• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Civil War
The Japanese civil war shall be fought between two factions:

Inperial Japan: Led by the Privy Council and Prime Minister Kishiwada. The capital shall be Edo

Militarist Japan: Led by the Supreme War Council headed by General Yamagata. The capital shall be Kyoto

The first stage of the civil war is declaring loyalty to either the Imperials or the Militarists. This is simply done by a vote.

The second stage shall be building of arms and spreading dissent. This shall be the longest section of the civil war, and shall last about 5 in-game years. Events shall pop up for both factions as each faction tries to undermine the other. Politicians can be used to spread disent against the opposing side or raise national pride to get more soldiers. Economists can use business connections and hurt economic aspects of the other country, hurting their money supply. The armies assigned to each side shall be fully restored and armed to the max to start off each side balanced. Militarists whether NPC or players shall be assigned to fight and lead armies.

The third stage is fighting the war. It will be a tactical war, where both sides tell me how to fight, similar to the Boshin War. This time though, with two separate nations at war, the battles will not be decided by dice or luck or subjective views. The war shall be to annexed the other and shall follow in-game Warscore. Whoever wins the in-game war wins the civil war.

The Northern Army and half of the Imperial guard shall go to the Imperials, the Southern Army and the other half of the guard shall go to the Militarists. The colonial armies are free to pick their side.

Tonight shall start the vote for loyalties

To His Majesty the Emperor
To the Prime Minister
To the lords of the Privy Council

My lords,

During my tenure as the Ambassador to Germany, I seem to have not witnessed the great changes and turmoils that have happened within our country. I see men of government turning into rebels against the said government - and then toppled as well. I see that greed has overcome many of my former colleagues and they, already enjoying both the support of His Majesty and the populace, decided to rule the country without His august self, through some kind of provisional council of soldiers. This move is as traitorous as silly - for one can understand when weak and disgruntled take arms to gain power, but when the men of power destroy the foundations of their own authority trying to implement some mad schemes - it is simply idiotic.

I, of course, affirm my loyalty to His Majesty and the government appointed by Him, congratulate him on returning His divine rights and beg to continue His absolute rule, without schackling himself with any kind of constitutions that would let canny politicians usurp His powers. We had enough of this Western nonsense.

At the same time, since the Kaiser and his ministers make certain inquires about the domestic state of our country, I ask for instructions from the Imperial Court and Ministry regarding the actions of General Yamagata and current disturbances.

At the same time, being a career army officer and feeling that at such grim times a loyal vassal should not stay in safety while his master is in danger, I offer His Majesty my sword and am ready to serve him at the field of battle wherever he puts me.

- Asano Yoshinaga, Marquess of Hiroshima

Last edited:
oUxYSyd.png

FREE JAPANESE ARMY MEDICAL CORPS

- 医療隊 -
"Founded by Dr. Marquis Satake Hiroshi to provide medical support to the Pro-Household Army in the Japanese Civil War, the Medical Corps was organized under his relatively indirect leadership as Surgeon General. Despite this formal title, Dr. Satake instead chose to delegate much of the authority and decision-making to an elite group of medical officers formed out of his own apprentices, other Japanese doctors trained in Western medicine, and a new set of intelligent young officers who received instruction directly from Dr. Satake. His relatively loose exercise of authority over the organization (which would grow rapidly in the early stages of the Civil War,) was often believed to have been a direct result of his other duties and firm belief in the separation of the civilian government from the military..."
Shinobu Shizuka, PhD
The Japanese Civil War
1983, University Press

((Private))

In the middle of the night, Ryoma received yet another typed note with no signature:
"You thought it would be that easy, right? The coup's escalated into civil war. You probably should leave now."

"My dear?" said Sayaka. "What is it now?"
"The bloodless coup was just the beginning," said Ryoma, "I think that now you guys should get out of here. Start packing your bags. You're all headed first to China and from there to Germany, where I've arranged for you, Akira, Kimiko, and the Korean orphans to stay until this is all over."
"Don't tell me you are going to stay here while Japan burns."
"Listen, this is like a Second Boshin War. You know what happened in the First Boshin War with my father. I don't want anything to happen to you guys. So I will make my father proud and fight for my emperor against this new pseudo-Shogunate."
He looked at his father's sword and his portrait, hanging over the fireplace.
"If I die, I die with honor. If they win and I am still alive, I commit seppuku. If we win...then we'll talk about it once it is all over."
Sayaka understood. She immediately took out her bags and began packing everything.
Ryoma went up to his father's study and opened the closet. Hanging inside was his father's old uniform. But he was not a soldier, he was a politician. He fought with words, not bullets. He closed the closet.

