• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nippon is doomed.

-Matsui Ichiro

You shouldn't worry, dear Ichi-chan, I have no intention of starting any foreign wars.

-- Hosokawa-dono, Ometsuke

((BTW the notifications system is doing it again...))

You shouldn't worry, dear Ichi-chan, I have no intention of starting any foreign wars.

Then check It yourself

((Use the "Watched Threads" button below and between the "Members" and "Register a Game" buttons. It's much better and more useful than the notification system, which is notably glitchy))

Reactions:
Budget

Taxes:
Poor: 74%
Middle: 74%
Rich: 74%

Expenses:
Stockpile:
Land: 50%
Naval: 30%
Construction: 25%

Other Expenses:
Education: 65%
Administration: 50%
Social Spending: 0%
Military Spending: 50%

Tariffs
Tariffs: 50%

Fund allocation:
Funds will be given to expand the army, navy, and infrastructure.

Contingency 1: insufficient funding
Should the treasury ever fall below £1000 in circumstances of a deficit, all strata's will have taxes increased in 5% increments until they reach 75% nominal tax rate. If this fails then the land stockpile shall be reduced to 30%. If this fails to reach a surplus, then the Military Spending shall be reduced to 40%. If this fails to reach a surplus, Education shall be reduced to 50%. If this fails to reach a surplus, then Administration shall be reduced to 30%. Should this fail, the Military Spending shall be reduced to 30%. If this fails to reach a surplus, Education will be further reduced to 30%. If this still fails to reach a surplus, taxes will be increased by increments of 5% until a surplus in achieved.

Contingency 2: War Outside or Inside the Nation ((the later is only applicable to large scale rebellions should they occur))
In the event that Japan be involved in a state of war, foreign or domestic, the Land Stockpile will be increased to 100%, in the event the war requires significant naval action the naval stockpile will also be increased to 100%. In order to compensate for budgetary deficits in this incident, taxes should be increased by 5% until a balance is achieved. If this fails Education and Administration will take 5% spending cuts until they are at 50% and 25% respectively or until a balance is achieved, this failing tariffs will be increased by 5% until a balance is achieved, failing this, administration, education and social spending will take 5% cuts until they reach 0% or a balance is achieved. If balance is not achieved, the navy will be immediately docked and funding slashed to bear minimum, this failing Military spending will take cuts of 5% until it reaches 0% or a balance is achieved, this failing military stockpile will take 5% cuts until it reaches 50%. If all previous contingencies fail, notify the cabinet immediately to see if the war is able to be terminated. On theconclusion of the state of War, civil or external, military spending and the stockpile, taxes andtariffs are to be reduced to the pre-war level andContingency 1 applies as normal. Contingency 2supersedes Contingency 1.

Contingency 3: Surplus in reference to surplus greater then 200 pounds per day
If a significant surplus is achieved taxes will be reduced on all strata's by increments of 1% until the nominal tax rates reach 40%. If the surplus is still greater then 200 per day and the government is constructing buildings, building ships or recruiting troops the construction spending will be increased until the surplus is less then 200 per day. After the building is done it will be reset back to 25%.

Contingency 4: Catastrophic debt
In the event that national debt starts posing a threat to the ability to pay loans back taxes shall be increased by 5% until the loans can be paid back. If this is not sufficient then education and military spending will be reduce by 5% until they reach 40%.

I accept my position as Interior Adviser.
Our nation need to be the center of Asia, an example to the other countries.
But to do this we have to reach the westernization. I know: a lot of Daimyos and Samurais think that this will be the end of the Empire but I want to be clear. Became westernize doesn't mean destroy our traditions. I am loyal to the Emperor and I will always be.
So I ask to the Tairo to encourage clergymen in Shikoku.
Long live the Emperor and Japan.

-- Takeshi Ohba, Interior Adviser, Roju of Tohuku, Daimyo of Yamagata.

((Turning on National Focus to encourage clergy in Shikoku))

Reactions:
I once again accept my position of Foreign Minister, I will make sure that relations with the United States remain warm and cordial while acting as their contact for any grievances or proposals to report directly to the Tairo and the rest of the Advisory Council. Unless there is anything else that the council or Oshiro Kazuki would like to add to the foreign policy docket this will be the primary focus of Nippon. (Increase Relations with US)

~Motoro Kusenagi, Foreign Minister

Reactions:
I wish to repropose the excellent education reform that Lord Ota proposed not that long ago, for it will go a long way to ensuring that more Japanese children are educated.

Lord Ota said:
高貴教育法

Koki Kyoiku-ho

Noble Education Act

GetImage.ashx

I. The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, or MEXT,will be made an official government ministry.

II. The Minister will be appointed each Rōju Election Cycle.

III. The Minister can choose the *education ideology*.

IV. The Curriculum will be based around the *education ideology*.

V. Those who can afford to pay a tuition fee may send their children to school.

VI. Foreign educators may teach Sports, Military Science, Civil Science and Technology. It is illegal for them to teach other subjects.

((Reformed Education will be implemented if it is not already.))

~ Daimyo Ōshiro Kazuki of Okayama, Roju of Chugoku and Tairō of Nippon

Last edited:
Reactions:
Player Actions Needed: Vote on the Budget and the Noble Education Act.

Sample Ballot:

Budget: Yes/No/Abstain
Noble Education Act*: Yes/No/Abstain

[Daimyo Rank (Provincial/Regional)/Karo]
[Region]
[Bonus (If Applicable)]

*=Reform

Voting closes Sunday at 9:00 PM EST or Monday at 1:00 AM GMT. A play-through shall follow.

Budget: Aye
Noble Education Act: Aye

[Regional]
[No bonus]

Reactions:
Education Act: Nay

[Regional]
[Saitama]
[No bonuses here, folks, move along]

"I know not what madness continues to pour out of Edo, but I care for none of it."

Lord Matsukata goes back to finishing selecting poems for his soon-to-be-published anthology

Reactions:
Old Ballot:

[Regional]
[No bonus]

New Ballot:

[Regional]
[Chugoku]
[No bonus]

Reactions:
Budget: Yes
Education Act: Yes

[Karo]
[Shikoku]

~Sakamoto

Reactions:
8d84de2bb17c8a210796e4ae19cc4401.png
Lord Date, not particularly concerned with voting at the moment (though still deeply interested in the state of Nippon's governance) declines to declare his support one way or the other at the moment. Instead, he remains on Shikoku and enjoys the naval exercises his recently constructed man-o-wars conduct; in one instance, an old fishing boat owned by Lord Date in need of retiring, is hastily rechristened Oshiro and fired upon by the large nanban black ships. Lord Date found this to be deeply satisfying.

Reactions:
Education Act: Yes

[Regional]
[Kanto]

Reactions:
It is time for Chugoku's armies to be modernized and expanded to match the standard set by the other regions of Nippon and as such Chugoku shall do this. A port will also be built in Okayama to allow the further strengthening of Nippon's navy.

((Replace all irregulars with regulars. If more regulars can be built, then build them. Also construct a port in Okayama.))

Reactions:
Noble Education Act: Yes

[Provincial Daimyo]
[Kyushu]

- Daimyo Ito Katashi of Miyazaki

Reactions: