• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In light of recent events I do not believe it to be wise to withhold this proposal any longer. I, Daimyo Yoshito Fureno, propose the "Reformation of the Government of Japan".
日本政府の改革
Nipponseifu no kaikaku
Reformation of the Government of Japan

I: The [将軍] Shogun will be appointed by the Emperor.

~A: The available candidates will be the Emperor's faithful [大名] Daimyo.

~B: The [将軍] Shogun serves for life, but the Emperor can order his abdication.

~C: A [大名] Daimyo can not be [将軍] Shogun and serve as a [老中] Rōjū at the same time.

II: The [将軍] Shogun will be the military leader of [日本] Nihon.

~A: The [将軍] Shogun reserves the right to call upon 50% of a [大名] Daimyo's military at any time; they will form part of the [帝国陸軍] Teikoku rikugun.

~B: The [将軍] Shogun can dictate peace terms but can not issue a declaration of war.

~C: The [将軍] Shogun appointsthe leaders of the [帝国陸軍] Teikoku rikugun.

~D: The [将軍] Shogun can request the construction of ships and/or recruiting of men in any province. These tasks will be the highest priority of the honored province.

III: Domestic affairs shall be run by the [老中] Rōjū.

~A: Construction of ports, railways, etc, will be determined by each [老中] Rōjū for his own region.

~B: The [老中] Rōjū can declare wars.

~C: Other affairs will be decided by the [大名協議会] Daimyo Council. Each [老中] Rōjū reserves the right to veto one proposal each year.

IV: The Emperor's word is law; except when:

~A: Demanding the execution or "sacking" of a [老中] Rōjū; the [大名協議会] Daimyo Council will decide the fate of a [老中] Rōjū instead.

~B: When a proposal has been vetoed by a [老中] Rōjū.

This sounds treasonous, but I can't quite explain how.

In light of recent events I do not believe it to be wise to withhold this proposal any longer. I, Daimyo Yoshito Fureno, propose the "Reformation of the Government of Japan".
日本政府の改革
Nipponseifu no kaikaku
Reformation of the Government of Japan

I: The [将軍] Shogun will be appointed by the Emperor.

~A: The available candidates will be the Emperor's faithful [大名] Daimyo.

~B: The [将軍] Shogun serves for life, but the Emperor can order his abdication.

~C: A [大名] Daimyo can not be [将軍] Shogun and serve as a [老中] Rōjū at the same time.

II: The [将軍] Shogun will be the military leader of [日本] Nihon.

~A: The [将軍] Shogun reserves the right to call upon 50% of a [大名] Daimyo's military at any time; they will form part of the [帝国陸軍] Teikoku rikugun.

~B: The [将軍] Shogun can dictate peace terms but can not issue a declaration of war.

~C: The [将軍] Shogun appointsthe leaders of the [帝国陸軍] Teikoku rikugun.

~D: The [将軍] Shogun can request the construction of ships and/or recruiting of men in any province. These tasks will be the highest priority of the honored province.

III: Domestic affairs shall be run by the [老中] Rōjū.

~A: Construction of ports, railways, etc, will be determined by each [老中] Rōjū for his own region.

~B: The [老中] Rōjū can declare wars.

~C: Other affairs will be decided by the [大名協議会] Daimyo Council. Each [老中] Rōjū reserves the right to veto one proposal each year.

IV: The Emperor's word is law; except when:

~A: Demanding the execution or "sacking" of a [老中] Rōjū; the [大名協議会] Daimyo Council will decide the fate of a [老中] Rōjū instead.

~B: When a proposal has been vetoed by a [老中] Rōjū.

This despicable piece of paper would turn the holy Shogun into a mere Prime Minister. I urge my fellow daimyo to reject this catastrophe.

-Matsui

This sounds treasonous, but I can't quite explain how.

This despicable piece of paper would turn the holy Shogun into a mere Prime Minister. I urge my fellow daimyo to reject this catastrophe.

-Matsui

I believe that this is in fact not treasonous. Rather it simply places the Shogun back in his rightful position; closest advisor of the Emperor and military ruler of Nippon. To Matsui-san, I believe you will find that the Shogun is in fact only as holy as we Daimyo whereas the Emperor is a true deity.

~ Yoshito; Lord Fureno-Shizuoka

(( PRIVATE: Takeshi Ohba & Sakamoto ))

I would like to invite you to my humble home to discuss matters relating to reforming the governance of our proud nation. Specifically I would like you to consider the following proposal:

I really appreciate the "Reformation of the Goverment of Japan" of Lord Yoshito. This will be the first step of the progress of our Empire.

