Under One Rule Origin *Spoilers!*

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

15JTaylor

First Lieutenant
48 Badges
Dec 3, 2016
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
I actually enjoy the Under One Rule origin. But i wanted to now if anyone has any tips. I went through the imperial route and a civil war occurred. I did nothing to control the egalitarian faction.

Then I started a new game to see if I could affect the outcome. So I picked up a conformists trait, then the One Vision ascension perk to buff my governing ethics attraction, and finally promoted both of my governing ethics and suppressed my egalitarian faction. But the civil war occurred yet again. Even though egalitarian support was under 10%. Does anyone know of any way to bypass the civil war while going imperial, or is it just hardcoded to happen, Or, is there at least a way to decrease the strength of the rebels?

I think civil war always happens with the imperial route, why they give you the warning. It's like ah... skyrim, where it acts like you have agency and can influence the outcome, but the only real choice is if you go the imperial or dictatorship routes. Then there is another fork where you decide to make your leader immortal or not.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I think civil war always happens with the imperial route, why they give you the warning. It's like ah... skyrim, where it acts like you have agency and can influence the outcome, but the only real choice is if you go the imperial or dictatorship routes. Then there is another fork where you decide to make your leader immortal or not.
I bit disappointing. I was hoping they made ways to affect it by either limiting egalitarian support or maybe high stability.

• 8Like
Reactions:
What really annoyed me was the democratic tendencies showing up on 80% of my planets with precisely 0 egalitarian pops in my empire.
There was litterally 0% egalitarians in my empire, yet 80% of the empire rises in democratic rebellion?

While the flavour of the origin is cool I absolutely loathe that we have 0 agency.
Regardless of choices in government and living standards, you get the same narrative.

Game dev: "YOU BE EVIL TYRANT! SOMEONE MUST HATE YOU!"
Me: "Actually, my most displeased pop is at 85% happiness and social welfare."
Game dev: "BUT YOU BE EMPIRE AND EVIL FOR MEME REASONS."
Me: "Actually I'm a benevolent ruler, trying to better the life of my subjects, Heck I'm not even authoritarian."
Game dev: "HAVE NONSENSICAL CIVIL WAR!"
Me: "Oh great, another "narrative" that gives jack shit about the actual situation of the game."

Mechanically the ruler and the events surrounding cementing rulership is cool enough.
It's just a shame the story is a standardised shitshow regardless of choices taken underway.

• 19Like
  • 6Haha
  • 1Love
Reactions:
What really annoyed me was the democratic tendencies showing up on 80% of my planets with precisely 0 egalitarian pops in my empire.
There was litterally 0% egalitarians in my empire, yet 80% of the empire rises in democratic rebellion?

While the flavour of the origin is cool I absolutely loathe that we have 0 agency.
Regardless of choices in government and living standards, you get the same narrative.

Me: "Actually I'm a benevolent ruler, trying to better the life of my subjects, Heck I'm not even authoritarian."
Me: "Oh great, another "narrative" that gives jack shit about the actual situation of the game."

Mechanically the ruler and the events surrounding cementing rulership is cool enough.
It's just a shame the story is a standardised shitshow regardless of choices taken underway.
This is because this dlc was rushed and untested. There is also a lot of content that would improve this origin disabled in the game files, since it wasnt finished

• 1Like
Reactions:
I bit disappointing. I was hoping they made ways to affect it by either limiting egalitarian support or maybe high stability.
Democratic Tendencies should not appear on planets with 0 egalitarian pops, so that should decrease the rebel strength. If they do, please report it :)

But the event will always fire, with the outcome based on your take on the issue and how the empire functions. If you are fairly good with your people, they should propose mediocre changes (and turn the empire to dictatorial always, which is actually a bug - it should depend on how bad you were towards them, if you treated people fairly then they should leave you as an Imperial even when you accept their demands).

