• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Reform of Health-Care Act***: Abstain
Franchise Reform of 1886*: No
New Military Discipline Act: Yes
Imperial Decree #43: Yes

[Politician]
[Masters of the Shogunate, +3VP]

I must vote against the Franchise Reform Bill, as I find the mere principle of granting the wealthy more representation in a system in which all Japanese have the right to a vote as an unsavory sight. I would much rather see the proposal of universal suffrage, as it would deliver unto the people the rights that they deserve, without unnecessarily giving the esteemed classes of this nation a disproportionate degree of influence. Perhaps it is my own distaste for the Prussian system at play, but I would much rather see full and complete male suffrage.

Lord Chief Justice Satake Yoshizane

Reform of Health-Care Act***:Yes
Franchise Reform of 1886*:Yes
New Military Discipline Act:Yes

*=Reform
***=Forced Reform to a certain extent

[Politician]
[Conqueror Legacy +3]

((For Privy Council Only)
Make Count Asano Hisanori a member of the PC: Yes
Declare Martial Law: Abstain

[Prince]

((Private @Michaelangelo - Ito Masaki))

((Private letter to Sakamoto Naotari (@zenphoenix)))

I must express my sincerest apologies to you, humble Prince. I did not think my father capable of committing such dastardly acts, and to hear that he attempted to take the life of one of Nippon's greatest heroes distresses me to no end. I was but a child during the Boshin War, but the exploits of Samurai Sakamoto are legendary. I grew up hearing of your exploits done in the name of our illustrious Emperor. I know that my father's actions are unforgivable, but I can only hope that you will not allow his actions to influence your opinion of me and my family.

- Count Ito Masaki of Miyazaki

To the honorable Count Ito Masaki,

I accept your apology respectfully. The man who sent assassins after me was not your father, and the actions that took place were formed in the mind of a madman. That should not affect how we, especially I, should treat and address the rest of your family. What he has done may be unforgivable, but it does not change the fact that you or your family should be blamed for his actions. My opinion of you will be shaped by your actions, not by your father's. Your path is determined by you. Nobody else actions determines it for you. Especially a madman's actions.

I hope we can work together and find more common ground in the future.
~Sakamoto

Last edited:
((vote changed, added vote for imperial decree but everything else is the same))

I'm voting for the Reform of Health-Care Act because no more than every it is time we take care of the sick and wounded. We've just finished fighting a war with a terrible cost and will will continue to fight an uprising. We must take care of the veterans that sacrificed so much and the people at large deserve us starting to pay compensation for all their war time sacrifices.

I'm voting against the Franchise Reform Act of 1886 because it is not a full measure. As it stands The rich man's vote is worth as much as a middle class man's vote, while the poor can't vote. If we implement weighted universal, the rich man's vote is worth more than the middle class man's vote while the poor man's vote is merely a third the worth of a wealthy man. I will not vote to disenfranchise the middle class only to give a third measure to the poor, while I appreciate the intent to make a change.

I'm voting for the New Military Discipline Act, to avoid a creeping or sudden shogunate, we need a strong separation of civilian and military power structure. The sole meeting point of the military and civilian is the Emperor, through his primary organ of governance, the Imperial Diet and who selects the prime minister to exercise administrative power.

I'm voting for Imperial Decree #43. A part from the wisdom of this decree that stems from the emperor's willing it, this stands as another bulwark against tyrannical shogunate-esque military rule. It also serves to separate martial law from that of the suspension of our constitution and elections, compartmentalizing necessary actions for different situations in a clear manor. I trust the emperor that his use of this will be limited to necessity.

Reform of Health-Care Act***:Yes
Franchise Reform of 1886*:No
New Military Discipline Act:Yes

[Politician]
[No Political Bonus]
[No Bonus]

~ Tsuyoshi Tamotsu

Reform of Health-Care Act***: No
Franchise Reform of 1886*: No
New Military Discipline Act: No

[Politician]
[Inherited collection of taxidermy Nanban: +1 Creepiness]

While I see the merit behind Prince Sakamoto's healthcare proposal, and I appreciate the concern that we never see a similar incident caused by poor mental health such as my father experienced, I believe it is too much too soon. A smaller program that could be implemented in easy steps would have my favour, but this is too much for now.

I do not believe it wise to grant those who would rise up against the Emperor the right to vote. I also find it strange that the Opposition mostly opposes this. From what I understand, you have all been advocating reform for years and now the people finally want it and you say no? Should not any reform be enough? Yet instead you all call for even more reform than what is sensible. Either you are all using talk of reform to gain support and have no intention of going ahead of it, or worse you want only radical reform and thus belong amongst the ranks of the Jacobins that revolt against us.

I do not find this Military Discipline Act suitable enough. Some of Nippon's greatest statesmen have served in the armed forces and I see no reason to exclude them. This to me seems like a personal attack on Date to push him out of office.

As for the Imperial Decree, only a fool would oppose the Emperor.

I do not believe it wise to grant those who would rise up against the Emperor the right to vote. I also find it strange that the Opposition mostly opposes this. From what I understand, you have all been advocating reform for years and now the people finally want it and you say no? Should not any reform be enough? Yet instead you all call for even more reform than what is sensible. Either you are all using talk of reform to gain support and have no intention of going ahead of it, or worse you want only radical reform and thus belong amongst the ranks of the Jacobins that revolt against us.

It is not a a matter of seeking any reform whatsoever, but instead of seeking the right sort of reform. It certainly does not matter if one gives the poor man the vote that he deserves, then gives a rich man a greater degree of representation. Perhaps young Lord Ito should come to the realization that not all reform is good reform, and that there are few worldwide examples of such a voting system outside of the Kingdom of Prussia? The sensible reform would be to grant all Japanese people their full and equal vote. The bill that is currently on the floor is no more than an extension of the status quo that grants the illusion of universal male suffrage. It is no more tangible than the illusion that the Japanese people are not infuriated by this current administration, and that is exemplified by nothing to the degree that we clearly see two political parties conveniently joined in opposition to the people's will.

As an aside, while I and many of my fellow members of the Opposition have denounced this rebellion, the supporters of the Date Clique seem to be quite happy to continue blaming the Opposition for its occurrence, rather than accepting that they are themselves to blame, as an institution, and that it was their poor planning and contextualization that has led Japan to breed an atmosphere in which the people believe that the only way to achieve change is by forcing the hand of government through the use of arms. It is because of this that we must come to terms with a simple fact, and that is that the Jacobins are not wrong on a raw, emotional level, but rather that they have misdirected their mistrust and rage at the institutions of this government that has failed to represent them on many occasions. They have misdirected this anger at the status quo into a hatred of the Emperor and a willingness to use force to achieve their ends. It is because of this that the Jacobins are a menace and a threat, not because of their political beliefs- the political beliefs that, I am sure, are shared by many less militant and less parricidal Japanese people. That is, until the government that you so wholeheartedly support has forced even more of those people to the verge of outright rebellion.

I'd like to reply to Count Ito Masaki statements in regard to the bills on the floor today.

Firstly I'll say that I'm deeply sorry for any pain you feel in regards to the situation with your father.

While I see the merit behind Prince Sakamoto's healthcare proposal, and I appreciate the concern that we never see a similar incident caused by poor mental health such as my father experienced, I believe it is too much too soon. A smaller program that could be implemented in easy steps would have my favour, but this is too much for now.

On ward from that, in regards to the health care proposal, while it will most definitely include provision for mental health, the primary focus of this bill is ensuring that our veterans of the Great Asian War have their health taken care of in their entirely, with the added benefit of covering the general population in a system no effective then the current non-system we have today. However I strongly object to the idea that this is too much to fast.

Going to war as long as the Date clique did, losing as many lives as the Date clique did and destabilizing the country as the Date clique did, obviously wasn't "too much too fast'.

I can't imagine how health care would cost more than that, but I can imagine it could be a lot more beneficial to us all.

Lord Chief Justice Satake Yoshizane of the Freedom Party covered much of this before hand, but I feel a need to point somethings out particularly insulting.

We wish to give the common Japanese subject a vote equal to that of a rich man. This right here represents the elitism and the arrogance of the Date clique. For one, you fear that all of the poor are those who would rise against the empire, you make the vast majority of our nation your enemy. We're giving it to the people who bled and died for the Date's wars and continue to bleed and die to fight Date's rebellions.

You conflate yourself with the Emperor, they are rising up against you before all else. You have just recently run a foul of the emperors will in fact Date continues to attempt push the PC to "advise" what the Emperor has explicitly rejected. To suggest your policies are the emperors polices is arrogant at the very least.

I do not find this Military Discipline Act suitable enough. Some of Nippon's greatest statesmen have served in the armed forces and I see no reason to exclude them. This to me seems like a personal attack on Date to push him out of office.

I find this Act entirely suitable, while it is true much political leadership has come from soldiers it has not always been for the better. Those military men who are righteous enough to lead properly will have no difficult giving up their post to be a full time civilian leader. For those of whom war of the most importance, the them remain in the forces. We must no longer allow quasi-shoguns into government.

