Unable to declare war against overlord. What am I doing wrong?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Awoogamuffin

Private
38 Badges
Dec 7, 2018
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Surviving Mars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Prison Architect
  • War of the Roses
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
Hello!

I decided I wanted to try a tall game and I picked Ionia. The experience has been fun and interesting, and gosh am I civilised. So much research! Such happy civilians!

But now has come the time to throw off the yoke of Phrygia. Sadly, this appears to be the one game I've played where Phrygia hasn't collapsed, but I've made a few friends and want to have a go at it. But there's no option for me to declare war!

Phrygia is not currently at war, and I have plenty of claims on them. We both have negative opininos of each other. The declare war button is not even greyed out. It simply is not there. If I open diplomacy on other nations the button is there, but greyed out because I'm a subject nation. Any ideas? I've searched and searched the internet but no luck yet.

I'd greatly appreciate any help

The most efficient way to break free is to do the insult until -200, then work on causing a civil war that you are a part of the group that goes with the revolt not the original. The alliances change only at that time due to Phrygia having 'protected status'. Now the BEST way is for the very beginning to have 'One-Eye' give to BOTH Eygpt and Selecuids the eastern part of his territory. This loses his original capital and then it will pick a fight with Macedon/Thrace. That western area of Anatolia is the worst to break away from, the fastest I have done it is in the year 500+ range after the 3rd ruler of Phrygia Gontas dies. After that you also can wait can have another place like Cappadoia rebel, and join in the rebellion with you negative loyalty, which they are known to do after being oppressed to do most of the killing for Phrygia.

I like all that advice, but I'm afraid I'm already at maximum negative impace from insults (-200) and still can't declare war or anything. Reading online suggests I should be able to declare war, so I'm starting to suspect this is just a bug. How disappointing.

Could it be because they are a great power? They're just so powerful I don't even have the option to declare war?

-- edit --

It's not that. The seleukids are a great power and the declare war button appears

-- final edit --

I squirmed my way out of it: I asked Rome to be my new overlord. Then I coujld declare war (a very nonchalant war) on them and become independent. Still can't declare war on Phrygia.

I'm sure it's a bug. I've just noticed that when I hover over phrygia in dipomatic map mode it says we're currently fighting as allies in a war, even though neither of us are at war. I suppose something bugged out while I was becomming a disloyal subject and now we're forever flagged as being allied in a nonexistent war. I'm sad now...

Last edited:
Just a theory, as I have never played as subject of someone in IR...but to me it looks like it is intended that you can't break free as Feudatory:

FeudatoryCannotCancelRelation.jpg

To me that line says that the subejct "can not cancel this relation on their own" - if an independence war would be an exception, then I would write as designer "can not cancel this relation on their own peacefully".

There are exceptions though for countries like Athen with unique Mission trees, which specially allow breaking free as mission task.

Hey! Thanks for the theory

The thing is, I am now free. As I said, I first did it by inviting Rome to be my new overlord then declaring war on Rome. I'm now an independent nation, but Phrygia and I are flagged as being in a war together even though we aren't. By the way, how did you share screenshots like that? I'd love to be able to do the same to show what's going on.

In any case I'm convinced its a bug

By the way, how did you share screenshots like that? I'd love to be able to do the same to show what's going on.In any case I'm convinced its a bug

If you reply to apost, first upload the screenshot with "Attach Files" and after it has been uploaded, press "FULL IMAGE" - it will get then inserted where ever you current position in the reply is (blinking "|"); it is displayed like this until (ATTACH=full]584772[/ATTACH) there until you finish the post.

ScreenshotInPost.jpg

Hello!

I decided I wanted to try a tall game and I picked Ionia. The experience has been fun and interesting, and gosh am I civilised. So much research! Such happy civilians!

But now has come the time to throw off the yoke of Phrygia. Sadly, this appears to be the one game I've played where Phrygia hasn't collapsed, but I've made a few friends and want to have a go at it. But there's no option for me to declare war!

Phrygia is not currently at war, and I have plenty of claims on them. We both have negative opininos of each other. The declare war button is not even greyed out. It simply is not there. If I open diplomacy on other nations the button is there, but greyed out because I'm a subject nation. Any ideas? I've searched and searched the internet but no luck yet.

I'd greatly appreciate any help
I believe that if you were forced into a war (ie. your overlord was declared upon) you cannot declare war on your ally (which in that case would be your overlord).

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yes it sound very much that the case is you are at war together with your overlord which will happen if you are considered loyal, which is at +33 loyalty. To reduce you can reduce your relationship with your overlord by insulting them. Once you are under 33 loyalty you wont join wars that your overlord declare and also you will Count towards the overlord rebellion, and once the rebellion tick of you will join on the rebellion side and automatically be at war with your overlord.

Hey! Thanks for the theory

The thing is, I am now free. As I said, I first did it by inviting Rome to be my new overlord then declaring war on Rome. I'm now an independent nation, but Phrygia and I are flagged as being in a war together even though we aren't. By the way, how did you share screenshots like that? I'd love to be able to do the same to show what's going on.

In any case I'm convinced its a bug
Ghost wars have happened when the state of the peace causes a change in one or more of the nations involved in a feudatory war. All those nations seems to get stuck in an endless war involving the original overlord. I had one of my 1.2 games get ruined by that same bug. Its a state bug, especially when it involves Selecuid changing to Persian Empire resetting ALL of its prior relations, but it seems to break when a player is involved.

I'm sure it's this.

Ghost wars have happened when the state of the peace causes a change in one or more of the nations involved in a feudatory war. All those nations seems to get stuck in an endless war involving the original overlord. I had one of my 1.2 games get ruined by that same bug. Its a state bug, especially when it involves Selecuid changing to Persian Empire resetting ALL of its prior relations, but it seems to break when a player is involved.

As I've said, I'm already completely independent, neither myself nor Phrygia is in a war, but hovering over them while in diplomacy mode says we're in a war together. Something bugged out. I'll try again some day.

I'm thinking about going for the city with 100 civilization achievment. Just waiting for research to play out. Is there any other way to boost a city's civilization past the maximum cap? I read that markets used to do it but they don't seem to anymore... Apart from research, is there another ay to boost the max cap?

I'm thinking about going for the city with 100 civilization achievment. Just waiting for research to play out. Is there any other way to boost a city's civilization past the maximum cap? I read that markets used to do it but they don't seem to anymore... Apart from research, is there another ay to boost the max cap?
Certain resources, especially marble give civilization value.

Ok great! thanks for all the advice. I've accidentally got myself into a war with Egypt (when trying to figure out who I could and could not declare war on) so I'm just going to hunker down and hope for the best.

On a side note, I appreciate how friendly and helpful this forum has been!