Reactions:
Democratic Tendencies should not appear on planets with 0 egalitarian pops, so that should decrease the rebel strength. If they do, please report it :)

But the event will always fire, with the outcome based on your take on the issue and how the empire functions. If you are fairly good with your people, they should propose mediocre changes (and turn the empire to dictatorial always, which is actually a bug - it should depend on how bad you were towards them, if you treated people fairly then they should leave you as an Imperial even when you accept their demands).
Ah, so it's bugs, then.

Ah, so it's bugs, then.
Well, it depends on which part. The event will always fire up. If you have 0 egalitarians it will fire up too, but the modifier should be only on one planet.
Though, by getting added to the planet, it will make some egalitarians.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Well, it depends on which part. The event will always fire up. If you have 0 egalitarians it will fire up too, but the modifier should be only on one planet.
85% happiness floor.
Social wellfare for all.

0 egalitarian pops in the entire empire when the civil war event fires.
80% of planets have the modifier, so 80% of the empire rebels.

It seems the modifier gets thrown around completely arbitrarily, and even reindoctrinating the population does not help.
It would be borderline unplayable, if not for the AI's inability to redevelop planets fast enough.

85% happiness floor.
Social wellfare for all.

0 egalitarian pops in the entire empire
How did you manage this? Social welfare increases Egalitarian attraction.

If the origin simply must have a civil war I hope the devs write alternate text. If there are zero egalitarians, or virtually zero, in the society it makes no sense for a civil war based around egalitarian to start. But other authoritarian factions? Or an oligarchic faction? That still would make sense.

Reactions:
How did you manage this? Social welfare increases Egalitarian attraction.
Massive materialist faction attraction from cybernetics.
Also some ethics attraction modifiers here and there.

Right, it's just that I've had no egalitarians on planets with the egalitarian modifier rebel... a lot of them, on multiple playthrus... so it seems that part isn't functioning.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Yeah, i was a benevolent dictator and managed to stay as an emperor by mildly appeasing them at the end of it.
That being said, your leader having to stay in the Golden Throne even if they managed to somehow become immortal was fairly disappointing.

• 6Like
Reactions:

First of all lol. But if you are proclaiming yourself Emperor then you're authoritarian.

First of all lol. But if you are proclaiming yourself Emperor then you're authoritarian.
Not by the definition of the game mechanics.

You can very easily be an empire without the authoritarian ethic.
You just can't be egalitarian.

Reactions:
To be

So would Caesar. Or Genghis Khan. Or Stalin. Or that other guy. You know the one.

Everybody's position seems moderate to themselves.
You say that, but it really isn't accurate at all. All three of the people you just mentioned were explicitly in favor of concentratrd authoritarian power. Maybe Stalin was less honest, but certainly Caesar and Gengis Khan would 100% agree. They were explicitly authoritarian, and acted like it. Being authoritarian while pretending otherwise is actually shockingly abnormal historical speaking. It's only a very recent phenomenon. You can't project modern sensibilities into the past that way. They did not see authoritarian power as bad, and therefore felt no need to disguise or apologize for it. Now, maybe you could make the case Napoleon did not live up to his professed ideals. However, unlike many others he took office under the auspices of "Defender of the Revolution." The Revolution being explicitly egalitarian, and Napoleon being explicitly and in practice meritocratic. If you think that Napoleon was authoritarian you would have to examine him on his specific individual merits. It is far from sufficient to blithely lump him in with all these other rulers without first establishing that the conflation is appropriate, maybe it is but you have not established it. While it may be true that everyone would like to think of themselves as being "good," or at least justified in their evil, it is definitely NOT true that everyone defines good in the same way. A lot of people in history explicitly define republics as bad. Almost everyone defines democracies as bad. The reverse is much less common in terms of time if not in terms of numbers of individuals.

Reactions:
Napoleon rose to power through the republic, but after he step by step cemented control over the state, he went all in as autocrat.

Disassembled both the low (by force) and the high council, crowned emperor, getting an heir to inherit the throne, drafting every man able to hold a pitchfork, massive nepotism... If that is not Authoritarian then what is.

Reactions: