• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Borrowing some characters, don't mind me ;)))

The Emperor looked out the window of his palace. He saw a beautiful garden in the courtyard of his castle. It was a beautiful garden with cherry blossoms and small trees. The sand was careful raked by Buddhist monks. On the edge of the courtyard, a small Shinto shrine stood. Meiji wondered if the spirit of his father rested in the temple. He never really thought much of his father, Emperor Komei. From what people told him, his father was not the same as he was. Meiji thought it was because he was the son of him and his concubine. Yet becoming the Emperor at such a young age did not bother Meiji. For the last thirty years, he had done his best to try and modernize his nation and make it great. Yet, the 46 year old Emperor stood and looked out over the garden.

"Your majesty" said a voice in the background. Meiji turned around and saw Prince Date Munenari bowing behind him.

"Rise my friend" said the Emperor. Date had been at his side since he was nothing more then a boy. It was his wisdom that guided Meiji through his youth. Meiji looked to Date as a teacher, a guardian, but only in teachings of politics and the court. He was taught war, military strategy, and combat from Sakamoto Naotari while he was still a Samurai. Both these men were like father figures to Meiji, but he hated that they were now bitter rivals. Both these men were as loyal as can be in servitude, and Meiji knew that both men would lay down their lives if he just said the word.

"Your majesty, the rebels have been defeated, Japan is at peace." said Munenari.

"Good... Good..." said Meiji, continuing to look out over the garden. He was in deep thought, and Munenari knew that.

"Your majesty, you looked troubled" said Munenari.

"My friend, you have been with me since I was a child. You have taught me all I need to know to run this country. Yet, for some odd reason I still have doubts over all... THIS" said Meiji.

"What are you refering to my lord?" asked Munenari.

"The nation as a whole. Can we truly be modern? Has fate doomed us to be always behind the west?" asked Meiji.

"We must not dwell on that. The future is ripe for your taking!" said Munenari.

"True... but..."

"My lord! A visitor!" shouted a servant from the entrance of the room. Meiji beckoned, and a man slowly walked in. He was about fifty years old, but looked as if old age had not struck him at all. He looked as if youth was still with him. The man had a wrapped object in his belt. Emperor Meiji knew right away who it was. It was Sakamoto Ryoma, the son of Sakamoto Naotari. Ryoma went over to Meiji, bowed down, and unraveled the cloth. It was Naotari's sword! At that instance, Meiji knew what this meant. He kneeled down to pick up the sword.

"Is it true? Has your father passed away?" asked Meiji. Ryoma could only look at him with sadness in his eyes. "Were you there with him at the end?" Ryoma shook his head in a yes motion. Meiji held the sword in his hand. Legend had it Naotari slew twenty Shogunate troops on the field of Edo that day.

Meiji looked up. "I have dreamed of a unified Japan. Of a country strong and independent and modern. We have railroads and cannon, Western clothing." Meiji looked at the sword. "But we cannot forget who we are. Or where we come from."

"My liege, Naotari was once my loyal retainer. He was an honorable warrior, and a good friend. I will order him buried on Shikoku, his home..."

"Naotari shall be buried here in the Imperial Cemetery." said Meiji.

"My liege, that land is for Imperial Family only! You cannot expect someone even of the statue of Naotari to have it as his final resting ground!" Munenari protested.

"Naotari was family, he was the man who led our nation to victory, your greatest general! He is a legend, and legends deserve a burial befitting them. My word is final!" shouted Meiji. Munenari bowed, and walked out of the room. Meiji looked at Ryoma.

"If you feel that your father should be buried elsewhere, please tell me. I wish for Naotari to rest in the place he wants to rest in." said Meiji.

"But tell me... how did he die?" the Emperor asked.

Ryoma looked up at the Emperor. "I will tell you how he lived..."

Reactions:
((Private - Jiyudo Party))

My fellow party members. It is clear that our party's structure, or lack thereof, has been a huge detriment to our unity and to our electoral success. We must show the voters that our party is different from the one which imploded over a dispute between members. A dispute whose aftermath has seen the death of two of Nippon's most iconic figures. In a way, their death is a signal that new times are ahead. That a new era is beckoning forth, and that new era shall see the Jiyudo Party rise to heights we never imagined.

But in order to lead this new age, we must offer something new. We must be innovators while maintaining order. A constitution must be adopted, something which no party has done before. A constitution will show that our party has a sound structure and it will ensure the incidents such as the aforementioned one shall not happen again.

Therefore, it is with much excitement and pride that I present to you the constitution of the Jiyudo Party. ((Ignore the odd numbering as I copied this from a google doc. The subesections should be referred to as their letters in alphabet. ))

The Constitution of the Jiyudo Party

We, the members of the Jiyudo Party, have come together to make a formal party structure to ensure harmony and unity within the party.