The next day, after taking his family to the port of Edo and getting them on a steamer to China, he drove to the Sakamoto Shrine in Edo, as the one in Shikoku was in rebel territory. He bowed in reverence at the front of the shrine and offered incense to his father's portrait.
"Father," he muttered, "I know I haven't always been the best son, but I need your guidance now. Japan is at war again, and the Shogunate has been resurrected. You fought the Shogun and you defeated him. You were a hero to Japan. You restored the Emperor's power. Now everything we have fought for is at stake. So if you're listening, Father, please...tell me how to serve my emperor and my empire. Tell me how to defeat the militarists."
He would bide his time. He wouldn't pick a side just yet, but when it came the time to do so, he knew which side he would choose.
"Tenno heika banzai."

Flag of Imperial Japan

LbqzwKl.png

As proposed to the Privy Council of Japan and His Imperial Majesty by Count Nishimura

This flag features the elements in the very center of the Japanese Empire: The chrysanthemum Imperial Seal, to symbolize His Imperial Majesty; and the rays of the rising sun - an ages-old symbol of Japan as the land of the east.

Prince Marshal Yamagata stands before the Imperial Guard, his officers and commanders lined behind him and the Imperial Palace lying in the distance. The stresses of the last months have taken their toll on him and he looks his age of seventy-nine. There's a frown on his face, a dark contrast with his neat uniform adorned with medals and new rankings indicating his status in the Empire.

"Sons of Japan,

On this day we mark a transition. For a thousand years, the Empire has stood as the crowning achievement of civilized beings. But there were those who would set us against one another, and we took up arms to defend our way of life against the Imperial Powers of Europe. In so doing, we never suspected that the greatest threat came from within.
The Traditionalists, and some within our own Diet, had conspired to create the shadow of the old ways using one of their own as the enemy's leader. They had hoped to grind the Empire into ruin. But the hatred in their hearts could not be hidden forever. At last, there came a day when our enemies showed their true natures.

The Traditionalists hoped to unleash their destructive power against the Empire by seizing the Supreme Commander and the Supreme War Council and usurping control of the state. But the aims of would-be tyrants were valiantly opposed by those without elitist, dangerous powers. Our loyal soldiers waited patiently and freed us, and more than half of the Empire.

These traitors will be hunted down and defeated! Any collaborators will suffer the same fate. These have been trying times, but we have passed the test. The prison conditions has left me weakened, but I assure you my resolve has never been stronger. This 'civil war' will be over soon. Their attempts at quashing us have been foiled. We stand on the threshold of a new beginning. In order to ensure our security and continuing stability, the Empire will be reorganized and purged of all evil elements, for a safe and secure society, which I assure you will last for ten thousand years. An Empire that will continue to be overseen by our beloved Emperor. An Empire ruled through his will, and by a new constitution!

By bringing the entire Empire under one law, one language, and the enlightened guidance of one individual, the corruption that plagued the Empire in its later years will never take root. Regional governors will eliminate the bureaucracy that allowed the Traditionalist movement to grow unchecked. A strong and growing military will ensure the rule of law.

Under the Empire's New Order, our most cherished beliefs will be safeguarded. We will defend our ideals by force of arms. We will give no ground to our enemies and will stand together against attacks from within or without. Let the enemies of the Empire take heed: those who challenge Imperial resolve will be crushed.

We have taken on a task that will be difficult, but the people of the Empire are ready for the challenge. Because of our efforts, the galaxy has traded war for peace and anarchy for stability. Millions of Japanese now look forward to a secure future. The Empire will grow as more feel the call, from the Pacific Islands to the Asian mainland.

Imperial citizens must do their part. Join our navy. Become the eyes of the Empire by reporting suspected insurrectionists. Travel to the corners of the Empire to spread the principles of the New Order to barbarians. Build monuments and technical wonders that will speak of our glory for generations to come.

The army, now proudly bearing true Imperial Will, have tackled the dangerous work of fighting our enemies on the front lines. Many have died in their devotion to the Empire. Imperial citizens would do well to remember their example.

The New Order of Peace has triumphed over the shadowy secrecy of shameful deceivers. The direction of our course is clear. I will guide the Empire to glories beyond imagining.

We have been tested, but we have emerged stronger. We move forward as one people: the Imperial citizens of the Great Japanese Empire. We will prevail. Ten thousand years of prosperity begins today."

---

640px-War_flag_of_the_Imperial_Japanese_Army.svg.png

With the likely impaired position of the Emperor, and the dishonorable lies whispered in His Majesty's ear, we find that we must assume authority as Regent until his liberation from Edo and the restoration of His Majesty's rightful government. As such, assuming our position as Regent of the Empire, and Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces, we do hereby make the following disposition of titles, appointments to the Privy Council and the formation of a new government.

Further, we decree that once the situation has stabilized that new, free and fair elections will be held. Until such a time we restore the current Diet, as well as repeal the existing limitations on participation and on military seats within. As such we appoint non-partisan officials from the Empire to serve in those vacant seats until elections are held.

Lastly, we issue a general pardon for all individuals who travel to Kyoto and renounce their association with the traditionalists in Edo, we demand no further concessions other than that.

The Privy Council

Prince Date Takemaru
Prince Sakamoto Ryoma
Prince Uesugi Mochinori
Marquis Tanabe Shinzō, Lord President of the Privy Council
Marquis Kusenagi Miroki
Marquis Asano Yoshinaga
Marquis Nishimura Masaru
Count Nobunage Tadakaka
Count Toyokawa Itakshir
Viscount Iroh Hirotaka

(Decreed in the name of the Emperor, by His Regent, in the Year 1898)

The Imperial Cabinet

Prime Minister & Minister of Foreign Affairs Marquis Tanabe Shinzō
Deputy Prime Minister & Minister of the Imperial Household Prince Uesugi Mochinori
Minister of War Count Nobunage Tadakaka

Chief of the Army & Navy General Staffs Marquis-Marshal Kusenagi Miroki
Minister of Finance Marquis Nishimura Masaru
Minister of the Interior Prince Date Takemaru
Minister of Justice Kitasato Yataro
Minister of Education Prince Sakamoto Ryoma
Minister of Commerce Count-General Yamamoto Hirakuni

Governor-General of Chosen Count-General Yamamoto Hirakuni
Governor-General of the Philippines Viscount Iroh Hirotaka

Last edited:
Excerpt from an Interview with Dr. Marquis Satake Hiroshi, Surgeon-General:

"I must express my doubts... that a government formed... from the faction which had, previously, argued in favor of a... military dictatorship... would ever be so inclined as to... promise a constitution... while claiming that the current government, backed by the Emperor of Japan, was illegitimate... even when we have made expressly clear that debate on a new constitution was a priority of the rightful Privy Council..."

With the likely impaired position of the Emperor, and the dishonorable lies whispered in His Majesty's ear, we find that we must assume authority as Regent until his liberation from Edo and the restoration of His Majesty's rightful government. As such, assuming our position as Regent of the Empire, and Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces, we do hereby make the following disposition of titles, appointments to the Privy Council and the formation of a new government.

Further, we decree that once the situation has stabilized that new, free and fair elections will be held. Until such a time we restore the current Diet, as well as repeal the existing limitations on participation and on military seats within. As such we appoint non-partisan officials from the Empire to serve in those vacant seats until elections are held.

Lastly, we issue a general pardon for all individuals who travel to Kyoto and renounce their association with the traditionalists in Edo, we demand no further concessions other than that.

The recent proclamation by General Yamagata has assuaged any doubts that may ever have lingered over my actions. I had hopped that perhaps the General was motivated by a differing philosophy for the Empire, however he seems perfectly content to do away with all he sought to achieve. These are not the actions of an impassioned ideologue, but of a man who cares only for his own power and place in the world. If he did not raise his hand against our Divine Sovereign out of a deep belief that his was the better path for His Majesty's Empire then his actions are little more than despicable treason.

I am also disturbed by the General's increasingly regal language, referring to himself as if he were a monarch, heaping himself with honours and adopting the rank of Grand Marshal - an office that is the preserve of His Imperial Majesty.

I call for all Rebels to lay down their arms, banish any thoughts of treason and throw themselves upon his Majesty's mercy.

---​

((Private - PC))

It has come to my attention that this body has no representation from the Military, barring the presence of Count Date on behalf of his father. I have long been of the opinion that the realms of governance - be it Military, Economic or Political - must work in consensus and without artificial barriers. I would thus motion that Count Yamamoto and Marquis Asano be placed upon this body that they may offer their expertise to His Imperial Majesty.

The former has demonstrated his loyalty and diligence to our Divine Sovereign on numerous occasions, standing by him in this recent crisis, in leading troops against the British Devils in the Great Asian War. The latter is the son of a man who gave his life for Japan fighting alongside Prince Date at Khaborvsk and saw action there himself. Further, he has, without prompting, declared his loyalty to His Imperial Majesty without a full grasp of the situation and without knowledge of whether we face a hopeless battle. It is thus that I must commend these two men.

Last edited:
LbqzwKl.png

The Imperial Cabinet of Japan
Prime Minister:Kishiwada Yukio (mrlifeless)
Minister of Foreign Affairs:Ito Masaki(Michaelangelo)
-Ambassador to Germany:Sakamoto Ryoma(zenphoenix)
Minister of War:Yamamoto Gonnohyoe (Davout)
-Chief of the Army/Navy General Staff:Yamamoto Gonnohyoe (Davout)
-Secretary of the Navy:Date Munehiro (Riccardo93)
Minister of Finance:Nishimura Masaru(EmperorBasilius)
Minister of the Interior:Kusaribe Kinzo(Keinwyn)
Minister of Justice:Nakamura Isamu(Latin Kaiser)
Minister of Education:Satake Hiroshi (Firehound15)

Governor-General of Chosen:Asano Yoshinaga(Marschalk)
Governor-General of the Philippines:Iroh Hirotaka (DutchGuy)

Minister of Justice Kitasato Yataro

"I accept the position of Minister of Justice of the sole legitimate Imperial Government, the Supreme War Council in Kyoto. I thank the Prince-Regent Grand-Marshal for his faith in my abilities and those of the Japanese Union of Nationalists who have continually supported the military as an impartial and incorruptible force in the swamp of politics. I must also do my part and recommend my mentor and founder of the JUN, Viscount Chosokame Ito, for the privy council.

It is my hope that my fellow Northerners will soon come to their senses and turn in the criminal insurrectionists of the Osaka Pact rebel group."
- Kitasato Yataro, Minister of Justice, Kyoto Government

I side with the Emperor. I only sided with Yamagata because he promised to deliver Nippon from democratic decadence. Now I shall defend His Majesty from the forces of the neo-Shogunate.

-Daisuke Matsuzaka

((Private))

Matsuzaka drinks tea with his friend, Koji Uehara

"Risky move," Uehara said.

"Yes, but Yamagata has ignored me for long enough. I dedicated my entire life to the NLP yet he gave me nothing in return."

I offer my full loyalties to the Supreme War council in Kyoto.

- Nobunage Tadakaka

My loyalties lie with the Emperor, as they always have. Even as my home in Miyazaki has been overrun by these traitors, I will not falter. Yamagata claims he fights for the Emperor, yet who is it who he fights against? He is a tyrant who would see the Emperor shackled as he was in the old Shogunate. He even dares to speak as the Emperor's representative. The Emperor shall be free and we shall be the ones to do it. Long live the Emperor and long live Nippon!

It has come to my attention that this body has no representation from the Military, barring the presence of Count Date on behalf of his father. I have long been of the opinion that the realms of governance - be it Military, Economic or Political - must work in consensus and without artificial barriers. I would thus motion that Count Yamamoto and Marquis Asano be placed upon this body that they may offer their expertise to His Imperial Majesty.

((Private - PC))

I second this. Both men have proven their loyalty and proven themselves as men of integrity. They will help lead the Emperor to victory.

- Count Ito Masaki of Miyazaki

((Private - Ainu))

An aide hands General Atakshir a letter. He chuckles as he reads it.

"They're all the same. They both claim change yet the Ainu will not receive it."

((Public))

I will offer my services to whichever side guarantees the greatest amount of rights to the Ainu people.

- General Atakshir Toyokawa

Reactions:
((Private))
He hadn't planned to do this, but it just...happened. An hour ago he was in downtown Edo for a morning walk, and the next thing he knew he was surrounded by a crowd of citizens, some of them reporters, some of them veterans of the Boshin War, and all of them asking what side he was on. Now he found himself on a platform in front of the Shogun's old castle, with hundreds of men, women, and children of all ages looking to him expectantly.
"Uh, people of Japan," he stammered. No, that was way too cliche.
Ignore those thoughts, said a voice inside his head, they will only weigh you down. Let me take control.

((Public))
"Citizens of the Empire of Japan!" he shouted. "Our nation is destined for greatness, yet there are those who wish to hold us back and take us back to the days of the Shogunate, to the days of military rule. I stand in front of the Tokugawa's castle, the symbol of the old Shogunate, which my father personally captured for the Emperor all those years ago and led us into the light. He made a vow that never again will the Shogun return, and I have taken that vow. Recently, Yamagata and a council of generals have taken control of southern Japan in an attempt to restore the Shogunate in all but name. They will not admit that they are doing so, of course, but it is their actions that define them, and they have chosen to resist the will of the mighty Emperor, the son of Amaterasu himself! They try to bribe me with a position on their so-called "cabinet," but they do not know I am an honorable man and I will follow in the footsteps of my late father, the brave war hero Sakamoto Naotari!
"People of Japan, the empire is at a crossroads. Do you want to return to a military government, to the days of the bakufu, to the days of the Sengoku jidai, to the days we were dominated by the gaijin? Do you want to see your sons, brothers, fathers, and husbands sent off to pointless wars with gaijin and fellow Asian brothers and sisters just to bring prestige and glory to the generals, generals who aren't even near the front lines, generals who kill thousands with the stroke of a keyboard or a pen, generals who sip tea and sit in their gaijin-made chairs while innocent men die for scraps of land? Do you want to live in a regime which only regards you as soldiers, pawns in the game of warfare, whose only purpose in life is to kill, be killed, and to make killing machines to kill more? Or do you want to live under a government that does have respect for your lives. The Emperor is the son of Amaterasu, and his will is divinely-inspired. To question his will is to go against the way of the gods. The generals who questioned his will are motivated by their drive for glory, death, and blood. The Emperor does not have such motivations, as he is the son of Amaterasu! He is above such motivations. Put the emperor in control and he will make Japan great again!
"But if we are to be a strong and prosperous nation, we must ensure that all of our citizens are happy and loyal to the emperor. As a member of the Privy Council, I will see to it that all citizens of the empire gain the rights that they deserve. The Ainu are not our subjects, they are equals and will be treated as such under our government! The Koreans are our brothers and sisters in Asia, and we must treated them as brothers and sisters, not dogs! The Filipinos have been liberated from gaijin oppression, and we must show them that life under the Emperor is better than life under the gaijin! Do you know what the generals will do once they are in control? Oppress them, impose our culture upon them, make them prone to rebellion, and when they do rebel, then the generals will get the fights they want and the glory they seek. They will turn on China, Vietnam, Siam, the other Asians once they have crushed all of the rebels, for the sole purpose of outdoing each other in the battles they fought, not for the noble cause of liberating Asia from the gaijin, as they so claim. And they will treat the conquered peoples the same way they treat the Koreans and Ainu and Filipinos, inciting them to violence and then sending in their troops to claim glory and prestige. We cannot allow that to happen!
"Join me, loyal citizens, and show your loyalty to the true ruler of Japan, the emperor, not to some ambitious quasi-Shogun who only wants blood. Together we can drive out the militarists and make Japan great again! BANZAI! BANZAI! TENNO HEIKA BANZAI!"

"BANZAI! BANZAI! TENNO HEIKA BANZAI!" boomed the crowd, which now numbered in the thousands.

((Also naxhi how are you going to play both sides of the civil war in the same singleplayer game?))

((Message sent from Army of Korea Headquarters, Seoul to the Imperial Palace, Edo))

To His Imperial Majesty

I confirm the loyalty of myself, the Army of Korea and the Vice royalty of Korea to the Imperial cause.

I also confirm my acceptance of the positions of Minister of War and Chief of Staff in the new Government. I shall use my best endeavours to defend the Empire from the rebels who now seek to usurp millenia of Divine Authority. I hope that I may serve you as well as my father and his comrades served you in the Boshin Wars.

Please ignore the reports of the appointment of my late father as a Minister of Commerce in the rebel cabal. The loyalty of the Yamamoto clan has always been to the Emperor and the Japanese people.

Yamamoto Gonnohyoe
Count of Nagasaki

Player Actions Needed: We begin with stage one of the civil war phase I need you to vote on which faction you support so that the leaders of said faction get a better idea of who is with them.

Loyalty: Imperials/Militarists/Neither

Voting for this shall end in two days, Friday at 9:00 PM EST or Saturday at 2:00 AM GMT

Loyalty: Imperials