~ Tsuyoshi Tamotsu

It is not a a matter of seeking any reform whatsoever, but instead of seeking the right sort of reform. It certainly does not matter if one gives the poor man the vote that he deserves, then gives a rich man a greater degree of representation. Perhaps young Lord Ito should come to the realization that not all reform is good reform, and that there are few worldwide examples of such a voting system outside of the Kingdom of Prussia? The sensible reform would be to grant all Japanese people their full and equal vote. The bill that is currently on the floor is no more than an extension of the status quo that grants the illusion of universal male suffrage. It is no more tangible than the illusion that the Japanese people are not infuriated by this current administration, and that is exemplified by nothing to the degree that we clearly see two political parties conveniently joined in opposition to the people's will.

As an aside, while I and many of my fellow members of the Opposition have denounced this rebellion, the supporters of the Date Clique seem to be quite happy to continue blaming the Opposition for its occurrence, rather than accepting that they are themselves to blame, as an institution, and that it was their poor planning and contextualization that has led Japan to breed an atmosphere in which the people believe that the only way to achieve change is by forcing the hand of government through the use of arms. It is because of this that we must come to terms with a simple fact, and that is that the Jacobins are not wrong on a raw, emotional level, but rather that they have misdirected their mistrust and rage at the institutions of this government that has failed to represent them on many occasions. They have misdirected this anger at the status quo into a hatred of the Emperor and a willingness to use force to achieve their ends. It is because of this that the Jacobins are a menace and a threat, not because of their political beliefs- the political beliefs that, I am sure, are shared by many less militant and less parricidal Japanese people. That is, until the government that you so wholeheartedly support has forced even more of those people to the verge of outright rebellion.

Perhaps this franchise reform is not the ideal, especially as viewed by those of the lower class, but wouldn't it be better to take a step towards your intended goal rather than to jump headlong into it? Nippon has seen too much dramatic upheaval. Gradual reform is by far more acceptable. If you truly wish to see universal suffrage, why not support this measure, see how the lower classes react to the franchise, however limited their votes would be, and then push forward further towards your intended goal? There is no shame in doing things in steps rather than one giant leap. I imagine the lower classes would be happier with any vote, no matter how insignificant, than none at all.

Perhaps this franchise reform is not the ideal, especially as viewed by those of the lower class, but wouldn't it be better to take a step towards your intended goal rather than to jump headlong into it? Nippon has seen too much dramatic upheaval. Gradual reform is by far more acceptable. If you truly wish to see universal suffrage, why not support this measure, see how the lower classes react to the franchise, however limited their votes would be, and then push forward further towards your intended goal? There is no shame in doing things in steps rather than one giant leap. I imagine the lower classes would be happier with any vote, no matter how insignificant, than none at all.

No, it would not be waste to have a third measure change. A Prussian voting system's only practical effect would only serve to strengthen the vote of the rich. As for the dramatic upheaval, among His clique there was no worry about "dramatic upheaval", though unrest began the moment war was declared. Also, If gradual reform is so acceptable to you, why didn't you vote for it? Or at least abstain?

You see, if friction against third measure reform is going to be a a strong as full measure reform, there is no reason to waste time and energy with a third measure, only to have to do the same work twice to finish the reforms later. So instead, we vote this down now and come again after the next elections. There is more wisdom in the lower classes then you're willing to give them, they will not be fooled by flowers.

~ Tsuyoshi Tamotsu

No, it would not be waste to have a third measure change. A Prussian voting system's only practical effect would only serve to strengthen the vote of the rich. As for the dramatic upheaval, among His clique there was no worry about "dramatic upheaval", though unrest began the moment war was declared. Also, If gradual reform is so acceptable to you, why didn't you vote for it? Or at least abstain?

You see, if friction against third measure reform is going to be a a strong as full measure reform, there is no reason to waste time and energy with a third measure, only to have to do the same work twice to finish the reforms later. So instead, we vote this down now and come again after the next elections. There is more wisdom in the lower classes then you're willing to give them, they will not be fooled by flowers.

~ Tsuyoshi Tamotsu

I voted against it because I don't believe we should set a precedent that we start passing reforms when a rebellion occurs. That only encourages people to seek violence as a means of achieving their political goals. I would consider voting for it if we were not in a state of open rebellion. I was trying to understand why those who do support franchise reform do not favour it. And from what I understand, most of the population at the moment favours this reform over universal suffrage, just as they would favour a smaller form of the healthcare reform rather than the massive one being proposed. Not everyone is a reform-happy liberal and wants these changes, and even those that do tend to favour gradual reform. We must account for everyone. I suspect that jumping straight to universal suffrage would cause more unrest than gradually altering the franchise.

Make Count Asano Hisanori a member of the PC: Abstain
Declare Martial Law: Yes

[Marquis]