• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

McCaber

Recruit
50 Badges
Jan 9, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Magicka 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
So the intro cinematics play just fine, but when it ends I get a flickering black screen that shows where the mouse has been and nothing else like so. Validating the Steam files didn't work, nor did setting the compatibility to Windows XP/256 colors or deleting and reinstalling it.

Any tips here to get it to work, or am I just out $2 I spent on it?

try this, only you'll want to look for the ck entry not the hoi2 one

This would be in your registry ofc and you would add the entry to force direct draw emulation and instead of "E:\\Games\\Hoi2\\Hoi2.exe" you would be pointing at the ck1 exe

Code:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers]
"E:\\Games\\Hoi2\\Hoi2.exe"="$ DWM8And16BitMitigation WINXPSP3 Layer_ForceDirectDrawEmulation"

So after editing the registry as suggested, the intro cinematics display as normal but I get an error that says,

cDPIpDY.png

And hitting Ignore on that leads to,

JUmPgE2.png

From which any response closes the game.

try renaming the /movie folder to /oldmovie so the game skips the movie to see if that helps

I checked the log files related to the application, and found:

1. Request to disable the Desktop Window Manager was made by process (Crusader Kings) - 2/12/2015 10:55:35 PM

2. The Desktop Window Manager was unable to start because composition was disabled by a running application - 2/12/2015 10:55:35 PM

3. The Desktop Window Manager was unable to start because of an insufficient display mode color depth - 2/12/2015 10:55:58 PM

4. A request to disable the Desktop Window Manager was made by process (Crusader Kings) - 2/12/2015 10:56:00 PM

5. The Desktop Window Manager was unable to start because composition was disabled by a running application - 2/12/2015 10:56:00 PM

Right-click on ck.exe (or ckgame.exe, not 100% sure what it's called) and go to properties, compatibility. What's set in there? Best is probably to have Run As Admin and Disable Desktop composition on, everything else off.

Ok, turning off XP compatibility mode was what weirdly did the trick. But considering it didn't work at first install I have no idea what setting changed between then and now.

Ok, turning off XP compatibility mode was what weirdly did the trick. But considering it didn't work at first install I have no idea what setting changed between then and now.

But you can play the game now right?

Well, it runs just fine. So far I would hesitate to call what I'm doing "playing", though. I've really just been locking horns with the UI trying to get a handle on how to do things in this game.

Not to revive something that has died, but I am having the same issue, and was wondering what else the issue could be? I followed the steps above, and turning compatibility on and off did nothing, and disabling desktop composition/admin on did nothing either...

I am on 64 bit windows 7, 16 gigs of ram, 970 gtx

Tried re-installing into just C:\Games instead of regular 64 bit program files and it changed nothing.

Last edited: