• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(24421)

Recruit
Jan 7, 2004
I'm trying to get a game going with a friend, but neither of us are able to join the game once the other hosts it. We get the same error - "No game found at IP###"

We are both running HOI1.05 on Windows 98SE and are connecting via DSL (neither has a static IP). We've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game and patch, but that didn't work either. Any suggestions.

I will move you over to the experts in the MP forum.

In the mean time,
Try this:
Castellon said:
(solution provided by totalbasscase)

I have cracked the nut of making HoI work on Valkyrienet and hosting IP games. This is a reference on how to solve problems with your router's firewall.

Alright, the first step is to open your router's administration utility.

Go into your web browser and type in the IP address of your router. This should be listed in its manual, but usually it will be http://192.168.0.1/

Log in using whatever the default username/password is (usually admin/NO PASSWORD)

Now navigate the utility till you get to the status page.

Here you're looking for one thing: YOUR COMPUTER's Local IP. This will most likely be 192.168.0.SOMETHING. Make a note of what the something is and continue to the router's firewall options.

Here you want to make two seperate entries. The first will allow all traffic from the internet on TCP ports 23000-24000 to navigate the firewall, and then redirect it to your computer. The options should read:

Enabled
Allow
Source: WAN
IP Range: */* (For all ip addresses)
Destination: LAN
IP Range: YOUR LOCAL IP ADDRESS/(leave this part blank)
Protocol: TCP
Port range: 2300-2400
Schedule: Always

Do this again but change the port range to 47624, and you'll be set. Save the settings and have fun with HoI or EU2 (This works for both.)

The alternate optioon is to just throw your firewall wide open and take all traffic on any TCP ports and redirect it. This shouldnt be necessary and DOES leave your computer very vulnerable, but if you have a software firewall that is more easily configurable then this shouldn't be a problem. Note that in theory this is a Demilitarized Zone, but I found that activating my router's DMZ didn't help with HoI.

Here are the settings:

Enabled
Allow
Source: WAN
IP Range: *////* (For all ip addresses)
Destination: LAN
IP Range: YOUR LOCAL IP ADDRESS////(leave this part blank)
Protocol: TCP
Port range: *////* (All ports)
Schedule: Always

Again, if you use that last part, PLEASE use a software firewall. I don't want anyone here getting hacked =P

muljdm1 said:
I'm trying to get a game going with a friend, but neither of us are able to join the game once the other hosts it. We get the same error - "No game found at IP###"

We are both running HOI1.05 on Windows 98SE and are connecting via DSL (neither has a static IP). We've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game and patch, but that didn't work either. Any suggestions.

I have the same problem :(

We both tried the posted suggestion, but neither of us can access our routers. We both have DSL connection through the same company/ISP. I have an internal Modem and have successfully played MP games in the past. He has an external modem and has never connected to a MP game with his current configuration. Any other fixes?

ahhhh windows 98....i once spent 12 hours trying to link 1 x win98 pc to 1 x win2000 pc and 1 x winxp pc........whilst the win2000 pc could link to the winxp pc....win98 just didnt link up to the other two.....maybe it was jealous. :rofl:

on a more serious note, how do i configure my Mcafee software firewall to play Hoi and all things game related? right now i throw open my firewall to accept all traffic whenever im gaming...which makes me very uncomfortable........ :confused:

I have no idea how to configure McAfee software firewall. I use the free ZoneAlarm instead. With ZoneAlarm, it's enough to hit the add button next to the list of approved apps, direct the file browser to my copy of EU2 or HOI and select ok. Put a couple of green checkmarks for both client and server authorisation, and it's all set.

to muljdm1:

Accessing your modem/router highly depends on brand/model. The usual method is to first figure out how your TCP/IP protocol is configured. To do that, open up a command box, and type IPCONFIG /ALL.