1. The Jiyudo party shall be led by a Leader who shall dictate the party platform and policy, open votes and close votes within reasonable times, count the ballots, appoint a deputy leader, issue the party platform, and serve as the prospective yet not exclusive Prime Minister for the party.
  1. The Party Leader may not make any changes in fundamental policy ((The in-game stuff. For example, Moralism/Interventionism/Pro-Military/etc.)) without the consent of the party through a vote.
  2. A reasonable time depends on the vote. Nominations for party leader must be required a good length of time ((48 hours)). Leadership elections shall the same amount of time ((48 hours)) unless a Diet election is imminent which in this case it may be shortened to at minimum half of that time ((24-48 hours)).
  3. The Jiyudo Party Leader must be a party member and must vote and show support for the party in the general election if they wish to maintain their status as leader.
  4. The Party Leader may be forced to resign if a vote of no confidence against them passes by a simple majority of voters. In order for a vote of no confidence to be called a party member must motion for a vote of no confidence, then another party member must second this motion. The same amount of time as leadership elections shall be required ((48 hours since the motion was seconded)) for a no confidence vote. However, if a Diet election is imminent then it shall be shortened to a minimum amount of time needed ((24 hours)). If the no confidence vote must take less than the minimum specified time ((24 hours)) due to an imminent Diet election, then the motion shall be void. If a vote of no confidence passes then a shortened leadership election period shall take place. A small amount of time for both nominations and the election ((24 hours each))

II. The Jiyudo Party shall have Deputy Leader, appointed by the Party Leader, who shall serve as acting Party Leader when the Party Leader is unable to fulfill their duties or when there is no Party Leader. The Deputy Leader shall also be the Whip and submit to party members how they should vote on present legislation. They are a close adviser to the Party Leader.
  1. The Deputy Leader must be a member of the party and must vote for and support the party in elections if they wish to maintain their status as Deputy Leader.
  2. The Deputy Leader is appointed by the Party Leader.
  3. If the Party Leader is temporarily disabled or unable to fulfill their duties then they may serve as acting leader until the situation is resolved.
  4. The Deputy Leader may be forced to resign if a vote of no confidence against them passes by a simple majority of voters. In order for a vote of no confidence to be called a party member must motion for a vote of no confidence, then another party member must second this motion.The same amount of time as leadership elections shall be required ((48 hours since the motion was seconded)) for a no confidence vote. However, if a Diet election is imminent then it shall be shortened to a minimum amount of time needed ((24 hours)). If the no confidence vote must take less than the minimum specified time ((24 hours)) due to an imminent Diet election, then the motion shall be void. If a vote of no confidence passes then the Party Leader shall appoint a new Deputy Leader.

III. Leadership elections shall be held in accordance with their specified times. The voting system shall be one of a instant-runoff. Voters rank the candidates in order of their preference. After an election’s deadline has been reached, then the ballots shall be counted by the Party Leader. Only the first preference on the ballot shall be immediately counted. Should no candidate reach a majority of votes then the candidate(s) with the least amount of votes shall be removed from the competition and the ballots which have that candidate as their first preference shall instead give those votes to the candidate who was their next preference on the ballot. Should no majority be reached then the candidate with the least amount of votes shall be removed and the next preference on those ballots shall be counted instead. This process will be continued until one candidate has received a majority.
  1. A voter may put any number of preferences on their ballot.

IV. This Constitution shall have a process for amendment. A party member shall suggest an amendment and it shall be voted upon along with the next leadership elections. The Party Leader may also hold a separate vote specifically for the amendment allowing the necessary minimum time ((24 hours)) for the vote to be held. A 2/3rd majority shall be needed for the passage of the amendment.
  1. The exception shall be with the first amendment which will deal with the name of the party. That will be voted using the instant runoff system.

I also shall propose the first amendment to this Constitution. It shall make use of the instant runoff voting mentioned in the Constitution. It shall be regarding a new party name.

Options: Jiyudo (No change), New Alliance Party, Order & Reform, New Japan Party, All Japan Party, National Party, Reform Front, Traditional Reform, Democratic Alliance, Japanese Alliance, Pragmatic Reform Party, Justice & Order, Constitution Party, Constitutional Reform Party, Constitutional Democratic Party, Constitutional Alliance, Oriental Party, Centre Party, Taiyō no Tō (Party of the Sun), Independence Party, Independent Reform Party, Independent Conservative Party, Anti-Dictatorship Party, The Reform Experience, Martial Law is Too Damn High!, Japanese Power!

Example Ballot:

1. Taiyo no To
2. Independence Party
3. Martial Law is Too Damn High!
4. None

You may have as many preferences as you please. ((Voting ends in 48 hours.))

((Private: Privy Council))

The Field Marshal listens to Marquis Uesugi’s remarks with a bemused smirk, nods politely as he concludes, and briefly skims his notes. He clears his throat.

For their heroism during the prosecution of the war against the rebellion, I suggest that Count Asano be elevated to the rank of the Marquis, whilst General Yamagata be made a baron. Further, I suggest that the honourable Interior Minister, Count Yamamoto, who has conducted himself with esteem and competence in his office, be admitted to this admirable body as its latest member.

((Private: Jiyudo))

Name:
1. Jiyudo
2. National(ist) Party
3. Taiyo no To
4. Centre Party

-Sakamoto Ryoma

((Private - Jiyudo))

I agree with the honorable Count Chosokame. Since only the Party Leader is elected (the Deputy Leader is appointed by the Party Leader) then I say we begin the nomination process now. Also, in the future I suggest we hold leadership elections immediately after the results of Diet election (unless we are in government, then there is no need for new leadership) instead of our usual election of the leader right before the election. This would allow time for a new leader to consider their deputy leader and for the new leader to prove themselves by showing their leadership in the Diet.

Therefore, because of the absence of a party leader and a deputy leader, I declare nominations for Jiyudo Party Leader to be open. In respect to present traditions and the current recess session of the Diet I suggest we give a considerable amount of time for nominations. ((Nomination Period for Party Leader is open and ends in 92 hours due to the Thanksgiving hiatus and because most players will likely be fairly busy.))

I hereby nominate myself, Lord Mori Takachika, as Party Leader. My experience as Daijo-Daijin and member of the PC is very useful. Most importantly as drafter of the Constitution and a man who attempted to mediate relations between our former party leaders makes me uniquely suited to the position.

((Private-jiyudo))
I propose myself as party leader
My father was a founding member of the party, one of the original three, he served Japan honourably In a unique way.
I was prepared to put my life on the line for my beliefs.
By organising a legal protest where I was shot at and wounded by one of Dates Henchmen!

((Private Jiyudo))

I nominate myself as party leader.
My father was a respected war hero and a politician and was among the founders of the party. I have leadership experience from when my father was leader of the Loyalist Association and a member of the Freedom Party. Both of us participated in the drafting of the Constitution, where we proposed and wrote several clauses into the constitution itself during the convention. I believe I am most qualified for this position because (1) I have the experience neccessary to deal with Date and the NLP and (2) as a member of the respected Sakamoto family the people of Japan will trust me to be their leader.

Please vote Sakamoto.

~Sakamoto Ryoma

*Lord Satake sits and calmly sips his tea*

"Oh?" He briefly mentions to his fiery nephew, while reading the news, "It seems that Lord Mori does not know when to breathe a sigh of relief and retire from politicking."

"Isn't it a good thing for such a man to rise to the leadership of such an important party?" The youth replied.

"Perhaps, but the days of the Shogunate are long behind us. There is always a sad time for ancient pages to turn to dust and blow away, child."

((We are back into it boys!))

Player Actions Needed: Privy Council please vote on elevating Asano Hisanori to the rank of Marquis, elevating Yamagata Michitsura to the rank of Baron, and putting Yamamoto Gonnohyoe on the Privy Council as a count.

Elevate Asano Hisanori to Marquis: Yes/No/Abstain
Elevate Yamagata Michitsura to Baron: Yes/No/Abstain
Put Count Yamamoto Gonnohyoe on the Privy Council: Yes/No/Abstain

[Nobility Rank]

Since this is only a PC vote, voting shall end tomorrow night at 9:00 PM EST or Monday at 1:00 AM GMT

((What about Dadarian's proposal?))

((Private - Jiyudo))

The vote on the party name is finished. We shall keep the party name as Jiyudo.

Nominations for Party Leader has closed. The Party Leadership elections are opened. ((They will close in 48 hours)). Remember to bold your vote.

Sample Ballot:

1. Sakamoto ((Zenphoneix))
2. Chosokame ((Luftwater))
3. Mori ((Qwerty7))

Last edited:
Elevate Asano Hisanori to Marquis: Yes
Elevate Yamagata Michitsura to Baron: Yes
Put Count Yamamoto Gonnohyoe on the Privy Council: Yes

[Prince]

~ Field Marshal Prince Date Munenari, President of the Privy Council, etc.

Elevate Asano Hisanori to Marquis: Abstain
Elevate Yamagata Michitsura to Baron: No
Put Count Yamamoto Gonnohyoe on the Privy Council: No

[Marquis]

Kusaribe Zaibatsu activity 1888.

Chubu, Expand:
Regular Clothes 4 -¥12.28k
Fabric -¥7.31k

Kansai, Expand:
Cement 6 -¥2.59k

Kanto, Expand:
Liquor 5 -¥9.58k

Kyushu, Expand:
Amunition 4 -¥9.26k

Investments in The Glass Co. for:
Kanto, Expand:
Glass 4 -¥6.62k

Kyushu, Expand:
Glass 2 -¥6.62k

-¥6.62k Investment for each Kirizai and Kusaribe Zaibatsu ((@Scrapknight you good with expanding our joint owned factories?))

Investments in Katana Armaments for:
Kyushu, Expand
Steamers -¥27.09k

-¥13.55k for each Kishiwada and Kusaribe Zaibatsu

Total: -¥61190
Leaving: ¥908966