• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Italian Front is weak! But the NATO Blockade (if I can call it that in the North Sea) has you locked up in the north and in the Baltic.

On the Turkish front, NATO is really pathetic. One army is not going to hold back 2 armies and a fleet all by itself for long.

Weak as the Italian front is, I have to be careful since I'm facing 2 opponents: NATO and the Yugoslavians. Combined, they have 3 armies and 2 fleets against my 4 armies in the Balkans. I consider the armies in Munich and Bohemia part of the German front, not the Balkan front.

With only 2 armies on the front line in the German front, I'd have to take uncomfortable chances to make progress in Germany. Time will tell if NATO gets caught between a rock (me) and a hard place (the French). I'm certainly wondering what the French will do next.

In the Baltic, I'm a little outgunned since my 3 fleets face 5 fleets and 1 army between NATO and the Swedes. It would have been worse if NATO had left the Swedes in control of Norway.

Fall 1971 Results

Fall 1971 Results

I forgot to save the screen shot showing my plans for the Fall 1971 turn so I'll show/discuss the results.

As negotiated, I helped the Snake capture Denmark from Sweden (support from Kiel); the Snake kept Denmark's defending fleet from retreating to the North Sea. Since I knew the Snake's plans for Denmark, I moved into Finland.

The NATO Bear unsuccessfully attacked Munich from the Ruhr and Burgundy, a bad move since it ignored the French Lion!!!

The Lion occupied Belgium, Marseilles, and Portugal without fighting as the Spanish and Yugoslavian armies moved around. The game of musical chairs in Gascony, Marseilles and Spain left the Spanish Tiger without a supply center. Good bye, Tiger; you defeated yourself! Why did you get adventurous before I could come to your support, ally?

I attacked Trieste; the Bear made sure the Yugoslavian army in Trieste couldn't retreat.

The outnumbered defenders of Constantinople retreated to Symrna when I attacked from the Black Sea and Ankara.

Oh this is a close matchup! Both Nato and the Warsaw have the same number of bases, but obviously you have the momentum, so keep it up!

In 1971, it was a close matchup. Based on the color differences between provinces and occupying units, 1972 will be different. :D

Last edited:
1971 Builds

Fall 1971 Builds

The NATO Bear and I have swapped positions; I'm #1 (17 supply centers, 10 armies, 6 fleets) and he's #2 (11 supply centers, 6 fleets, 5 armies). The French Lion is #3 (5 supply centers, 4 armies, 1 fleet); the Yugoslavian Monkey and Swedish Snake are in last place with 2 supply centers each. Will the Monkey and Snake last until 1973?

The French Lion built 2 armies; I think he plans to chew on the NATO Bear and swallow the Yugoslavian Monkey's army in Spain.

I added fleets in Livonia and Sevastopol to increase pressure on the Swedish and Turkish fronts. I could have added an army but didn't know where to put it.

The Bear's decision to disband the army in Tyrolia will help me a lot next year. :rofl: He needs troops to defend Italy!!! Why didn't he disband at least one of the armies in England? :confused: They are nowhere near the front and not likely to get anywhere useful next year.

Last edited:
Very Good progress! The Italian Front is wide open!

Spring 1972 Plans

Spring 1972 Plans

I'm increasing the pressure on the Swedish Snake while I help him defend Denmark. Because of last year's events, the NATO Bear can't make progress in Germany.

Moving to Tyrolia gives me a great chance to capture Venice this year. I could have invaded it now but overlooked that option. :(

If the Bear wants to capture Greece, he can. Then, I'll take it away from him instead of the Monkey. I'm taking over Turkey and preparing to move into the Med.

To speed up this report a little, I could stop showing my plans unless I'm concerned about where someone might launch a successful offensive. Would you like that?

Spring 1972 Results

Spring 1972 Results

The NATO Bear occupied Sweden; I'll make sure he loses it in the fall. ;) Comagoosie, who is Johan and why is he in a Swedish prison? :confused: With no fleets between the British Isles and Europe, the Bear's armies in England are really out of the war!

The Bear also drove the French Lion out of Belgium to Picardy. How will the Lion counterattack? I would hate to be the Bear!!!

As anticipated, the French Lion ate the Yugoslavian Monkey's army in Spain -- balancing the loss of Belgium.

The Bear didn't attack Greece but retreated towards Italy. He still can't defend Venice from my fall attack since my 2 armies can overcome his Adriatic fleet.

Haha, Johan is the forum god, and if you ever seen him, what he says is divine. He is the top Paradox forumer/programmer/all around cool guy. Currently he is the most active in the HOI3 forum ;)

Anyways, his 'prision' is that he is working for the swedish government, change that!!

Forwards! Forward until you can't go forward any longer. I can smell a Soviet victory...

historically speaking, 7 more years until "Russians in Afghanistan." I guess today it's "Russians in Western Europe!"

Fall 1972 Plans

Fall 1972 Plans

I have big plans for Scandinavia (capturing Sweden and Denmark with a diversionary attack on Norway). I'll stand firm in Germany and capture Venice and Greece (Good bye, Monkey). It's also time to move more fleets into the Eastern Med.

Fall 1972 Results

Fall 1972 Results

The defeated Swedish army in Denmark was disbanded. The NATO Bear's fleet in Sweden retreated to the Baltic (see insert), a good reason I should not have attacked Denmark from the Baltic. Both NATO and Sweden tried to move fleets into the North Sea; the resulting stand off kept me out of Norway.

The Bear regained control of Belgium from the French Lion. This will prevent the Lion from building a new unit this year.

I captured Venice from the Bear, something I don't think I would have been able to do if he had kept his army in Tyrolia last year. The Bear continues his slide out of first place.

Anticipating my attack, the Yugoslavs moved into Albania before I forced them out of Greece. Which unit will NATO disband this year?

Last edited:
1972 Builds

1972 Builds

The Swedish Snake and Yugoslavian Monkey joined the Spanish Tiger and Tunisian Dragon in POW camps (the first leaders I've captured).

The NATO Bear disbanded the army in Edinburgh. I added fleets in Livonia and Sevastopol with an army in Warsaw.

Victory is sure close, I can almost taste it! :p :D ;)

Spring 1973 Plans

Spring 1973 Plans

I'm standing pat in St. Petersburg to ensure a north coast navy is there in the fall.

I must drive the NATO Bear out of the Baltic even if he recaptures Denmark, Kiel or Sweden briefly. I would not mind having a navy in the Skagerrak or an army in Holland. Moving my army in Warsaw to Prussia ensures the Bear can't retreat his outnumbered navy (4-1) to Prussia.

I'll occupy undefended Rome; I'd hate to see the Bear reinforce the southern front.

The army in Ankara is headed towards northern Italy; my southern navies are moving into the Med. The army in Symrna may be useful in Tunis or southern Italy.

I'm not telling...

Can't be too many more turns now, can it? :D
but you've seen more than 1/2 of my screen shots and less than 2/3 of them.