• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ProceduralPeasant

Recruit
16 Badges
Jun 25, 2021
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
When I launch EU IV, I get this weir looking black map with green and red stains. The map stays like this even if I launch a game.

I've read several threads on the subject and tried without success all of these solutions:
-> checking the Steam cache
-> update my gpu drivers (I have an AMD Radeon RX580)
-> deleting both the Steam game and my ../Documents/EU IV/... files, then reinstall

Does anyone had the same issue? I'm really tired of it o_O

Last edited:
In the game launcher please set Display mode to Borderless. THEN go here:
And run the x86 and x64 installers there.

IF that doesn't help, Has the game ever run OK on this computer? Or never?

IF NEVER:
Install ALL these Microsoft modules:

(run dxsetup.exe after extracting from this download)

Add EU4.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.

Also if you have installed RivaTuner, RadeonPro, or a gaming VPN app called Evolve, or the MSI Gaming App, or Duet, disable it as it clashes with this game.

IF that doesn't help:
Please do a full **clean** re-install:

- move any valued save games elsewhere
- "uninstall" in Steam-EU4
- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/EU4 AND Documents/Paradox Interactive/EU4 folders
- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.
- add EU4.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.
- start the game with no mods active and test

In particular make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam EU4 or Documents EU4 locations, before installing again.

Also if you have installed RivaTuner, RadeonPro, or a gaming VPN app called Evolve, or the MSI Gaming App, or Duet, disable it as it clashes with this game.

IF NEITHER OF THOSE HELP:
DXDIAG is a program you run from the Windows search box on the task bar. After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach here your Documents/Paradox Interactive/EU4/settings.txt and pdx_settings.txt .
From your Documents/Paradox Interactive/EU4/logs/ folder, attach here system.log , error.log .

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thank you very much for the quick answer! I spent the evening trying every single step, still doesn't work :/

Here's the files:

Attachments

• dxdiag.txt
    84,3 KB · Views: 0
  • pdx_settings.txt
    269 bytes · Views: 0
  • settings.txt
    2,1 KB · Views: 0
  • error.log
    4 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    4,5 KB · Views: 0
From that error log this looks like a DirectX or video driver problem. And in that dxdiag we see radeon_software.exe crashing, so let's start there.

- uninstall the AMD driver and all other Radeon/Catalyst software with tis tool:
- reboot
- install the latest by fresh download from here:
- reboot again

I hope that helps! Because otherwise we likely have a Windows or hardware fault I'm afraid.

This could also be the result of an outdated mod. Have a look at the playsets section of the launcher to make sure that there is no mod active.

Disclaimer: I'm not working for Paradox. I'm just trying to help people.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This could also be the result of an outdated mod. Have a look at the playsets section of the launcher to make sure that there is no mod active.

Disclaimer: I'm not working for Paradox. I'm just trying to help people.
Yeah it was this!

When I created a different playset in order to play without mod, the new playset didn't launch by default so I was always launching with the "Better Terra Incognita Mod". This was the issue, but I didn't noticed before checking again this afternoon.

Thank you guys! ;)

Last edited: