• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

DonRedhorse

Recruit
13 Badges
Apr 23, 2019
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Surviving Mars
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
Just installed a new mac Catalina and try to install Cities: Skylines.

Installation works, but than it want's to have an update and that fails with a disk write error.

I tried on 3 different NEW disks and other games incl Surviving Mars work.

Steam Support is no help at all as they only supply links to their FAQ and say I need local support to fix my hardware.

Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Hi, I found the problem and I'm working on a solution but maybe you could also take a look at it from the Paradox Site.

Steam just opens up to many files in Catalina, I can work around that but in the end, I still have some errors creeping up when I launch Cities.

Well I would include a link to the solution but I can't Why are github links blocked?

For users with fewer than 6 posts ALL links are blocked, as an antispam measure.

But we don't need to see github links. Steam in general and this game in particular run just fine on MacOS Catalina. What exact error are you getting now please? Do you see the launcher, or not?

would have been easier though as I did write everything down there.

So what I now see in the launcher that it is complaining about to not have access to the game directory. (this is not the original issue as I tracked that with opensnoop) again explained in my github post.

The game itself comes up with an error occurred, screenshot in the github post. But I just attach them here
Cities_Skylines_error.png
Citi_Skylines Access To GameDir error.png

This is after updating Cities: Skylines, so the question now is why.

I have not seen that first error before. Please run a Steam Verify operation against the game, see if that finds anything to fix.

For the second one, Is your MacOS User Documents folder on your local disk, or has iCloud grabbed it? If the latter, that's a problem with the launcher at the moment - can you move it back?

If that's not the issue, then it's probably a file access/permissions issue in MacOS. Go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy. Then select the Privacy tab. Scroll down to files and folder in the left column. You’ll see a list of apps and the folders they need access to. Check the box to give access.