))

((I guess you could end up in charge if you entered in coalition with the Imperialists, no? Poor argument is poor.))