Reactions:
I put my support behind Lord Yoshito's proposition. It is only right for the Emperor to be the head of Nihon's government; after all, he is an Emperor and a god.
I see you took my advice on adopting a structure of government similar to that of the gaijin Great Power プロイセン; this will be a great way to save both the Empire and our way of life at the same time.

~Sakamoto

I put my support behind Lord Yoshito's proposition. It is only right for the Emperor to be the head of Nihon's government; after all, he is an Emperor and a god.
I see you took my advice on adopting a structure of government similar to that of the gaijin Great Power プロイセン; this will be a great way to save both the Empire and our way of life at the same time.

~Sakamoto

The Emperor should not be bothered by the filth of government and politics. He is above such petty concerns.

-Matsui

The Emperor should not be bothered by the filth of government and politics. He is above such petty concerns.
May I remind you that the position of Shogun was originally created by the Emperor as purely a military advisor and leader? The Shogun should not care about politics. An emperor is an emperor, and emperors must reign and rule. Look at the emperors of Nihon before the Sengoku Jidai. They didn't seem to be disgusted with handling affairs of the state. Our imperial government was structured on the ancient Chinese system, where the emperor was head of state. Although that system is no longer valid, our current system of a powerful Shogun is also no longer valid. We must adapt or die. Bring back the emperor and give him power over the nation in the same manner of the gaijin kingdoms, or we stay where we are, and our way of life is obliterated by the gaijin.

~Sakamoto

Last edited:
Reactions:
((I sound like an idiot, but where?))

((

HOLY. SHIT.

I was just thinking that TH's next IAAR should be set in Japan and now I found out that there already is a Japanese IAAR.
And I missed the start!

And apparently we already had a Communist Samurai and there's a proposal to silently overthrow the Tokugawas. I don't know how well the guys in Edo are going to react to this...

Anyway, if I can, I'll reserve the Toyama Province for my mostly custom Clan. I'll post my character soon enough.))

Nippon Army Act: No
Regional Armies Act: No
Save the Emperor Agreement: No
War Adviser Act: Abstain
Reformation of the Government of Japan: No
Hang Asahi Daika: Yes
Hang Tarou Seita: Yes

[Regional]
[Chogoku]

((private-Roju))
This "Reformation of the Government of Japan" is a disaster. It hurts my eyes even looking at it. While I am certain that the Daimyos will not be foolish and overwhelmingly oppose this, it would be an insult to even present this to the shogun. So, I will exercise the powers of the Roju and call a "veto" (the barbaric word leaves an awful taste in my mouth saying it) against the proposal.

- Mori Takachika, Daimyo of Chosu Domain

After hearing much about the discussions in Edo, and how people were advocating the removal of the Emperor, denouncing the Emperors divinity, calling for removal of the Shogun, turning the Shogun into a rubber stamp, spouting mistruths about the Emperors past power, etc.

After thinking about this for a time, Date Narikuni walks out the side of his estate and walks to the edge of the wall looks down and then proceeds to vomit, over the thought of a lowly samurai denouncing the Emperors divine heritage. After he finishes, he walks back to his estate, and gets his sons and himself ready for a ride to Edo, hoping that one more sane voice in the sea of insanity will end it.

Nippon Army Act: No
Regional Armies Act: No
Save the Emperor Agreement: No
Reformation of the Government of Japan: No
Hang Asahi Daika: Yes
Hang Tarou Seita: Yes

[Regional]
[Chubu]

((private-Roju))
All of these are awful ideas.

Reactions:
I'm surprised the Shogun is permitting these acts to be discussed at all. Most of them either infringe on his powers or outright overthrow him. I approve of reform, but this is not the right direction.

Nippon Army Act: Abstain
Regional Armies Act: Abstain
Save the Emperor Agreement: Abstain
Reformation of the Government of Japan: Abstain

[Provincial]
[Kyushu]

-Daimyo Ito Katashi of Miyazaki

((Most of the proposals feel like borderline treason. I'd rather avoid that issue. Abstains; abstains everywhere. :p))

Nippon Army Act: Abstain
Regional Armies Act: Abstain
Save the Emperor Agreement: Yes
Reformation if the Government og Japan: Yes

[Provincial]
[Chubu]