That should produce a list of information regarding your current TCP/IP settings. Look for the IP number that is listed as default gateway. If that number starts with 10. or 192.168., then your modem is indeed also a router, and you need to set it up.

For most brands, you can access the configuration by opening up a browser (Internet Explorer would do nicely), and type the IP number you found as default gateway in the address bar. If your router allows configuring through a web browser, it should respond. If not, then it probably either has a specific configuration application, or a telnet interface. Check the manual that came with your modem/router for the details.

What needs to be setup, as Castellon already quoted, is port forwarding. You actually only need to setup two ports, 2300 and 47624. Both must be set to forward to the IP number of your PC, which can also be seen with IPCONFIG. Again, it depends on the brand and model of your modem/router if, and how, port forwarding is configured. If it is not possible to setup forwarding for individual ports, try looking for a default server setting. If that is available, again, specify the IP number of your PC. However, install and activate a software firewall (like ZoneAlarm) on your PC first if you do this, as it will make your PC completely visible for anyone with access to the internet.

Jan Peter

Well, after trying what you said, I still can't play Hoi2 via multiplayer. The problem is that I don't know neither what to put in each blank case nor how to create a port range. I have a router wireless, SpeedTouch 580i, and that's what my browser shows me when trying to configurate my ports:

puertos2.JPG

Can anyone help me please?

Last edited:
jpd said:
I have no idea how to configure McAfee software firewall. I use the free ZoneAlarm instead. With ZoneAlarm, it's enough to hit the add button next to the list of approved apps, direct the file browser to my copy of EU2 or HOI and select ok. Put a couple of green checkmarks for both client and server authorisation, and it's all set.

to muljdm1:

Accessing your modem/router highly depends on brand/model. The usual method is to first figure out how your TCP/IP protocol is configured. To do that, open up a command box, and type IPCONFIG /ALL.

That should produce a list of information regarding your current TCP/IP settings. Look for the IP number that is listed as default gateway. If that number starts with 10. or 192.168., then your modem is indeed also a router, and you need to set it up.

For most brands, you can access the configuration by opening up a browser (Internet Explorer would do nicely), and type the IP number you found as default gateway in the address bar. If your router allows configuring through a web browser, it should respond. If not, then it probably either has a specific configuration application, or a telnet interface. Check the manual that came with your modem/router for the details.

What needs to be setup, as Castellon already quoted, is port forwarding. You actually only need to setup two ports, 2300 and 47624. Both must be set to forward to the IP number of your PC, which can also be seen with IPCONFIG. Again, it depends on the brand and model of your modem/router if, and how, port forwarding is configured. If it is not possible to setup forwarding for individual ports, try looking for a default server setting. If that is available, again, specify the IP number of your PC. However, install and activate a software firewall (like ZoneAlarm) on your PC first if you do this, as it will make your PC completely visible for anyone with access to the internet.

Jan Peter

In Valen's name, why is HOI so twitchy when it comes to playing MP games? Even ValkyrieNet is highly unreliable.

Opening holes/ports in your firewall is the only thing I can recommend. This is covered by the lengthy "Router Config - How to make it work" thread. Bear in mind that this RARELY refers to your ZoneAlarm or McAfee firewall. Most ISPs run system-wide firewalls that your average user cannot see, so manually opening holes in the firewall is the only alternative.

From memory you need to open ports 2400, 28000, and 47624, as noted below:

Name: Hearts of Iron <or HoI, or whatever>
Trigger Port: 47624 - <nothing in second field on this line>
Trigger Type: Both
Public Port: 2300-2400,28800-29000
Public Type: Both

Often, these ports can be accessed in your modem's NAT section. Don't ask me what it means - but think of it in terms of manipulating & refining your video card driver for better performance. Your modem has drivers too, & you need to tell your modem to accept communications from other people's computers while playing online.

Sorry to be so vague. It really is a hit & miss affair. For instance, I can join MP HOI games (now), but I still can't host.

Live long & prosper.

Lozza12